OP
UTC

Lurker

Lurker
UTC quote
I found a 1978 Vespa Grande Pedal Moped on craigslist and am interested. Any questions you recommend I ask before purchasing? I've never purchased one before so all advice is very much appreciated.

Here are my questions -
Is $900 a fair price for this moped? There are about 900ish miles on the 49cc bike.

How would you park it so that it wouldn't get stolen? Is there a "lock" feature like on a motorcycle?

Thanks!

https://images.craigslist.org/00j0j_ikUre5DTKBI_600x450.jpg
From the ad...
"Vintage Pedal start Moped. Vespa Grande all original two stroke. All lights, switches, horn and speedometer work. Texas title in hand, street legal ready to ride, and get registered. Seat is in great shape for its age, has the side covers and top cover. Automatic, just twist and go. This model was designed for an extra rider if wanted. One of the few mopeds that could carry two riders, with longer seat and rear pegs."
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Info at Moped Army - https://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Vespa_Grande

PDF manual - https://martysgarage.info/manuals/vespa-grande.pdf

Treatland, et al, have some parts - https://www.treatland.tv/vespa-piaggio-ciao-moped-parts-s/3.htm

Value? In 2012, a fully reconditioned '82 sold for $850...

Security - eehhhhh... Nerd emoticon
@lango avatar
UTC

Hooked
62 VBB 64 GL Rally 200s 74s-76-77 P200s 79-82

Hooked
@lango avatar
UTC quote
Kryptonite makes a fairly stout chain and lock kit. I use one of those on an Ebike. What is the condition of the bike? Is it all there? What can you find in comp sales? It is interesting that it is a 2 passenger 49cc machine. Does the rear passenger get to pedal? Who can service this for you when it needs work? I can see why it looks interesting. I suggest you ride it and learn more about it before you throw cash at it. The $900.00 is a bit steep There was a blue one sold for $750.00 with a rack. You will want the rack.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vespa-Moped-/163119298556?hash=item25faaaf7fc%3Ag%3Ay-EAAOSwhHFbMqsh&_nkw=Vespa+Grande+Moped&_from=R40&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc&nma=true&si=QYFUyzwr75GVx1JlAUdJXLC5vzc%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Do your research and learn about it as much as possible. Take pictures of it after you ride it. If its mint and garaged stored that could be interesting. Once you have to start replacing bits, its going to be not as much fun. Did I mention its going to be slow?
@lango avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@lango avatar
UTC quote
I would also plan to do a fuel system and carb rebuild. Even if it starts right up and runs perfectly. Why, because unless it has been used and maintained consistently, modern fuel with alcohol does at least two not so great things. 1. the alcohol content damages aluminum and rubber. 2. The alcohol content causes the fuel mixture to have a short shelf life and the fuel breaks down and causes varnishing of the fuel system. ( I am not a chemist I have just experienced this). I picked up a beautiful scooter that starts first kick when cold. However when I rode it a little farther than I did when I was shopping it the fuel system failed to deliver fuel and 2T oil. 2 Strokes when they are not happy let you know by locking up the rear tire. Im guessing a moped will keep rolling.
@drona avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
59 Vespa, 65 Vespa, 66 Vespa, 57 Vespa

Molto Verboso
@drona avatar
59 Vespa, 65 Vespa, 66 Vespa, 57 Vespa
UTC quote
I'm very familiar with these, and that seems to be a good price without seeing it in person and riding it around.
Thankfully it's not the US version with the battery, so no blinkers.
Two things to check..
Rust inside of the fuel tank... the fuel tank is in the frame.. a complete SOB to clean out if so.
The motor frame isn't cracked,
Usually it's the right side.. pull off the cover and inspect.
Although it can ride two people, most States that is illegal and you won't be going any faster than 20mph.
Also..
These are the largest/heaviest moped made back in the day.
Modding these out to gain maybe 5mph more is $$$

Good luck
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0110s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0028s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]