OP
UTC

Lurker
2016 Vespa Sprint 150

Lurker
2016 Vespa Sprint 150
UTC quote
Hello everyone! Brand new to the Vespa world - I have a 2016 Vespa Sprint with just over 700 miles. Has a small oil drip coming from below after riding - only drips about a small amount about the size of a quarter. Any idea on why? What could possibly be loose? See photo for location of drip.

Thanks for the help!
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT
UTC quote
My first thought/hope would be the oil filter not tight enough. Give it a twist and see if you can get it to turn.

Then check the drain plug to see if it is wet with oil.

Anything beyond that becomes bad news.
@tom_jones avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GTS 150 3v SUPER. Vespa V100 x 1. Lambretta Li150 x 1. Px 125 x 2. Px 200 x 1 (red bull special) T5 Classic x 1. Vespa Cosa x 2.CF moto 650mt

Hooked
@tom_jones avatar
Vespa GTS 150 3v SUPER. Vespa V100 x 1. Lambretta Li150 x 1. Px 125 x 2. Px 200 x 1 (red bull special) T5 Classic x 1. Vespa Cosa x 2.CF moto 650mt
UTC quote
Also make sure your cylinder head bolts are bolted down to the correct torque. Mine was leaking oil and that was the problem. A loose bolt.

Tom
OP
UTC

Lurker
2016 Vespa Sprint 150

Lurker
2016 Vespa Sprint 150
UTC quote
Seems the plug and filter are on tight. What is the best way to access and tighten the cylinder head bolts?

Sorry - total newbie on motorcycle engines - any good post reccomendations to help me get familiar with the anatomy?
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
BV400, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125

Ossessionato
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC quote
Do you know if it has had its "first service" done yet? If not, or if you don't know, 700 miles might be a good time to have that done. The oil filter and drain plug would be checked at that time, and you could ask the service tech to look for other leaks.
OP
UTC

Lurker
2016 Vespa Sprint 150

Lurker
2016 Vespa Sprint 150
UTC quote
Yes the first service was completed so service isn't due until 3250. Could it be a function of the engine not being broken in yet?
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC quote
epditt wrote:
Yes the first service was completed so service isn't due until 3250. Could it be a function of the engine not being broken in yet?
I was thinking it might even be caused by that first service, if it was done recently. The filter or plug not tight, or perhaps just some stray spilled oil running down from the filler hole.

I can't see oil in the photo. But anyway, carefully clean around the filter and drain plug so you can see any new drops coming from them. Has it dripped for long, or just a few days?
@cosmos avatar
UTC

Addicted
2009 LX 150, 2024 GTS Super

Addicted
@cosmos avatar
2009 LX 150, 2024 GTS Super
UTC quote
I had a small oil leak on my new LX150. It came from the oil pressure switch. The dealer snugged it up and the leak was gone.

Bill
@waspmike avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold) Now Honda Zoomer X

Ossessionato
@waspmike avatar
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold) Now Honda Zoomer X
UTC quote
epditt wrote:
Sorry - total newbie on motorcycle engines -
Seems the answer is go to the dealership and complain and say it didn't leak before the first service. If it is a common fault they will know exactly what to do.
@tom_jones avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@tom_jones avatar
UTC quote
waspmike wrote:
epditt wrote:
Sorry - total newbie on motorcycle engines -
Seems the answer is go to the dealership and complain and say it didn't leak before the first service. If it is a common fault they will know exactly what to do.
I concur. If you're not sure get it back to the dealer. I know its a hassle but in the meantime download a workshop manual from this forum. Have a read and things will become a lot clearer.

Good luck.

Tom.
@super-fly avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa GTS300ie

Molto Verboso
@super-fly avatar
Vespa GTS300ie
UTC quote
Im thinking the sprint engine has the valves checked at 1st service , Possibly leak from rocker cover
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
Clean it up good with degreaser, dawn dishwashing soap, or whatever you have lying around. Then take a look at it after a short ride. Still a mystery? Clean again and try to dust the area with baby powder, corn starch, etc.. to help you find the source.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0191s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0100s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]