OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Can you plug in your battery tender jr. 750ma to the cigarette lighter. My understanding is only if the plug is hot all the time.

Will this ruin anything? Does it work on any scooter with this lighter plug in?
UTC

Hooked
BV250

Hooked
BV250
UTC quote
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. If the wire is too thin or too long (from 12 v outlet to battery), the voltage drop will defeat the charging.

https://www.amazon.com/Deltran-Battery-Tender-Cigarette-Adapter/dp/B0024X2SC4
@fogie avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@fogie avatar
UTC quote
I have been running battery minders through cigarette lighter adapters for years; I currently use a CTEK. I don't like the idea of a hot-wired adapter; so, I run them through a switch mounted under the seat. I've had no problems.
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
BV400, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125

Ossessionato
@jkj-fz6 avatar
BV400, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125
UTC quote
Re: Battery tender Jr. cigarette lighter
zwniana wrote:
Will this ruin anything? Does it work on any scooter with this lighter plug in?
This may be the only case, but we have a Kymco Grand Vista (aka Grand Dink) that has a light to show when something is plugged in to the socket under the seat. I once tried charging through the socket and now the "Phone Charger" light is on all the time. Must have burned out a current sensing circuit. The light's annoying but no other harm done.
UTC

Ossessionato
2018 Vespa GTS 300 ABS- Bianco

Ossessionato
UTC quote
In general, cigarette lighter outlets are not the better choice for electrical outlets. Sure they work but a "DIN, Hella, BMW, Powerlet"(pick the name you like best) outlet is better as is the SAE connection that came with a Battery Tender. I have 5 Battery Tenders and one very nice CTEK charger. The CTEK's come with no SAE and use their own bastard connection which is good but not common, at the same time.
The best choice, (not the only choice, of course) electrically speaking is to use a battery maintainer connected directly to the battery.
I'm in process now of installing a DIN Powerlet in the left shoulder panel of my scoot. My battery direct SAE connection dangles slightly at the rear of my battery cover and uses one of the pile of SAE leads that I got with my Battery Tenders. FWIW-I have a bunch of these as I've had several BT's go bad. I use some weather proof BT's (RV use, etc.) and some not.
Also, some devices are best used (typically fused, mind you) directly to the battery, which is an even longer discussion...
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Am I allowed to ask a non Vespa question I wonder if the cigarette lighter will work on my xmax without it burning out a fuse.
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
The "if it will work" answer is related first to the fact that a cig ltr receptacle is a 15amp limit device and then you have the vehicles specific circuit and those limits? You''l need to look at the size fuse that that connection leads to?
The smaller DIN connectors are also 15 amp outlets. Then there's the weatherproofness of the outlet.
My experience with the BMW use of Powerlets is the relative humidity turns the brass green and ~ once a yr you must disconnect them and twist some steel wool inside or use 3M non metal scouring pad you can leave connected. They are "sort of" weatherproof is my point as the cap seals just enough to not get shorts. If you've ever owned a Euro car?, some of them the cig lighters outlets are a bastard size and makes insertion tight of what have you stuff.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
A motorcycle battery tender gives out 800mA at the most - so fine through any ciggie lighter socket.
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
Not to argue, but my further point wasn't the output of a BT it was which power source to choose for a better connection.
Cig ltr outlets are just OK as a hookup-that's where this mechanic will stay.
I will add that all battery maintenance/trickle chargers are NOT!!! alike.
I ruined an expensive bass boat, deep cell battery using what I thought was a good one. It was a Die hard Sears I bought on clearance when a Kmart was closing. It put out too much juice as it was designed poorly for the long term hook up situation. RV chargers are also poor long term storage battery maintenance devices.
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
UTC quote
Kantuckid wrote:
It put out too much juice as it was designed poorly for the long term hook up situation. RV chargers are also poor long term storage battery maintenance devices.
I bet the problem wasn't voltage, it was that it didn't Auto Shut off. Cheap chargers don't in most cases.
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
Kantuckid wrote:
It put out too much juice as it was designed poorly for the long term hook up situation. RV chargers are also poor long term storage battery maintenance devices.
I bet the problem wasn't voltage, it was that it didn't Auto Shut off. Cheap chargers don't in most cases.
Are there any better ones than BT?
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
UTC quote
zwniana wrote:
WEB-Tech wrote:
Kantuckid wrote:
Are there any better ones than BT?
They seem to be the best.
He didn't say he had problems was a Battery Tender Brand product.
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
Die Hard sears made in China and not a cheap choice either. It had an off/on feature.
BT's are not immune to going bad as I've thrown away several. They back them up but over time the warranty does go away. I've had both the weather proof version and the open version go bad.
CETEK sells several models, mine, much more dinero than a BT, is an unknow w/o looking but it does have a bunch of features like de-sulphation, and does a battery check for you, stuff not found with BT.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0110s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0016s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]