OP
UTC

Vespa PX 125

Vespa PX 125
UTC quote
Basically I went to get on my bike after being at the gym and it had been knocked over. The person had picked the bike back up.

The bike starts and runs fine it's just where the bike had fallen hard onto the handlebar the throttle had jammed up. I got some mole grips and managed to free it but I think there is a washer behind the throttle which has bent and causing the throttle to stick? I saw on sip you can buy throttle washers?

The handle bars and wheel feel slightly out of line?

Has anyone got any info on how to resolve these issues. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also the panel needs beating out and resparying if anyone knows of someone around the south London area.

Thank you for your time Oscar
UTC

Molto Verboso
One or two fun scoots....nothing too precious

Molto Verboso
One or two fun scoots....nothing too precious
UTC quote
Any CCTV footage? I'd want the careless individual to pay for the damage. I'm assuming you did not park your scooter inconsiderately.

You'll want to loosen the headset bolt if the headset and fork are out of line. A simple drop should not have bent anything. Just hold the front wheel/mudguard between your knees and align the headset by eye. You can get creative with a line drawn on the floor to get it perfectly straight. Retighten the bolt to spec.

Regarding the throttle, trying pulling it out slightly to loosen. Failing that, you'll want the headset top off to check for hidden damage.
OP
UTC

Vespa PX 125

Vespa PX 125
UTC quote
Swa45 thanks for your message. Ok perfect I'll take a look and get the headset off. Yeah scoot was parked fine. No cctv as was a small side road in tooting. I don't think I'll ever catch them. It's just one of those annoying things. Just want to get the scoot sorted.

Thanks for your time
UTC

parallelogramerist

parallelogramerist
UTC quote
That throttle washer is supposed to be "bent". It's a "wavy" washer that's designed to take up extra space so that the throttle tube doesn't rattle around. There are also a couple flat washer on the throttle tube as well. Perhaps your throttle tube got bent? I've bent 3 or 4 of mine.
OP
UTC

Vespa PX 125

Vespa PX 125
UTC quote
Ok thank you Is the throttle tube an easy fix. Is it a case of taking off the Speedo cover.

Thank you

Oscar
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up
UTC quote
Just want to say sorry to hear about the incident. If anyone here can empathize trust me I'm that guy. 3 times in the last 6 months I've have had damage done to my legally parked rides. Twice they were knocked over.
UTC

parallelogramerist

parallelogramerist
UTC quote
Ozziegoode wrote:
Ok thank you Is the throttle tube an easy fix. Is it a case of taking off the Speedo cover.

Thank you

Oscar
Yes, just remove the headset cover, pull out a retaining clip, then slide out the tube. And if it isn't the tube that's causing the issue, you'll most likely be able to tell what the issue is once the headset cover is removed.
UTC

Ossessionato
Vespas 1964 GS160, 1965 SS180, 1977 V9A1T, 1983 PX150E

Ossessionato
UTC quote
I've dealt with this twice, once my fault because the rubber stand boots had worn through and it caused the whole thing to wobble and fall over on uneven pavement. The other was a 'mystery fall over'.

The throttle tube has a thin metal shoulder that stops the tube from pushing all the way into the headset. When it falls over, the metal shoulder usually gets bent and jammed into the tube opening. As the above poster has said, you'll have to remove the headlight to access the D clip or bolt holding the tube and its washers into the headset. Remove those and then use a visegrip and or rubber mallet to get the tube out.

The metal shoulder can then easily be bent and shaped back into its original state with a bench vise, pliers, etc. After that, reinstall.
@subetherbass avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1997 Italjet Formula 125, 2 matching N.Z. '69 VBC Super, 177cc Racer, VespaCross Bodge, Puch SRA150, Piaggio Zip 100! & others

Ossessionato
@subetherbass avatar
1997 Italjet Formula 125, 2 matching N.Z. '69 VBC Super, 177cc Racer, VespaCross Bodge, Puch SRA150, Piaggio Zip 100! & others
UTC quote
Déjà vu
I did a search & found a similar post on the topic
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
Re: Déjà vu
SubEtherBASS wrote:
I think it's the same dude asking the same question. Maybe he accidentally posted a repeat.
UTC

parallelogramerist

parallelogramerist
UTC quote
Re: Déjà vu
nomadinsiam wrote:
SubEtherBASS wrote:
I think it's the same dude asking the same question. Maybe he accidentally posted a repeat.
maybe the scooter got knocked over again...
@subetherbass avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@subetherbass avatar
UTC quote
whodatschrome wrote:
nomadinsiam wrote:
SubEtherBASS wrote:
maybe the scooter got knocked over again...
Too true... plus there is NO PHOTO so noone here can "assess" the "damage"
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0204s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0110s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]