OP
UTC

Lurker
LX 50

Lurker
LX 50
UTC quote
Hi, new to the forum. I recently bought my wife a low mileage 2009 S50 in excellent condition. A week ago, she left the key turned on, and it ran the battery down to nothing. I discovered this when I was prepping the scooter for a dent removal fellow to work on it. For that job, I unplugged and moved a module inside the right rear (the CDI?) out of the way. Now, with a new battery installed, and the module plugged back in, it cranks but will not start.

Could she have fried something electronic by leaving the key turned on for several days?

Could I have tripped some anti-theft or re-set function when I unplugged the module?

I appreciate any help. Thanks. Andy
@franknbrew avatar
UTC

Addicted
2006 LX 50

Addicted
@franknbrew avatar
2006 LX 50
UTC quote
Make sure the spark plug wire hasn't pulled out of the CDI under the rubber boot. Slide the boot down the plug wire, seat the end snugly inside the CDI, then slide the boot back down.
@pinkscooter avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 250ie Super, Italjet Velocifero, Scarabeo 150, S50, ET4, ET2

Addicted
@pinkscooter avatar
UTC quote
Make sure the kill switch is on as in the run position. If the plug cap is tight then check to be sure that you are getting a spark. Pull the plug, not an easy job, then ground it to the engine and run the starter. I use a 1/4" fuel line to get the plug out, see below. If you have spark then put it back together and make sure the cap is on tight. Then check that the fuel and vacuum lines are connected and in good shape. Pull the fuel line and crank it and see if you get fuel. Checking compression is almost impossible with the engine in. If you have small hands put you finger over the spark plug hole and crank the engine. It should push you finger away.

If you have spark, compression and fuel it should start. Also be sure that the hose from the carb to the sensor from the CDI is attached properly, sorry no picture. let me know if you need one.
I loosen with the wrench then get this onto the plug and turn it to remove, I install the same way.
I loosen with the wrench then get this onto the plug and turn it to remove, I install the same way.
OP
UTC

Lurker
LX 50

Lurker
LX 50
UTC quote
Thanks for your thoughts on this. What do you think I should check next if I don't have a spark?
@pinkscooter avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@pinkscooter avatar
UTC quote
Try a new plug, not cheap and not readily available at a auto parts store, but it could be that simple and it may be time for one. The plug wire connection at both ends, tighten them. Check that the stator is sending a signal to the CDI. That the CDI is sending a signal to the coil. You could throw money at new parts but if the stator isn't sending a signal then you'll be wasting your money. When you check for signal be sure the connections are all good. Get back and let us know what you find.

Edit: Your just up the road from me in Hickory. Maybe when I have some time off next week I can look at it for you.
OP
UTC

Lurker
LX 50

Lurker
LX 50
UTC quote
Thanks, Pinkscooter. I will try the diagnostics you recommend. I think the service manual gives the details. I'll let you know what I find. Thanks for yourkind offer of help, too. I may need it!
Andy
OP
UTC

Lurker
LX 50

Lurker
LX 50
UTC quote
Okay, feeling a little stupid, here. While reviewing the wiring diagram for the S50, I noticed that it has two additional fuses -- tucked away out of sight behind the front panel. Checked them out and, you guessed it, one was blown. (In my defense, my LX50 doesn't have these two fuses, only the one by the battery. So of course I thought S50 had only one fuse, too. Alas, it has three!)

Bottom line, wife's scooter is back on the road!
@berto avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2006 LX150 (carbed) | 2007 GT200

Molto Verboso
@berto avatar
2006 LX150 (carbed) | 2007 GT200
UTC quote
akstraw wrote:
Okay, feeling a little stupid, here. While reviewing the wiring diagram for the S50, I noticed that it has two additional fuses -- tucked away out of sight behind the front panel. Checked them out and, you guessed it, one was blown. (In my defense, my LX50 doesn't have these two fuses, only the one by the battery. So of course I thought S50 had only one fuse, too. Alas, it has three!)

Bottom line, wife's scooter is back on the road!
Great!! Glad you figured it out!
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0444s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0204s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]