OP
@expaladin avatar
UTC

2006 LX150

@expaladin avatar
2006 LX150
UTC quote
I bought the little crash bar for the front fender of my 150lx. The one that mounts via three bolts (one on each side and one in front) that you tighten from inside the fender so they kind of pinch the fender.

I'm not impressed with this set up. The bar is more clinging to the fender than it is mounted to the scooter (the rear bar assembly makes way more sense).

Anyone come up with a better solution, short of drilling holes in the fender and bolting on the crash bar?

Thanks!
@miguel avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@miguel avatar
UTC quote
I have the same bumper on my 250. It's been there 9 years and I haven't had any problems with it coming off. You might put some thread locker solution from loctite on before installing. I'd suggest the blue. It will lock it but you can force it apart. Don't use the red. It'll never come apart. I try to check it every time I do a service but often forget.

I agree is not the best solution. The body crash bars are held on the same way. No problem there either

Best Miguel
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150
UTC quote
Miguel wrote:
I'd suggest the blue. It will lock it but you can force it apart. Don't use the red. It'll never come apart.
Best Miguel
Red does release with a little heat from a heat gun
UTC

Ossessionato
2018 Vespa GTS 300 ABS- Bianco

Ossessionato
UTC quote
IMO, which is the thread idea-
Given that I don't get the purpose of those guards? If they guard anything in action then you have an damage either way-with guard or not? maybe even more damage with, than without?
Dead weight and a bit cheesy for my taste but that's a personal choice.
I'd avoid the holes, return the guard and use touch-up paint if your fender gets a scratch. Mine had an edge scratch which was easily touched up with a small artists brush and some black gloss paint.
Loctite should be used on any PTW thread that doesn't have a locknut or lock washer involved-or mechanical device like a cotter key. I really like the blue solid stick, lipstick style sold in several brands. There are actually many Locktite products with lots of technical applications, blue & red are the more common versions we see in retail sale.
What fastner parts came with the guard?
@sixpence avatar
UTC

Hooked
None at present

Hooked
@sixpence avatar
None at present
UTC quote
Never had a problem with the "pinch" system.

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory textPhoto-0123 by Lesley Morrison, on Flickr

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory textNearside by Lesley Morrison, on Flickr
OP
@expaladin avatar
UTC

2006 LX150

@expaladin avatar
2006 LX150
UTC quote
Just 3 bolts.

Weight of the guard is negligible.
Kantuckid wrote:
@miguel avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@miguel avatar
UTC quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
Miguel wrote:
I'd suggest the blue. It will lock it but you can force it apart. Don't use the red. It'll never come apart.
Best Miguel
Red does release with a little heat from a heat gun
I sorta knew that because its just an epoxy and epoxy softens when heated. I don't know about how hot it has to get to soften but on the OP application where the screw would be right up against the fender, you can't apply much heat because you don't want to melt the fender.

Thanks for the tip and reminder.

Best
Miguel
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
Expaladin wrote:
Just 3 bolts.

Weight of the guard is negligible.
Kantuckid wrote:
What I was asking about fastners was relative to if they had a locking feature, not how many, since locktite came up, which you would not need if they locked on. I will say that many Vespa screws don't have locktite on them at least on mine. By dead weight I meant weight with no purpose, not that they are heavy in ounces.
To further make my point, let's say your fender bumps whatever, guess what? The thingy thats supposed to protect the fender(which is pretty tough & flexible plastic) gets a scratch. The result is then that you have that scratch, not the one that would have gone on the fender. Unlike a car or truck bumper which has some beef going on or actual shock absorption. There's my notion.
OP
@expaladin avatar
UTC

2006 LX150

@expaladin avatar
2006 LX150
UTC quote
Gotcha. No locking fasteners. Just the three bolts. The whole little bumper is held in place entirely by friction. Wouldn't bother me if it weren't perched right above the front wheel.
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
They seem to be a scooter and a cruiser thing as all other front fenders on PTW's are just there no guards. Engines get the guards, along with hands.
UTC

Primavera 150 & GTS300 Super

Primavera 150 & GTS300 Super
UTC quote
Had one fall off going over rr tracks scared the hell out of me. It's not going back on roads are too rough around here.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0112s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0017s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]