@waspman avatar
UTC

Addicted
2005 GTS 250ie

Addicted
@waspman avatar
2005 GTS 250ie
UTC quote
Oh joy, I had seepage of oil from the oil pressure sensor and acquired a new copper washer for it. The sensor came our very easily and on the way back in quickly stripped the thread from the crankcase. I suspect the thread was on the way out and not the washer that was causing the leak.

The Problem - I feel quite confident about using a helicoil....but.... I'm going to have to drill and tap a hole that leads direct to the crank case. I can't see any way to prevent the ingress of swarf into the crank case.

The Question - has anyone any tricks to get this done so that I can avoid removing the engine and splitting the crank case?

Help! We're in the middle of the best summer for ages and I have a dead scooter.
@vintage_red_matthew avatar
UTC

MV Santa
GTS250, 1975 VBC, 1980 P200E cutdown

MV Santa
@vintage_red_matthew avatar
GTS250, 1975 VBC, 1980 P200E cutdown
UTC quote
Cover the tap in grease. Clean and regrease the tap often. The screen under the drain plug will get the rest. Change the oil and filter after 20 miles and again at 100 miles. You'll be fine.
@breaknwind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Red Devil SH150i (10,000)

Ossessionato
@breaknwind avatar
Red Devil SH150i (10,000)
UTC quote
You have to drill a larger hole and tap it to fit a Helicoil. Try this first, unless there's a temp. limit to it.
https://www.emisupply.com/catalog/loctite-28654-formathread-stripped-thread-repair-p-14284.html#.W2ebUpXD_IU
@waspmike avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold) Now Honda Zoomer X

Ossessionato
@waspmike avatar
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold) Now Honda Zoomer X
UTC quote
Vacuum cleaner
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150
UTC quote
After you drill the hole using grease on the bit, start the motor for a second and oil will shoot out of the hole along with any metal shavings that got in the passage.
Not sure how forcefully the oil will come out so be prepared for a strong stream.
@caschnd1 avatar
UTC

Grumpy Biker
1980 Vespa P200e (sold), 2002 Vespa ET4 (sold), 1949 Harley-Davidson FL

Grumpy Biker
@caschnd1 avatar
UTC quote
I'm not sure about the thread for the oil pressure fitting. Is it a tapered pipe thread? I had to repair a stripped oil pressure hole in a 69 year old set of Harley-Davidson engine cases a few years ago. It was a tapered pipe thread. I couldn't find a HeliCoil for it so I used a TimeSert. It was super simple, but in a difficult place to get to without removing the engine from the frame. Managed to get it done.

-Craig
OP
@waspman avatar
UTC

Addicted
2005 GTS 250ie

Addicted
@waspman avatar
2005 GTS 250ie
UTC quote
I've decided to do it by hand. I've bought a helicoil kit and a hand reamer. It's an M10 x 1mm pitch thread. The hole is deep so I'll plug it with some oiled rag and draw it out after I've tapped the thread.
@mikenpalsie avatar
UTC

Addicted
gt200

Addicted
@mikenpalsie avatar
gt200
UTC quote
thread repair
I have used loctite thread repair in the past, it works extremely well.
UTC

Ossessionato
2018 Vespa GTS 300 ABS- Bianco

Ossessionato
UTC quote
These "heli-coil" threads come up on MC threads often.
I did this kind of repair for a living. The first thing to know is if a thread repair is possible, or not, via a threaded insert. This involves knowing more than a little about the metal and the machine the threads are a part of. Much more to that than meets the eye!
Another factor is the reality that there are other brands and many styles of inserts-not just heli-coil. A simple e.g. is the version/brand called "Thin-sert". I'll give you one guess why that name.
To use them you must have room to drill. Some types can be inserted w/o a specialized tool using a double nutted bolt, it varies. They usually come in a pkg. of several so ebay's a good place to pick onesies up. The mail cost more than the inserts at times. You need to know thread sizes and metal strengths to avoid costly damage to a larger part. At times it not worth the learning curve on a repair. A pictures valuable if you ask for advice.
Most AP's stores will carry the ones applicable to damaged spark plug holes.
Grainger is in many cities and you can buy online and do a desk pickup. Fastenal carries some brands and sizes.
Go in slow and don't do anything until you have a workable plan.
@caschnd1 avatar
UTC

Grumpy Biker

Grumpy Biker
@caschnd1 avatar
UTC quote
^^^^ Thin-Sert? Are you sure? The only Thin-Sert I could find any information on is for dental implants. Are you confusing Thin-Sert with Time-Sert? Time-Sert is the thread repair insert I was recommending above.

If Thin-Sert is really the name, I'd like more info. I like to keep up with all my options for thread repair.

-Craig
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
Brain fart, Time-Sert it is.
EZ-Lock's too and a few others. What curved my memory (other than being kind old @ near 75) is that fact that some versions are thinner than others.
My main point sticks though that heli-coil is one possible solution.
Some brands thinner, some longer some different materials-lots of them out there overall.
In the hardware realm- There's a guy on ADV right now claiming lock washers are obsolete. There's an interesting concept.
@caschnd1 avatar
UTC

Grumpy Biker

Grumpy Biker
@caschnd1 avatar
UTC quote
There are definitely a lot of options. This is why I try to keep up with it. What works great for one repair, might not do it for another. I gotta admit though, Time-Sert is my "go to" solution unless there is a reason it won't work.

-Craig
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0134s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0046s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]