@kshansen avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTV300 (wife's)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1911
Location: Central New York
 
Molto Verboso
@kshansen avatar
GTV300 (wife's)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1911
Location: Central New York
UTC quote
Fudmucker wrote:
The supervisor is working from home on another continent?
Or maybe another planet?

To be honest back in 2015 when I was retiring the HR department was no better! So can't put too much blame on Covid.
@monogodo avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2017 Piaggio BV350
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1086
Location: Irving, TX
 
Molto Verboso
@monogodo avatar
2017 Piaggio BV350
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1086
Location: Irving, TX
UTC quote
First, some background (tl;dr at end):

I work for the printing department for our local school district. We're an Enterprise department, which I understand means that we can do work for people/organizations/businesses outside of the school district, and that we're expected to turn a profit. My 1-year anniversary at this job was last week.

I was at my previous job, another printing company, for 15 years, the last four of which were at one of their retail locations. In 2017, 2018, and 2019, we printed the Christmas cards & envelopes for my wife's boss, the Catholic Bishop of Dallas. In 2017 and 2018 I printed them on my Xerox color printer. In 2019 we sent them to our Houston location, because they have an offset press and could produce them faster, with better quality, at half the price. There were some issues due to shipping them from Houston to Dallas, but they (the Houston location) was good about rectifying them. It was the last print job I was responsible for at that company before changing jobs.

This year, I am once again printing them. Well, the cards are being printed at our main shop, because they have an offset press, and the bindery facilities and staff to take care of it. I'm responsible for printing the envelopes. Which brings me to what is pissing me off.

The work order is for just over 4000 envelopes. We ordered 5000 from the paper supplier. They delivered five cases to me, each case containing four boxes of 250 envelopes each, in theory. I can only load the envelopes into the machine in groups of 30 or so, so I've been counting them out into groups of 30. Every box of 250 has been short. The most that any box has held is 226. The fewest has been 203. I will end up with less than 100 extra envelopes when it is all complete, when I should have closer to 1000. I could understand them being short/over 5-10 per box on a few boxes, but to be short by at least 10% on every single box is unacceptable. I let my boss know, and he'll speak with the vendor about it.

tl;dr: vendor shorted 20 boxes of envelopes by at least 10%.
@kshansen avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTV300 (wife's)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1911
Location: Central New York
 
Molto Verboso
@kshansen avatar
GTV300 (wife's)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1911
Location: Central New York
UTC quote
monogodo wrote:
I will end up with less than 100 extra envelopes when it is all complete, when I should have closer to 1000. I could understand them being short/over 5-10 per box on a few boxes, but to be short by at least 10% on every single box is unacceptable. I let my boss know, and he'll speak with the vendor about it.

tl;dr: vendor shorted 20 boxes of envelopes by at least 10%.
Monogodo, maybe they were metric boxes of 250 not American 250's!

And as a side note the HR department I have been having trouble with is located in Irving Any chance if I give you the address you could go over there and give them a "dope slap"?
@monogodo avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2017 Piaggio BV350
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1086
Location: Irving, TX
 
Molto Verboso
@monogodo avatar
2017 Piaggio BV350
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1086
Location: Irving, TX
UTC quote
kshansen wrote:
monogodo wrote:
I will end up with less than 100 extra envelopes when it is all complete, when I should have closer to 1000. I could understand them being short/over 5-10 per box on a few boxes, but to be short by at least 10% on every single box is unacceptable. I let my boss know, and he'll speak with the vendor about it.

tl;dr: vendor shorted 20 boxes of envelopes by at least 10%.
Monogodo, maybe they were metric boxes of 250 not American 250's!

And as a side note the HR department I have been having trouble with is located in Irving Any chance if I give you the address you could go over there and give them a "dope slap"?
They probably have hefty security to avoid just that sort of thing from happening.
@monogodo avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2017 Piaggio BV350
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1086
Location: Irving, TX
 
Molto Verboso
@monogodo avatar
2017 Piaggio BV350
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1086
Location: Irving, TX
UTC quote
(tl;dr at end)

Back at the beginning of September (Labor Day Weekend, in fact), we had a gas line leak and had to have the service line from the meter to the house replaced. I'm sure I bitched about it here before.

Well, when the crew was working they damage the water line to the faucet in the backyard, which caused a leak. I only discovered the leak a month later when we received a water bill from the city that was 3x what it usually was. Our usage had gone from 2k gallons in a month, to 20k gallons. One would think there'd be a pond in the backyard, but we have a dry well that probably collected all the water.

Anyway, I went back & forth via text with the plumber, and he finally came out to fix it. He happened to come out the one day that both my wife and I weren't home. His fix was to simply cap the line. I again went back & forth with him via text (he doesn't like to use the phone for whatever reason) about it. I also mentioned that our gas heater in the living room didn't have gas going to it anymore. I understand it losing service, because I imagine that whoever initially set it up simply split off from the main service feed to it, so when that original line was cut at the meter and at the house, service to the heater was lost. I told him that I'd pay him to connect service to it if he'd repair the water line for free. He agreed.

I took the day off yesterday, and he and his helper came out to work on it. They arrived around noon, and had everything completed around 10 pm. It would have gone faster, but he had to leave 3 times to get supplies, each time taking about an hour (or more).

He was able to get the gas line put in. We had an extraneous gas connection in the kitchen that was split off of the feed to the stove. We had him reroute that to the attic, then run it over to the living room, then down to connect to the heater. This caused the heater to be relocated from one side of the room to the other, which we were fine with. They did good work on it, and everything worked out fine.

Then they went to address the water line. They dug it up, connected the lines, turned the water to the house back on, and water started pouring out of a line that had been cut near the house. The faucet in the back yard still didn't work. Since I thought the issue was with were the initial leak was, and because they'd have to dig up in the area near the house to find out what was going on there, and because it was 10pm and I was tired, I told them that they had done what I had asked them to do, and that I was ok with them simply capping the new leaking pipe and calling it a day. They were ok with that, and finished up and left.

So what is pissing me off is whichever previous owner of this house didn't do plumbing work to code, and took shortcuts without regard to future issues.

They covered the gas service line with the driveway concrete, and the garage concrete, and the addition foundation, thus ensuring the need for a complete replacement of the gas line should a leak ever occur. They didn't have cutoff valves installed where the water line entered the hot water heater, so when a leak occurred, we had to cut the water service to the house to have it worked on. They didn't have a cutoff valve installed where the gas line entered the house, so there was no way to do a proper pressure test of the gas line between the meter and the house. They ran water lines in weird patterns though the back yard. They ran electrical lines to the shed in the backyard, and used garden hose as conduit when they buried it. They put an electrical outlet in the additional living room, the stove (for the clock & oven igniter), an outlet in the kitchen, and the ceiling fan in the kitchen on one circuit. They ran three-wire electrical wire from the panel to all of the outlets, but didn't connect the ground wire to the panel or the outlet on about 1/3 to 1/2 of them, and simply cut off the ground wire at the outlet/panel. (I've marked which outlets are grounded, and we're careful with what we plug into them.)

tl;dr: owning an old house (built in 1948) that has had additions put in over the years can really suck at times.
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350
Joined: UTC
Posts: 12059
Location: Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350
Joined: UTC
Posts: 12059
Location: Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
UTC quote
monogodo wrote:
used garden hose as conduit when they buried it.
FTW!

I've enjoyed conversations with various contractors about DIY stuff they've seen (antenna wire to a power receptacle??), partly because they make me feel smart, and relieved that it's not MY house.

Sorry about your mess. Its probably good you're not face to face with the perpetrator (s).
@kshansen avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTV300 (wife's)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1911
Location: Central New York
 
Molto Verboso
@kshansen avatar
GTV300 (wife's)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1911
Location: Central New York
UTC quote
monogodo wrote:
kshansen wrote:
monogodo wrote:
I will end up with less than 100 extra envelopes when it is all complete, when I should have closer to 1000. I could understand them being short/over 5-10 per box on a few boxes, but to be short by at least 10% on every single box is unacceptable. I let my boss know, and he'll speak with the vendor about it.

tl;dr: vendor shorted 20 boxes of envelopes by at least 10%.
Monogodo, maybe they were metric boxes of 250 not American 250's!

And as a side note the HR department I have been having trouble with is located in Irving Any chance if I give you the address you could go over there and give them a "dope slap"?
They probably have hefty security to avoid just that sort of thing from happening.
You're probably right! It was just an idea.
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8508
Location: Toronto
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8508
Location: Toronto
UTC quote
Was going to post this in another thread then realized it belongs here.
RRider wrote:
They do have budget friendly versions too
Oh don't get me started on those. So last night after a long day my door lock breaks. Fortunately from the inside so I unscrew it and have a look after lots of swearing and 2 stiff drinks. They are also redesigning our floors in my building so new wallpaper , carpeting and paint etc. So frustrated and tired I'm trying to fix it while my door has damp paint, there is some worker across the hall painting some trim and some freakin' lady with her kid on a kick scooter wearing a helmet going up and down past my door saying "OK, my love you are doing so great" over and over again. Did I mention one neighbour is doing loud renos at the same time?

Seriously who says "my love" to their kid? Sure you can say you love your kid but "my love" over and over again?

I eventually just gave up and put a sock in the hole where the lock was and poured another drink and fixed the lock this morning.
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, Primavera, S50, too many pushbikes
Joined: UTC
Posts: 10247
Location: Hermit Kingdom
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
LX190 Friday afternoon special, Primavera, S50, too many pushbikes
Joined: UTC
Posts: 10247
Location: Hermit Kingdom
UTC quote
Some of y'all avatars were hurting my eyes because of the white boxes around them, so I did some cleaning up.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@max6200 avatar
UTC

Banned
2006 GTS 250
Joined: UTC
Posts: 10590
Location: KS USA
 
Banned
@max6200 avatar
2006 GTS 250
Joined: UTC
Posts: 10590
Location: KS USA
UTC quote
znomit wrote:
Some of y'all avatars were hurting my eyes because of the white boxes around them, so I did some cleaning up.
Thank you. I will talk to the designer and let her know about your distress. I think she
mentioned that the white box design was prooblematic 🙈🙉🙊
@max6200 avatar
UTC

Banned
2006 GTS 250
Joined: UTC
Posts: 10590
Location: KS USA
 
Banned
@max6200 avatar
2006 GTS 250
Joined: UTC
Posts: 10590
Location: KS USA
UTC quote
Max6200 wrote:
znomit wrote:
Some of y'all avatars were hurting my eyes because of the white boxes around them, so I did some cleaning up.
Thank you. I will talk to the designer and let her know about your distress. I think she
mentioned that the white box design was prooblematic 🙈🙉🙊
😒Done.
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, Primavera, S50, too many pushbikes
Joined: UTC
Posts: 10247
Location: Hermit Kingdom
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
LX190 Friday afternoon special, Primavera, S50, too many pushbikes
Joined: UTC
Posts: 10247
Location: Hermit Kingdom
UTC quote
Max6200 wrote:
Max6200 wrote:
znomit wrote:
Some of y'all avatars were hurting my eyes because of the white boxes around them, so I did some cleaning up.
Thank you. I will talk to the designer and let her know about your distress. I think she
mentioned that the white box design was prooblematic 🙈🙉🙊
😒Done.
Just proves that you can indeed improve on perfection.
@kshansen avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTV300 (wife's)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1911
Location: Central New York
 
Molto Verboso
@kshansen avatar
GTV300 (wife's)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1911
Location: Central New York
UTC quote
So do I need to modify my avatar? It is a scan of a pencil sketch.
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8508
Location: Toronto
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8508
Location: Toronto
UTC quote
kshansen wrote:
So do I need to modify my avatar? It is a scan of a pencil sketch.
Nah, too much detail would be lost. Besides I believe znomit did not get enough votes in the electoral college to be nominated the MV fashion cop. It was close and there might be a recount.
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, Primavera, S50, too many pushbikes
Joined: UTC
Posts: 10247
Location: Hermit Kingdom
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
LX190 Friday afternoon special, Primavera, S50, too many pushbikes
Joined: UTC
Posts: 10247
Location: Hermit Kingdom
UTC quote
kshansen wrote:
So do I need to modify my avatar? It is a scan of a pencil sketch.
I demand a recount!
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8508
Location: Toronto
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8508
Location: Toronto
UTC quote
znomit wrote:
kshansen wrote:
So do I need to modify my avatar? It is a scan of a pencil sketch.
I demand a recount!
I stand corrected and am impressed with your ability to use layers. After a recount it seems you have won by 537 votes.
@kshansen avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTV300 (wife's)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1911
Location: Central New York
 
Molto Verboso
@kshansen avatar
GTV300 (wife's)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1911
Location: Central New York
UTC quote
Harbinger wrote:
znomit wrote:
kshansen wrote:
So do I need to modify my avatar? It is a scan of a pencil sketch.
I demand a recount!
I stand corrected and am impressed with your ability to use layers. After a recount it seems you have won by 537 votes.
Was that a typo? did you mean to use the word lawyers in stead of layers?

I may have to hold a press conference at the local Jiffy Lube!
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8508
Location: Toronto
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8508
Location: Toronto
UTC quote
kshansen wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
znomit wrote:
kshansen wrote:
So do I need to modify my avatar? It is a scan of a pencil sketch.
I demand a recount!
I stand corrected and am impressed with your ability to use layers. After a recount it seems you have won by 537 votes.
Was that a typo? did you mean to use the word lawyers in stead of layers?

I may have to hold a press conference at the local Jiffy Lube!
Maybe.. That depends on what the meaning of layers is is.

While you try and find out how many of those votes were cast by the deceased I'll go grab a book at the store just up the road.
@swiss1939 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
P208, Stella VMC Stelvio 187, Stella 150, VNX1T, V9A1T, V9B1T, 02 Sportster XLH1208
Joined: UTC
Posts: 4110
Location: Staten Island, NY
 
Ossessionato
@swiss1939 avatar
P208, Stella VMC Stelvio 187, Stella 150, VNX1T, V9A1T, V9B1T, 02 Sportster XLH1208
Joined: UTC
Posts: 4110
Location: Staten Island, NY
UTC quote
Photoshop jokes mixed with voter fraud jokes.. what a strange world we live in!
@max6200 avatar
UTC

Banned
2006 GTS 250
Joined: UTC
Posts: 10590
Location: KS USA
 
Banned
@max6200 avatar
2006 GTS 250
Joined: UTC
Posts: 10590
Location: KS USA
UTC quote
swiss1939 wrote:
Photoshop jokes mixed with voter fraud jokes.. what a strange world we live in!
Indeed! And all I was trying was to get my avatar to look better.
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, Primavera, S50, too many pushbikes
Joined: UTC
Posts: 10247
Location: Hermit Kingdom
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
LX190 Friday afternoon special, Primavera, S50, too many pushbikes
Joined: UTC
Posts: 10247
Location: Hermit Kingdom
UTC quote
Max6200 wrote:
swiss1939 wrote:
Photoshop jokes mixed with voter fraud jokes.. what a strange world we live in!
Indeed! And all I was trying was to get my avatar to look better.
Especially funny as I didn't use lawyers or layers or photoshop.
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8508
Location: Toronto
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8508
Location: Toronto
UTC quote
znomit wrote:
Max6200 wrote:
swiss1939 wrote:
Photoshop jokes mixed with voter fraud jokes.. what a strange world we live in!
Indeed! And all I was trying was to get my avatar to look better.
Especially funny as I didn't use lawyers or layers or photoshop.
I sense another fraud! Stop the layering of lies! Unless of course you can provide a stack of documents in binders to back up your claim.
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, Primavera, S50, too many pushbikes
Joined: UTC
Posts: 10247
Location: Hermit Kingdom
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
LX190 Friday afternoon special, Primavera, S50, too many pushbikes
Joined: UTC
Posts: 10247
Location: Hermit Kingdom
UTC quote
Harbinger wrote:
znomit wrote:
Max6200 wrote:
swiss1939 wrote:
Photoshop jokes mixed with voter fraud jokes.. what a strange world we live in!
Indeed! And all I was trying was to get my avatar to look better.
Especially funny as I didn't use lawyers or layers or photoshop.
I sense another fraud! Stop the layering of lies! Unless of course you can provide a stack of documents in binders to back up your claim.
That's a very harsh statement, especially from a Canukistanian. Or are you?
Can we see your passport. Eh?
@max6200 avatar
UTC

Banned
2006 GTS 250
Joined: UTC
Posts: 10590
Location: KS USA
 
Banned
@max6200 avatar
2006 GTS 250
Joined: UTC
Posts: 10590
Location: KS USA
UTC quote
znomit wrote:
Max6200 wrote:
swiss1939 wrote:
Photoshop jokes mixed with voter fraud jokes.. what a strange world we live in!
Indeed! And all I was trying was to get my avatar to look better.
Especially funny as I didn't use lawyers or layers or photoshop.
Glad you are not pissed off anymore. And yes it was funny. Belwinith, the designer, thought so too
@sledge avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS 300 HPE
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2315
Location: Adelaide
 
Ossessionato
@sledge avatar
GTS 300 HPE
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2315
Location: Adelaide
UTC quote
Max6200 wrote:
swiss1939 wrote:
Photoshop jokes mixed with voter fraud jokes.. what a strange world we live in!
Indeed! And all I was trying was to get my avatar to look better.
Make Avatars Great Again.
@swiss1939 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
P208, Stella VMC Stelvio 187, Stella 150, VNX1T, V9A1T, V9B1T, 02 Sportster XLH1208
Joined: UTC
Posts: 4110
Location: Staten Island, NY
 
Ossessionato
@swiss1939 avatar
P208, Stella VMC Stelvio 187, Stella 150, VNX1T, V9A1T, V9B1T, 02 Sportster XLH1208
Joined: UTC
Posts: 4110
Location: Staten Island, NY
UTC quote
Sledge wrote:
Max6200 wrote:
swiss1939 wrote:
Photoshop jokes mixed with voter fraud jokes.. what a strange world we live in!
Indeed! And all I was trying was to get my avatar to look better.
Make Avatars Great Again.
Then yours isn't great again. Need that gray bg!
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, Primavera, S50, too many pushbikes
Joined: UTC
Posts: 10247
Location: Hermit Kingdom
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
LX190 Friday afternoon special, Primavera, S50, too many pushbikes
Joined: UTC
Posts: 10247
Location: Hermit Kingdom
UTC quote
Sledge wrote:
Max6200 wrote:
swiss1939 wrote:
Photoshop jokes mixed with voter fraud jokes.. what a strange world we live in!
Indeed! And all I was trying was to get my avatar to look better.
Make Avatars Gay Again.
Chopper would be proud.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@swiss1939 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
P208, Stella VMC Stelvio 187, Stella 150, VNX1T, V9A1T, V9B1T, 02 Sportster XLH1208
Joined: UTC
Posts: 4110
Location: Staten Island, NY
 
Ossessionato
@swiss1939 avatar
P208, Stella VMC Stelvio 187, Stella 150, VNX1T, V9A1T, V9B1T, 02 Sportster XLH1208
Joined: UTC
Posts: 4110
Location: Staten Island, NY
UTC quote
Making Avatars Gray Again.

My lawyers told me I had to use some layers for this one.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@sledge avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS 300 HPE
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2315
Location: Adelaide
 
Ossessionato
@sledge avatar
GTS 300 HPE
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2315
Location: Adelaide
UTC quote
Good work on the avatars. I'll keep them on file to use in the fullness of time, or when I'm feeling Gay. In the meantime its back to the winner of the Sledge look alike contest.
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8508
Location: Toronto
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8508
Location: Toronto
UTC quote
That's it! I'm bringing up politics.

Though who can be mad at this? There will be the First Dog(s) again in the Whitehouse.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/nov/13/first-dogs-major-champ-joe-biden-white-house
@kshansen avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTV300 (wife's)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1911
Location: Central New York
 
Molto Verboso
@kshansen avatar
GTV300 (wife's)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1911
Location: Central New York
UTC quote
Harbinger wrote:
That's it! I'm bringing up politics.

Though who can be mad at this? There will be the First Dog(s) again in the Whitehouse.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/nov/13/first-dogs-major-champ-joe-biden-white-house
What can I say! I really would like to take a trip down after Jan to see those two! Always had a soft sport of the Shepherds. Might be `cause dad's mom was a German?

Or more likely from watching Rin-Tin-Tin as a kid:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Adventures_of_Rin_Tin_Tin
@max6200 avatar
UTC

Banned
2006 GTS 250
Joined: UTC
Posts: 10590
Location: KS USA
 
Banned
@max6200 avatar
2006 GTS 250
Joined: UTC
Posts: 10590
Location: KS USA
UTC quote
Quote:
Or more likely from watching Rin-Tin-Tin as a kid.
My all-time favorite growing up.
@fudmucker avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2021 GTS 300 HPE +2013 GTS 300ie + 294 Polini
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2061
Location: Pretoria, South Africa
 
Ossessionato
@fudmucker avatar
2021 GTS 300 HPE +2013 GTS 300ie + 294 Polini
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2061
Location: Pretoria, South Africa
UTC quote
So while I was away riding my Vespa, numerous software developers 'updated' their products. When I restarted, nothing was the same...

Every software vendor seems to decide for you that their product is best and must be set to the default for your laptop. So I have virus protection fighting one another to be first to load. I have multiple video conferencing software autoloading although I don't use it at all and there seems no manner to remove it from the startup menu. If I try to defer them or stop them, they reload by themselves and it all starts again...

Now every time I start up, I have to wait round 7-10 minutes for all the junk I don't use to load and then shut them down one by one before I can start work.
Free market?
Free choice?
I think not.
@swiss1939 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
P208, Stella VMC Stelvio 187, Stella 150, VNX1T, V9A1T, V9B1T, 02 Sportster XLH1208
Joined: UTC
Posts: 4110
Location: Staten Island, NY
 
Ossessionato
@swiss1939 avatar
P208, Stella VMC Stelvio 187, Stella 150, VNX1T, V9A1T, V9B1T, 02 Sportster XLH1208
Joined: UTC
Posts: 4110
Location: Staten Island, NY
UTC quote
Fudmucker wrote:
So while I was away riding my Vespa, numerous software developers 'updated' their products. When I restarted, nothing was the same...

Every software vendor seems to decide for you that their product is best and must be set to the default for your laptop. So I have virus protection fighting one another to be first to load. I have multiple video conferencing software autoloading although I don't use it at all and there seems no manner to remove it from the startup menu. If I try to defer them or stop them, they reload by themselves and it all starts again...

Now every time I start up, I have to wait round 7-10 minutes for all the junk I don't use to load and then shut them down one by one before I can start work.
Free market?
Free choice?
I think not.
Windows? If so.. this will help:

Windows Key + R then type taskmgr. When that opens switch to startup tab. Right click and select disable everything you don't need to run at startup. Most apps don't actually need to run at startup, but only when you choose to run it.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: UTC
Posts: 43698
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
 
Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: UTC
Posts: 43698
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
UTC quote
swiss1939 wrote:
Fudmucker wrote:
So while I was away riding my Vespa, numerous software developers 'updated' their products. When I restarted, nothing was the same...

Every software vendor seems to decide for you that their product is best and must be set to the default for your laptop. So I have virus protection fighting one another to be first to load. I have multiple video conferencing software autoloading although I don't use it at all and there seems no manner to remove it from the startup menu. If I try to defer them or stop them, they reload by themselves and it all starts again...

Now every time I start up, I have to wait round 7-10 minutes for all the junk I don't use to load and then shut them down one by one before I can start work.
Free market?
Free choice?
I think not.
Windows? If so.. this will help:

Windows Key + R then type taskmgr. When that opens switch to startup tab. Right click and select disable everything you don't need to run at startup. Most apps don't actually need to run at startup, but only when you choose to run it.
In Windows 7 it's msconfig rather than taskmgr to access startup program enable/disable.
@fudmucker avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2021 GTS 300 HPE +2013 GTS 300ie + 294 Polini
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2061
Location: Pretoria, South Africa
 
Ossessionato
@fudmucker avatar
2021 GTS 300 HPE +2013 GTS 300ie + 294 Polini
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2061
Location: Pretoria, South Africa
UTC quote
Thanks for the tips guys.
I just cannot get Adobe Secure Browser or MS Teams off the delayed start menu. They keep wanting to go back...
@mpfrank avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2020 MP3 500 HPE Sport ABS/ASR
Joined: UTC
Posts: 4687
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula
 
Ossessionato
@mpfrank avatar
2020 MP3 500 HPE Sport ABS/ASR
Joined: UTC
Posts: 4687
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula
UTC quote
Fudmucker wrote:
Thanks for the tips guys.
I just cannot get Adobe Secure Browser or MS Teams off the delayed start menu. They keep wanting to go back...
MS Teams.

AAAAAAARGH!

If Teams were a sports team, the coach would have been fired a long time ago.
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8508
Location: Toronto
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8508
Location: Toronto
UTC quote
mpfrank wrote:
Fudmucker wrote:
Thanks for the tips guys.
I just cannot get Adobe Secure Browser or MS Teams off the delayed start menu. They keep wanting to go back...
MS Teams.

AAAAAAARGH!

If Teams were a sports team, the coach would have been fired a long time ago.
MS Teams is the worst of the lot followed by Skype for Business. We have users well in to the hundreds working from home and those are the only 2 we've really had issues with.
@monogodo avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2017 Piaggio BV350
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1086
Location: Irving, TX
 
Molto Verboso
@monogodo avatar
2017 Piaggio BV350
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1086
Location: Irving, TX
UTC quote
Harbinger wrote:
mpfrank wrote:
Fudmucker wrote:
Thanks for the tips guys.
I just cannot get Adobe Secure Browser or MS Teams off the delayed start menu. They keep wanting to go back...
MS Teams.

AAAAAAARGH!

If Teams were a sports team, the coach would have been fired a long time ago.
MS Teams is the worst of the lot followed by Skype for Business. We have users well in to the hundreds working from home and those are the only 2 we've really had issues with.
We have both Skype for Business and MS Teams on our work computers. I've used Teams exactly twice, and it worked well both times.

I use Skype for Business every day, as it is our phone solution. The only thing that pisses me off about it is not the software itself, it's the fact that people don't use it properly. They should be logged into it whenever they are at their desk. They've discovered that the phones will still work without the software, so they don't bother logging in and learning it, which limits communication. The IM feature is great for a quick question that isn't worth a call or email, but if your status shows you "Away for 10 days", I don't know that you're actually at your desk to receive it. At the same time, that long time away message means I don't know if you're actually in the office to answer my call when needed.

I know there are issues with the iPhone app for it. Some coworkers are working from home, and connect to their work phone via the app. The problem is that they will answer the call, and the app will immediately disconnect the call. But if they call out, it works fine.

So what pisses me off isn't the software, it's that the school district pays a lot of money for us to have some really great tools, and my coworkers don't bother to use them properly, or even at all.
@sledge avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS 300 HPE
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2315
Location: Adelaide
 
Ossessionato
@sledge avatar
GTS 300 HPE
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2315
Location: Adelaide
UTC quote
4 weeks till Christmas.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee
 

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com


All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.


[ Time: 0.4378s ][ Queries: 4 (0.4134s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]