UTC

eeeee bip
BMW R1100RT The Problem Child Kymco Downtown 300 - I'm not the Uber

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
UTC quote
Try a Hewlett Packard Chrome Book next.

Mine appears to be lasting like no other after having a Lenovo, two Samsung's and two Toshiba's.

Sorted.
@witch avatar
UTC

Moderatrice Strega

Moderatrice Strega
@witch avatar
UTC quote
Honestly, I've never even considered looking at HP for a laptop, but that probably has something to do with the fact that "go all Office Space on an HP printer" has been on my personal bucket list for a long time.

I'd rather go back to more of a standard Windows laptop this time, but I'm willing to be a bit open on brand. I was all committed to getting another Vaio, but clearly that hasn't been an option for a while now. [::shakes fist at Sony::]
@johnymoore avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa PX 177 Settantesimo, Vespa GTS Super 300 HPE, Triumph Bobber Gold Line

Molto Verboso
@johnymoore avatar
UTC quote
Get a mac
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring

Ossessionato
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC quote
Witch wrote:
Honestly, I've never even considered looking at HP for a laptop, but that probably has something to do with the fact that "go all Office Space on an HP printer" has been on my personal bucket list for a long time.

I'd rather go back to more of a standard Windows laptop this time, but I'm willing to be a bit open on brand. I was all committed to getting another Vaio, but clearly that hasn't been an option for a while now. [::shakes fist at Sony::]
The fax machine death scene! ROFL emoticon
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
I received an ad from my insurer, Prudential, recommending Life Line Screening for arterial testing. As I delve into the bad reviews and doctor's warnings I find what appears to be a racket run from a boiler room aimed at old folks. I'm pissed at Prudential's support for a shady operation.
And to make matters worse, I just broke a guitar string....
@max6200 avatar
UTC

Banned
2006 GTS 250

Banned
@max6200 avatar
2006 GTS 250
UTC quote
Topolino wrote:
I received an ad from my insurer, Prudential, recommending Life Line Screening for arterial testing.
I am SURE they really care about your arteries👿
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
UTC quote
Patients.....

Guy walks in after not being seen for a few years. No mask. Sign on the door tells him to ask for one. Nope. Receptionist tells him he needs one and hands him one. He wraps it around his wallet and fills out the forms.

I greet him at the door, tell him he needs to actually wear the mask. Reluctantly puts it on.

Paperwork...update form asks when and how symptoms started.

Patient's form: "____"

Ask him when it started...

"A while ago."

Me: "Like, 2 days?"

Him: "Ummm, probably a month...."

ARGHHHH!! Can we just do what we're asked to do and save a lot of aggravation?

Okay, rant over. I feel better. TGIF
@2wheelsdan avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
GTS300 supertech

Enthusiast
@2wheelsdan avatar
GTS300 supertech
UTC quote
Idiot buyers on Facebook Marketplace. Unbelievable the amount of crap you have to go through trying to sell something.
I'm sorry your budget is only $2000 and you want to buy my $4000 product for that amount, but I don't even know you, and I'm not running a charity. READ THE AD! As the ad stated, I am not interested in trades! I'm sure your pygmy goat, 4 Llamas, and blind cow, are wonderful animals, but I'm not looking to start a farm.
Ok, rant over. I feel better now.
@kshansen avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTV300 (wife's)

Molto Verboso
@kshansen avatar
GTV300 (wife's)
UTC quote
Witch wrote:
I've got a hand-me-down Dell desktop in the corner, so at least that's an option if I need it for now. But it's over a decade old, and takes about 10 minutes to boot, soooo...

As someone who is hanging on to an old Dell Desktop I would suggest looking at replacing the mechanical Hard Drive with a SSD. I was starting to have hard drive problems after updating to the latest Windows 10. Was looking at replacing the Dell with something newer and decided to try the SSD as I could at the least use it as a USB add-on drive for back-ups if I did get a new desktop.

Well now this old Dell boots up in a bit over a minute unless there is some Windows updates coming in. I think the Drive I used was a 256Gb. HP drive and it was around $50.00 including shipping.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
So my trusty Lenovo E520 Thinkpad (c. 2011) started to make a noise like Velcro ripping every time I moved it. Then it wouldn't restart - 'Fan error'. Turns out the fan had decided that most of its blades would shear in half horizontally (odd?) and had jammed itself solid.

After opening it up, I perhaps foolishly decided to clean all the muckite and cat hair out of the keyboard with a blast of compress air. Hrrumph - the 'select' key allowed its bit of silicone 'press tit' to fly off somewhere in the garage. Grrr...

Anyway, fan cleaned out, all reassembled, it worked! All except for the 'select' key and five orphan screws.

New fan and keyboard on order - just under $55. Far cheaper than a suitable replacement machine. Yes, still running W7 Pro...
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
Yes, still running W7 Pro...
Facepalm emoticon
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
jess wrote:
Facepalm emoticon
Me too!
There is just one problem, from 2022 my NOD 32 license will no longer work on Win 7.
@fudmucker avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2021 GTS 300 HPE +2013 GTS 300ie + 294 Polini

Ossessionato
@fudmucker avatar
2021 GTS 300 HPE +2013 GTS 300ie + 294 Polini
UTC quote
kshansen wrote:
As someone who is hanging on to an old Dell Desktop I would suggest looking at replacing the mechanical Hard Drive with a SSD. I was starting to have hard drive problems after updating to the latest Windows 10. Was looking at replacing the Dell with something newer and decided to try the SSD as I could at the least use it as a USB add-on drive for back-ups if I did get a new desktop.

Well now this old Dell boots up in a bit over a minute unless there is some Windows updates coming in. I think the Drive I used was a 256Gb. HP drive and it was around $50.00 including shipping.
My laptop got an update from Dell to extend the lifespan.
I hit the Update and Restart option while I carried on reading MV.
At one point I notice a pop-up:
"REMOVING DISK PARTITION - do not switch off!"
It is gone. 256MB of files on my Data.
I have a backup from before I moved house four months ago.
The rest is a memory.
@seamus26 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1979 P200E (sold) / ZNEN Amore 150 (sold) / Genuine Buddy 170i / Genuine Stella 4T /Aprilia Sportcity One 50

Ossessionato
@seamus26 avatar
1979 P200E (sold) / ZNEN Amore 150 (sold) / Genuine Buddy 170i / Genuine Stella 4T /Aprilia Sportcity One 50
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
Yes, still running W7 Pro...
Back in my day we didn't need no fancy Win-dows ten. Flibblety-flee. We had one operating system called DOS and it did everything we needed it to do. Sure, we only did one thing at a time and we had to reconfigure our config.sys file every time we wanted to play Wizardry, but that's the way things were and we LIKED it.
@kshansen avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTV300 (wife's)

Molto Verboso
@kshansen avatar
GTV300 (wife's)
UTC quote
seamus26 wrote:
Back in my day we didn't need no fancy Win-dows ten. Flibblety-flee. We had one operating system called DOS and it did everything we needed it to do. Sure, we only did one thing at a time and we had to reconfigure our config.sys file every time we wanted to play Wizardry, but that's the way things were and we LIKED it.
Seamus,
I respectibly have to disagree! Windows was a major improvement till they decided 3.2 needed to be replaced!
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
kshansen wrote:
Seamus,
I respectibly have to disagree! Windows was a major improvement till they decided 3.2 needed to be replaced!
I can't tell who's trolling who here.
@kshansen avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTV300 (wife's)

Molto Verboso
@kshansen avatar
GTV300 (wife's)
UTC quote
jess wrote:
I can't tell who's trolling who here.
Well I did save these just to be safe :
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
IMHO, the WIMP environment of the Acorn Risc Machines (yes, the original ARM designs) 32-bit Archimedes computer was far superior. Vector graphics right from the get-go.

(WIMP - windows, icons, mouse, pointer)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acorn_Computers
@johnymoore avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@johnymoore avatar
UTC quote
Before I moved on to Linux in 1994 I briefly ran OS/2. Does anyone remember that? It was such a nice GUI experience I thought at the time.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
johnymoore wrote:
Before I moved on to Linux in 1994 I briefly ran OS/2. Does anyone remember that? It was such a nice GUI experience I thought at the time.
Yup. I remember it well.
@mpfrank avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2020 MP3 500 HPE Sport ABS/ASR
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula

Ossessionato
@mpfrank avatar
2020 MP3 500 HPE Sport ABS/ASR
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula
UTC quote
I started computing on a TRS-80 Color Computer 2 https://tinyurl.com/7x6lphz in 1984. It had all of 16K RAM and stored data on a cassette tape drive. I was able to do word processing, spreadsheet, and basic desktop publishing.

I later replaced it with the IBM PC-compatible Tandy 1000. Its OS was TRS-DOS, a version of MS-DOS.

Somewhat later, I purchased GeoWorks, a really nice little GUI that ran on top of DOS. It included America Online, which I joined in May, 1991. I still use my AOL email account.

I have used MS Word since version 1.0 for DOS. I bought Windows 1.0, but it was pathetic - not nearly as usable as GeoWorks.

Nothing about this pisses me off. Sorry about that.
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
My first computer at work was a Unix command-line CAD workstation with a 10mb Winchester HD the size of washing machine, and tape cartridge backups that took all day once a week. A black and white screen displayed bad news when some IT geek would address software ills by wiping the drive clean.

It pisses me off that kids act like they invented the digital age.
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
Am I starting to see the first long-term side effects of the Covid vaccine?
(Effects on long-term memory).
Yes, until not long ago I was still meeting PC users who, to restart, they interrupted the general power supply.
@monogodo avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2017 Piaggio BV350

Molto Verboso
@monogodo avatar
2017 Piaggio BV350
UTC quote
So the school district I work for switched printer vendors. The old contract ended June 30 at midnight, and the new one started July 1.

The old vendor showed up on June 6 and disconnected their equipment, but left it there. They also went around to all 250 schools and did the same thing. And if they weren't able to get to the equipment that day, it didn't matter, because they shut off the system that allowed the teachers & staff to print securely to any printer.

The new vendor dragged their feet getting the new printers installed. We had 5 schools that started on August 2, 41 that started August 9, and the rest started August 16. There are still schools that do not have their new printer(s) installed. So in the meantime, I've been volunteered to print for the schools, in black & white, at no charge to them. After all, it's not their fault that they don't have a printer.

Which brings me to what is pissing me off. A principal contacted me earlier this wee to ask how I wanted to have files submitted. I told her the process, and she agreed to it. Last night at 5pm (30 minutes after the end of my day), she submitted the files, which were uploaded to a Google Drive location. They were organized by grade level, and within the grade level, by teacher.

This morning I hit the ground running, and started printing files to both printers, keeping them organized by teacher, to make it easier on them (and me). I finally finished printing everything I'd downloaded at about 2pm, and finished boxing it up about 30 minutes later.

Then I thought, "Ya know, I should go through the Google Drive again, and make sure I didn't miss anything.

Sure enough four teachers uploaded their docs after I'd already downloaded everything. And one of them didn't even include instructions. I emailed the principal, and let her know that I was going to have them ready later than expected due to the three teachers, and the 4th didn't have instructions.

She said to not worry about the 4th, that they were to have had everything uploaded last night, anyway.

So it pisses me off that people don't follow instructions, and it pisses me off that the former vendor got pissy about their equipment, and that the new vendor dragged their feet on installing the new equipment.
@sledge avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS 300 HPE

Ossessionato
@sledge avatar
GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
Face masks as litter. They have the appeal of used condoms. Yukky.
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
UTC quote
Sledge wrote:
Face masks as litter. They have the appeal of used condoms. Yukky.
At least the used condoms indicate someone had a good time. Laughing emoticon
@tn_sooner avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2012 BV 350, 2013 BMW C650 GT, 2015 Indian Chieftain

Molto Verboso
@tn_sooner avatar
2012 BV 350, 2013 BMW C650 GT, 2015 Indian Chieftain
UTC quote
Let the goldendoodle out for her morning constitutional. She took off the deck - jumping at something in the yard. Turned out to be a skunk. Well, I never actually saw the skunk, but there is plenty of lingering evidence.

One de-skunking bath is done. Probably a couple more before the day is done.
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC quote
TN_Sooner wrote:
Let the goldendoodle out for her morning constitutional. She took off the deck - jumping at something in the yard. Turned out to be a skunk. Well, I never actually saw the skunk, but there is plenty of lingering evidence.

Ugh, been there, done that. No fun. Facepalm emoticon
@kshansen avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTV300 (wife's)

Molto Verboso
@kshansen avatar
GTV300 (wife's)
UTC quote
TN_Sooner wrote:
Done that a couple times with different dogs.

One thing that seems to help some is a tomato juice bath. Just pour it one the dog and work in good. Let set a bit and rinse. No, it will not get it all especially on the first dose but it will at least get dog to the point you can stand to be near them.

Well except when they get wet as that will tend to bring the smell back for a few weeks!
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
That smell is powerful! My dog once climbed into bed with me at 3AM to tell me she found a litter of skunks in the yard. No tomato juice handy so my pricey stock of balsamic vinegar gave her a tangy bouquet.
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
UTC quote
So, over 40 years ago, I drove to Vermont to spend some time with my best friend from school who was starting his practice working for someone in Stowe. He had a couple of friends up from NYC and we all had a fantastic time. Somehow out of there I came back with a couple of iron-on images, the exact story lost to time. I used one on a tee shirt that eventually wore out, saved the other one for a special occasion or something. Meanwhile lost touch with my friend who divorced and then passed away quite young.. somewhere in his 30s. Somehow I never got around to using the image, but it carried memories of a great time in my life, and of a dear friend. Almost too special to use.

So, finally decided it was high time to use it....so fired up the iron, got a sturdy t shirt out and went to work. Nada. Facepalm emoticon I'm guessing it's just too darned old to work anymore.

Teach me to be overly sentimental.
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
UTC quote
My Girlfriend's Brother is a diminutive gentleman and his girlfriend is a plus sized lady who really enjoys a drink or two. Possibly three. Maybe four.
In a moment of confidence I mentioned to my significant other that the happy couple looked a bit like a child next to a bouncy castle and in a moment of brotherly love she told him.
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, Primavera, some pushbikes

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
UTC quote
Bill Dog wrote:
My Girlfriend's Brother is a diminutive gentleman and his girlfriend is a plus sized lady who really enjoys a drink or two. Possibly three. Maybe four.
In a moment of confidence I mentioned to my significant other that the happy couple looked a bit like a child next to a bouncy castle and in a moment of brotherly love she told him.
No pictures of that?
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
UTC quote
Sadly not.

It's not a day that I really want to remember.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Some jackhole just spammed MV, hawking COVID vaccine certificates.

What a dick.
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
UTC quote
jess wrote:

What a dick.
Does he think we ride Harleys or something?
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
znomit wrote:
Exactly.
@knight_train avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2017 BMW R1200GS and 2010 Vespa GTS 250 (shared)

Ossessionato
@knight_train avatar
2017 BMW R1200GS and 2010 Vespa GTS 250 (shared)
UTC quote
Bill Dog wrote:
Oh.. dear…. Nothing good comes of that mate.
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
UTC quote
jess wrote:

What a dick.
Huh.
@kshansen avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTV300 (wife's)

Molto Verboso
@kshansen avatar
GTV300 (wife's)
UTC quote
znomit wrote:
Hey NOW!

I do ride a Harley even if the "real" Harley people don't consider a Sportster a "Real Harley".

If you don't know haow bad it can be I'll give you an example

One local independant shop owner once told me that while he works on Sportsters he will not test ride one as he would get all kinds of crap if he was seen riding one!
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.4516s ][ Queries: 44 (0.4117s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]