OP
@sim-et4 avatar
UTC

2002 et-4 150cc

@sim-et4 avatar
2002 et-4 150cc
UTC quote
iv'e had my 2002 et-4 for about 4 years now. for the first years, i was able to ride every day and never had any battery problems. in the past year however, situations have changed so i cant ride every day.

my 1st battery died due to my ignorance. i wasn't keeping it on a tender and it crapped out. i got a new battery from the local auto parts spot and got back on the road. this time i was sure to keep it on the tender every night. last week i left it off the tender for a night. the next day it started up after some tries, and i rode to the store. A few minutes later i'm at the store trying to get home and the bike will not start. it struggled and strained and i can tell this thing is not starting.

so, my questions:
1- can anyone recommend a good battery for a 2002 et-4? i suspect that the battery i got locally is not optimal.
2- could it be that my battery is not being charged while the bike is running? how would i test for that?
3- what are some best practices for keeping my battery from dying? how often should i be putting it on the battery tender?

any help would be greatly appreciated.
UTC

Ossessionato
2018 Vespa GTS 300 ABS- Bianco

Ossessionato
UTC quote
There are a couple of batteries that are the more popular on motorcycle forums. The last few I've bought were Motobatt sealed batteries. Do a web search and see who has the price point and be certain to ask if their stock is fresh. Most all AP's box stores also sell sealed batteries. Price & warranty is what your buying other than the thing itself. Odyssey batteries are VG but usually higher than Motobatt. Yuasa and other long time MC/Scooter small battery mfg have inproved but I'd read reviews to compare- they now sell sealed batteries. I wouldn't consider anything else! A PTW in a tip over -you don't want a fill top battery!
I've also bought batteries from "Chrome battery" who sells many versions & sizes. I got a UTV battery from them at a great price and they do their own warranties and are reasonable people.
My Vespa 300m battery came from Advance AP's installed by the car dealer on date of scoot buy-it is a good battery. Buy the biggest one that will fit in your space! They do last longer if maintained on a high quality tender when in storage.
UTC

Hooked
Rally180

Hooked
Rally180
UTC quote
To dertimine if your battery is charging, measure the voltage before you start it, and after you start it. You should see a difference of at least 0.5 volts, so if you had 12.5 volts before starting, you should have 13.0 volts after starting. There is a bit of a grey area here. If the bike just charges 0.2 volts or something, you are "probably" okay. If the voltage drops after starting the bike, you definitely have a charging problem if you have a fresh battery.

You can leave your battery on the tender all the time, though it is "best" to only charge it once a week for a few hours. Not a huge deal either way.

You could also replace your battery with a Lion version. You could ask Vespa Motorsports for the correct size. I have converted two motorcycles to Lion and no longer have any worry about letting my bikes sit for a few months. Expensive, but worth it.
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
In my Vespa it will stay up for a month or two easy but i plug it in now and then which is enough. Over a whole winter they need more often. My riding mower has a the typical crappy battery( they sell very bad, really bad and sort of OK ones of that type, why I don/t know?) which they don't warranty very long either. I got 6 years out of my last Odyssey-the "orange ones".
@schultz avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS 300

Hooked
@schultz avatar
GTS 300
UTC quote
Mottobatt is a good battery. Not many places stock them around us so we order them. Most of the Motobatt will have a higher CCA than what the stock battery was. Son and I had good luck with MB battery's on the Guzzis and we got put them on the KLR's. Son even put one on his zero turn mower and UTV. We always used Battery Tenders in the past but switched over to the BatteryMinder. You can read about them on there site if your interested.
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
Just for the record: I have had to replace the 1st Motobatt i put in my BMW MC. It just went bad after just passing the 2yr warranty date. I bought another one and sold the bike after another year. Probably just a fluke?
batteries are like that sometimes, I have one on my sawmill that's much older than it should last. My BMW X3 battery is the OE one and now over 5 years old, never on a BT either. 4-7 years seems to be the general range.
My Vespa battery went out at 5 years and the scoot had sat in storage before I bought it with no tender.
@breaknwind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Red Devil SH150i (10,000)

Ossessionato
@breaknwind avatar
Red Devil SH150i (10,000)
UTC quote
Mottobatt is a good battery except for one thing. The terminals. I can accept the fact that the one I have for my BV is just big enough to prevent the cover from installing easily. But the terminals suck. I don't know what the Mottobatt for your bike is like but there's a reason the dealers use the model battery that came with your bike. The next scoot battery I buy is going to be the stock Yuasa.
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
The terminals always work for me and are solid brass that can be connected in two directions.
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
UTC quote
breaknwind wrote:
Mottobatt is a good battery except for one thing. The terminals. I can accept the fact that the one I have for my BV is just big enough to prevent the cover from installing easily. But the terminals suck. I don't know what the Mottobatt for your bike is like but there's a reason the dealers use the model battery that came with your bike. The next scoot battery I buy is going to be the stock Yuasa.
Don't have any issues with the terminals. Like them more than the damn nut and bolt crap.
@rrider avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)

Ossessionato
@rrider avatar
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
UTC quote
Some years back, I did not have a battery tender of any kind.
As my bikes rest for our winter period, typically ~ 7 months, and they are outside, I take the battery off.

At that time I charged the battery full once a month. That seemed to work OK. The battery was in a cool, steady +15 Celsius storage room.

Nowadays I use CTEK battery tender, easy and works OK too.

Yuasa is the most common, very basic sealed battery I've had in my bikes. No issues.

Lithium Ion battery are quite nice - most of them (depending a bit on the chemistry) last even longer if kept at good charge levels all the time...say over 75% of the max. In this they behave fundamentally differently than traditional lead acid batteries, LiIon does not have the "memory" problem.
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
For those who get interested in battery talk, especially lithium talk, ADV has a thread that's ~ 300 pages long now, have fun!
FWIW, one of my son's is involved/contracting with the Finnish Tire company building a USA plant now. Nokian- it's a small world

To talk bad battery terminals just look at the side terminals GM pioneered. The lead top tab ones on mowers are also not the best, but cheap to build?
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
UTC quote
Kantuckid wrote:
For those who get interested in battery talk, especially lithium talk, ADV has a thread that's ~ 300 pages long now, have fun!
FWIW, one of my son's is involved/contracting with the Finnish Tire company building a USA plant now. Nokian- it's a small world

To talk bad battery terminals just look at the side terminals GM pioneered. The lead top tab ones on mowers are also not the best, but cheap to build?
The GM thing was a really bad idea they stuck with for way too long.
Use to change out the cable bolts all the time on older vehicles.

Most people don't know you can get new bolts, and instead cut the cable and put a standard end on or replaced the cables.
OP
@sim-et4 avatar
UTC

2002 et-4 150cc

@sim-et4 avatar
2002 et-4 150cc
UTC quote
many thanks!
lots of great info here. as always. thank you all for sharing.
@waspmike avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold) Now Honda Zoomer X

Ossessionato
@waspmike avatar
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold) Now Honda Zoomer X
UTC quote
Stock battery is 8Ah. But for more money similar physical size is available with 11Ah. Same voltage but more capacity.
UTC

Addicted
BV 350

Addicted
BV 350
UTC quote
Be advised
Most of the lithium batteries lose a great deal of capacity if they get cold. Fine for warm climates. Some recommend a charger specifically designed for lithium batteries. They are quite a bit lighter, but also quite a bit more expensive.

The best way to kill a battery is to try to start an engine on a partially discharged battery. If the voltage is driven below a certain level, the battery will be ruined. Yes, I've learned that the hard way, when a nice early spring day prompts a ride, and the battery hasn't been charged for a while. If you ever kill a battery by leaving the lights on, count on buying a battery soonest.

Since we tend to have long winters, I usually take the batteries out, line them up on the workbench (in a cold garage), and charge them once a month or so. Then I make sure they have a full charge before they go back into the bike or scooter. Usually I get around 5 seasons out of no-name batteries.

I also check all my vehicles for parasitic loads (when the ignition is switched off). A previous bike had enough to run a battery down in a couple of weeks (mechanical electric clock), so I put a tender on that bike. Pretty much everything I have now is fine, so I don't bother. But then I generally ride everything at least once every other week.
UTC

Hooked
BV250

Hooked
BV250
UTC quote
I have had several bikes over the last 3 years or so. I have always been told of the "many brands, few manufacturers" theory of batteries.

I have purchased several batteries from Battery Shark. They work great, last and do exactly what I want.

AGM is as advanced as I get for a few reasons.
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

World Traveler
@judy avatar
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa
UTC quote
Heard good reviews about MottoBatt batteries. The next one i'll get will be one.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0193s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0087s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]