@oldschooot avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2018 LIBERTY 150S, 2013 Kymco LIKE200iLX

Ossessionato
@oldschooot avatar
UTC quote
I really dislike the whole fueling situation on my new 2018 LIBERTY150i i-Get 3V scooter. It is actually the ONLY fault I can find with this scooter after one year of ownership.
The fill neck does not permit sighting the fuel level as the gas goes in - and the plastic gas gap on the plastic neck is not a nice secure metal-to-metal fit....it is too easily cross-threaded and/or quickly becomes too tight for one handed removal.

I've looked at the threads of both - nothing the matter except the design. Of the 4 scooters & 5 motorcycles I have owned - this gas cap is the worst.

O.S.

Nice scooter, otherwise...

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
@caschnd1 avatar
UTC

Grumpy Biker
1980 Vespa P200e (sold), 2002 Vespa ET4 (sold), 1949 Harley-Davidson FL

Grumpy Biker
@caschnd1 avatar
UTC quote
The narrow fuel necks are a result of trying to reduce hydrocarbon emissions when refilling the tank. My old P200e had a filler neck the size of a 12oz can. Easy to see into. The narrow necks also prevent you from filling your tank with leaded fuel. The leaded fuel pumps have a larger size fill pipe that won't fit in the neck.

-Craig
UTC

Banned
2009 GTS 250, 2013 Buddy 125, 2014 Triumph Bonneville

Banned
UTC quote
If that's the ONLY thing you can gripe about after a year's ownership, consider that a win and go have an adult beverage and be happy.

My Honda CR-V that I just bought doesn't even use a gas cap. So be careful with your next car purchase or it might drive you over the edge!
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
UTC quote
Vintage1 wrote:
My Honda CR-V that I just bought doesn't even use a gas cap.
Please explain, I don't follow new cars anymore.
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT
UTC quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
Vintage1 wrote:
If it's like my Ford Escape there is a flapper door that you push the fuel nozzle through. When you remove the fuel nozzle, this little flap springs shut, sealing the tank.

Ford calls it 'easy fuel', but as I understand it, it's prone to problems over time due to dirt buildup allowing an air leak (and the MIL lighting up).

@silver_streak avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 Vespa LX 190, 2011 LXV150ie

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@silver_streak avatar
UTC quote
Madison Sully wrote:
WEB-Tech wrote:
Vintage1 wrote:
If it's like my Ford Escape there is a flapper door that you push the fuel nozzle through. When you remove the fuel nozzle, this little flap springs shut, sealing the tank.

Ford calls it 'easy fuel', but as I understand it, it's prone to problems over time due to dirt buildup allowing an air leak (and the MIL lighting up).

How lazy are we going to get?

Yet another example of the devolution of industrial design... right up there with the electric can opener and battery-operated salt and pepper grinders.

I guess it's a misplaced solution to the perceived 21st-century non-problem of needing to put away one's cellphone in order to manipulate both a gas cap and the pump nozzle.

Makes me even more proud to be a grouchy old Luddite.
@schultz avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS 300

Hooked
@schultz avatar
GTS 300
UTC quote
Next thing they gonna have automatic butt wipers when you take a dump. To dam many smart ass over educated high ass pay people that ain't got no common sense anymore. Not that fond of the fuel cap either. Have one of them capless piece of shit on my Ram but got me a cap to put over it after I fill it with diesel. Wife has capless on her CRV but the way it close's and the part they have on the fuel door I would say no dirt or water can get in there.
UTC

Ossessionato
2018 Vespa GTS 300 ABS- Bianco

Ossessionato
UTC quote
My Ford 2015 F-150 has the easy fill and it's easy and it works just fine.
FYI, they come with a funnel so emergency gas can be poured in.
A metal to metal gas filler is old school.
For a far "better" rant change the subject to gas cans that are lawyered up or lots of other stuff like no driver education programs these days or drivers who are playing war games behind the wheel or texting or talking on hand held phones while driving or what's ya got? Laughing emoticon
UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
We don't need to put away our cell phone in order to pump our gas because you're not allowed to pump your own gas in Joisey.
@ducatiterminator avatar
UTC

Hooked
ET4

Hooked
@ducatiterminator avatar
ET4
UTC quote
schultz wrote:
Next thing they gonna have automatic butt wipers when you take a dump. To dam many smart ass over educated high ass pay people that ain't got no common sense anymore. Not that fond of the fuel cap either. Have one of them capless piece of shit on my Ram but got me a cap to put over it after I fill it with diesel. Wife has capless on her CRV but the way it close's and the part they have on the fuel door I would say no dirt or water can get in there.
They already make them

https://washlet.totousa.com/product/g400

@silver_streak avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@silver_streak avatar
UTC quote
Kantuckid wrote:
For a far "better" rant change the subject to gas cans that are lawyered up or lots of other stuff like no driver education programs these days or drivers who are playing war games behind the wheel or texting or talking on hand held phones while driving or what's ya got? Laughing emoticon
Oh, I agree completely... just jumped onto the rant topic that presented itself. Laughing emoticon

As a cranky old retired engineer, one of my pet peeves is over-application of engineering to "solve" perceived (but really non-existant) problems using less-reliable technology.
⚠️ Last edited by Silver Streak on UTC; edited 1 time
@mpfrank avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2020 MP3 500 HPE Sport ABS/ASR
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula

Ossessionato
@mpfrank avatar
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula
UTC quote
DucatiTerminator wrote:
schultz wrote:
They already make them

https://washlet.totousa.com/product/g400

And if that's too fancy for you...

https://goo.gl/VdXw78
@mpfrank avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@mpfrank avatar
UTC quote
Seriously, though, the gas cap on my MP3 is hard to tighten and way too easily cross-threaded.
@ducatiterminator avatar
UTC

Hooked
ET4

Hooked
@ducatiterminator avatar
ET4
UTC quote
mpfrank wrote:

I'd rather shit in the woods and find some leaves lol
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
'07 LX150 (Sold), '17 GTS300, '16 BV350, '15 EN650, '09 FXDF (sold). '15 FLSTN

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@jet_peddler avatar
'07 LX150 (Sold), '17 GTS300, '16 BV350, '15 EN650, '09 FXDF (sold). '15 FLSTN
UTC quote
I'm ambivalent. Honestly it doesn't bother me. 65-75 miles a gallon makes it bother me even less I guess.
@silver_streak avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@silver_streak avatar
UTC quote
mpfrank wrote:

Thank you. You've made my case beautifully!
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
Vintage1 wrote:
We don't need to put away our cell phone in order to pump our gas because you're not allowed to pump your own gas in Joisey.
I remember fueling in NJ and the attendants had those weird belts on that were part of that law.
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
Silver Streak wrote:
Kantuckid wrote:
Oh, I agree completely... just jumped onto the rant topic that presented itself. Laughing emoticon

As a cranky old retired engineer, one of my pet peeves is over-application of engineering to "solve" perceived (but really non-existant) problems using less-reliable technology.
I was waiting in FL to buy fuel a few years back and this lady in front was taking forever to fill up. I'm patient enough but she seemed to be going for a Guiness record? I nicely asked her what the purpose was for her world record slow fill? She replied, " an engineer I work with told me that my MPG will go up by filling slowly as it oxygenates the gasoline".
All 3 of our sons are engineers- I love to kid them, just as we did on the job when I was in skilled trades working with and around them.
@troutbum avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2012 Kymco Like 200i (Sold), 2018 FLSL

Ossessionato
@troutbum avatar
2012 Kymco Like 200i (Sold), 2018 FLSL
UTC quote
Re: anyone else hate the plastic gas caps?
OldSchooot wrote:
I really dislike the whole fueling situation on my new 2018 LIBERTY150i i-Get 3V scooter. It is actually the ONLY fault I can find with this scooter after one year of ownership.
The fill neck does not permit sighting the fuel level as the gas goes in - and the plastic gas gap on the plastic neck is not a nice secure metal-to-metal fit....it is too easily cross-threaded and/or quickly becomes too tight for one handed removal.

I've looked at the threads of both - nothing the matter except the design. Of the 4 scooters & 5 motorcycles I have owned - this gas cap is the worst.

O.S.

Stig, on the cap threads apply a very thin coat of Vaseline. I mean thin. Not a greasy mess, but faintly noticeable (thin film). Work the cap on and off a few times and it should improve the matchup.
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
UTC quote
Silver Streak wrote:
Madison Sully wrote:
WEB-Tech wrote:
Vintage1 wrote:

Yet another example of the devolution of industrial design... right up there with the electric can opener and battery-operated salt and pepper grinders.

I guess it's a misplaced solution to the perceived 21st-century non-problem of needing to put away one's cellphone in order to manipulate both a gas cap and the pump nozzle.

It's from people not tightening their gas caps tight enough and causing the Check Engine Light to come on that started this I bet.
And just the laziness of people.
UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
Kantuckid wrote:
I was waiting in FL to buy fuel a few years back and this lady in front was taking forever to fill up. I'm patient enough but she seemed to be going for a Guiness record? I nicely asked her what the purpose was for her world record slow fill? She replied, " an engineer I work with told me that my MPG will go up by filling slowly as it oxygenates the gasoline".
All 3 of our sons are engineers- I love to kid them, just as we did on the job when I was in skilled trades working with and around them.
Sounds about like advice some people who know everything about everything give here on MV.
@amateriat avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)

Ossessionato
@amateriat avatar
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)
UTC quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
Vintage1 wrote:
This interests me as well: Le Wife's Honda CR-V (2013) has the classic ratcheted gas cap under the open-from-the dash flap, so I'll assume Vintage1's Honda is a much later model. (You bought new, V1?)

Getting back to the OP's issue: all I know of is the cap/filler setup on my GTS, and I've had no problem with it at all. My main problem has to do with dealing with unfamiliar gas stations: my regular fill-up spot is Costco in Ocean Township, which is a top-notch joint, with pumps that stop filling when they're supposed to, meaning no more than a few stray drops of gas here and there. For various reasons having to do with time and location (more on this in another thread), I found myself having to fill at a BP in Allenhurst with a checkered past (some months ago they had water contamination in their underground tanks - revenge of Deepwater Horizon? - that led to numerous cars suffering engine damage), and, in a fit of desperation, an Exxon at a particularly notorious traffic circle near Asbury. The fill-up at the BP was actually uneventful, while the Exxon fill-up was a tad sloppy, but not a disaster. (BTW, even though I've gone over this before: even though you're technically not allowed to pump your own gas, if you're filling up a PTW, the attendant simply takes and swipes your card, punches in your desired blend, then hands you the nozzle to to the actual filling.)
Yes, you CAN pump your own in Joisey...sorta. (Yes, this was a few months ago; pricier now.)
Yes, you CAN pump your own in Joisey...sorta. (Yes, this was a few months ago; pricier now.)
UTC

Ossessionato
GT200 & GTS250 & NC750X & Royal Enfield Pegasus

Ossessionato
GT200 & GTS250 & NC750X & Royal Enfield Pegasus
UTC quote
Why not just buy a metal gas cap then? I believe all Piaggio fuel caps are interchangeable but obviously you'd need to check that. There are tonnes of different styles from anodised aluminium to CNC pieces of art. Quite a few have fancy graphics on them also. The Vespa 946 cap looks quite nice also and should fit as well.
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
Vintage1 wrote:
Kantuckid wrote:
Sounds about like advice some people who know everything about everything give here on MV.
You don't find the story cute? or is there another meaning herein?
Honestly, the thread topic begs for something not found in plastic gas cap concerns?
UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
Kantuckid wrote:
Vintage1 wrote:
Kantuckid wrote:
Honestly, the thread topic begs for something not found in plastic gas cap concerns?
Are we maybe feeling a bit defensive?
UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
amateriat wrote:
WEB-Tech wrote:
Vintage1 wrote:
This interests me as well: Le Wife's Honda CR-V (2013) has the classic ratcheted gas cap under the open-from-the dash flap, so I'll assume Vintage1's Honda is a much later model. (You bought new, V1?)

Getting back to the OP's issue: all I know of is the cap/filler setup on my GTS, and I've had no problem with it at all. My main problem has to do with dealing with unfamiliar gas stations: my regular fill-up spot is Costco in Ocean Township, which is a top-notch joint, with pumps that stop filling when they're supposed to, meaning no more than a few stray drops of gas here and there. For various reasons having to do with time and location (more on this in another thread), I found myself having to fill at a BP in Allenhurst with a checkered past (some months ago they had water contamination in their underground tanks - revenge of Deepwater Horizon? - that led to numerous cars suffering engine damage), and, in a fit of desperation, an Exxon at a particularly notorious traffic circle near Asbury. The fill-up at the BP was actually uneventful, while the Exxon fill-up was a tad sloppy, but not a disaster. (BTW, even though I've gone over this before: even though you're technically not allowed to pump your own gas, if you're filling up a PTW, the attendant simply takes and swipes your card, punches in your desired blend, then hands you the nozzle to to the actual filling.)
Hi. Yes, I bought a new 2018.

And I know we 'can' pump our own gas, I said we are 'not allowed to'. Razz emoticon

It's funny how some stations are strict about not wanting you to pump your gas, but when we pull in with a motorcycle or scooter, they back off and WANT YOU to pump your own.

*Explanation for those not from "The Garden State"... New Jersey is the last remaining state that actually has a law that prohibits a driver from pumping their own gas.
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
Vintage1 wrote:
Kantuckid wrote:
Vintage1 wrote:
Kantuckid wrote:
Are we maybe feeling a bit defensive?
No but a question for a question leaves one hanging. I play nice.
I already stuck up for myself earlier.
UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
My comment wasn't about you posting that story, it was about the B.S. reasoning the elderly woman in your story gave for taking forever to gas up. I was making a flip comment about her comment and comparing it to some comments occasionally posted here that sometimes leave you scratching your head trying to figure out how that posting helped along the discussion of the time.

Sorry if you took what I typed personally. We're certainly good.
@caschnd1 avatar
UTC

Grumpy Biker

Grumpy Biker
@caschnd1 avatar
UTC quote
amateriat wrote:
WEB-Tech wrote:
Vintage1 wrote:

93 Octane for $2.45/gal (I'm looking at the pump in your photo)? Crying or Very sad emoticon I can't even get 93 Octane around here (91 is the best they sell). My car needs 93 or it starts retarding the timing and performance is significantly reduced. I end up buying 2.5 gallons of 100 Octane race fuel (10 miles out of my way to get it) and blending it with 11 or 12 gallons of 91 to get a mix that is ~93. The 100 Octane race fuel costs me $8.50/gal Crying or Very sad emoticon My 14 gallon fill ups end up costing me about $50.

-Craig
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
Vintage1 wrote:
My comment wasn't about you posting that story, it was about the B.S. reasoning the elderly woman in your story gave for taking forever to gas up. I was making a flip comment about her comment and comparing it to some comments occasionally posted here that sometimes leave you scratching your head trying to figure out how that posting helped along the discussion of the time.

Sorry if you took what I typed personally. We're certainly good.
I'm good. That's the problem with web conversations, they lack the reality of face to face. Important but missing. Thanks for the heads up, Mike
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

World Traveler
@judy avatar
UTC quote
I have a Zeloni gas cap on Leo the LX 150.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
judy wrote:
How many MPH did you gain? Laughing emoticon
OP
@oldschooot avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@oldschooot avatar
UTC quote
Re: anyone else hate the plastic gas caps?
TroutBum wrote:
OldSchooot wrote:

O.S.

Stig, on the cap threads apply a very thin coat of Vaseline. I mean thin. Not a greasy mess, but faintly noticeable (thin film). Work the cap on and off a few times and it should improve the matchup.
Thanks, I tried that. Crisco works a little better - but nothing really works too well. I think the cap and neck are not close enough in size.
Not a big issue - just hate every fill up time - and at 1.6 gal. that is nearly every day!
The fill neck burping out fuel is when I know it is nearly full.....no matter how slow I try to add fuel always some on the concrete below me as I ride off. That's better for the environment?
O.S.
UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
Silver Streak wrote:
Madison Sully wrote:
WEB-Tech wrote:
Vintage1 wrote:

It's from people not tightening their gas caps tight enough and causing the Check Engine Light to come on that started this I bet.
And just the laziness of people.
Maybe the gas jockeys that forget to put the cap on at all also contributed to it.

This thread gets me thinking about NJ's state car inspection. The only things the inspection covers are your paperwork, your OBD/check engine light, and your gas cap. They take your cap and screw it onto some suction device and your cap either passes or fails.

The inspection system is a joke. It used to be a thorough exam. I believe the only reason they retained these bits is simply because a friend of the governor's got the $500 MILLION original contract. (true fact)
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
As if there's more that really needs to be said on plastic gas caps:

OP-----here ya go---->>>>>Our Kawasaki Mule UTV has a cantankerous plastic gas cap! It seems designed to make one think they are fumble fingered and often takes several tries to get the threads right. I went so far as to get pissed at it and cut the dangle thingy so it was easier to play with. It is larger than a scooter fill cap, say ~ 2 1/4" DIA. My Vespa fill cap is easy on 1st time, every time.

As for Crisco- FWIW, I once heard an ad w/Lorreta Lynn (my wife's from the same spot) saying she uses it for her pies, so it must be good? As a lube, come on? Wha? emoticon
OP
@oldschooot avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@oldschooot avatar
UTC quote
judy wrote:
That darn thing is over $50!!
ZELIONI.
O.S.
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
OldSchooot wrote:
judy wrote:
ZELIONI.
O.S.
and it isn't even visible?
UTC

Hooked
GTS 300 Touring

Hooked
GTS 300 Touring
UTC quote
Kantuckid wrote:
OldSchooot wrote:
judy wrote:
ZELIONI.
O.S.
But you chaps spend less than 2 Dollars on gallon of petrol. I filled my car up the other day and it cost £70 and it wasn't even empty! £1.39 a litre. That's £6.33 a gallon. Admittedly I filled up with Shell V-Power Diesel which is more expensive. Petrol is around £1.25 in the UK. Buy a nice petrol cap guys, you know you'll love it when it arrives!
OP
@oldschooot avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@oldschooot avatar
UTC quote
Kantuckid wrote:
OldSchooot wrote:
judy wrote:
ZELIONI.
O.S.
I'm on the look-out for a large cork . It must, or course, be from an Italian wine....so as not to lose points at "Skeeter's Live Bait & Coffee" Concours d'Elegance this winter.

O.S.
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler

World Traveler
@judy avatar
UTC quote
Worth every penny.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0162s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0087s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]