@socalguy avatar
UTC

bodgemaster
63 GL, 76 Super (x2), 74 Primavera (x2), 79 P200, 06 Fly 150

bodgemaster
@socalguy avatar
63 GL, 76 Super (x2), 74 Primavera (x2), 79 P200, 06 Fly 150
UTC quote
Well lookee there, you do claim to own a Vespa. OK go out and measure the gap between the rotor and the pads. Tell us what the measurement is. We'll wait.
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

World Traveler
@judy avatar
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa
UTC quote
We'll still love you. Your on 2 wheels and that's all good. Have fun
UTC

UTC
This post was not quite
What we were hoping to see
Try again, perhaps?
@kz1000st avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Dongfang 170cc, CF Moto Fashion 250

Molto Verboso
@kz1000st avatar
Dongfang 170cc, CF Moto Fashion 250
UTC quote
What I never understand is why, when belts start shredding, that scooter owners don't just replace the clutch first and then the variatior. I know there is a vast difference in price among makes for these parts but given how clutches engage and disengage a badly operating operating one could be the culprit. The same goes for the variatior.
UTC

UTC
This post was not quite
Try again, perhaps?
UTC

UTC
This post was not quite
Try again, perhaps?
@rwd11954 avatar
UTC

Hooked
2020 Yamaha XMax, 2013 Vespa GTS300 Super, 2003 Stella, 1980 Vespa P200E

Hooked
@rwd11954 avatar
2020 Yamaha XMax, 2013 Vespa GTS300 Super, 2003 Stella, 1980 Vespa P200E
UTC quote
If cost of ownership is an issue and you feel compelled to track it by mile, then don't buy one. Unless you ride a LOT (which I do -- 15,000 miles or more a year), the cost per mile will probably drive you into a tailspin and take all the fun out of it.
UTC

Ossessionato
2018 Vespa GTS 300 ABS- Bianco

Ossessionato
UTC quote
Instead of the OP's goodbye this thread has become "A Return to Squidbillies"

@conchscooter avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2004 Vespa ET4, 2009 Vespa S150, Suzuki Burgman 200

Molto Verboso
@conchscooter avatar
2004 Vespa ET4, 2009 Vespa S150, Suzuki Burgman 200
UTC quote
I lost confidence in my 2007 GTS when fuel pump and electrical relay problems caused stalling and engine computer issues ( that damned yellow idiot light). It was a terrible disappointment. Subsequently I found my Vespa happy place in the air cooled 150 class carbureted and simple.
Modern traffic conditions required more cubic capacity and I felt the risk of returning to the GTS class was unwarranted. A 12 year old GT seemed a poor choice for a 12 month 50 mile commute.
I bought a Burgman 200. No chrome no need for accessories, not even a trunk as the under seat storage is vast and a wind tunnel designed body with integrated windshield. Proper switch gear real front forks and well proportioned drive gear all pointed the way forward.
It is my first non Vespa scooter ( I have ridden Vespas since my first 50R in 1970) and it is extremely satisfying and confidence inducing. It is not a Vespa and it is of a cubic capacity that fits poorly into the US scooter market. All of which makes lightly used models inexpensive.
The BurgmanUSA forum highlights the high mileage riders of this family of scootrrs but the forum itself is clunky and awkward to navigate.
They do not encourage character assasination contests which is a nice thing.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@bob_copeland avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2022 Kymco AK 550

Ossessionato
@bob_copeland avatar
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2022 Kymco AK 550
UTC quote
Suzuki Burgman Maxi-Scooters
Maestro,

Good luck to you. I bought my 2007 Burgman 400AN eleven years ago.
I have +40k miles on it. You have to love those Japanese engineers for quality control. It has never had one problem. Just tires, oil, and regular belt
replacements.

Despite having the Burgman, I had to have the classic Vespa.

Bob Copeland
Minnesota
2007 Burgman 400 - Looks like the day it came off the dealer's showroom floor.
2007 Burgman 400 - Looks like the day it came off the dealer's showroom floor.
UTC

Banned
2009 GTS 250, 2013 Buddy 125, 2014 Triumph Bonneville

Banned
2009 GTS 250, 2013 Buddy 125, 2014 Triumph Bonneville
UTC quote
Bob, that is a great looking ride.
@cheshire avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS (sold)

Molto Verboso
@cheshire avatar
GTS (sold)
UTC quote
This is supposed to be Modern Vespa...not the Basement of ADVRider....
@miguel avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@miguel avatar
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT
UTC quote
Gents, Its really time for everyone to move on to another topics. No one here really gives a shit about which of you two win. I can't believe how much time and efforts you've put into this conversation. I keep reading the thread because I hope something useful comes out of it. Just get your ass in the saddle, go ride, take and post some pics and tell us what a great ride it was.

Cheers!!
Miguel
UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
Vespa
I get what you are saying but it is not a Vespa.
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
'07 LX150 (Sold), '17 GTS300, '16 BV350, '15 EN650, '09 FXDF (sold). '15 FLSTN

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@jet_peddler avatar
'07 LX150 (Sold), '17 GTS300, '16 BV350, '15 EN650, '09 FXDF (sold). '15 FLSTN
UTC quote
Kantuckid wrote:
Instead of the OP's goodbye this thread has become "A Return to Squidbillies"

You got that right.
UTC
Vintage1 has been ejected from this topic
UTC

Hooked
BV250

Hooked
BV250
UTC quote
This will be quite a change. The wheelbase on the Burgman 650 is about the same as the longer Harley cruiser models - in other words - it's a yacht. Double the power of a GTS but far less than double the weight. Should be a rocket. I like having a scooter as an "anti-Harley" (the around town alternative to the big toy) but it sounds fun as an all arounder. Hope it works great. I'm glad this is not a fanboy forum where speaking of other brands is sacrelige.

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
@ianp avatar
UTC

Destroyer of Worlds
LML Star 125, Vespa GT200

Destroyer of Worlds
@ianp avatar
LML Star 125, Vespa GT200
UTC quote
I also fail to understand how a stone in the rear brake on the opposite side from the drive belt could damage the drive belt in any way.

What seems more likely is some combination of an aftermarket belt and poor servicing. For example, on my GT200 (not sure about GTS) you have to ensure that the belt is seated all the way down in the clutch to give it enough slack to torque down the variator nut to the proper setting without pinching the belt. Your average non-Vespa motorcycle mechanic may not know that.

The speed wobble can be corrected almost entirely by using heavier bar end weights, a shorter screen (tall screens are like sails), and 140 rear/130 front tyres instead of the stock 130 and 120.

But even then these scooters are meant to spend most of their miles in the city with the occasional highway trip, not daily high-speed commuting. So it sounds like OP made the right choice by going for function over style.
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
As a guy that fixed machines for a living, a stone causing damage isn't surprising to me. To be analytic toward what we know about the situation is a stretch. Mud, stones, sand, sticks, ice and other debris damage many parts on the undercarriage or suspension and wheel/tire areas on PTW's and other wheeled machines.
Could it have been another factor, sure but we don't have enough information and the OP shared what he knew, I can leave it at that.
That Burgman is quite a leap in size over a Vespa. For my pleasure, I don't want big anymore, nor have I ever liked the Burgman's style. Like many rides, once you get on them, the pleasure, or not, of the ride takes over.
I've wondered if the hood view of an Aztec SUV (my idea of a fugly vehicle) is better than the sideview? Laughing emoticon
UTC

Addicted
2022 Honda PCX 150A, 2018 GTS300 [sold] & 2015 GTS300 Super [sold]

Addicted
UTC quote
So, it has cost about 20 cents per mile to drive your Vespa (excluding the cost for the purchase). That's cheaper than the per mile cost of my running shoes - my $150 running shoes only last 500 miles (30 cents per mile)! From a financial standpoint, I should be riding more and running less!
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
P.S. - Sorry to see you leave the Vespa community. As a fellow New Englander, I understand the lack of service options. Luckily Connecticut now has two Vespa dealers - Vespa Vernon and Vespa New Haven. Parts availability is still tough though. A couple of years ago, when I needed a new gas cap, Vespa New Haven had to order one... It took weeks to arrive. Recently, I needed an exhaust clamp, and I almost drove to Boston to get the clamp as neither CT Vespa dealer had one in stock. Good luck with the Burgman.
@cdwise avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, Buddy 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@cdwise avatar
GTS 300, Buddy 125
UTC quote
theschuman wrote:
P.S. - Sorry to see you leave the Vespa community. As a fellow New Englander, I understand the lack of service options. Luckily Connecticut now has two Vespa dealers - Vespa Vernon and Vespa New Haven. Parts availability is still tough though. A couple of years ago, when I needed a new gas cap, Vespa New Haven had to order one... It took weeks to arrive. Recently, I needed an exhaust clamp, and I almost drove to Boston to get the clamp as neither CT Vespa dealer had one in stock. Good luck with the Burgman.
in May on my way to Colorado I was riding through Santa Fe and while I was stopped at a light a guy asked me if my Verde Esperanza GTS was a stock color. He used to own Vespa of New Haven.
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
Ebay and the web is full of exhaust clamps. Next day shipping or Amazon prime, etc., would be cheaper than the gasoline? for most of us to fetch one.
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350
UTC quote
ianp wrote:
What seems more likely is some combination of an aftermarket belt and poor servicing. For example, on my GT200 (not sure about GTS) you have to ensure that the belt is seated all the way down in the clutch to give it enough slack to torque down the variator nut to the proper setting without pinching the belt.
Same, FWIW.
⬆️    About 2 months elapsed    ⬇️
@tomcat_f-14 avatar
UTC

Honda Elite 250, Burgman 650, GTS 300 ABS

@tomcat_f-14 avatar
UTC quote
Re: Goodbye to the Vespa
maestro wrote:
Dear Forum Members,

After five years and 31,663 miles I have traded in my 2013 Vespa GTS300ie Super for a Suzuki Burgman 650. Because I compulsively tracked every expense with this bike, I thought you might appreciate knowing what it cost me to run that scooter from April to November each year, and why it is I decided to part with it -- and I also wanted to take this one last opportunity to thank the forum members for five years of enjoyment, education and support around all things Vespa.

The first issue of concern with this bike is that it has, for the past two years, destroyed drive belts, and the appalling lack of dealerships here in the northeast (where I ride) has made repair, especially emergency repair, extremely difficult -- to the point that I have become afraid to trust the bike on long trips. Last summer, on a trip around Prince Edward Island, the bike somehow managed to snag a stone into the rear brake. By the time I recognized the problem and had it fixed (at a friendly Yamaha dealer, as there are no Vespa dealers on PEI), it had worn the drive belt to the point that, as I exited the Confederation Bridge from PEI to New Brunswick at 65MPH, the drive belt shredded. Fortunate not to have been killed, I spent the afternoon beside the Transcanada Highway until a wrecker towed the bike to Moncton, where I waited a week for a new belt. Again, no Vespa dealers in New Brunswick, but I found a very friendly BMW mechanic who took care of the bike.

This new belt worked for the rest of last season, and then failed this past June 2018, again leaving me beside the road. The one Vespa dealer in Maine who regularly services the bike thought that, when the old belt broke, the BMW mechanic did not disassemble the clutches, leaving little bits of belt in there to gum up the new one and hasten its demise. I don't know -- but I just didn't feel confident anymore that the bike would get me home, and the fact that there are so few dealers in northern New England and maritime Canada left me seeking a better-supported brand of scooter.

And then, as I began riding to my new job on high-speed highways last fall, I became very uneasy with the extreme jitteriness of the Vespa at any speed above 60MPH. Maybe it's my particular bike, I don't know, but my guess is that the combination of windscreen, topbox, and 12-inch tires becomes unstable at high speeds, especially on windy days. But -- and this is the other factor that led me to trade it in -- I was becoming increasingly uneasy about riding the Vespa to work anymore, it just felt like an accident waiting to happen.

So, I looked for a bigger scooter with a better dealer network and settled on the Suzuki Burgman 650. I'm really happy with it, as it solves the jitters problem and it also has a number of really excellent features which the Vespa does not, like an underseat light, parking brake, ABS brakes (I know this feature appears on the new Vespas, but my 2013 didn't have them), trip meters, thermometer, etc., etc. And that means that this is my last post here, and I'm off to the BurgmanUSA forum.

Before I go, though, I was compulsive enough to record every expenditure I ever made on this Vespa, beginning with the purchase price and including every tire, every service, and every tank of gas. Over five years and 31,663 miles, I spent per mile:

$0.15788744 on repair and maintenance
$0.0488586 on gasoline (averaged 69MPG overall)
$0.23 for the original purchase cost. Of course, this would be lower per mile, the longer I owned the bike.

Add this up and I have spent about 43 cents per mile on this bike. Does that seem like a lot?

Maintenance costs on the Vespa 300 have averaged almost exactly $1000/year for the last five years, including seven new tires and two new drive belts, along with the routine service required. This was my first bike, and so my only experience in this regard, but that seems like a lot of money to me, just to keep the thing running safely.

Now it could be argued that those maintenance costs are artificially higher due to the unusual sequence of events that began with a rock stuck in the rear brake and led to two breakdowns and two new drive belts. But why would a rock stick in the rear brake in the first place? Is this a design flaw? The new Vespas now have anti-lock brakes, which suggests that the brakes have been re-designed since mine were built in 2013, so maybe that issue is resolved.

Anyway, I hope this information is helpful to you. I conclude this post by saying thanks to all the members for five years of assistance, knowledge, information and entertainment; it was great knowing there was a place to go if I ever needed help with the bike, or just to find something entertaining to think about and discuss. You folks have made a wonderful forum and I am grateful to have been a small part of it for the past five years.

If you are considering a trip to Maine, please look into my trip blog, [url]www.scootersmaine.wordpress.com[/url] , where you can find a number of (I think) interesting destinations for great rides in the Pine Tree State. And if you do come this way, I hope you will get in touch. Best wishes to all and thanks again!
I had a 2004 Burgman 650 for 11 years for a total of 40,000 miles in NYC.
Great bike, the engine will last 100,000 miles, but the CVT transmission will fail every 15,000-20,000 miles at a major expense and time.
I performed the first CVT transmission overhaul, but I refused to do it again and sold it for parts. I would never buy another bike with a CVT transmission.
@breaknwind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Red Devil SH150i (10,000)

Ossessionato
@breaknwind avatar
Red Devil SH150i (10,000)
UTC quote
Tomcat F-14 wrote:
I would never buy another bike with a CVT transmission.
You must not realize the bike you're sitting on in your avatar has a CVT transmission.
@kabarash avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'08 Gunuine Buddy 150 St Tropez 'Simon' '04 Honda Metropolitian 'Archie' [Sadly had to trade it away ;-( ]

Molto Verboso
@kabarash avatar
'08 Gunuine Buddy 150 St Tropez 'Simon' '04 Honda Metropolitian 'Archie' [Sadly had to trade it away ;-( ]
UTC quote
breaknwind wrote:
Tomcat F-14 wrote:
You must not realize the bike you're sitting on in your avatar has a CVT transmission.
T'was what I was thinking as well.....
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up
UTC quote
KABarash wrote:
breaknwind wrote:
Tomcat F-14 wrote:
T'was what I was thinking as well.....
+3 on that.
@tomcat_f-14 avatar
UTC

@tomcat_f-14 avatar
UTC quote
breaknwind wrote:
Tomcat F-14 wrote:
Sorry, I meant electronic transmission.
UTC

Enthusiast
2018 GTS 300 Touring

Enthusiast
2018 GTS 300 Touring
UTC quote
Tomcat F-14 wrote:
Great bike, the engine will last 100,000 miles, but the CVT transmission will fail every 15,000-20,000 miles at a major expense and time.
I performed the first CVT transmission overhaul, but I refused to do it again and sold it for parts. I would never buy another bike with a CVT transmission.
Interesting, back in 2015 I picked-up a second-hand '05 Burgman 650 with 6k miles that I proceeded to put another 40k on before trading it in towards an '18 Burgman Exec. Nary a belt or CVT hiccup during the entire time. I was putting tires on every year (my daily commuter) and changing oil, filter and tranny oil every 5k. When I traded it in, the dealership docked me $50 of trade-in value due to the rear brakes needing replaced. Trade-in was still more than I paid for it back in '15!

I'm skeptical of all blanket statements talking about reliability, cost-of-ownership, etc. I really like how the OP presented things. "Here's my experience, here's my data, do with it what you will...see ya later." In my experience, riding style, environment, regular maintenance, willingness/ability to read the interwebs and turn a wrench trump all "Scooter X is horribly unreliable" or "Scooter Y is too expensive to own" proclamations.

That said, my Burgmans have been the most boring, un-sexy PTWs I've ever owned...but boring and un-sexy has been my motif for too many decades to worry about changing it now! 8)

Best of luck on your new adventures, maestro!
@tomcat_f-14 avatar
UTC

@tomcat_f-14 avatar
UTC quote
Monguire wrote:
Tomcat F-14 wrote:
Interesting, back in 2015 I picked-up a second-hand '05 Burgman 650 with 6k miles that I proceeded to put another 40k on before trading it in towards an '18 Burgman Exec. Nary a belt or CVT hiccup during the entire time. I was putting tires on every year (my daily commuter) and changing oil, filter and tranny oil every 5k. When I traded it in, the dealership docked me $50 of trade-in value due to the rear brakes needing replaced. Trade-in was still more than I paid for it back in '15!

I'm skeptical of all blanket statements talking about reliability, cost-of-ownership, etc. I really like how the OP presented things. "Here's my experience, here's my data, do with it what you will...see ya later." In my experience, riding style, environment, regular maintenance, willingness/ability to read the interwebs and turn a wrench trump all "Scooter X is horribly unreliable" or "Scooter Y is too expensive to own" proclamations.

That said, my Burgmans have been the most boring, un-sexy PTWs I've ever owned...but boring and un-sexy has been my motif for too many decades to worry about changing it now! 8)

Best of luck on your new adventures, maestro!
I was unlucky the Burgman 650 CVT was redesign in '05, '11, and '13 due to reliability and comfort issues. Crying or Very sad emoticon
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@vintage_red_matthew avatar
UTC

MV Santa
GTS250, 1975 VBC, 1980 P200E cutdown

MV Santa
@vintage_red_matthew avatar
GTS250, 1975 VBC, 1980 P200E cutdown
UTC quote
A disc brake pad consists of two components. The friction material glued to a metal backing plate. The friction material rides in direct contact with the brake disc even when the brakes are not applied and IMHO there is no way for a rock to get between the friction material and the disc. The friction material does not, however, on any that I have seen extend to the edge of the metal backing plate. There is a space between the backing plate and the disc where a rock could be trapped and cause considerable damage as the friction material wore away.
@waterboysh avatar
UTC

Hooked
2013 BV 350

Hooked
@waterboysh avatar
2013 BV 350
UTC quote
This thread was an interesting read for me. I've lost confidence in my BV 350. I'm sure some of y'all have seen the post I made back in March about my engine stalling out while driving.

I've been taking the bus to and from work. It's an okay solution. Honestly, it's not so bad but it means I can't go anywhere during my break or after work if I need to, or if I need to leave early and just missed the bus, I have to wait 30 minutes for the next one. I miss the freedom having my own vehicle gives me.

I've been eyeing the Forza 300 and have found some decent deals on new 2016 models in nearby cities. But I've also been eyeing the Burgman 400. Reading some of the posts in this thread have pushed me more towards the Burgman. It'll be more expensive to purchase though.

I'm really not in a super hurry to buy a new bike since I can take the bus. It gives me time to look around and find exactly what I want.
UTC

Banned
2007 LX50

Banned
2007 LX50
UTC quote
As a new member & Vespa owner I have to say when I think of scooters the Vespa pops to mind. They cool man. Famous quote: more sophisticated it is, easier it is to clog the toilets. I like the fitty for the city. Air-cooled dirt simple. I bought this one 11 yrs old already without fear because it's fun to learn to turn, a wrench that is. It being Italian it's also quite serendipitous because Italian machines tend to have issues. Not always, but most of the time But they have souls as well and that's why I like them really. My Ducatis are for the twisties, I bought the Vespa for style and utility. It has been a pleasure so far and quite faithful. I ride the crap out of it. About the rock in the brakes, not quite sure how OP managed that but I guess anything can happen. Belts were probably a victim of installation error. My impression is that Vespas are among the more solidly built scooters available.
UTC

GTS 250

GTS 250
UTC quote
First Post
I Now ride a Vespa GTS 250 because I like the look and ride of the machine. I Started 25 years ago with a 250 Helix then to a 650 Burg, then to a 400 burg, then to a 400 Yamaha Majesty (that I still own) and now to a the Vespa 250, My first Vespa. I loved them all, I don't care how much they cost to ride, I just like two wheels!! And I love Scooters!!!

I can say this, I like the Yamaha 400 and the Vespa 250 the best out of all these machines.
@sledge avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS 300 HPE

Ossessionato
@sledge avatar
GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
Re: First Post
[quote="ScootOhio"]I Now ride a Vespa GTS 250 because I like the look and ride of the machine. I Started 25 years ago with a 250 Helix then to a 650 Burg, then to a 400 burg, then to a 400 Yamaha Majesty (that I still own) and now to a the Vespa 250, My first Vespa. I loved them all, I don't care how much they cost to ride, I just like two wheels!! And I love Scooters!!!

I can say this, I like the Yamaha 400 and the Vespa 250 the best out of all these machines.[/quote

Hello and welcome. Start a new thread, introduce yourself and post photos, lots of photos,
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0343s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0134s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]