@captain_jim avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS 300 HPE

Molto Verboso
@captain_jim avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
Yep. And a Honda PCX, too. We did a fun loop today, about 140 miles of mostly twisties, with some time in Sturgis. If you ever wondered what Main Street in Sturgis looks like during the Ralley...

[url]
By the time we went back through Vanocker Canyon, the traffic had picked up a bit...
[url]

More photos here:

http://captnjim.blogspot.com/2018/08/vespa-in-sturgis.html

Preview:

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

Riding through Sturgis, I got several thumbs up and a "rock 'n roll!"! 8)

Since I was taking photos, here's proof of the Vespa in the "conga line"...

@jet_peddler avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
'07 LX150 (Sold), '17 GTS300, '16 BV350, '15 EN650, '09 FXDF (sold). '15 FLSTN

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC quote
Thanks for the videos Jim. Looks like a lot of fun.

What reactions did you and the Vespa get from the Harley crowd and what percentage of the PTW's there do you estimate were non-Harleys?
OP
@captain_jim avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS 300 HPE

Molto Verboso
@captain_jim avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
Jet Peddler wrote:
Thanks for the videos Jim. Looks like a lot of fun.

What reactions did you and the Vespa get from the Harley crowd and what percentage of the PTW's there do you estimate were non-Harleys?
Hi JP,

Well other than the "thumbs up" I mentioned, there was one "slightly amused" smile from a woman on the back of a Harley. There may have been others - you kinda have to pay attention to the riding in a crowd like that. There were a couple double-takes.

It has been a few years since we've been around for the Rally. We used to live in Spearfish (17 miles northwest of Sturgis), so it was easy to spend time on Main Street. In years past, I would estimate the Harley contingent at 90%... looking around today (and the other two times we've been in Sturgis in the past 5 days), I would say that percentage is probably higher this year.

We lived here in the late 70s when the crowd was smaller, but rowdier. There used to be a lot of the "I'd rather push my Harley than ride a rice-burner" attitude back then, but the crowd has definitely aged.

One of my favorite memories of Sturgis was in the 80s: while looking for a place to park my bike, I wound up next to an older couple on a Goldwing, she was holding a small dog on her lap... and next to them was a rough-looking guy on a rat-bike Harley, and the two guys were happily visiting.

No unpleasantness while we were in Sturgis or out on the roads around there. I asked a lady who got off the back of a Harley trike if she'd take our photo at one stop today...

She said, "My pleasure."

I was pleased our routing kept us from getting stuck in the crowds for most of the day. Maybe I have finally "matured"... the riding is still fun, but that constant ROAR (like you hear on Main Street) tends to wear on us.
@ks7877 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@ks7877 avatar
UTC quote
I was there, too. But in 2013. I always had a laugh at the posers who wanted to poke fun at me until they realized I rode from San Diego and they trailered from Billings or Sioux Falls (or another very close town). Glad to hear you had fun!

(edited for grammar and spelling errors)
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
⚠️ Last edited by ks7877 on UTC; edited 1 time
@kshansen avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTV300 (wife's)

Molto Verboso
@kshansen avatar
GTV300 (wife's)
UTC quote
ks7877 wrote:
I was there, too. But in 2013. I always had a laugh at the posers who wanted to poke fun at me until they realized is rode from San Diego and they trailered from Billings ot Sioux Falls (or another very close town). Glad to hear you had fun!
That reminded me of the time my first wife and I were at a motorcycle rally with my Sportster/sidecar outfit down in Lancaster PA. in the early 1990's. Which is only about 270 miles from our home.

Due to crowded dinning room at the motel we were sharing a table with another couple.

We got to talking with them and the guy mentioned they had a problem unloading his wife's bike off the trailer and dropped it. Then come to learn they had come only 50 miles from home attend the rally.

We said we were sorry to hear about the problem but when we were back in our room had a good laugh at them!
OP
@captain_jim avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS 300 HPE

Molto Verboso
@captain_jim avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
We lived in Sturgis, then in Boulder Canyon, and then 20 years in Spearfish... yeah, I rode mine... the whole 17 miles.

While many people do trailer their bikes, plenty more still ride here. We trailer our scoots around - I like the comfort of my motorhome while we are on the road. We spent years motorcycle camping/motelling, and don't care to go back to that.

We are spending a couple months at a nice membership RV resort in the Hills - there are a lot of trailers here currently. We aren't here for the Rally, but will take in some of the "Main Street crazy parade."

If we do 50 to 150 miles of riding through the twisties, then come back to the comforts of the motorhome, I am a happy boy. This is not at a "Rally campground" where the roar is non-stop 24/7.

I think the Sturgis Rally is a bit like Mardi Gras on motorcycles. And like Mardi Gras (in NOLA), everyone should get the opportunity to take it in at least once. It is an event.

I guess I don't look at those who trailer as "posers"... we all enjoy our recreation differently. I admire those who do the Scooter Cannonball, but I don't see that as something I'd be inclined to participate in.
@troutbum avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2012 Kymco Like 200i (Sold), 2018 FLSL

Ossessionato
@troutbum avatar
2012 Kymco Like 200i (Sold), 2018 FLSL
UTC quote
Thanks Captain for sharing! Enjoyed your report and your blog.
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC quote
Thanks for filling us in on your exploits. Makes this site even more interesting and fun.
@vespizzare avatar
UTC

Addicted
Customized 2006 LX150 Thunderbolt the Wondercolt

Addicted
@vespizzare avatar
Customized 2006 LX150 Thunderbolt the Wondercolt
UTC quote
I find large motorcycle riders most congenial when I'm next to them at a light. Most ofter we exchange nods. It seems like there is a bond between riders that overrules any cc disparity. That's my experience anyway.
@mjrally avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
73 & 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 06 PX150, 59 Ser 2, 65 Silver Special, 90 V5N 50, 2015 HD Road Glide Special

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@mjrally avatar
73 & 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 06 PX150, 59 Ser 2, 65 Silver Special, 90 V5N 50, 2015 HD Road Glide Special
UTC quote
I took my big bike there for the setup and left Friday (opening day). I saw plenty of locals on Chinese clones running around, a Ruckus and two bigger Yamahas. No Vespas. Most ignored my waving but managed to get a grin out of one guy.
I managed to get a quick shot of this local in Deadwood
I managed to get a quick shot of this local in Deadwood
@ks7877 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@ks7877 avatar
UTC quote
Captain Jim wrote:
... I don't look at those who trailer as "posers"...
I've trailered, shipped, ridden cupcake, etc. But I prefer to ride. I'm lucky to have the time (and inclination) to do so. To be clear, it's not trailering that makes a posers in my book. It's pretending to be a badass in front of other riders by trying to demean the chick on a scooter.
OP
@captain_jim avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS 300 HPE

Molto Verboso
@captain_jim avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
Another day in Sturgis:

I've always thought Thursday of the Rally is the most dangerous day...

http://captnjim.blogspot.com/2018/08/the-most-dangerous-day-of-rally.html

A preview...

Joan explaining to a guy that "No, those aren't mopeds..."

Joan behind a Hell's Angels rider through town...

Another trip through Vanocker Canyon...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7qLeqIOAMw&feature=youtu.be
OP
@captain_jim avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS 300 HPE

Molto Verboso
@captain_jim avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
Winding down. The local media (TV stations) were calling the Sturgis Rally "over as of Friday night." Umm... no. There will be a lot of people leaving, and still more coming in for the weekend. Monday (historically), they open Main Street up again for car traffic... then, the Rally is over.

Today, the weather weasels are predicting a hot one: 95º... that may send some folks packing. For us, it meant a decision to get out for a couple hours of riding - early.

I had some concerns that the Rally would get in the way of our riding, but that isn't how it went down: besides going to Sturgis a few times, we have still had plenty of good riding in. We planned our times, and picked our routes... it has been a great 10 days! Getting the Corbin seat before their booth got crazy busy was nice timing, too. It has been a fun change of pace.

We went for a "re-run" of some of our favorite roads today: Neck Yoke, South Rockerville Rd, Iron Mountain Road, Playhouse Rd, and then looping back. I was amazed at how light the traffic was!

http://captnjim.blogspot.com/2018/08/ridus-interruptus.html
[url]
And, back to the coach before the hottest part of the day.

The smallest bikes we've taken to Sturgis during the Rally, but still big fun.

A preview...

OP
@captain_jim avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS 300 HPE

Molto Verboso
@captain_jim avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
A wrap up to the Sturgis thread: I was craving steak tips today, so we did a 100 mile ride, taking the curvy roads, to Sturgis. Downtown Main Street looks a bit different 4 days after the Rally has ended...

A link: http://captnjim.blogspot.com/2018/08/what-is-that.html

Some curves...

And, a video of Vanocker Canyon...

The link ends with a discussion with the only person on Earth who hasn't heard of Vespa.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0188s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0047s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]