UTC

Enthusiast
2001 ET4 125cc/2016 Primavera 125cc

Enthusiast
@chanpagne avatar
UTC quote
Hi all

I would like to introduce you to my ride - Aurora (Ororo Monroe)! 20 points for anyone that gets the reference!!

So she's paid for and I'm collecting her on Friday. I'm in the process of ordering new security devices as I really don't want her to get stolen.

What would you all recommend?

Access to a secure underground car park at work. I can chain her to the railings at home, but still need a good combination for home & on the road. I want an alarmed disc lock (otr & home). Chain & lock for at home.

Based on Thatcham I'm looking at the Abus alarmed disc locks - ABUS Detecto 10707551 Brake Disc Lock x Plus 8008 & Abus Granit Detecto X-Plus 8077 Disc Lock 13.5mm. I don't know if either of these fit!

Anyone else own a 2016 Primavera? What do you use?

Thanks in advance.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
⚠️ Last edited by Chanpagne on UTC; edited 2 times
@kimbered avatar
UTC

Hooked
2013 Vespa GTS 300, 2007 Vespa LX150 (sold)

Hooked
@kimbered avatar
2013 Vespa GTS 300, 2007 Vespa LX150 (sold)
UTC quote
Hi! Can't help with the security question, but did want to congratulate you on the new scooter. Looks great!
UTC

Primavera

Primavera
UTC quote
Is it Munroe?

I haven't received my scooter yet (come on phone, ring!), but have been researching locking it up for ages. Have seen where people had to return the Detecto because it didn't fit in the Vespa's discs. Really wanted that model myself! Now I'm bouncing between a Xena and a smaller Abus, think it's a 305. Have ordered a BigPantha handle grip lock and helmet lock. Really want a Pragmasis chain and an Abus Granite Extreme U lock . Not sure if the 11mm chain will fit through the wheels and if I have to wrap up the floorboard, then I'd rather go with a larger chain, even though they are heavy. It will all be pricey, but it's worth it if it makes a thief move along to an easier target and I can use the chain and lock for anything else in the future.
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350
UTC quote
She's lovely. Wishing you the best security karma!
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
'07 LX150 (Sold), '17 GTS300, '16 BV350, '15 EN650, '09 FXDF (sold). '15 FLSTN

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC quote
Congrats on the Primmie, lovely scoot.

Same security as any other scooter I suppose. Keep it inside if possible. If not some options are:

1. Disc lock (with or without alarm)
2. Rear wheel clamp lock
3. Cable locked to a post or sunken eye-bolt.
4. Park it out of sight.
5. Throttle/brake lock
6. Keep a mean, hungry dog leashed to it.
7. All of the above.

Good luck!
@lord_ickenham avatar
UTC

Addicted
et 2 50cc

Addicted
@lord_ickenham avatar
et 2 50cc
UTC quote
Jet Peddler wrote:
Congrats on the Primmie, lovely scoot.

Same security as any other scooter I suppose. Keep it inside if possible. If not some options are:

1. Disc lock (with or without alarm)
2. Rear wheel clamp lock
3. Cable locked to a post or sunken eye-bolt.
4. Park it out of sight.
5. Throttle/brake lock
6. Keep a mean, hungry dog leashed to it.
7. All of the above.

Good luck!
4. Is not a good advice, I think. If you park out of sight, there a thief could "work" without attention. Park it to a frequented place, or in a locked garage.
UTC

Ossessionato
GT200 & GTS250 & NC750X & Royal Enfield Pegasus

Ossessionato
UTC quote
I wrote a reasonably comprehensive guide to security in the wiki section. I'm afraid the advice given by Jet Peddler isn't very accurate - throttle and brake locks are useless if the thieves know what they're doing and cable locks can be cut with just a pair of house hold pliers.
OP
@chanpagne avatar
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
@chanpagne avatar
UTC quote
Thanks for the responses.

I was more interested in individual recommendations - going through Amazon & Thatcham trying to figure out what actually works on this particular model is proving time consuming (mainly because people with Vespas don't seem to leave reviews!) and I'm collecting tomorrow so I was hoping to have narrowed down my options and placed an order in advance of collecting.

I still have my OF802 Oxford chain & lock, cover & griplock from my current model which I can still use, but I want to upgrade because to be honest - who's going to steal Pearl?!? I've literally left her with no security (except arming the alarm) when going to Asda. Aurora is a completely different beast though.

I am going to Southend this weekend and I live in Battersea. I'm now riding to Southend (with Aurora) because without fairly decent kit I'm not leaving her unattended before people know she's mine.

Until I fit an alarm, an alarmed disc lock is my best option for a noise deterrent as she's chained outside my window it will wake me up.

Anyone got any product recommendations?
OP
@chanpagne avatar
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
@chanpagne avatar
UTC quote
mnox1 wrote:
Is it Munroe?

I haven't received my scooter yet (come on phone, ring!), but have been researching locking it up for ages. Have seen where people had to return the Detecto because it didn't fit in the Vespa's discs. Really wanted that model myself! Now I'm bouncing between a Xena and a smaller Abus, think it's a 305. Have ordered a BigPantha handle grip lock and helmet lock. Really want a Pragmasis chain and an Abus Granite Extreme U lock . Not sure if the 11mm chain will fit through the wheels and if I have to wrap up the floorboard, then I'd rather go with a larger chain, even though they are heavy. It will all be pricey, but it's worth it if it makes a thief move along to an easier target and I can use the chain and lock for anything else in the future.
It should be spelt with a U silly auto predict.

Ororo Munroe is the 'real' name of the Xmen character Storm!! I just thought calling her Storm was a bit obvious though!

Has your Vespa arrived yet? Have you sorted your security? When I use it my current chain goes around the floorboard. The anti pinch pin is on order...I just want it to be as secure as possible!! Was the U lock the Abus 58606 model?
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC quote
robinm wrote:
I wrote a reasonably comprehensive guide to security in the wiki section. I'm afraid the advice given by Jet Peddler isn't very accurate - throttle and brake locks are useless if the thieves know what they're doing and cable locks can be cut with just a pair of house hold pliers.
Robin, all of my suggestions are useless in the face of a determined thief. All any of them will do is make one's scoot less convenient to steal than another option possibly available. The more visual deterrents the better.
UTC

Banned
2009 GTS 250, 2013 Buddy 125, 2014 Triumph Bonneville

Banned
UTC quote
A hardened cable lock will not be cut with household pliers.

A disc lock with alarm and a good cable around a fixed object or into an eye-bolt into concrete will deter/stop 95% of all thieves. Thieves don't want to spend a lot of time somewhere, and don't want to be seen carrying a long bolt-cutter and other tools. An alert, barking dog is a great addition too.

I know you have a much bigger and different problem in London w/r/t scooter thefts than we have in the USA, but in my LEO career here there were only a few scooter thefts that I was involved with, and all of them were either someone walking the scooter off, or three men jump out of a pickup truck and lift and toss it into the bed of the truck and are there and gone in 30 seconds.
@nomad68 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Back on a 125cc!

Molto Verboso
@nomad68 avatar
Back on a 125cc!
@lord_ickenham avatar
UTC

Addicted
et 2 50cc

Addicted
@lord_ickenham avatar
et 2 50cc
UTC quote
Jet Peddler wrote:
robinm wrote:
Robin, all of my suggestions are useless in the face of a determined thief. All any of them will do is make one's scoot less convenient to steal than another option possibly available. The more visual deterrents the better.
I agree. The thiefs don't want to work too much. Easy and fast are their aims. I think big chains and locks better than hidden stuffs.
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

World Traveler
@judy avatar
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa
UTC quote
I wouldn't"t park it out of sight. I met my friend in Honolulu and parked at the covered parkinng at our mall. We didn't get back til late and the parking lot was empty. I saw my Piaggio logo laying on the ground. Some A'Hole tried to steal Leo. Livid emoticon Livid emoticon Thankfully they didn't do any damage. I'm assuming that they didn't have enough time to steal it or maybe the flashing red light deterred them. I'll never know for sure but am thanful he wasn't destroyed or stolen.
UTC

Primavera

Primavera
UTC quote
Thought that was about Storm! Love it! Haven't decided on my Scoot's name yet, lol. She might be "Sweetie", so I can say "Hallo Sweetie" whenever I see her. That just popped in my head. We'll see.

Haven't got the call yet, think they are probably waiting on the red seat. Finally pushed the button on my orders, late last night. So much back and forth, I couldn't take it anymore. This is what I went with:

-Pragmasis 13mm covered "Protector" chain with the loop end (Lockitt)
-Abus Granit Extreme 260mm U lock (new on eBay)
-BigPantha Upgraded Handlebar lock (Amazon)
-BigPantha Helmet Lock and Cable (Amazon)
-Non Vespa cover, after realizing a branded cover might draw unwanted attention (ScooterWest)

Didn't pull the trigger for a disc lock yet. Don't need the alarm, would never hear it, but want every obstacle I can get. Thinking of the Abus, but will wait. Once I get the U lock, I could have it keyed the same, but need the number. Think I'll wait until picking up the scoot and mess with some disc locks at the shop, if they'll let me.

[quote="Chanpagne"]
mnox1 wrote:
Is it Munroe?

It should be spelt with a U silly auto predict.

Ororo Munroe is the 'real' name of the Xmen character Storm!! I just thought calling her Storm was a bit obvious though!

Has your Vespa arrived yet? Have you sorted your security? When I use it my current chain goes around the floorboard. The anti pinch pin is on order...I just want it to be as secure as possible!! Was the U lock the Abus 58606 model?
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC quote
Progress!
OP
@chanpagne avatar
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
@chanpagne avatar
UTC quote
Thanks again for the suggestions everyone!!

I have made my decisions!

- Pragmasis 13mm Chain & Dib D-Lock https://securityforbikes.com/proddetail.php?prod=P13-x.x-DIB

- MysBiker Disc Brake Lock (until alarm fitted, maybe even after) https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B073WFPY7Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

- Plain black scooter cover
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06XDN262M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

- Alarm (I purchased a few years ago , but didn't need because Pearl has one)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0077QI5C0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Pragmasis items arrived today - I only ordered yesterday, so impressed with speed and customer service.

I also found this video which is what made me rethink my Pragmasis purchases. Apparently the Dib lock even without the chain is a nightmare to get through.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64rP6h5srPA
OP
@chanpagne avatar
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
@chanpagne avatar
UTC quote
mnox1 wrote:
Thought that was about Storm! Love it! Haven't decided on my Scoot's name yet, lol. She might be "Sweetie", so I can say "Hallo Sweetie" whenever I see her. That just popped in my head. We'll see.

Haven't got the call yet, think they are probably waiting on the red seat. Finally pushed the button on my orders, late last night. So much back and forth, I couldn't take it anymore. This is what I went with:

-Pragmasis 13mm covered "Protector" chain with the loop end (Lockitt)
-Abus Granit Extreme 260mm U lock (new on eBay)
-BigPantha Upgraded Handlebar lock (Amazon)
-BigPantha Helmet Lock and Cable (Amazon)
-Non Vespa cover, after realizing a branded cover might draw unwanted attention (ScooterWest)

Didn't pull the trigger for a disc lock yet. Don't need the alarm, would never hear it, but want every obstacle I can get. Thinking of the Abus, but will wait. Once I get the U lock, I could have it keyed the same, but need the number. Think I'll wait until picking up the scoot and mess with some disc locks at the shop, if they'll let me.

Well I look forward to seeing her and finding out what you name her.

Super nervous/excited about picking up Aurora today...She's so much more responsive than Pearl.

I haven't thought about getting a helmet lock. I tend to carry it or leave it in the top box, so might be alright. I do think I'll replace my helmet soon though.

I'm hopeful that having 2 or 3 locks to get through whenever I park her up in public is enough deterrent!
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC quote
Best of luck Chanpagne! You're going to enjoy her.
@kabarash avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'08 Gunuine Buddy 150 St Tropez 'Simon' '04 Honda Metropolitian 'Archie' [Sadly had to trade it away ;-( ]

Molto Verboso
@kabarash avatar
'08 Gunuine Buddy 150 St Tropez 'Simon' '04 Honda Metropolitian 'Archie' [Sadly had to trade it away ;-( ]
UTC quote
Maybe one of these guys as part of your 'security detail'.
@nickname615 avatar
UTC

2016 Vespa GTS 300

@nickname615 avatar
2016 Vespa GTS 300
UTC quote
Along with all the real security solutions you could also try uglification...

Noun. uglification (countable and uncountable, plural uglifications) The process of being made ugly or uglified.

I've heard that thieves are less likely to steal something with more personalization that makes it stand out and therefore easier to spot. (think stickers and unique paint jobs)

just a thought.
@amateriat avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)

Ossessionato
@amateriat avatar
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)
UTC quote
Jet Peddler wrote:
robinm wrote:
My thoughts exactly: no single option is a silver bullet here, but multiple steps can slow most thieves down sufficiently to pass over nicking your ride. I'm thinking a Grip-Lock and an alarmed disc lock can deter anyone short of a team of well-coordinated pros, which I know there are more of in London than seemingly anyplace else. And, yes, I agree with the sentiment of not parking the bike "out of sight", unless we're talking a seriously-secured garage.
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
I'll quickly point out that a grip lock would take me approximately 10 seconds to disable and I'm not a bike thief. It might be OK in Pennsylvania but here in London it's just not an option. Buy one if you want but there's far better ways to spend your money.

Regards cable locks: our post office left one of their trolleys locked to a lamppost outside a neighbours house. They left it there for a over year despite multiple calls to remove it. The old lady that lived there asked me if I could do something. It was a large cable lock, the sort you see in motorcycle bays, and I was expecting to be there for hours but it took me less than 5 minutes with a small pair of electrical wiring snips.

If you want to protect your own pride and joy with such locks then feel free but recommending these locks to people living here in London isn't helpful.
@andyscooter avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa gt200

Molto Verboso
@andyscooter avatar
Vespa gt200
UTC quote
Chanpagne wrote:
Thanks again for the suggestions everyone!!

I have made my decisions!

- Pragmasis 13mm Chain & Dib D-Lock https://securityforbikes.com/proddetail.php?prod=P13-x.x-DIB

upgrade to 16 or 19 13mm can be cropperd with bolt croppers in seconds

- MysBiker Disc Brake Lock (until alarm fitted, maybe even after) https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B073WFPY7Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

worth having but only as a deterrent as well as a chain at all times

- Plain black scooter cover
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06XDN262M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
useful if parked next to a less locked scooter but not much use in any wind as will act as a sail and make scooter fall over
- Alarm (I purchased a few years ago , but didn't need because Pearl has one)
most people ignore them anyway
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0077QI5C0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Pragmasis items arrived today - I only ordered yesterday, so impressed with speed and customer service.

I also found this video which is what made me rethink my Pragmasis purchases. Apparently the Dib lock even without the chain is a nightmare to get through.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64rP6h5srPA
my best advise is move out of London as it seems to be a case of not if but when it will be nicked

also make sure you have a full face lid and keep the visor shut as none of these security items will help when the person who wants your scooter for his next crime throws acid at you

always park next to a scooter with less locks and you may be ok

sorry if this sounds harsh but that's the way it is in London at the moment
UTC

Primavera

Primavera
UTC quote
Well I look forward to seeing her and finding out what you name her.

Super nervous/excited about picking up Aurora today...She's so much more responsive than Pearl.

I haven't thought about getting a helmet lock. I tend to carry it or leave it in the top box, so might be alright. I do think I'll replace my helmet soon though.

I'm hopeful that having 2 or 3 locks to get through whenever I park her up in public is enough deterrent![/quote]

How did it go? Amazing, I bet! Happy for you and jealous. Was hoping really hard that we'd get the call for a Saturday pickup, cue the sad music. Know it's better we didn't since I only have the U lock, thus yet, but...I'm on pins and needles. Wondering if I actually ordered the "smaller" lock because it is HUGE! LOLOLOL. Expected it was large, but this is laughably big. Wish there was a picture of the postman handing it over. Put it on the scale, it's 6lbs/2.72kg.

Went with the porter racks instead of the top case. Truth is the helmet lock is the weakest defense, so will probably carry the helmet if I'm worried it will walk. We talked about getting both and switching as needed, but didn't pull the trigger. Ordered a couple of crates for the racks. The scooter is going to be quite girly, which I am NOT, so it's interesting to see how it's unfolding. Most of my use will be puttering around town or nearby towns for errands; can't go on the autobahn.

Love that you already got the chain! Do you like it? Do you need the pinch pin? Thought about ordering it and after seeing you did I thought "uh oh, maybe should have put it in the cart too". Post some pictures!
OP
@chanpagne avatar
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
@chanpagne avatar
UTC quote
Okay, some helpful comments, some not so much (I'm not quite ready to leave the city I've lived in since birth).

And before anyone comments about the D lock being on the front wheel - it's around the fork!

Just a reminder - at home it's literally on the pavement outside my window. At work I have access to a secure underground car park.

The D lock with tests has only been removed with a grinder, apparently the chain I have is the same (I'll hear this inside my flat). When I'm on the road (without something to attach chain to) this means they can pick it up and put it in a van but then those are the thieves I can't do much about.

Attached are images of Aurora when parked up at home. On a random note, talking to my neighbour who owns a Staffordshire terrier - he always walks his dog outside our block when I'm away and he thinks he hears someone slowing down to look at my bike! So, very nice neighbour.

While she's only been with me just short of a week, I've been to the local Asda & Lidl with the D lock & alarmed disc lock. As well as Camberwell, Shepherds Bush & Southend. So far extremely good.

At home, I thread the alarmed disc lock cable & the D lock through the holes in the cover, so if someone even wants to lift the cover they're going to disturb the alarm. She sits right outside my windows, so the minute I hear anything I'm looking through the window - and yes I'm that nosy neighbour on the ground floor with the constantly swishing curtains.

The walls directly behind the top box are mine!
OP
@chanpagne avatar
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
@chanpagne avatar
UTC quote
mnox1 wrote:
How did it go? Amazing, I bet! Happy for you and jealous. Was hoping really hard that we'd get the call for a Saturday pickup, cue the sad music. Know it's better we didn't since I only have the U lock, thus yet, but...I'm on pins and needles. Wondering if I actually ordered the "smaller" lock because it is HUGE! LOLOLOL. Expected it was large, but this is laughably big. Wish there was a picture of the postman handing it over. Put it on the scale, it's 6lbs/2.72kg.

Went with the porter racks instead of the top case. Truth is the helmet lock is the weakest defense, so will probably carry the helmet if I'm worried it will walk. We talked about getting both and switching as needed, but didn't pull the trigger. Ordered a couple of crates for the racks. The scooter is going to be quite girly, which I am NOT, so it's interesting to see how it's unfolding. Most of my use will be puttering around town or nearby towns for errands; can't go on the autobahn.

Love that you already got the chain! Do you like it? Do you need the pinch pin? Thought about ordering it and after seeing you did I thought "uh oh, maybe should have put it in the cart too". Post some pictures!
Pics in post above!

My chain is really heavy too. Once I decided on the D lock/chain combo I decided to forgo the anti pinch pin idea. She's about as secure as I can make her at home and inaccessible at work.

My main problems are when I'm away from either of these locations. Going food shopping I need as much space as possible so it's not going to be feasible to carry everything and most London bays don't have the ground anchor to use the chain when I'm visiting friends.

Has yours arrived yet?!
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC quote
Chanpagne wrote:
Okay, some helpful comments, some not so much (I'm not quite ready to leave the city I've lived in since birth).

And before anyone comments about the D lock being on the front wheel - it's around the fork!

Just a reminder - at home it's literally on the pavement outside my window. At work I have access to a secure underground car park.

The D lock with tests has only been removed with a grinder, apparently the chain I have is the same (I'll hear this inside my flat). When I'm on the road (without something to attach chain to) this means they can pick it up and put it in a van but then those are the thieves I can't do much about.

Attached are images of Aurora when parked up at home. On a random note, talking to my neighbour who owns a Staffordshire terrier - he always walks his dog outside our block when I'm away and he thinks he hears someone slowing down to look at my bike! So, very nice neighbour.

While she's only been with me just short of a week, I've been to the local Asda & Lidl with the D lock & alarmed disc lock. As well as Camberwell, Shepherds Bush & Southend. So far extremely good.

At home, I thread the alarmed disc lock cable & the D lock through the holes in the cover, so if someone even wants to lift the cover they're going to disturb the alarm. She sits right outside my windows, so the minute I hear anything I'm looking through the window - and yes I'm that nosy neighbour on the ground floor with the constantly swishing curtains.

The walls directly behind the top box are mine!
Looking good! Now to see if it all "works." Hopefully as long as you own the scoot.
OP
@chanpagne avatar
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
@chanpagne avatar
UTC quote
Jet Peddler wrote:
Looking good! Now to see if it all "works." Hopefully as long as you own the scoot.
Thank you. My fingers are crossed.
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC quote
What's the significance of the sticker on the legshield?

Curious.
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT
UTC quote
Jet Peddler wrote:

Curious.
The big "L" is for Learner.
It's in the process of attaining a license for motorcycle.
Along the lines of some bumper stickers I have seen "Please be patient, new driver".
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC quote
Madison Sully wrote:
Jet Peddler wrote:

Curious.
Along the lines of some bumper stickers I have seen "Please be patient, new driver".
I would love to see that in the US.

Couldn't you just imagine a new Harley rider with an "I'm a newbie" sticker on his/her new ride?
@johnymoore avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa PX 177 Settantesimo, Vespa GTS Super 300 HPE, Triumph Bobber Gold Line

Molto Verboso
@johnymoore avatar
Vespa PX 177 Settantesimo, Vespa GTS Super 300 HPE, Triumph Bobber Gold Line
UTC quote
Madison Sully wrote:
Jet Peddler wrote:

Curious.
Well it does not necessarily mean a new rider. Some people ride with them for many years. Mainly as it costs a crazy amount to get a license that lets you ride above 125cc.
OP
@chanpagne avatar
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
@chanpagne avatar
UTC quote
johnymoore wrote:
Madison Sully wrote:
Jet Peddler wrote:

Curious.
Well it does not necessarily mean a new rider. Some people ride with them for many years. Mainly as it costs a crazy amount to get a license that lets you ride above 125cc.
Yeah, it costs more or less the same as getting a car license! As it's largely for getting me around and I don't need to carry passengers (can't carry pillion on an.L plate), I don't think I'll ever get a full license.

I've been riding 3 years this year and riding in the city you don't actually need anything bigger than a 50cc when you look at all the speed restrictions!
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
You've done pretty well with the security! for top marks you'd want to secure the rear wheel with the chain and leave the lock on the front wheel but I think your set up will put off most folk.
Chanpagne wrote:
you don't actually need anything bigger than a 50cc when you look at all the speed restrictions!
there are speed restrictions?
OP
@chanpagne avatar
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
@chanpagne avatar
UTC quote
robinm wrote:
You've done pretty well with the security! for top marks you'd want to secure the rear wheel with the chain and leave the lock on the front wheel but I think your set up will put off most folk.
Chanpagne wrote:
you don't actually need anything bigger than a 50cc when you look at all the speed restrictions!
there are speed restrictions?
Heh, are you admitting you don't adhere to them? Or maybe you never noticed you'd twisted the throttle back that much ...Or the last time I saw an officer it was ohhh....I thought my speedo was innacurate, it's such an old scoot...!

I haven't figured out how to put it on the rear wheel without potentially burning myself! At some point though I'm thinking about investing in the bigger chain for the rear with the anti pinch pin & squire lock. Problem being, it currently takes me 5-10 minutes to remove it all (have to make sure there are no spiders!!)!
@ashbrook avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Vespa GTS Kymco AK550

Ossessionato
@ashbrook avatar
Vespa GTS Kymco AK550
UTC quote
More protection
One more thing I have added are locking wheel nuts especially on the front wheel. Some crooks have been known to bring a spare front wheel with them.
@nightwing avatar
UTC

Contributor
2007 LX 150 (memories)

Contributor
@nightwing avatar
2007 LX 150 (memories)
UTC quote
You could also install a hidden tracking device that would allow your scooter to be traced and located, should some punk succeed in grabbing it.

https://youngchoppers.com/10-best-motorcycle-tracking-devices-reviewed-compared/
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC quote
Something tells me we should all be putting money in a pool... 8)

Just kidding - hope all works.
UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
Jet Peddler wrote:
Something tells me we should all be putting money in a pool... 8)

Just kidding - hope all works.
I'm glad I'm not the only negative one who checks the new posts in this thread peeking thru one eye, thinking I'm going to see "Well, that didn't take long, it happened!"
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0356s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0124s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]