OP
UTC

1980 Vespa P200e

1980 Vespa P200e
UTC quote
So my p200e wont stop revving SUPER high at idle. Idle screw and mix screw have no effect at all. Throttle cable and slide are fine. I'm pretty sure I have an air leak. Locating the leak and taking apart the engine is beyond my abilities so I'm gonna have to take it to the doctor is this an expensive fix? Am I gonna go broke getting this bastard healthy again?
@rowdyc avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GL, PK, PE200 with hack, Sears Rust Badge

Molto Verboso
@rowdyc avatar
UTC quote
At least look at some things before you take it to a shop. If you can turn a wrench you can eventually (????) fix it. It's not a Tesla. It's a two stroke scooter with 50 year old technology. There are tons of info on the web that you can do yourself before taking it to a shop. This forum can help you tackle a lot of problems. Take it after all options are exhausted.

A shop usually charges by the hour ($50-$100). I don't really trust anyone that works by the hour without my supervision. I've analyzed production cost for decades and labor cost is the some very iffy shit. Most shops don't have standards like a auto shop that have a set time for each repair (shock change takes 2 hours at a rate of $75 an hour cost $150 plus parts or $75 for diagnostics).

See if your carb is loose and tighten the two nuts that hold it down. You may need to tighten the bolt under the carb.
See if the nuts on the engine head are loose and tighten them just for good measure.

Report back and someone will help you as you go along.

Good luck!!!
@cangurik avatar
UTC

Lurker
Vespa PX 125E Elestart(1996) Vespa T5 (1988)

Lurker
@cangurik avatar
Vespa PX 125E Elestart(1996) Vespa T5 (1988)
UTC quote
Try a new sparkplug.
OP
UTC

1980 Vespa P200e

1980 Vespa P200e
UTC quote
I had to take off the adjuster screw on the throttle cable to make it longer so my slide would not be halfway open due to my cable being too short. The hole in which the cable goes through to the carb box is not air tight right now I suppose. The cable just goes through the hole loose now? Could this cause the high revs?
@rowdyc avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@rowdyc avatar
UTC quote
NashvilleThom wrote:
I had to take off the adjuster screw on the throttle cable to make it longer so my slide would not be halfway open due to my cable being too short. The hole in which the cable goes through to the carb box is not air tight right now I suppose. The cable just goes through the hole loose now? Could this cause the high revs?
Nope. The carb box does not need to be air tight.
Did it rev high before fixing the throttle cable?

I sent you a PM.
@sdjohn avatar
UTC

Johnny Two Tone
'15 GTS300, '86 PX125EFL, '66 VBB, '01 ET4

Johnny Two Tone
@sdjohn avatar
'15 GTS300, '86 PX125EFL, '66 VBB, '01 ET4
UTC quote
Find the local scooterists. Buy them beer. They will help. Here's my 10 second research effort, which shows both a Stella and a P series, so they must have a few vintage people involved at least:

https://www.facebook.com/scootnashville/
OP
UTC

1980 Vespa P200e

1980 Vespa P200e
UTC quote
Thanks guys! It did rev super high before the throttle cable fix. Like I'm talking "holy shit I need to turn this thing off before it explodes" fast. But I lengthened the cable and the slide closed and now its like "ok, it's fast but I could probably ride it to a shop before it explodes" fast. The air leak is the only thing that makes sense to me because it was running fine until someone knocked it over and I didn't ride it for a month. The idle screw always worked in the past to fix any idle issues but now it doesn't make any difference.
OP
UTC

1980 Vespa P200e

1980 Vespa P200e
UTC quote
Could gunk or debris in the fuel line cause it to be super lean?
@mjrally avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
73 & 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 06 PX150, 59 Ser 2, 65 Silver Special, 90 V5N 50, 2015 HD Road Glide Special

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@mjrally avatar
73 & 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 06 PX150, 59 Ser 2, 65 Silver Special, 90 V5N 50, 2015 HD Road Glide Special
UTC quote
With a P200 most of the air leaks ive seen have been the carb box to engine case junction. Underneath the carb is one screw that holds the whole box onto the engine. That loosens up and causes that screaming youre talking about. Maybe 10 minutes start to finish to do it (thats being real generous since youre new).

Unscrew the top of the air box, remove the air filter, hold open the throttle and look down the carb body (you'll see the crankshaft). Push the kickstarter while you look down the carb until you see the crankshaft web close off your view. (Thats so you cant drop anything down into the engine).

Then get a 11mm socket and unscrew the two nuts holding the carb down. Lift the carb up and disconnect the slide hook and choke cable.

Then jiggle the box. If it wiggles, that could be your air leak source. Lift up the paper gasket thats under the carb and then tighten the one screw tight. Then reinstall the carb and reverse the above steps.

FYI Everything should be hand tight. Dont go crazy with a wrench and put your shoulder into it or you'll do damage
OP
UTC

1980 Vespa P200e

1980 Vespa P200e
UTC quote
Thanks for the info bud, that will be my project in the morning. Other than the carb being loose, are there any other places I can check for a common leak source that is relatively easy to fix?
@mjrally avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@mjrally avatar
UTC quote
NashvilleThom wrote:
Thanks for the info bud, that will be my project in the morning. Other than the carb being loose, are there any other places I can check for a common leak source that is relatively easy to fix?
Flywheel side seal is another easy fix, so long as you have a flywheel holding & extractor tool.
OP
UTC

1980 Vespa P200e

1980 Vespa P200e
UTC quote
Unfortunately I only have your basic tool box tools. When my scoot was knocked over it fell on the kick start side. It ran fine before this. Is it possible that I bent the kick start or something around there and is causing the leak? After this thing is fixed I'm going on a studying and tool buying rampage. I was told when I bought this thing('80 p200e) from the previous owner that "if your not a gear head now, you will be soon son" he was too right.
@mjrally avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@mjrally avatar
UTC quote
Nah. If the kick starter was bent it'd leak gear oil. Your basic tools will be enough for the air box tightening but the flywheel you can tackle later.

Check out vespamaintenance.com for walkthroughs and tool tips. Until then, get your hands dirty and report back.
@scoot109 avatar
UTC

Hooked
1980 P200E

Hooked
@scoot109 avatar
1980 P200E
UTC quote
This probably isn't the issue, but at one point my P200 started revving high, and I found it was the air bellows (big black accordion tube that connects between the carb and the body) that had come loose. I was able to adjust the idle to bring it down before I discovered the source though.

Still, worth checking I suppose?
@puredrivensnow avatar
UTC

Addicted
1974VLB 1979VSX 1974V9A

Addicted
@puredrivensnow avatar
1974VLB 1979VSX 1974V9A
UTC quote
Scoot109 wrote:
This probably isn't the issue, but at one point my P200 started revving high, and I found it was the air bellows (big black accordion tube that connects between the carb and the body) that had come loose. I was able to adjust the idle to bring it down before I discovered the source though.

Still, worth checking I suppose?
This is probably not the issue because a loose air bellow would not cause a noticeable change in your idle. The bellow is just a passage way it does not meter air or fuel.
@scoot109 avatar
UTC

Hooked
1980 P200E

Hooked
@scoot109 avatar
1980 P200E
UTC quote
It did make a huge difference in my idle when one end had popped off. Motor was revving really high.
@bobo avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
'70 Super 150, Medley 150S, '23 Ducati Monster SP

Ossessionato
@bobo avatar
'70 Super 150, Medley 150S, '23 Ducati Monster SP
UTC quote
MJRally wrote:
FYI Everything should be hand tight. Dont go crazy with a wrench and put your shoulder into it or you'll do damage
Just wanted to back this up. Very easy to strip bolts on these motors.
@goslash27 avatar
UTC

Addicted
Viet-bodge

Addicted
@goslash27 avatar
Viet-bodge
UTC quote
All,
The OP posted another thread regarding this problem. It was (and IMO still is) the throttle cable.

Best,
-Slashy
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0164s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0035s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]