OP
UTC

LX50

LX50
UTC quote
Hey folks. I'll keep it brief just now so I can get some testing done and get back with some results.

I seem to have twisted my brain in knots trying to figure out what the issue is here. I'm not getting 14 volts at the battery with the bike running.

Battery is fully charged. (I'm very familiar with batteries and charging so no need to go there).

The wiki on the forum (Diagnosing Charging System Problems) doesn't match the wire colours on the bike. Can some kind person have a quick look at the attached diagram and see which wires I should test.

many, many, many thanks in advance!

p.s. With bike running I am getting >25v AC out of the Yellow ( 8 ) and Grey/Blue (2) wires. Only getting about 3v from blue wire and about 1.5v at lights. This is the same with the bike started with battery connected or not.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Can you be more specific about the voltages please, mentioning whether AC or DC for each?

If you're only getting 1.5V AC at pin 1 for the headlight etc, then your regulator has given up its smoke (it should be 12-14V AC) - likewise if you've only got 3V DC out of pin 8.
OP
UTC

LX50

LX50
UTC quote
Ha! I was just about to post that

I was just wondering if I should check if the lights were AC or DC. Behold - 12v AC!! I've clearly a lot to learn about bike electrics!!

I couldn't figure out why they were so bright with such low 'DC' voltage

Pin 8 and Pin 2 are >25v AC

The 3v is from the blue wire that comes from the stator going to the battery via the key switch
@pinkscooter avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 250ie Super, Italjet Velocifero, Scarabeo 150, S50, ET4, ET2

Addicted
@pinkscooter avatar
GTS 250ie Super, Italjet Velocifero, Scarabeo 150, S50, ET4, ET2
UTC quote
At what RPM are you getting the 25VAC on Pin 8and 2? Let us know what it is at 4000rpm.
OP
UTC

LX50

LX50
UTC quote
Quite low rpm - no rev counter so don't know exactly...

I don't really understand the charging circuit. Why is there a 12v supply going to the stator. It must be going in that direction as there's no diode in place to stop it?
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
⚠️ Last edited by shuggy33 on UTC; edited 1 time
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
The blue wire should show 12-14V DC - it's meant to be connected directly to the battery via the 7.5A fuse. If it's disconnected then you'll get all sorts of funny readings, the regulator needs to have that feed via the stator to pin 8.
OP
UTC

LX50

LX50
UTC quote
Everything is connected. The bike has sat for years - only has 2000kms on the clock!

The blue wire shows continuity through the coil to pin 8 and back to the battery with the fuse in place.
OP
UTC

LX50

LX50
UTC quote
Can we have a poll on who thinks the 'good' regulator is actually as bad as the first one? Laughing emoticon
OP
UTC

LX50

LX50
UTC quote
Still trying to figure out what's good or bad.

When running with no battery the 'dashboard' lights are all flickering. The fuel and oil lights come on with the brake lever.

All in all I'm totally confused about what I should be testing - the stator or the regulator.

Don't know the probability of two regulators showing exactly the same symptoms?
OP
UTC

LX50

LX50
UTC quote
oh well - just ordered another regulator. Hope that's no a waste of time and money...
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
shuggy33 wrote:
Still trying to figure out what's good or bad.

When running with no battery the 'dashboard' lights are all flickering. The fuel and oil lights come on with the brake lever.

All in all I'm totally confused about what I should be testing - the stator or the regulator.

Don't know the probability of two regulators showing exactly the same symptoms?
If you run with no battery you *will* blow your headlight bulb - there will be no regulation of the high currents and voltages available on the AC side.

You may also destroy the turn signal pulse generator in the regulator - but that's unimportant if you're getting a new regulator, which is probably the duff part anyway.
OP
UTC

LX50

LX50
UTC quote
Thanks again for the reply. It's all new to me but keen to learn. I'm coming from cars where there's always plenty of power on tap form a huge alternator - not a tiny stator.

SO even a dead(ish) battery is better than no battery?

Out of interest - does the battery charge at idle or is the recharge circuit not up to it? I guess it's not if it's maxing out at 1-2amps. The 12w brake light will eat that if sitting at idle with brake on.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
shuggy33 wrote:
SO even a dead(ish) battery is better than no battery?
Yes.
Quote:
Out of interest - does the battery charge at idle or is the recharge circuit not up to it? I guess it's not if it's maxing out at 1-2amps. The 12w brake light will eat that if sitting at idle with brake on.
Very little (if any) charge gets into the battery at idle on these engines, even with no extra load such as the brake light. So if your voltage measurements were at idle, that might account for not seeing any battery charging. You need to run the engine fast enough that the headlight brightens up from its normal dimness at idle.
OP
UTC

LX50

LX50
UTC quote
This does go some way to explaining the issues.

I've been revving the engine while holding the front brake - in case it came off the stand at full revs.

There goes almost 2 amps (and associated voltage) right away. Battery is on charge so will try it later without brake on. I'm a bit less despondent now... Laughing emoticon
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0187s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0123s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]