OP
@expaladin avatar
UTC

2006 LX150

@expaladin avatar
2006 LX150
UTC quote
Was tightening down the front fender crash guard the other day, and trying to locate the source of the mystery front end noise (still haven't found it), when I noticed s crack in the transmission housing cover.

Either the previous owners did it and didn't tell me, it I did it one of the two times I tried to use the kickstarter (before I knew that the best approach is to just never use it) and didn't notice it until now. Which is weird, bc once I noticed it, it seems to be all I can see now...

Advice? Do I need to fix it, or live with it? Is it dangerous to ride? Where do I get a new one? Is it an expensive repair? Can I do it myself?

Thank you.

Bummed out in Ohio,

Ex.
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT
UTC quote
Post a picture, otherwise, well I can't say..
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

World Traveler
@judy avatar
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa
UTC quote
I'm betting that the prvious owner tried to use the kickstarter. If you don't do it right it will crack the tranny cover. Since i've never done it i can't say if it's visible or not. Scooterpartsco.com has everything one needs. Try there first.
OP
@expaladin avatar
UTC

2006 LX150

@expaladin avatar
2006 LX150
UTC quote
Oh, it's visible. From side and bottom.
Side view
Side view
Bottom view
Bottom view
@safis avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1979 P150X, 1983 P200E, 1987 PK125XL Elestart, 1988 T5, 1995 PX200E, 2011 Yamaha Fazer 600 S2

Ossessionato
@safis avatar
1979 P150X, 1983 P200E, 1987 PK125XL Elestart, 1988 T5, 1995 PX200E, 2011 Yamaha Fazer 600 S2
UTC quote
You should change it sooner or later. The cover helps the overall structural integrity of the engine. Combined with the engine half, they form the swingarm that takes all the "beating" while riding. And if it was me, I would disable the kickstarter. It was basically, always useless, that's why Piaggio ditched it...
OP
@expaladin avatar
UTC

2006 LX150

@expaladin avatar
2006 LX150
UTC quote
Thank you everyone. Very frustrating. Mainly upset with myself for not knowing enough about what to look for when I bought the LX a year ago, if it was the previous owners who did it. Also, if it was, frustrated with them for lying about the scooter's condition; they made a point of saying that it had never been dropped, but there's a crack on the ball on the end of the left brake lever, and the left mirror keeps getting loose because it looks like it needs a new threaded stalk. It's if wasn't them, frustrated with myself for trying to use the kickstarter on two occasions where it wouldn't have worked anyways -- one when I first bought it and the battery died and just needed to be recharged, and then when I stalled out bc my fuel vacuum tube was disconnected. Grrrrrrrrrrr!

So, will this cover just list off when I remove the screws, be or is there some crazy transmission mechanism right beneath it that will pop out in hundreds of pieces and it'll never run again?
⚠️ Last edited by Expaladin on UTC; edited 1 time
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
For now - JBweld (applied on cleaned surfaces internally). The transmission case is not structural, except for the driven axle bearing. If that is still adequately supported, all good for the time being.

When funds permit, replace.
UTC

Ossessionato
2018 GTS Super

Ossessionato
2018 GTS Super
UTC quote
Expaladin wrote:
Where do I get a new one?
$$$ new from Vespa, ~$275 if you want to keep the kickstarter, $185 without. Used on ebay, any ET4 or early 150 LX will work if you want the starter, late 150 LX, S, or 200 GT if you lose the starter.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0183s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0105s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]