OP
UTC

LX50

LX50
UTC quote
Can someone have a quick look at the attached diagram and explain something to me.?..

Why is there 25v AC on one side of the stator ( pin 8 ) and 14v DC (or charging voltage) on the other side going to the battery?

In my confused head I would have thought that's what the regulator/rectifier was for - outputting DC. The stator is purely for generating AC.

Very confusing...
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
The output to the battery is half-wave rectified AC - the regulator senses battery voltage via pin 5, and limits the current to prevent the battery going over 14.4V. The battery can be thought of as a *huge* capacitor, smoothing the half-wave rectified AC. It looks odd because the rectifier and regulation is done on the ground (battery negative) side instead of the more conventional layout.

<quick> This site shows it pretty well:

http://www.vespamaintenance.com/elec/charger/index.html (look at the later P200).
OP
UTC

LX50

LX50
UTC quote
Whoosh! Straight over my head

I'll need to do some reading up to get my head around all this AC nonsense.

Many thanks for helping my sanity. Still can't figure out what's wrong with my charging though...
OP
UTC

LX50

LX50
UTC quote
Here's an easy one for you then

If I've got 25V AC at pin 8 and only 3v coming out the stator - what should I be looking at as the problem component?
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
shuggy33 wrote:
Here's an easy one for you then

If I've got 25V AC at pin 8 and only 3v coming out the stator - what should I be looking at as the problem component?
Is that 3V DC (wrt to battery -ve) on your 'blue' wire? It should be connected to the battery +ve via the fuse, regardless of the ignition switch setting. 3V AC may well be what it might read.

If no decent DC reading on the blue wire, what voltage do you have on pin 5? If battery +ve voltage, then your regulator has died. With the readings you have given, everything outside the regulator appears to be working just fine if that 3V blue wire reading was AC not DC.

Regulators do die, it's not uncommon.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0146s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0058s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]