OP
@rob98801 avatar
UTC

Addicted
85 Vepsa PX150E with sidecar, 80 P200 with sidecar, 96 Goldwing with Hannigan Sidecar, LR87aj5, LR91aj3

Addicted
@rob98801 avatar
85 Vepsa PX150E with sidecar, 80 P200 with sidecar, 96 Goldwing with Hannigan Sidecar, LR87aj5, LR91aj3
UTC quote
my P200 is not charging. With 24 volts AC into the regulator I am reading only battery voltage at the output. This after replacing the regulator with 2 new ones. In both cases the same results.

I let the battery run down to 11 volts and with 24 vac into the regulator the output still reads battery voltage only (11 volts).

Suggestions?
@shoprat75 avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
1980 P200e

Enthusiast
@shoprat75 avatar
1980 P200e
UTC quote
Maybe somewhat helpful. I restored a 1980 P200e, had the stator rebuilt, and bought a new regulator. I have measured voltage from stator and it appears I'm peaking at 35v. If I measure battery voltage while running I peak at about 11.7v. I tried the original regulator with about the same results. I use the bike locally on short trips so my solution was to go to HarborFreight and buy a battery float charge for $10. I ran a couple of wires off the battery so I can hook up the charger without having to remove the cowl.
OP
@rob98801 avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@rob98801 avatar
UTC quote
shoprat75 wrote:
Maybe somewhat helpful. I restored a 1980 P200e, had the stator rebuilt, and bought a new regulator. I have measured voltage from stator and it appears I'm peaking at 35v. If I measure battery voltage while running I peak at about 11.7v. I tried the original regulator with about the same results. I use the bike locally on short trips so my solution was to go to HarborFreight and buy a battery float charge for $10. I ran a couple of wires off the battery so I can hook up the charger without having to remove the cowl.
Yep< I did the same now Trying to fix the problem.
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
Do you have a 4 wire regulator or 5 wire?
OP
@rob98801 avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@rob98801 avatar
UTC quote
blackbart wrote:
Do you have a 4 wire regulator or 5 wire?
5 wire
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
The regulator must have battery voltage present on the B+ (gray wire) in order to work. That voltage should appear and disappear turning the key switch on and off.

One test lead on ground, the other on the gray wire terminal.

The battery must be verified as good. Charging with a charger first helps. The charging system on a P is so chickenplop that if you have a weak or damaged battery, it can't raise the voltage to acceptable levels.

Verify both those first.

A good battery will typically flash the turn signals, blow the horn, and burn the tail light without the engine running.
@shoprat75 avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
1980 P200e

Enthusiast
@shoprat75 avatar
1980 P200e
UTC quote
blackbart wrote:
The regulator must have battery voltage present on the B+ (gray wire) in order to work. That voltage should appear and disappear turning the key switch on and off.

One test lead on ground, the other on the gray wire terminal.

The battery must be verified as good. Charging with a charger first helps. The charging system on a P is so chickenplop that if you have a weak or damaged battery, it can't raise the voltage to acceptable levels.

Verify both those first.

A good battery will typically flash the turn signals, blow the horn, and burn the tail light without the engine running.
This was helpful. I measured 12.05 volts not running and peaked 12.18 at high rev. Probably as good as it gets.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0095s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0015s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]