OP
@en82pg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2010 PIAGGIO BV 500ie Tourer
Joined: UTC
Posts: 4644
Location: Lakeshore, ON, CANADA-Capestang,FR
 
Ossessionato
@en82pg avatar
2010 PIAGGIO BV 500ie Tourer
Joined: UTC
Posts: 4644
Location: Lakeshore, ON, CANADA-Capestang,FR
UTC quote
Of late, I have noted a fair increase in the number of scooters in my area.

I've seen three Burgman 400's, one ridden by a gal'
The trio seem to ride together. Another couple were on Sym City Coms and two other guys were on Sym H200 EVO's. I have also noted several Vespas.

Unfortunately I was caged every time I noticed them, so did not know year and where purchased, or whether they were close by locals or from out in the county.
I recognized them on several occasions and assumed they were from my general area.. Nice to see some interest being shown for PTW's.
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8508
Location: Toronto
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8508
Location: Toronto
UTC quote
That's more Maxi Scoots than I see downtown. I see the occasional Burgman but it's very rare and one other C650 on 2 years. Lots and lots of Vespa's though and plenty of Vino's etc.
OP
@en82pg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2010 PIAGGIO BV 500ie Tourer
Joined: UTC
Posts: 4644
Location: Lakeshore, ON, CANADA-Capestang,FR
 
Ossessionato
@en82pg avatar
2010 PIAGGIO BV 500ie Tourer
Joined: UTC
Posts: 4644
Location: Lakeshore, ON, CANADA-Capestang,FR
UTC quote
Harbinger wrote:
That's more Maxi Scoots than I see downtown. I see the occasional Burgman but it's very rare and one other C650 on 2 years. Lots and lots of Vespa's though and plenty of Vino's etc.
Quite a difference from the boonies to the big city for the number of urban bikes.
@amateriat avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3924
Location: Asbury Park, NJ
 
Ossessionato
@amateriat avatar
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3924
Location: Asbury Park, NJ
UTC quote
Don't call it a comeback?
When I was coaxed into moving from the so-happening-it-really-ain't-happening NYC to kinda-sorta-happening Asbury Park, and then got myself a Vespa, it seemed for the first year that I was about the only person in these parts scooting. Then I noticed a Burgman parked on a regular basis outside the high school a few blocks down after school was out. Not long after that I occasionally came across someone on a coffee-colored GTV. Then, late last year, I was regularly seeing a young couple rolling on what looked like Buddy 125s.

This year, things have kinda-sorta exploded: I largely trace this to my old dealer in Neptune (Stumpy's) dropping Vespa/Piaggio from their lineup, and another dealer (indian of Monmouth, a good deal closer to me) picking the line up at roughly the same time, showing a lot more enthusiasm for the brand and benefitting from having a better location. Suddenly, Vespa is busting out all over, relatively speaking, to the point that we now have a real, gosh-darn scooter club happening. I was a a fairly happy camper without all this happening, but this does make my smile a bit wider.
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
'07 LX150 (Sold), '17 GTS300, '16 BV350, '15 EN650, '09 FXDF (sold). '15 FLSTN
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5664
Location: Home of the Alamo
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@jet_peddler avatar
'07 LX150 (Sold), '17 GTS300, '16 BV350, '15 EN650, '09 FXDF (sold). '15 FLSTN
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5664
Location: Home of the Alamo
UTC quote
amateriat wrote:
When I was coaxed into moving from the so-happening-it-really-ain't-happening NYC to kinda-sorta-happening Asbury Park, and then got myself a Vespa, it seemed for the first year that I was about the only person in these parts scooting. Then I noticed a Burgman parked on a regular basis outside the high school a few blocks down after school was out. Not long after that I occasionally came across someone on a coffee-colored GTV. Then, late last year, I was regularly seeing a young couple rolling on what looked like Buddy 125s.

This year, things have kinda-sorta exploded: I largely trace this to my old dealer in Neptune (Stumpy's) dropping Vespa/Piaggio from their lineup, and another dealer (indian of Monmouth, a good deal closer to me) picking the line up at roughly the same time, showing a lot more enthusiasm for the brand and benefitting from having a better location. Suddenly, Vespa is busting out all over, relatively speaking, to the point that we now have a real, gosh-darn scooter club happening. I was a a fairly happy camper without all this happening, but this does make my smile a bit wider.
Great story! I wish we could all tell one similar. Someday maybe?
UTC

Enthusiast
2012 LXV150
Joined: UTC
Posts: 60
Location: Toronto
 
Enthusiast
2012 LXV150
Joined: UTC
Posts: 60
Location: Toronto
UTC quote
I seem to notice more scooters this summer, but that could be because I ride one now. In my neighbourhood I've seen a number Vespas, a couple of Vinos and one Honda PCX.

Riding a Vespa beats a cage or public transit in this city.
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
'07 LX150 (Sold), '17 GTS300, '16 BV350, '15 EN650, '09 FXDF (sold). '15 FLSTN
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5664
Location: Home of the Alamo
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@jet_peddler avatar
'07 LX150 (Sold), '17 GTS300, '16 BV350, '15 EN650, '09 FXDF (sold). '15 FLSTN
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5664
Location: Home of the Alamo
UTC quote
So many more scooters running around Austin than San Antonio, especially the UT campus area. I'm a bug-eyed idiot when I go up for football games in the fall each year.

Now that I own scoots I'm MUCH more likely to notice them on the road.
@bob_copeland avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2022 Kymco AK 550
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3593
Location: Minneapolis USA
 
Ossessionato
@bob_copeland avatar
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2022 Kymco AK 550
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3593
Location: Minneapolis USA
UTC quote
Scooters On The Rise
An active local dealer does have a big impact. Most are buzzing around the
city of Minneapolis. One of our local dealers "Scooterville of MInneapolis" is selling Vespas and Genuine Buddies 50cc to 150cc. (other makes available)

My Maxi-Scooter Riding Group spends most of our rides out into the
surrounding countryside. Only motorcycles on the road out of the immediate urban area.

Bob Copeland
Frost Bite Falls Minnesota
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
BV400, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125
Joined: UTC
Posts: 4274
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
 
Ossessionato
@jkj-fz6 avatar
BV400, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125
Joined: UTC
Posts: 4274
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
UTC quote
Back to school
There are a couple of ads on craigslist today from students looking for mopeds. And I saw one in a pickup truck the other day, driver said he was going back to school.
@sacto_monkeyboy avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 Super
Joined: UTC
Posts: 998
Location: West Sacramento, CA
 
Addicted
@sacto_monkeyboy avatar
GTS 300 Super
Joined: UTC
Posts: 998
Location: West Sacramento, CA
UTC quote
It's reminding me of back when I bought my first Scooter 2006/07. Housing market on the rise, gas prices on the rise...basically expenses going up and people are looking into cheaper alternatives for transportation. (Not my motivation, never was. Just finally had the $$$ to be able to take the Motorcycle Safety Course, get my M class and gear to finally ride!)

I just hope a bubble isn't forming and it'll burst soon (Like it did back then!). Glad to see an increase in Scooters out there regardless of the reasons!
@amateriat avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3924
Location: Asbury Park, NJ
 
Ossessionato
@amateriat avatar
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3924
Location: Asbury Park, NJ
UTC quote
Sacto Monkeyboy wrote:
It's reminding me of back when I bought my first Scooter 2006/07. Housing market on the rise, gas prices on the rise...basically expenses going up and people are looking into cheaper alternatives for transportation. (Not my motivation, never was. Just finally had the $$$ to be able to take the Motorcycle Safety Course, get my M class and gear to finally ride!)

I just hope a bubble isn't forming and it'll burst soon (Like it did back then!). Glad to see an increase in Scooters out there regardless of the reasons!
Yep, been thinking about that as well: certain signs are familiar, of course, but not all. I bought the GTS because that's the way I want to get around most of the time, weather permitting (i.e. anything short of serious snow/ice), so this thing is far more than occasional plaything to me.
@seamus26 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1979 P200E (sold) / ZNEN Amore 150 (sold) / Genuine Buddy 170i / Genuine Stella 4T /Aprilia Sportcity One 50
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2456
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
 
Ossessionato
@seamus26 avatar
1979 P200E (sold) / ZNEN Amore 150 (sold) / Genuine Buddy 170i / Genuine Stella 4T /Aprilia Sportcity One 50
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2456
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
UTC quote
Let's just hope they don't catch on like they have in China ...

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
UTC

Banned
2009 GTS 250, 2013 Buddy 125, 2014 Triumph Bonneville
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2038
Location: North Jersey
 
Banned
2009 GTS 250, 2013 Buddy 125, 2014 Triumph Bonneville
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2038
Location: North Jersey
UTC quote
It may be tied to the improving economy since it's still mostly a recreational purchase for the USA.
Read an article in local paper yesterday where several boat dealers were commenting that the boat market is the best in at least 15 years, and a couple said it was maybe their best year ever. The demographic of buyers is 45-65 yrs. No millenials.

Since they say boat and motorcycle sales are the first to tank in a falling economy, it would be interesting to see if motorcycle sales are also rebounding.
@nautiker avatar
UTC

Addicted
'14 Piaggio BV 350
Joined: UTC
Posts: 994
Location: Seacoast New Hampshire (USA)
 
Addicted
@nautiker avatar
'14 Piaggio BV 350
Joined: UTC
Posts: 994
Location: Seacoast New Hampshire (USA)
UTC quote
Living in a beach community, I can say I've seen more scooters this year than any previous year. Mostly smaller Vespas and Chinese stock, but still... And the riders pretty much span the demographic scale, with quite a few young folks riding around town. I'm even seeing more on my rides through the countryside--not many wave, though...
UTC

Addicted
Joined: UTC
Posts: 816
 
Addicted
Joined: UTC
Posts: 816
UTC quote
Certain psfking areas here at u of f may have 50 to 100 scoots parked at one time. We are everywhere!!!
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8951
Location: Ashburn, Va. Home to the Internet
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8951
Location: Ashburn, Va. Home to the Internet
UTC quote
Vintage1 wrote:
It may be tied to the improving economy since it's still mostly a recreational purchase for the USA.
Read an article in local paper yesterday where several boat dealers were commenting that the boat market is the best in at least 15 years, and a couple said it was maybe their best year ever. The demographic of buyers is 45-65 yrs. No millenials.

Since they say boat and motorcycle sales are the first to tank in a falling economy, it would be interesting to see if motorcycle sales are also rebounding.
More jobs, less taxes is helping I think.
@amateriat avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3924
Location: Asbury Park, NJ
 
Ossessionato
@amateriat avatar
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3924
Location: Asbury Park, NJ
UTC quote
Meanwhile, back at my new dealer's...
A few interesting things have happened at Indian/Vespa/Royal Enfield of Monmouth.

For starters, you can cross Royal Enfield off their list of brand offerings: after selling off the last Himalaya (not too much of a job, it appears), they dropped the line and brought more Vespas 'n Piaggios in. Lots of 'em. Made he heart flutter just a bit when I walked in.

Next: Oh, the colors! including semi-matte bronze and cobalt blue Primaveras.

Speaking of Primavera: the cobalt ones are 2019. And, yes, it has the TFT dashboard.

Someone was asking about that blood-red GTS? They have one...at the moment.

And...in place of the Royal Enfield sign on the far wall, there's now a Piaggio Group sign representing not just Vespa and Piaggio, but Moto Guzzi and Aprilia. That's not just dropping a hint: they plan to pick up one of those two lines eventually, but they aren't in a hurry - they've got their hands pretty full between Vespa and Indian, and they want to do right between these two.

Can we party like it's 2006 yet?
The expanded showroom - all scoot, all the time.
The expanded showroom - all scoot, all the time.
Be sure to wear a flowered Primavera...
Be sure to wear a flowered Primavera...
Yes, *that* red GTS...
Yes, *that* red GTS...
...next to another Sei Gironi.
...next to another Sei Gironi.
Yes, the '19 Primas are here.
Yes, the '19 Primas are here.
They'll be putting it to a vote. I say Guzzi.
They'll be putting it to a vote. I say Guzzi.
The Bronze Age.
The Bronze Age.
⚠️ Last edited by amateriat on UTC; edited 2 times
UTC

Banned
2009 GTS 250, 2013 Buddy 125, 2014 Triumph Bonneville
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2038
Location: North Jersey
 
Banned
2009 GTS 250, 2013 Buddy 125, 2014 Triumph Bonneville
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2038
Location: North Jersey
UTC quote
That is fantastic news. I've seen more Indians and Vespas on the road lately, the dealership should do very very well. As if I needed another reason to visit this dealership you just gave me one!
@roaringtodd avatar
UTC

Hooked
'04 Stella 2T GB150 '15 Genuine Roughhouse 50 '17 Kawasaki Versys 650
Joined: UTC
Posts: 355
Location: Philadelphia
 
Hooked
@roaringtodd avatar
'04 Stella 2T GB150 '15 Genuine Roughhouse 50 '17 Kawasaki Versys 650
Joined: UTC
Posts: 355
Location: Philadelphia
UTC quote
Why'd they drop Royal Enfield?
@amateriat avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3924
Location: Asbury Park, NJ
 
Ossessionato
@amateriat avatar
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3924
Location: Asbury Park, NJ
UTC quote
RoaringTodd wrote:
Why'd they drop Royal Enfield?
Other than the Himalaya, they weren't doing too well with the line, whereas Vespa/Piaggio had been doing so well they had a hard time justifying the floor space RE was taking up. This also explains why they're taking their time in deciding what will be their new third line (fourth, if we're counting Vespa and Piaggio separately) will be - they don't want to be capricious in their decision-making.
⚠️ Last edited by amateriat on UTC; edited 1 time
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
'07 LX150 (Sold), '17 GTS300, '16 BV350, '15 EN650, '09 FXDF (sold). '15 FLSTN
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5664
Location: Home of the Alamo
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@jet_peddler avatar
'07 LX150 (Sold), '17 GTS300, '16 BV350, '15 EN650, '09 FXDF (sold). '15 FLSTN
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5664
Location: Home of the Alamo
UTC quote
amateriat wrote:
RoaringTodd wrote:
Why'd they drop Royal Enfield?
Other than the Himalaya, they weren't doing too well with the line, where I Vespa/Piaggio had been doing so well they had a hard time justifying the floor space RE was taking up. This also explains why they're taking their time in deciding what will be their new third line (fourth, if we're counting Vespa and Piaggio separately) will be - they don't want to be capricious in their decision-making.
I'll probably be branded as a heretic but I just can't get into Royal Enfield. I've never ridden one but the ones I've seen on the showroom floor look cheaply made and of lesser quality than many other available options. Maybe I'm missing something?

Anyhow, glad they brought in Vespa and Piaggio, irrespective of who they had to shed to make room.
@roaringtodd avatar
UTC

Hooked
'04 Stella 2T GB150 '15 Genuine Roughhouse 50 '17 Kawasaki Versys 650
Joined: UTC
Posts: 355
Location: Philadelphia
 
Hooked
@roaringtodd avatar
'04 Stella 2T GB150 '15 Genuine Roughhouse 50 '17 Kawasaki Versys 650
Joined: UTC
Posts: 355
Location: Philadelphia
UTC quote
for $4,500 what were you expecting?

This is where motorcycling needs to go FWIW - cheaper entry level motorcycles that appeal to people, and doesn't look all plasticity.

I am very curious as to the new twins, and how they perform. Had I not just bought a Kawasaki Versys 650 last year, I would've probably gotten the Himalayan.
UTC

Hooked
Joined: UTC
Posts: 474
 
Hooked
Joined: UTC
Posts: 474
UTC quote
Jet Peddler wrote:
amateriat wrote:
RoaringTodd wrote:
Why'd they drop Royal Enfield?
Other than the Himalaya, they weren't doing too well with the line, where I Vespa/Piaggio had been doing so well they had a hard time justifying the floor space RE was taking up. This also explains why they're taking their time in deciding what will be their new third line (fourth, if we're counting Vespa and Piaggio separately) will be - they don't want to be capricious in their decision-making.
I'll probably be branded as a heretic but I just can't get into Royal Enfield. I've never ridden one but the ones I've seen on the showroom floor look cheaply made and of lesser quality than many other available options. Maybe I'm missing something?

Anyhow, glad they brought in Vespa and Piaggio, irrespective of who they had to shed to make room.
I agree. I call them "Royal Junkfield". I have no issue with old designs and nostalgia, but regardless of cost nothing sours the ownership experience quite like a broken bike. They need to improve reliability. This was my same bitch with my Moto-Guzzi back in 2003. They are much better today and their sales reflect it, though numbers are still small.

There is cache is nostalgia, it just can't be a rolling piece of sh*t!
UTC

Ossessionato
2018 Vespa GTS 300 ABS- Bianco
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2208
Location: E. KY
 
Ossessionato
2018 Vespa GTS 300 ABS- Bianco
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2208
Location: E. KY
UTC quote
In my area I own the only scooter that's not a likercycle. If I see more it's probably a bad thing as it's likely to be yet another likercycle?
My closest powerports dealer has the Indian bikes but I've never seen one outside and owned by anyone and I did PT next door for some months so kept tabs on them for show floor entertainment. Kymco's are the same thing-just sit there on the floor. ATV's & UTV's, now there's the live action.
Even in my nearest city of over 300k population I rarely see a scooter and it's a university town, two actually. Most students there drive, UBER or ride a bicycle but more just walk. When I do see a scoot there, it's a Hispanic riding for work and a Chinese scoot.
Is that Chinese scoot picture above for real? Looks like a therapist could makes some money there?
@franknbrew avatar
UTC

Addicted
2006 LX 50
Joined: UTC
Posts: 528
Location: Warren MI
 
Addicted
@franknbrew avatar
2006 LX 50
Joined: UTC
Posts: 528
Location: Warren MI
UTC quote
I've put over 1,000 miles on my LX50 this summer and can count the Vespas I've seen on one hand. I doubt I've seen a dozen scooters of any kind on the road. I live northeast of Detroit and the closest Vespa dealer is over 30 miles away southwest of Detroit.
UTC

Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3766
Location: East Anglia, UK
 
Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3766
Location: East Anglia, UK
UTC quote
On the point about Royal Enfield quality, over this side of the pond we see lots of them. The quality is top notch as any inspection shows. The motors are strong, the handling and roadholding good, and reliability is first class. Just take a look at the modern video reviews on Youtube.

It's nice to see you guys have some expansion of the Vespa brand going on in some parts.
UTC

Banned
2009 GTS 250, 2013 Buddy 125, 2014 Triumph Bonneville
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2038
Location: North Jersey
 
Banned
2009 GTS 250, 2013 Buddy 125, 2014 Triumph Bonneville
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2038
Location: North Jersey
UTC quote
I would not agree that their quality is 'top notch'. I see them as going in the right direction and a lot better than they were, but still not that close to Japanese motorcycle quality.

You own a Honda, every time you hit that start button it starts, and you don't have out of the blue parts failures of any kind.
UTC

Ossessionato
2018 Vespa GTS 300 ABS- Bianco
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2208
Location: E. KY
 
Ossessionato
2018 Vespa GTS 300 ABS- Bianco
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2208
Location: E. KY
UTC quote
I have been wondering for many years why the Honda service was starving, now we know... Laughing emoticon
Royal Enfield technology is a combo of 1950's British bikes and the modern world? Laughing emoticon
@greg531 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
63 GL 150, 05 Typhoon, 09 Beo 200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1725
Location: Grand Pothole Rapids, Michigan
 
Molto Verboso
@greg531 avatar
63 GL 150, 05 Typhoon, 09 Beo 200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1725
Location: Grand Pothole Rapids, Michigan
UTC quote
It's been an up and down scooter scene here, in Grand Rapids, MI, on the west side of the state. There is a Vespa dealer here, but they don't stock too many. I heard from a fellow club member, that there has been a good Vespa selling season here from the salesman he talked to. I went to other towns in the area, and saw many scooters in Grand Haven. It seems that some towns, like Grand Rapids, have lower speed limits in the core, and others have high speed streets you can't avoid.... A lot of 50cc's, but a fair number of bigger ones. The Grom scene is big here, in fact they have a big ride for Saturday planned. A few years ago, when gas was $4, scooters were coming out of the woodwork, but most were Chinese. We do have a couple of those dealers here, and they tend to cater to the younger market for a first scoot, and if they stay in riding, a lot will buy a bigger scooter in a couple of years....That's what I did....
@seamus26 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1979 P200E (sold) / ZNEN Amore 150 (sold) / Genuine Buddy 170i / Genuine Stella 4T /Aprilia Sportcity One 50
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2456
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
 
Ossessionato
@seamus26 avatar
1979 P200E (sold) / ZNEN Amore 150 (sold) / Genuine Buddy 170i / Genuine Stella 4T /Aprilia Sportcity One 50
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2456
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
UTC quote
greg531 wrote:
It's been an up and down scooter scene here, in Grand Rapids, MI, on the west side of the state. There is a Vespa dealer here, but they don't stock too many. I heard from a fellow club member, that there has been a good Vespa selling season here from the salesman he talked to. I went to other towns in the area, and saw many scooters in Grand Haven. It seems that some towns, like Grand Rapids, have lower speed limits in the core, and others have high speed streets you can't avoid.... A lot of 50cc's, but a fair number of bigger ones. The Grom scene is big here, in fact they have a big ride for Saturday planned. A few years ago, when gas was $4, scooters were coming out of the woodwork, but most were Chinese. We do have a couple of those dealers here, and they tend to cater to the younger market for a first scoot, and if they stay in riding, a lot will buy a bigger scooter in a couple of years....That's what I did....
Jason at Grand Rapids Scooter is doing a great business. He's a 50cc dealer, but they've been super busy. The "other" dealer on that end of town ... let's just say I won't be back.

You're right about the speed limits. That's why I bought my 150. Some people think the 45 signs on 28th actually say 65. The state really should use a clearer font. I see a lot of scooters out on the road here. They're catching on, but in a state that only has so many "good" riding months the love isn't growing as quickly.

As far as the Metro Cruise this weekend, BEWARE! I contacted the event organizers to inform them that the have all kinds of construction planned for this Saturday on 28th Street. Traffic shift between Breton and Kalamazoo, and last night on my way home the eastbound west of Eastern Ave is coned up and down to one lane.

It's going to be a disaster.

Oh, and as far as the Chinese scoots go ... I just rolled over 7000 miles on mine last week. I made another slider swap in my Dr. Pulley kit and did a valve adjustment and the bike has never run so well. I love my P200E, but I love my ZNEN just as much.
UTC

Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3766
Location: East Anglia, UK
 
Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3766
Location: East Anglia, UK
UTC quote
Vintage1 wrote:
I would not agree that their quality is 'top notch'. I see them as going in the right direction and a lot better than they were, but still not that close to Japanese motorcycle quality.

You own a Honda, every time you hit that start button it starts, and you don't have out of the blue parts failures of any kind.
TBH most bikes youi buy you just press the starter and you know it's going to go fine. I can't think of a bad bike sold over this side of the pond.

But going back to Enfield, I ride with guys who bought new ones 2 and 3 years ago (500 classics), and ok, they only do around 8000 miles a year each on them but they are just fine. Used every day, no issues and the finish on them has stayed just fine. That's quite a feat over here in the UK where we have a huge amount of snow and salt on the roads for several months of they year. The technology in the bikes is right up to date, including the engine and it's fuel/ignition systems. Don't let the 'old design' fool you. And, having ridden one I can say it was a real pleasure to do so, plenty of power and quite smooth if you run them in right. But each to his or her own of course.
@oldschooot avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2018 LIBERTY 150S, 2013 Kymco LIKE200iLX
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2273
Location: Ohio
 
Ossessionato
@oldschooot avatar
2018 LIBERTY 150S, 2013 Kymco LIKE200iLX
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2273
Location: Ohio
UTC quote
I don't actually swoon when I see a scooter every couple of months around here....but I do get a little light headed.

I see maybe 3 or 4 a year. Rural SW Ohio.
O.S.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee
 

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com


All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.


[ Time: 0.0292s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0122s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]