OP
@jnlx150 avatar
UTC

2007 GTS 250

@jnlx150 avatar
2007 GTS 250
UTC quote
Greetings, all,

My 2007 GTS 250 with 28,000 miles on it is burning through the rear pads.

I went nearly 25,000 miles without having to change either the front or rear pads. At about 25,000, the rear were replaced by the local Vespa dealer. They did not last very long--maybe just over a year. The second time, they did not even last 1,500 miles/3 months. I had them replaced in the spring, and once again, they lasted 1,700 miles/3 months before they were metal on metal.

The mechanics carefully inspected the piston and brakes each time. Nothing is sticking.

I have not changed my riding or braking habits. In fact, I ride much less than I used to pre-25,000 miles. And I also seldom carry passenger whereas I used to haul passengers all the time pre-25,000.

I asked the shop to use the OEM brake pads this time to see what the results are. They are clueless and continue to try to pin it o me saying I must be riding the rear brakes too much.

Some things to note:

The front pads are still good and have never been replaced. The first time my rear pads went, I developed a habit of using the front brakes exclusively for awhile to avoid the scraping form the rear (until I could get it into the shop). So if anything, I ride the fronts much harder than the rear lately, but I truly feel I apply equal pressure on both levers.

The shop has replaced the pads a total of 3 times. The first two times, they screeched for a good two months before they finally were silent.

The rotor has been changed.

I just got them replaced today with the OEM pads. So perhaps this will all go away.

But just in case, I'm hoping someone our there has some answers for me.
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
BV400, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125

Ossessionato
@jkj-fz6 avatar
BV400, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125
UTC quote
When was the brake fluid last replaced?
OP
@jnlx150 avatar
UTC

2007 GTS 250

@jnlx150 avatar
2007 GTS 250
UTC quote
The fluid was replaced the first time the brakes were replaced around the 25K mark for sure. I'm not sure the shop has replaced the two times that followed that.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Both of us chew through rear brake pads in about 4,000 miles - but we tend to use some trail braking every time we we are riding curves 'progressively'.

I expect they'd last a bit longer if the rear rotors were replaced as well - this may be done at the next oil and pad change. Both GTS's have done ~40,000 miles.

But in less than 2,000 miles? Either something has 'stuck' (in the UK rusty retaining pins are the usual culprit) or cheapo fakes were installed. The UK has recently had a big shakedown on fake brake pads being sold online, usually for about 50-60% of the OEM price. Even a dealer might be caught out by that, let alone a home mechanic.
OP
@jnlx150 avatar
UTC

2007 GTS 250

@jnlx150 avatar
2007 GTS 250
UTC quote
jimc, thanks for sharing your experience and hazarding some possible explanations. That's comforting. I'd really like to think the pads they've been installing have been the issue. We shall see. It's just nice to get some possible reasons. My shop is not taking this seriously at all and I've been feeling frustrated.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
JNLX150 wrote:
jimc, thanks for sharing your experience and hazarding some possible explanations. That's comforting. I'd really like to think the pads they've been installing have been the issue. We shall see. It's just nice to get some possible reasons. My shop is not taking this seriously at all and I've been feeling frustrated.
Time to bite the bullet and replace consumables yourself. At least then you know the provenance of the parts. And save $hugebucks-per-hour labour charges.
OP
@jnlx150 avatar
UTC

2007 GTS 250

@jnlx150 avatar
2007 GTS 250
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
JNLX150 wrote:
Time to bite the bullet and replace consumables yourself. At least then you know the provenance of the parts. And save $hugebucks-per-hour labour charges.
I wrenched on my own bikes for the first 7 of the 10 years I owned them. I'm over it now. Def rather just pay someone to cuss and get dirty.
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
what brand pads did the shop use that they worn so fast? probably some knock off ones.

I use EBC's standard organics and they work just fine front and rear and last just fine. Also have used OEM when the customer request them and there again no issues.
OP
@jnlx150 avatar
UTC

2007 GTS 250

@jnlx150 avatar
2007 GTS 250
UTC quote
old as dirt wrote:
what brand pads did the shop use that they worn so fast? probably some knock off ones.

I use EBC's standard organics and they work just fine front and rear and last just fine. Also have used OEM when the customer request them and there again no issues.
They have been using EBCs.
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
JNLX150 wrote:
old as dirt wrote:

which ones as they make a couple different compounds? And are you sure they are real EBC's and they are just telling you that?
OP
@jnlx150 avatar
UTC

2007 GTS 250

@jnlx150 avatar
2007 GTS 250
UTC quote
old as dirt wrote:
JNLX150 wrote:
old as dirt wrote:

which ones as they make a couple different compounds? And are you sure they are real EBC's and they are just telling you that?
I spoke to the owner of the shop for the first time in 10 years of patronage. Bad pads was his best guess. He said if they were fake or defective, it would be important to find out and contact suppliers, etc. He never called me back. I called him back eventually, and like I said, he and his mechanics didn't seem bothered at all when I came back in with my bike. They were about to reinstall the same pads for the 3rd time. I stopped them and told them to put in a different brand (OEM). I don't know which EBS pads they use. The lead mechanic said something about how all pads use the same compound. The whole redundant experience is going to cause me to take my business elsewhere. That's for sure.
UTC

Hooked
carnaby 125

Hooked
carnaby 125
UTC quote
you are getting like ebc brake pads I tried goldfren and I had same issue since I gone with ebc organic pads not had a issue im still on current ones and ive done so for with them about 6000miles and still have life

I remember I had goldfren and lasted only 3month and if theres any other brands you never heard of don't bother

you can usually find out if they fake crap is if theres any writing on the backplate

if I was you is ask to see the pads that they are fitting and see if its says ebc on backplate with numbers etc

or after they fitted is go home and undo the caliper and check the pads unless your able to see any writing while its fitted to the caliper

maybe cheap crap fitted most likely makes you wonder if they fit them to peoples scooters when serviced so people will return to pay for new pads again

I never would take my scooter for a service at any garage as I wouldn't trust what oil or pads or bits they would fit so I do it all myself
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
JNLX150 wrote:
old as dirt wrote:
JNLX150 wrote:
old as dirt wrote:

I spoke to the owner of the shop for the first time in 10 years of patronage. Bad pads was his best guess. He said if they were fake or defective, it would be important to find out and contact suppliers, etc. He never called me back. I called him back eventually, and like I said, he and his mechanics didn't seem bothered at all when I came back in with my bike. They were about to reinstall the same pads for the 3rd time. I stopped them and told them to put in a different brand (OEM). I don't know which EBS pads they use. The lead mechanic said something about how all pads use the same compound. The whole redundant experience is going to cause me to take my business elsewhere. That's for sure.
well the lead mechanic is full of it. not all brake pads are the same. I suspect they used knock offs like ukguy said.
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
ukguy2k wrote:
you are getting like ebc brake pads I tried goldfren and I had same issue since I gone with ebc organic pads not had a issue im still on current ones and ive done so for with them about 6000miles and still have life

I remember I had goldfren and lasted only 3month and if theres any other brands you never heard of don't bother

you can usually find out if they fake crap is if theres any writing on the backplate

if I was you is ask to see the pads that they are fitting and see if its says ebc on backplate with numbers etc

or after they fitted is go home and undo the caliper and check the pads unless your able to see any writing while its fitted to the caliper

maybe cheap crap fitted most likely makes you wonder if they fit them to peoples scooters when serviced so people will return to pay for new pads again

I never would take my scooter for a service at any garage as I wouldn't trust what oil or pads or bits they would fit so I do it all myself
exactly
UTC

Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'

Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
UTC quote
No question about it JN, the pads the shop are fitting are not genuine and are fake parts.
@roadster avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Kymco AK550

Molto Verboso
@roadster avatar
Kymco AK550
UTC quote
Do the pads wear evenly or only on one side?
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150
UTC quote
If this is a Vespa Dealer and they are not using OEM parts without asking first, that is BS. You take it to the dealer so you get OEM parts installed.
I would let Vespa USA know what they are doing, dealership will get a talking too, Vespa is losing money.

If they ask to use aftermarkets parts that is one thing, but a Dealer should use OEM parts unless other is requested or not available, and then they should call and let you know first.
Worked in a GM dealership parts dept for 5 years and we would never pull BS like that. It was OEM or customer was told what we could get if not OEM..
@papa_smurf avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS250ie, ET4

Molto Verboso
@papa_smurf avatar
GTS250ie, ET4
UTC quote
sounds like air in the system somewhere holding pressure on the piston. Ive already had to remove the brake from the bike and roll it around to get all the air out.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0140s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0020s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]