Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
LX190 Friday afternoon special, Primavera, S50, too many pushbikes
UTC quote
Has anyone said "Driving a cage" yet?
@rrider avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)

Ossessionato
@rrider avatar
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
UTC quote
Been thinking about this, both while commuting with my car and riding with my bike.

Around here all comes to this: people are just too selfish. And some of them too stupid. There, glad I was able to show some light to this problem

Well, seriously - around here the nro 1 problem is the lack of safe distance between vehicles. As a result, a too typical small/medium accident is a multilple collision.

Now, to add a twist here - the situation remains the same, no matter if there's rain, blinding fog, or heavy snow fall. All that changes is the number of accidents

Ah yeah, and it's really nice to ride a 2-wheeler when you can virtually use the bumper of the car behind you as a back rest....
A nice winter day a few years ago. This was just practise - last winter they broke the record with a 70 car (!) multiple collision.
A nice winter day a few years ago. This was just practise - last winter they broke the record with a 70 car (!) multiple collision.
@syd avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS300 Super (Heinz) GTS250 Super (Bulger)

Ossessionato
@syd avatar
GTS300 Super (Heinz) GTS250 Super (Bulger)
UTC quote
When I lived in Massachusetts, we all thought Worcester drivers were the worst, inventing the term Masshole.

Then I lived in Arizona in the Phoenix area, and we all thought the "Winter Visitors" aka Snowbirds were the worst, driving their RVs to the grocery store and driving 10-20 under.

Then I purchased a vacation place in Prescott (Press-kit, if you ever get there). Everything mentioned before is there, every day.
@amateriat avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)

Ossessionato
@amateriat avatar
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)
UTC quote
Syd: "Worcester drivers were the worst?"

That deserves a prize.
@greg531 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
63 GL 150, 05 Typhoon, 09 Beo 200

Molto Verboso
@greg531 avatar
63 GL 150, 05 Typhoon, 09 Beo 200
UTC quote
In my town, the cars all want to pass you, even when you are on a 200cc scooter going 60 in a 40 mph zone....
What about the big lady???, that pulls left out of a driveway in front of me, without looking, to halfway into my lane, and stops. I stop, while hitting the horn, I then try to go around her, she then cuts me off again, completes the left turn in front of me, then stops, and gets out of her SUV, and starts yelling and cursing at me, because I wouldn't let her complete her turn... I tell her as she advances to me, she is going to kill someone someday, as I gun it out of there......
Lots of road rage around here, never get get off your scooter, and if they are tailgating, pull off the road, and let them by, if they are in that much of a hurry, better then, they hurting or kill you.... I had a guy going 15 mph, ahead of me, and he pulled over, I passed him, and he was so insulted that a scooter passed him, he pulled behind me, tailgated me to a foot from my fender. I pulled into a manned fire house, and he was pulling in behind me, and then went back to the road, when he realized he had witnesses....
I am always looking for the squeeze move. That's when the cage is in the other lane, and decides to go into your lane, while you are there, moving you to the curb. That happens at a couple of intersections, when you have to be in the particular lane to go straight. People do not know the rule of a white line around here, I guess they missed that day in drivers Ed....
Traffic in my city is way up, we gained 70,000 residents since 2010, and tempers are flaring, because of all the backups mostly around rush hour.... and they are not used to it being that bad.....
@seamus26 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1979 P200E (sold) / ZNEN Amore 150 (sold) / Genuine Buddy 170i / Genuine Stella 4T /Aprilia Sportcity One 50

Ossessionato
@seamus26 avatar
1979 P200E (sold) / ZNEN Amore 150 (sold) / Genuine Buddy 170i / Genuine Stella 4T /Aprilia Sportcity One 50
UTC quote
greg531 wrote:
In my town, the cars all want to pass you, even when you are on a 200cc scooter going 60 in a 40 mph zone....
What about the big lady???, that pulls left out of a driveway in front of me, without looking, to halfway into my lane, and stops. I stop, while hitting the horn, I then try to go around her, she then cuts me off again, completes the left turn in front of me, then stops, and gets out of her SUV, and starts yelling and cursing at me, because I wouldn't let her complete her turn... I tell her as she advances to me, she is going to kill someone someday, as I gun it out of there......
Lots of road rage around here, never get get off your scooter, and if they are tailgating, pull off the road, and let them by, if they are in that much of a hurry, better then, they hurting or kill you.... I had a guy going 15 mph, ahead of me, and he pulled over, I passed him, and he was so insulted that a scooter passed him, he pulled behind me, tailgated me to a foot from my fender. I pulled into a manned fire house, and he was pulling in behind me, and then went back to the road, when he realized he had witnesses....
I am always looking for the squeeze move. That's when the cage is in the other lane, and decides to go into your lane, while you are there, moving you to the curb. That happens at a couple of intersections, when you have to be in the particular lane to go straight. People do not know the rule of a white line around here, I guess they missed that day in drivers Ed....
Traffic in my city is way up, we gained 70,000 residents since 2010, and tempers are flaring, because of all the backups mostly around rush hour.... and they are not used to it being that bad.....
Not to mention that the construction this year has been systematically organized to make any travel in any direction absolutely maddening.

We live very close to 28th and Eastern. Daily accidents are a given, and judging by the way people drive it's no surprise.
@gloria avatar
UTC

Addicted
Bea 2007 LX150.

Addicted
@gloria avatar
Bea 2007 LX150.
UTC quote
In the City Different you are advised to count to ten when the light turns green. People here are the worst at running yellow and red lights. The absolute worst. and cell phone usage while driving. don't even get me started on that.
@sacto_monkeyboy avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 Super

Addicted
@sacto_monkeyboy avatar
GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
In an interesting note this morning I had two separate larger trucks. You know the kind that haul your speed boat or trailer to go camping; well they decided me going 5mph over the speed limit wasn't enough and decided to speed past me and cut me off to get a head of me.

In both cases (Thanks to the legal lane splitting law and stop lights) I was able to get in front of both of them and to my office before either of them got to their destinations.

It was just interesting. One male driver. White Truck. One female driver, red truck. Just a weird thing. Like me being on the Vespa triggered them?! It was weird.
@rrider avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@rrider avatar
UTC quote
Sacto Monkeyboy wrote:
In an interesting note this morning I had two separate larger trucks. You know the kind that haul your speed boat or trailer to go camping; well they decided me going 5mph over the speed limit wasn't enough and decided to speed past me and cut me off to get a head of me.

In both cases (Thanks to the legal lane splitting law and stop lights) I was able to get in front of both of them and to my office before either of them got to their destinations.

It was just interesting. One male driver. White Truck. One female driver, red truck. Just a weird thing. Like me being on the Vespa triggered them?! It was weird.
There's some weird psychology involved here, I've noticed the same.
Around here, I can kind of understand that in many situations a scoot = a vehicle that has the max speed around 40-50km/h. That's because we mainly have 50cc scoots. Still, this is not an excuse to drive past if you're not actually going any slower.

This gets even weirder with a motorcycle. As my bike is naked, it looks small/narrow compared to bikes with fairings. I've noticed that if I ride within speed limits/ within the general flow of traffic at cities/towns, often cars approach me with the intention to drive past me. If I then make some "broom, broom"'sounds (Triumph is nice, can be ridden relatively quietly, but makes noise when commanded) and exaggarate with accelerations a bit, they often leave me alone. I guess then I'm a big bike enough....
@sacto_monkeyboy avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 Super

Addicted
@sacto_monkeyboy avatar
GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
If i had been in the car, it might've really gotten under my skin and annoyed me. I just laughed it off and moved on (literally to work!) but it is weird and interesting.
@71brent avatar
UTC

Hooked
2016 MP3 500 Sport ABS

Hooked
@71brent avatar
2016 MP3 500 Sport ABS
UTC quote
GoSlash27 wrote:
In Iowa, the main offense is "failure to signal". These people don't seem to realize that they have turn signals.
We're also installing a lot of traffic circles (aka "roundabouts") and the locals haven't learned how they work yet.
We also have a big problem with distracted driving due to cell phones, but that's not specific to Iowa.

Best,
-Slashy
We also have an abundance of people that can't figure out 4-way stops, how to yield, how to properly merge onto the interstate and how to move over to the right lane instead of camping in the left lane for eternity. I saw a woman drive all the way from Wilson Ave to the I-80 east exit in the left time the entire time, never once moving over to the right for traffic behind her.
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
UTC quote
71Brent wrote:
GoSlash27 wrote:
In Iowa, the main offense is "failure to signal". These people don't seem to realize that they have turn signals.
We're also installing a lot of traffic circles (aka "roundabouts") and the locals haven't learned how they work yet.
We also have a big problem with distracted driving due to cell phones, but that's not specific to Iowa.

Best,
-Slashy
We also have an abundance of people that can't figure out 4-way stops, how to yield, how to properly merge onto the interstate and how to move over to the right lane instead of camping in the left lane for eternity. I saw a woman drive all the way from Wilson Ave to the I-80 east exit in the left time the entire time, never once moving over to the right for traffic behind her.
Virginia has passed and is aggressively enforcing a left lane law. If you camp in the left lane, and don't move over for other vehicles, $250 first time offense and right now, no warnings. There are highway overhead signs warning drives of the new law.
@amateriat avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@amateriat avatar
UTC quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
71Brent wrote:
GoSlash27 wrote:

Best,
-Slashy
Virginia has passed and is aggressively enforcing a left lane law. If you camp in the left lane, and don't move over for other vehicles, $250 first time offense and right now, no warnings. There are highway overhead signs warning drives of the new law.
Good! Let's hope they put some real teeth in this one, and that other stated take notice.
UTC

Banned
2009 GTS 250, 2013 Buddy 125, 2014 Triumph Bonneville

Banned
UTC quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
This goes along with one of my peeves. All traffic signs are in English. New Jersey has their written driving test in 10 languages, and if your native language is not one of those, they will allow you to use an approved interpreter to take the test in your language. So, ANY language is OK with NJ.

I'm waiting for the day someone gets convicted of a traffic offense and on appeal gets a liberal judge who agrees they can't be held accountable since NJ gave them their test in their native language, but the traffic sign was not in their language.
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
UTC quote
Vintage1 wrote:
WEB-Tech wrote:
This goes along with one of my peeves. All traffic signs are in English. New Jersey has their written driving test in 10 languages, and if your native language is not one of those, they will allow you to use an approved interpreter to take the test in your language. So, ANY language is OK with NJ.

I'm waiting for the day someone gets convicted of a traffic offense and on appeal gets a liberal judge who agrees they can't be held accountable since NJ gave them their test in their native language, but the traffic sign was not in their language.
Wasn't there a saying something like, "ignorance of the law is not an excuse for breaking the law."

Found it, love Google.
Ignorantia juris non excusat or ignorantia legis neminem excusat (Latin for "ignorance of the law excuses not" and "ignorance of law excuses no one" respectively) is a legal principle holding that a person who is unaware of a law may not escape liability for violating that law merely because one was unaware of its ... Laughing emoticon
UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
In a sane world, with sane judges and juries, yes, you would think so.
Look up "affluenza defense" to see what insanity I'm referring.

A rich kid, Ethan Couch, killed 4 people in a drunk driving crash. He was found guilty. The prosecution asked for a 20 year sentence. The defense produced a psychologist who said because the kid was rich, and had cars and money, and his parents never taught him that sometimes you don't get your way, he should get only probation. Guess what? for killing 4 people he did get sentenced to only probation.
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
UTC quote
Vintage1 wrote:
In a sane world, with sane judges and juries, yes, you would think so.
Look up "affluenza defense" to see what insanity I'm referring.

A rich kid, Ethan Couch, killed 4 people in a drunk driving crash. He was found guilty. The prosecution asked for a 20 year sentence. The defense produced a psychologist who said because the kid was rich, and had cars and money, and his parents never taught him that sometimes you don't get your way, he should get only probation. Guess what? for killing 4 people he did get sentenced to only probation.
Yep, knew that was what you were referring too before even looking at the paragraph. So yes the justice system sucks right now.
@conchscooter avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2004 Vespa ET4, 2009 Vespa S150, Suzuki Burgman 200

Molto Verboso
@conchscooter avatar
2004 Vespa ET4, 2009 Vespa S150, Suzuki Burgman 200
UTC quote
judy wrote:
People that look at you and then pull out in front of you. Drives me insane. There are a few places where it's worse than ohters.
Some ARE a lot worse than others
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@amateriat avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@amateriat avatar
UTC quote
conchscooter wrote:
judy wrote:
People that look at you and then pull out in front of you. Drives me insane. There are a few places where it's worse than ohters.
Some ARE a lot worse than others
About as bad as it gets.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0398s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0242s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]