@jet_peddler avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
'07 LX150 (Sold), '17 GTS300, '16 BV350, '15 EN650, '09 FXDF (sold). '15 FLSTN

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC quote
Visited a local mega multi-brand motorcycle store today to test drive a used GTS 300 SS for a fellow MV'er.

Showed them license and insurance and got ready for the ride. Before taking off I asked them to check the tire pressures which they did after I rode the scoot back to the service area.

Turns out there were 42 lbs. in the front, 48 in the rear. I shook my head while they deflated both tires.

Got up to 60mph on the highway access roads during the test ride. What would have been the likely outcome if I had ridden with 42/48 lbs in the tires? Any significant danger?
UTC

Banned
2009 GTS 250, 2013 Buddy 125, 2014 Triumph Bonneville

Banned
UTC quote
My guess is you would have lost some grip. How much? I dunno. Probably enough to matter in certain conditions. Would show on the curves.
UTC

Hooked
BV250

Hooked
BV250
UTC quote
For the TLDR folks - I wouldn't have worried too much.

I would bet almost no danger for short distances.

What tires were they? Near as I can tell they were probably 41 psi max tires in rear and 33 in front. 27% off in front and 17% off in rear.

There are certain cases with some types of tire like trailers where slight overpressure is indicated. One of the main parameters that air pressure affects is capacity. Lower air pressure = lower capacity. Tire manufacturers publish curves for this.

There's a saying that if you ever want to doubt an air gauge, have two. Very few have the precision to really differentiate even a 10% diff, at least when you compare different specimens and species.

If you were trying to get all MotoGP on some turns it might have been a bit of a slide like Vintage1 said (less surface area for grip).

But this scenario does illustrate why I do most of my work myself because the "pros" are not the pros of yesteryear but technicians who sometimes don't take as much pride warranted as evidenced here.
@larrymk avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa Super 300

Molto Verboso
@larrymk avatar
Vespa Super 300
UTC quote
the first maintenance I had for my Vespa which is like 500 miles I had the Vespa brought to the dealer and back as they are quite far from me and I was a new rider. When I got it back I checked the tires pressure and saw that each tire was at 50lbs. Now according to the Vespa the front tire is like 25 and the back 29. I called the dealer and asked is there something I don't know that you filled my tires so high. Their response was no should be less can we come over and fix this. I told them no I can do this. So in my opinion many of the dealers do not have the best staff, even though the dealer I used has a good rep.

larry
@cheshire avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS (sold)

Molto Verboso
@cheshire avatar
GTS (sold)
UTC quote
42/48?? That changes the handling completely and makes the GTS terrifying to ride. Square tires would be a smoother ride. I know because the Greensboro, NC dealer returned my scooter to me from a major service and tire change with those pressures.
I thought it was the tires at first and was about to turn around and have them reinstall my almost-bald tires instead of ride home the way it handled: it was that bad. I thought to check the pressure first for some reason. After adjusting to 26/30, suddenly my scooter is her normal self again and I'll never let that dealership touch my GTS again.
@larrymk avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa Super 300

Molto Verboso
@larrymk avatar
Vespa Super 300
UTC quote
Cheshire wrote:
42/48?? That changes the handling completely and makes the GTS terrifying to ride. Square tires would be a smoother ride. I know because the Greensboro, NC dealer returned my scooter to me from a major service and tire change with those pressures.
I thought it was the tires at first and was about to turn around and have them reinstall my almost-bald tires instead of ride home the way it handled: it was that bad. I thought to check the pressure first for some reason. After adjusting to 26/30, suddenly my scooter is her normal self again and I'll never let that dealership touch my GTS again.
strange that happened to both of us

larry
OP
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC quote
Thankfully I had the presence of mind to have them check the air pressure. Doubt that anything major would have happened, but you never know.
The scoot sure ran nice though.

The MV'er called the dealership and made them an offer right at closing time tonight. We'll see if they accept the offer tomorrow.
@larrymk avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa Super 300

Molto Verboso
@larrymk avatar
Vespa Super 300
UTC quote
Jet Peddler wrote:
Thankfully I had the presence of mind to have them check the air pressure. Doubt that anything major would have happened, but you never know.
The scoot sure ran nice though.

The MV'er called the dealership and made them an offer right at closing time tonight. We'll see if they accept the offer tomorrow.
with the tires at the proper pressure the Vespa is great ride, best of luck

larry
UTC

Ossessionato
2018 Vespa GTS 300 ABS- Bianco

Ossessionato
UTC quote
My wheels/tires are currently off my scoot. When I bench inflate to above riding PSI the tires show no noticeable size increase at well above spec-whatever that is for you. The difference in riding is stiffness. Air pressure has been discussed in the recent thread r.e. the wobble/tank slapper event I had this past Monday.
My personal plan is to ride on 30/30 and see what results. That's pretty close to what I'd been using for my old tires which had no issues other than wear on the rear and time to go.
I see no particular safety issue with that test ride? Someone aired them up then either they forgot to bleed back to speck or as is common their air gauge was crappy as many happen to be. Typically the error will be under 10% in my experience. My best gauge came from Summitt racing and is a dial type that's not that expensive yet spot on. Check your own gauge against a tire store good one.
UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
It's not the air gauge. They're not off by THAT much. More likely, it's the 15 yr old kid they 'hired' to uncrate the scooters and wash them, and sweep up around the shop and do other 'safe' tasks. He also inflates the tires of the trailers they sell. Those 9 inch tires most times say to inflate to 45 or 50 or 60lbs, and the kid figures, "Heck, these Vespa tires are about the same size..."

Lately as I've been observing people, more and more the quote from George Carlin plays in my mind and I find myself smiling and nodding in agreement...

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
@schultz avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS 300

Hooked
@schultz avatar
GTS 300
UTC quote
That quote bout some ups the kinds idiots you got in this world now days. That much air pressure you would of had a stiff bumpy ride felt everything on the road. Could of lost some grip if you would of been dragging the sides in a turn. For your ride no problems. Had thins happen many times thats why it best to check em yourself.
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
[quote="Vintage1"]It's not the air gauge. They're not off by THAT much. More likely, it's the 15 yr old kid they 'hired' to uncrate the scooters and wash them, and sweep up around the shop and do other 'safe' tasks. He also inflates the tires of the trailers they sell. Those 9 inch tires most times say to inflate to 45 or 50 or 60lbs, and the kid figures, "Heck, these Vespa tires are about the same size..."

Lately as I've been observing people, more and more the quote from George Carlin plays in my mind and I find myself smiling and nodding in agreement...

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."[/quote
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0160s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0053s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]