OP
@amateriat avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)

Ossessionato
@amateriat avatar
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)
UTC quote
That moment when you realize you've spent the better part of two weeks researching helmets which, among other criteria, are most-quiet at highway speeds...then spend close to two hours tonight listening to this guy at near point-blank range.

Helmet arrives tomorrow. Here's hoping my upper-frequency-range hearing returns at roughly the same time.
Dale done did my 'drums in.
Dale done did my 'drums in.
@rrider avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)

Ossessionato
@rrider avatar
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
UTC quote
You may have posted this elsewhere, but which helmet will you get?

I've been riding just a bit faster roads this summer than within a few years now and was again reminded that noise is the number one pain for me at higher speeds.

I like naked bikes and don't have any troubles with wind pressing my chest, but year by year noise is increasingly an issue. Just comparing "by ear", my current Arai helmet does OK at this front. Also, I wear almost always ear plugs, but its too common than one, or both of them became loose during the ride - and I'm too lazy to stop and put them properly. Should stop wagging my ears while riding

....and yes, I actually wear ear plugs at live concerts often too. It really is not the same, but I've got a bit too large doze of noise already during the years, got to try to save what's left there.
@rrider avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@rrider avatar
UTC quote
RRider wrote:
You may have posted this elsewhere, but which helmet will you get?

I've been riding just a bit faster roads this summer than within a few years now and was again reminded that noise is the number one pain for me at higher speeds.

I like naked bikes and don't have any troubles with wind pressing my chest, but year by year noise is increasingly an issue. Just comparing "by ear", my current Arai helmet does OK at this front. Also, I wear almost always ear plugs, but its too common than one, or both of them became loose during the ride - and I'm too lazy to stop and put them properly. Should stop wagging my ears while riding

....and yes, I actually wear ear plugs at live concerts often too. It really is not the same, but I've got a bit too large doze of noise already during the years, got to try to save what's left there.
Oh, forget the thing I thought first - haven't really listened surf guitar music, but do recognice a Fender Strat. They have a nice sound, but to me it's also often of the piercing sort, sounds loud with all the normal mic combos at least.

I have a Strat....that I can't really play, bought it long time ago and thought that oneday I'll start practicing. That day is yet to come......it has a douple coil pickup mic, "humbucker", adding even more to the "loud and clear" tone. Hmmm...mayby I should dust & tune it up...one day....
@sledge avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS 300 HPE

Ossessionato
@sledge avatar
GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
[quote="RRider"]
RRider wrote:
I have a Strat....that I can't really play, bought it long time ago and thought that oneday I'll start practicing. That day is yet to come......
Strangely enough, I have the same . A new USA Strat bought in Germany about 30 years ago. It still has the clear cover on the pick guard. Perhaps this deserves its own thread.

I saw Albert Lee at the local guitar festival last week. Front row seat and the amp was turned up several times during the performance even though it was mic'd and went via the desk to the p.a system . So loud all I could hear was the guitar and not any other instrument in the band. What?...........
OP
@amateriat avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@amateriat avatar
UTC quote
Hearing is approaching normal again. (Of course, it's only been some eight hours...) Among other things, hearing Dick Dale live is literally as about close as you can get to a 60s concert experience - he's still using some of his amps from back then. (And why not...he had a hand in their design!). But I've gotta remember earplugs for this kind of short-range shredding. And, good golly, the man's still All That - if you can possibly catch him live, absolutely do so...between being 81 and decidedly not in good health, you won't get many more chances .

And, yep, I mentioned the helmet in that great thread Guzzi Gal kicked off some days back, but here's a pic of it again. Might write a "first impressions" but on it, assuming I ordered the correct size: FedEx sez it's out "on the truck" somewhere in these parts this morning...
HJC RPHA 70 ST
HJC RPHA 70 ST
⚠️ Last edited by amateriat on UTC; edited 6 times
@larrytsg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1979 P200e

Ossessionato
@larrytsg avatar
1979 P200e
UTC quote
Dick Dale, king of the surf guitar!

How was the concert?
OP
@amateriat avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@amateriat avatar
UTC quote
Larrytsg wrote:
Dick Dale, king of the surf guitar!

How was the concert?
Amazing. See above.
@raputtak avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2016 GTS 300 Super - red, of course.

Ossessionato
@raputtak avatar
2016 GTS 300 Super - red, of course.
UTC quote
RRider wrote:
... I have a Strat....that I can't really play, bought it long time ago and thought that oneday I'll start practicing. That day is yet to come......it has a douple coil pickup mic, "humbucker", adding even more to the "loud and clear" tone. Hmmm...mayby I should dust & tune it up...one day....
[nsr] Hardest thing about playing an instrument, any instrument, is taking it out of its case.

Especially a piano. If you are an harpist!

My basses and guitars all sit on a rack within arms reach. Those I play. The other instruments in cases I haven't seen in ages.
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150
UTC quote
Must be nice living near the Stone Pony. Ever see Bruce show up?
My wife and I were at a friends next store to you in Bradly Beach and word got around that the whole band was going to show up that night. Friend called in a favor and got us 2 tickets and the whole band did show up.
Small venue for the Bruce and the E Street band.
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
'07 LX150 (Sold), '17 GTS300, '16 BV350, '15 EN650, '09 FXDF (sold). '15 FLSTN

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@jet_peddler avatar
'07 LX150 (Sold), '17 GTS300, '16 BV350, '15 EN650, '09 FXDF (sold). '15 FLSTN
UTC quote
I always wear foam earplugs when I attend any non-electrified concert. I can still hear the music just fine but with less distortion and no hearing loss. Makes things much more enjoyable.

As the 1972 Alka Seltzer commercial used to say: "Try it... You'll like it!"
UTC

Molto Verboso
portofino green GTV 300

Molto Verboso
portofino green GTV 300
UTC quote
Re: Tonight's Ironic Reflection.
amateriat wrote:
That moment when you realize you've spent the better part of two weeks researching helmets which, among other criteria, are most-quiet at highway speeds...then spend close to two hours tonight listening to this guy at near point-blank range.

Helmet arrives tomorrow. Here's hoping my upper-frequency-range hearing returns at roughly the same time.
I'll be seeing him in my home town this month and it's a small venue, missed Albert Lee in June , been kicking myself ever since .
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0131s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0023s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]