UTC

Hooked
1981 P200e, S-Works Stumpjumper

Hooked
@broken_hipster avatar
1981 P200e, S-Works Stumpjumper
UTC quote
Hi all,

Put in a new clutch cable and am trying to get it adjusted correctly. I understand that if the clutch lever is engaged all the way then the kickstarter will not turn anything over (sort of slips right down without catching anything) - correct?

But now it seems like every once in a while my kickstarter is not catching anything, ie: it will kick over fine for a few kicks but randomly it will slip through as if the clutch lever is engaged. Could this have to do with the clutch cable not being adjusted tight enough? Or is this indicative of a worn kickstarter gear?

Thanks,

David
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
UTC quote
could be a worn out clutch, if you're lucky. i mean, shot corks and/or weak springs will sometimes act this way.

more than likely it's a kickstart gear-- especially if you haven't replaced it.

the easiest check is to pull all the tension off the clutch cable and see if you can replicate the problem. if you can't, then you've got the adjustment wrong. if the problem persists, then jump into the clutch. it's cheaper and easier than cracking the cases for a K/S gear.

good luck!

-g
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0097s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0017s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]