OP
UTC

ET 4; Burgman 400

ET 4; Burgman 400
UTC quote
Good Morning All:
New to this forum, thank you for opportunity!
Purchased a 2002 ET4 150 earlier this year which I'm enjoying thoroughly.
My top speed on theET is 45-50 mph. I'm finding the need for a higher top speed range of 55-65 mph. I'm 6' and 210#. Will the GT 200 get me to this top range speed range, or will I need to move up.
Blasphemously, I'm looking at other makes of maxi-scooters also(I will keep my ET); believing I might need to move up to 300 - 400 to get to my top speed range. Any thoughts or recommendations very appreciated!
Happy scooting,
Tom
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
A GT200 will wind up to over 70 quite happily. 55 to 65 is a very comfy range for it.
OP
UTC

ET 4; Burgman 400

ET 4; Burgman 400
UTC quote
Thanks Jim. Glad to see another curmudgeon on board!
UTC

Molto Verboso
portofino green GTV 300

Molto Verboso
portofino green GTV 300
UTC quote
Welcome to the forum from New England
@goslash27 avatar
UTC

Addicted
Viet-bodge

Addicted
@goslash27 avatar
Viet-bodge
UTC quote
I'm surprised your ET4 150 can only make 45-50. It *should* be able to do better.
I wonder if there's something wrong with it...

Best,
-Slashy
OP
UTC

ET 4; Burgman 400

ET 4; Burgman 400
UTC quote
Thanks for the welcomed flyangler.
Hi Slashy, I wasn't surprised with the top speed range on the ET,
it runs smoothly, I hope nothing is wrong. I was more surprised to read that the GT 200 tops out at 70. Years ago I had a Honda Helix 250 and it topped out at 70, 60 - 65 comfortably. That's why I thought moving up to
a 300/400; I'm not aware of a 250 out there, or if so, not much to choose from. Thanks for yourinput!
UTC

Hooked
BV250

Hooked
BV250
UTC quote
I'm on the "your ET should be doing better than that" side. How is it on the maint schedule for sparkplug, air filter, roller weights and belt?

I love the GT200. You are a bit lighter than me and would do very well with a GT - 70 is no prob but I think it "likes" 65. You are in flatter country than me but I like to add a note regarding hilly areas - ymmv. Getting up to speed on hills would be slower. I now have the 250 in the BV but performance-wise it is only slightly more torquy than the 200 and otherwise almost a match. I adored my GT. Did I mention that?

Anyway - I'd seek to make sure the ET was performing as designed before changing bikes.
OP
UTC

ET 4; Burgman 400

ET 4; Burgman 400
UTC quote
Thanks for your input Jesse. I purchased theET 2/2018, maintenance had just been done. Only put a few hundred miles on her since. I'm thinking now that I really haven't tried to open her up all the way. The back roads I've been riding aren't the best and I'm reluctant. I need to bring her somewhere I can really try.
I'm not wanting to get rid of ET, I'm just looking for a reason to add to the stable, I fear ET may be lonely
Take care!
UTC

Hooked
BV250

Hooked
BV250
UTC quote
A few hundred miles is nothing. How long riding? Getting a comfort level on the road and kicking tail and taking names is important before upgrading hardware.

My 200 and 250 were very fast to 55 and then slow to top speed. You may be experiencing that. Have a highway to open her up? Maybe try a couple speed passes between two relatively close offramps at a time of day that's comfortable.

The whole "ride your ride" thing is key - going out of comfort zone is something to work up to rather than full frontal assault.
OP
UTC

ET 4; Burgman 400

ET 4; Burgman 400
UTC quote
Thanks Jesse, I needed that. I hadn't ridden in about 20 years when I got ET,
so I have been easing back into it, especially since reflexes and thought process have slowed considerably. Just got a little worried that some of those backroads were at 55 mph, and I didn't have the oomph to get out of trouble if I needed to. I love riding again and I love Vespa!
UTC

Hooked
BV250

Hooked
BV250
UTC quote
Right on. Others here with that bike will share what speed they feel stable at. I have ridden full size motorcycles where 60 mph feels like 100 and my GT was very stable and confidence inspiring at 60-65. The ET4 may still be better suited to stable cruising lower speeds. I had a Riva 125 at a time which felt very unstable at even 40 or 45 even though even that would hit 55 (and I think 60?) with considerable proportions.
@jayhawk avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@jayhawk avatar
UTC quote
Fwiw, my ET4 cruised 55-60 no problem,and topped out slightly above 65 mph. Hills definitely slowed it down, though...but it was a good bike. I feel my GT200 is more stable at high speeds. It will hayl my wife and I around (300 ish combined pounds) at an easy 65 mph to 70, but we slow on hills. Solo, I cruise at about 70-75 routinely with much less slow down on hills. The 200 is awesome.

Eric
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
'07 LX150 (Sold), '17 GTS300, '16 BV350, '15 EN650, '09 FXDF (sold). '15 FLSTN

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@jet_peddler avatar
'07 LX150 (Sold), '17 GTS300, '16 BV350, '15 EN650, '09 FXDF (sold). '15 FLSTN
UTC quote
Welcome to MV from San Antonio, Texas! Nothing wrong with venturing outside the Vespa world but...

GT 200, GTS 250, GTS 300, BV 300, etc. Plenty of strong options to get what you need inside the Piaggio family. Really depends on what deals can be had in your locale.

Keep us posted!
OP
UTC

ET 4; Burgman 400

ET 4; Burgman 400
UTC quote
Hi all,
Jesse and Slashy were right on; took the ET out this week on nice stretch of roadway, able to get her up to 55-60 with little effort. Not sure if it is the small wheels, lack of windshield, or small frame, but I just did not feel comfortable at higher speed. Feels much more comfortable at 40-45.
Going this weekend to check out a GT 200, both Jesse and Eric had such high praise. Thanks for all the input, I hope y'all have a great weekend!
Tom
@waspmike avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold) Now Honda Zoomer X

Ossessionato
@waspmike avatar
UTC quote
[quote="TG1952"]Hi all,
Jesse and Slashy were right on; took the ET out this week on nice stretch of roadway, able to get her up to 55-60 with little effort. Not sure if it is the small wheels, lack of windshield, or small frame, but I just did not feel comfortable at higher speed. Feels much more comfortable at 40-45.
/quote]

Tom,

Vespa is designed as an urban vehicle. That being said guys back in the day used to say Lambrettas with small wheels couldn't corner. I took my motorbike friend back to my house once and when we got there he had grass stuck in his helmet.

Small wheels just take some getting used to.
@waspmike avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@waspmike avatar
UTC quote
[quote="waspmike"]
TG1952 wrote:
Hi all,
Tom,

Vespa is designed as an urban vehicle. That being said guys back in the day used to say Lambrettas with small wheels couldn't corner. I took my motorbike friend back to my house once and when we got there he had grass stuck in his helmet.

Small wheels just take some getting used to.
@jayhawk avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@jayhawk avatar
UTC quote
I think you will like the GT200... faster and much more stable feeling at higher speeds. I have taken mine on the interstate and didn't have issues with wind from semis and such.

Eric
OP
UTC

ET 4; Burgman 400

ET 4; Burgman 400
UTC quote
Well, my intention was to go check out the GT 200 this weekend. Didn't make it, stopped on the way to check out a Burgman 400, and was enthralled with the pristine condition. 2008 with 18,000 miles, well maintained and showroom shined, a couple of minor scrapes on muffler cover.
Seller somewhat of a curmudgeon, reluctantly allowed me to ride in the neighborhood, was like trying to tame a wild animal. I could feel the strength and ferocity underneath me just waiting to be released.
Put a deposit, and continued on to destination, notified seller of GT I had been hijacked by a wild beast, providing my best wishes.
Picked up the Burgman yesterday and it drove me home. What a machine!
At 55-60 off the jump with a quarter open throttle, begging to be opened up and allowed to run. Did run up to 70-75 with half open throttle, but didn't try to open up further because of route and road conditions. Solid footing, raw strength, never wobbly or loose. Well, enough, this is a Vespa forum.
@larrytsg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1979 P200e

Ossessionato
@larrytsg avatar
1979 P200e
UTC quote
Hey, all is good. You need to find the right scooter for your style of riding. The old ET4 and LX150's are good for 65mph tops (newer 150's are speed limited to 59mph)... you're riding at the limit there, and if you need bursts higher than that you're gonna need a bigger scoot or a maxi scoot.

Me? Just got back from 80 mile 3 state ride (nibbled a corner of Connecticut for the first time!). At times I felt like I was pushing the P200 for all it's worth, but don't think I broke 55 mph at all.
UTC

Hooked
BV250

Hooked
BV250
UTC quote
Thanks for the update - it's always nice to hear the outcome. The Burg is a perfectly fine specimen.
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
UTC quote
Sounds like you are planning to keep the ET4 as well. The 2 bikes should make a good combo. The ET for around town and the Burgie for out on the highway.
OP
UTC

ET 4; Burgman 400

ET 4; Burgman 400
UTC quote
Yes, I plan to keep both the ET and the Burgman. I keep the ET at a woodsy retreat location about 60 miles from our home in suburbia. I will use the Burgman to commute from suburbia to the woodsy retreat, and hopefully, some road trips; then, use ET for store runs and tooling around when at retreat location. My wife refers to the scooters as 'Beauty (ET) and the Beast (Burgman)'. Thanks to all for your comments, advice, and encouragements!
Tom
UTC

Hooked
carnaby 125

Hooked
carnaby 125
UTC quote
my 125 on can max out at 68-70mph depends on weather but average for me is 65mph

i was going to do my bike test but didn't see point when i just use for work and short journeys and my insurance will just rise a lot if i passed and then i would end up speeding if i brought something more powerful lol
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0528s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0348s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]