OP
UTC

Vespa GTS 300 touring ABS, lx125

Vespa GTS 300 touring ABS, lx125
UTC quote
2007 lx125 has ran faultlessly for 19k kms.

Always serviced, belts rollers all good.

2 weeks ago it started but in around a 1/4 of a mile stuttered and then stopped. It wouldn't restart. I tried on other occasions but no luck.

I had it towed to a dealer. I'm in Portugal and don't speak fluently enough to describe the problem and they don't speak English.

Anyway I sort of said sort it out, Service it, new oil etc. I collected and all seemed well. Scooter ran well until the next day when after it started fine it died in similar fashion. After a while it restarted but a similar thing happened.

Finally after another overnight without use it did it again and would not start.

Again towed to garage where they drained the tank, changed the fuel filter and it ran fine for about 400 yds before it ran out of fuel!

After filling the tank all good, ran well and today after an overnight did the same again and stopped running.

In this mode it'll turn over and fires and nearly catches on occasion but at other times it turns but won't fire and feels like it'll never start.

Today I began to push it home and after 5 mins tried again and it started and ran faultlessly for the next 20 mins to get home?

Any thoughts? Certainly frustrating.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
Almost certainly your valve clearances need adjusting. You have the exact symptoms for that on a Leader engine. If it's never been done on your scoot, that'll be the problem. I can tell you from considerable experience that without doing this you will just chase your tail cleaning the carb numerous times without ever getting a final resolution.

From a Piaggio tech memo, with an added comment in bold from me:
Quote:
FOUR STROKE, RELUCTANT TO PICK UP.

Details: The engine always starts and idles sweetly, but it is reluctant to pick up particularly when cold, or just stalls and is reluctant to restart for a while.
Once it does pick up it seems to run OK.

Facts: It is not a choke problem.
The choke defaults to being on and the engine starts easily so the choke must be working.
If you blocked the choke jet you would be unlikely to start a cold engine.
It is not a spark problem because the engine starts easily and it does not cut out when the throttle is opened, it just does not want to accelerate.

Red Herring: It could be running weak.
Probably not, because it will maintain high rpm once you can get it to pick up.
Check for low fuel level in the carburettor just in case.
Attach a length of clear plastic tube to the carburettor drain and turn it up the side of the carburettor. Open the drain screw and observe the height of the fuel in the tube (it is the same as in the float bowl). It should be near the top of the float bowl, maybe 4-5mm below the joint where the float bowl attaches to the carburettor body.

The solution: Check the tappets.

You should find a tight tappet.
Correct tappet settings:
50 4t:- 0.10 in, 0.15 ex.
Leader:- 0.10 in, 0.15 ex.
125 Pre Leader:- 0.15 in, 0.15 ex.
Quasar:- 0.10 in, 0.15 ex.
Master:- 0.15 in, 0.15 ex.
Coguar 125:- 0.10 in, 0.10 ex.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0092s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0016s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]