@maryalex622 avatar
UTC

Lurker
GTS 300 (Yacht Club edition)

Lurker
@maryalex622 avatar
UTC quote
Hello! This is my first post here. I'm getting my first Vespa soon. I'm an absolute beginner, I've never even ridden a motorcycle. I wanted to have my helmet already when I pick it up. I don't want anything super fancy as I assume as I get more into all of it I'll probably find a really great helmet I love. For right now, I want it to be safe, legal, comfortable (I wear glasses), have some form of face shield, and preferably fit my style, and hopefully be under about $200. So far, these are what I've narrowed it down to. I'd like to know people's opinion on them and if anyone has them already, what do you think of them?

First up is this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MA4AZ17/?coliid=IQCL6NTWHVW5Y&colid=3EUIO6ZO1LIGX&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Second is this helmet with this shield, the shield seemed good for glasses. I saw someone say they could still fit their hand under to push up their glasses etc:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016P4MOVC/?coliid=I329JMJ6TH0ODW&colid=3EUIO6ZO1LIGX&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JDPPHC4/?coliid=I2OCD9BY4XYLJI&colid=3EUIO6ZO1LIGX&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1&psc=1

Last is this one. I couldn't find any good pictures of what it's like on, but if anyone owns one I'd like to hear about it:

https://www.amazon.com/HCI-Fiberglass-Motorcycle-Helmet-Shield/dp/B00GRHWWR4/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8&coliid=I2NRJYD7B95ZI1&colid=3EUIO6ZO1LIGX
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
BV400, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125

Ossessionato
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC quote
Whatever you do, don't buy your first helmet from Amazon!

The most important thing about a helmet is how it fits YOU, and you have to try on some real helmets in a real store to find one that fits. Style, color, even price are secondary. Shop around at your local motorcycle dealers or power sports gear shops, and ask for advice!

For example, I would get a Bell helmet but I've never found one that fits me properly.

...now when you've found a helmet that fits... then come back and we can give you our varying opinions.

Nice choice of scooter, BTW!
@t5bitza69 avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
T5s

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@t5bitza69 avatar
T5s
UTC quote
haha haha ..... er ...... hahaha
When you can afford to buy a limited scooter with 2 blue stickers for stupid money buy a bloody good lid ..... the scooter can be replaced .........

Imagine the lid that could be bought for the extra 1k cost of a painted horncover n 2 stickers
@larrytsg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1979 P200e

Ossessionato
@larrytsg avatar
1979 P200e
UTC quote
I guess it depends on if you have an entry level head or brain......

Your helmet is the most important piece opf safety equipment you'll ever hope not to use, so it darn well better be the best you can afford and the best fitting.

There's a reason people try stuff on, and there's a reason we have local retailers. eBay and Amazon are great places to buy dog food or diapers and potato chips, but you have to try on a helmet. And you'd be surprised at how many people are wearing the wrong size helmet.

Here's a clip from Jay Leno, someone who should know helmets as a long time motorcyclist, but was wearing the wrong size for decades.

UTC

Banned
2009 GTS 250, 2013 Buddy 125, 2014 Triumph Bonneville

Banned
UTC quote
Hi and welcome. I like your third choice I like flip up face shields for hot summer time riding where you might get stuck in traffic or around town stop and go you can just lift the shield and cool off a little bit.

As previously mentioned the main item is a proper fit. If you buy online double check that they have free or reasonable return shipping. Sometimes you have to go through a couple helmets to get the right fit. If it was a known national brand you could always go to a cycle shop and see what is the best fit for you before ordering it online.
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
JKJ-FZ6 wrote:

The most important thing about a helmet is how it fits YOU, and you have to try on some real helmets in a real store to find one that fits. Style, color, even price are secondary. Shop around at your local motorcycle dealers or power sports gear shops, and ask for advice!

For example, I would get a Bell helmet but I've never found one that fits me properly.

...now when you've found a helmet that fits... then come back and we can give you our varying opinions.

Very good advise. Also, consider that a full face helmet will give the greatest area of protection in a crash. But it is always an individual call on what risk you are comfortable with. Good luck.
OP
@maryalex622 avatar
UTC

Lurker

Lurker
@maryalex622 avatar
UTC quote
JKJ-FZ6 wrote:
Thank you! I'm really excited about it.
JKJ-FZ6 wrote:

That makes sense. I'm gonna have to look for some physical shops near me to try some on. The only one I'm aware of is over an hour from me, but I'm sure there have to be others too. Although, I'd still like to know if these are even worth wasting my time with.

T5bitza69, thanks for responding to my questions, I guess... Money isn't really the main concern for a helmet, as much as it with me being brand new to all this like I said. I just didn't wanna drop tons of money on something that "sounded" good, then come to find out its actually a piece of crap because I didn't know any better. That's what I meant when I said I'd probably find a better one when I'm more experienced.
UTC

Hooked
BV250

Hooked
BV250
UTC quote
There is no beginner helmet, like there is no beginner crash. Get the best you can buy that fits your head.

Protection: Full face > modular > 3/4 > half. Best protection is full face.

Brands: top tier - Shoei, Arai, Schuberth - maybe one or two others.

Next level that I would buy - HJC/AGV. I am completely unimpressed with Biltwell products and Bell helmets but ymmv.

Different brands fit different heads. Your country of origin may guide which brand will fit you best. More oval v. more round.

Go to as many dealers and Cycle Gears as you can in area and try everything on.

The helmets you linked, while stylish, won't impress you in a fall and that's what you wear it for.

Also - dealers will tell you that it will "break in" and it should feel a little tight. I'm calling pure BS on that. It should fit like a glove when you put it on and have no objectionable discomfort from the first second through hours of riding. If so - it's not the right one.
@lostboater avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Vespa LX150 GTS250ie GTS300x2 sold 'em

Ossessionato
@lostboater avatar
Vespa LX150 GTS250ie GTS300x2 sold 'em
UTC quote
Of course nothing counts here unless you post a picture of the scooter. I quess we wait until you get though.

Patriot motorsports in Vicksburg may have helmets or you might want to consider riding over to Jackson to the Harley Dealer or Jackson Motor Sports just to try some on. It will a least give you an idea what you are looking at and you just might find one you like.

The Corner Mansion in Vicksburg is one of my favorite B & B's. Marcie makes a great frozen margarita.
@wleuthold avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@wleuthold avatar
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)
UTC quote
To answer your direct question, the Bitwell and Bell helmets are fine. The third may be as well but I have not heard of the brand. DOT certified is all that is required.

It is certainly best to try a helmet on in the shop, but I have bought two from motorcycle shops that felt fine in the shop. After an hour ride, they were painful.

My favorite helmets have been purchased online and are very comfortable, one so much so that I bought a second to match.

You do need to try some helmets on somewhere to determine your size. I wear XL. Even these vary a bit. Even within the same manufacturer.

Your results may vary.

Bill
@troutbum avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2012 Kymco Like 200i (Sold), 2018 FLSL

Ossessionato
@troutbum avatar
2012 Kymco Like 200i (Sold), 2018 FLSL
UTC quote
Most of the online shops allow returns so if you don't have a shop nearby to try on helmets they are a great option. Avoid cheap, no name helmets. Know your head shape as manufactures tend to only make helmets that fit one shape head. Also, look for helmets that are made for riding upright (scooters, cruisers, touring). You don't want a sport bike style helmet as they are designed to give you maximum field of vision when leaning forward. If you do have shops near you try several helmets and when you found one you like wear it around the shop for awhile. This will give you a chance to find if the helmets creates uncomfortable pressure points. Unfortunately helmet discomfort doesn't show-up right away. So wear that helmet a while before you decide.
@kimono32 avatar
UTC

Addicted
'66 Super 150

Addicted
@kimono32 avatar
'66 Super 150
UTC quote
Hi MaryAlex and welcome to MV! Congrats on your impending scooter purchase.

Just wanting to share my personal experience, having actually bought that first helmet you listed, the Biltwell Gringo S.

Yes, I ordered it from Amazon. But prior to settling on the Gringo, I had ordered and shipped back five other different helmets, knowing I needed to be very picky about fit. Shipping and returning was all included with my Amazon prime perks.

Size matters for sure, and is probably best gauged by an expert at a scooter shop. And I believe in supporting local brick and mortars. But, I really liked the simplicity of the Biltwell and none of our local shops carried them.

So, I watched larrytsg's Jay Leno video, which is very helpful, and I measured my head per the Biltwell size chart instructions. According to the chart, I have a size large head. But in the end, I kept the size small helmet. It squished my cheeks and felt very tight on my head at first, but loosened over time to a snug comfortable fit. It still gives me diamond shapes on my forehead though, from the interior padding, not cute.

I'm a relatively new scooter girl (one year), so take my advice with a grain of salt. But, I felt reassured after reading many reviews of the Biltwell helmets by experienced motorcyclists who had previously worn Shoei, Arai, and Bell brands. Many of them said they preferred the Biltwell.

I believe that you can find something that fulfills both your function and form preferences. Might take a bit of extra monkeying around, but will be worth it. You'll be wearing it every time you ride. Or so I hope Good luck and let us know what you get, both scooter and helmet.

PS: I also own the Biltwell Gringo and have a bubble shield, but I never wear it. I like the flip-up shield much better.

PSS: if you end up getting the Biltwell, you may be tempted to purchase the cool retro looking helmet bag as well. But, just don't. It is a cheap-feeling pleather bag that looks all lopsided after you jam your helmet into the too small, sharp-zippered opening. Like one of those freebie bag-with-make-up-purchase types. Just my observation anyway.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@tdrake avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2006 GT200

Ossessionato
@tdrake avatar
2006 GT200
UTC quote
Lots of good advice here -- especially on the absolute necessity of trying on before buying! -- and this may get too deep in the weeds, but it's worth noting that mo-$$ does not necessarily equal better protection; after a minimal price point and DOT/Snell cert., mo-$$ largely equates with features, comfort/wind-noise and country of production etc.

For example, look how well the standard $100 HJC TR1 (or the discontinued Kabuto Kamui I picked up for $89) rates in comparison to some of the Arai and Shoei products: https://crash.org.au/ratings.php
OP
@maryalex622 avatar
UTC

Lurker

Lurker
@maryalex622 avatar
UTC quote
Kimono32 wrote:
Hi MaryAlex and welcome to MV! Congrats on your impending scooter purchase.

Just wanting to share my personal experience, having actually bought that first helmet you listed, the Biltwell Gringo S.

Yes, I ordered it from Amazon. But prior to settling on the Gringo, I had ordered and shipped back five other different helmets, knowing I needed to be very picky about fit. Shipping and returning was all included with my Amazon prime perks.

Size matters for sure, and is probably best gauged by an expert at a scooter shop. And I believe in supporting local brick and mortars. But, I really liked the simplicity of the Biltwell and none of our local shops carried them.

So, I watched larrytsg's Jay Leno video, which is very helpful, and I measured my head per the Biltwell size chart instructions. According to the chart, I have a size large head. But in the end, I kept the size small helmet. It squished my cheeks and felt very tight on my head at first, but loosened over time to a snug comfortable fit. It still gives me diamond shapes on my forehead though, from the interior padding, not cute.

I'm a relatively new scooter girl (one year), so take my advice with a grain of salt. But, I felt reassured after reading many reviews of the Biltwell helmets by experienced motorcyclists who had previously worn Shoei, Arai, and Bell brands. Many of them said they preferred the Biltwell.

I believe that you can find something that fulfills both your function and form preferences. Might take a bit of extra monkeying around, but will be worth it. You'll be wearing it every time you ride. Or so I hope Good luck and let us know what you get, both scooter and helmet.

PS: I also own the Biltwell Gringo and have a bubble shield, but I never wear it. I like the flip-up shield much better.

PSS: if you end up getting the Biltwell, you may be tempted to purchase the cool retro looking helmet bag as well. But, just don't. It is a cheap-feeling pleather bag that looks all lopsided after you jam your helmet into the too small, sharp-zippered opening. Like one of those freebie bag-with-make-up-purchase types. Just my observation anyway.
Thanks for the info, how do you store yours? Does it fit under your seat? That would definitely make things easier, but wouldn't be a deal breaker.
Quote:
Lots of good advice here -- especially on the absolute necessity of trying on before buying! -- and this may get too deep in the weeds, but it's worth noting that mo-$$ does not necessarily equal better protection; after a minimal price point and DOT/Snell cert., mo-$$ largely equates with features, comfort/wind-noise and country of production etc.

For example, look how well the standard $100 HJC TR1 (or the discontinued Kabuto Kamui I picked up for $89) rates in comparison to some of the Arai and Shoei products: https://crash.org.au/ratings.php
That's very good to know, thank you.
UTC

Hooked
BV250

Hooked
BV250
UTC quote
One other thing - the European ECE standard is significantly better than DOT so I would consider ECE certified helmets above just DOT. SNELL is still the best but it's at a premium where almost identical helmets without the cert exist.

The point about price is completely true - expensive <> better much like good wine. There are some very good values out there.
@cdwise avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, Buddy 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@cdwise avatar
GTS 300, Buddy 125
UTC quote
Fit is the single most important part of a good helmet. Minimum is DOT compliant though I prefer the ECE standard as it allows lower G Forces to the head in case of an accident. I don't care for Snell since it allows higher G Forces and the testing is more designed for the race track than most people's normal riding especially on a scooter.

As for wearing glasses, my husband and both wear glasses full time (well sons have contacts when they don't feel like wearing his glasses). They swear by modular helmets as being easiest with glasses. I find that the Nolan helmets fit me best so I wear a Nolan N44 which has the largest field of view of any full face helmet out there. It also has a removable chin bar which I occasionally do when it is seriously hot and humid out. You do have to take your glasses off to put it on but with the face shield so big you easily adjust them simply by opening the visor. It also has a double visor with the smaller inner one being tinted so you don't need sunglasses with it. It also has a pinlock which if you plan on riding in cold weather will keep the visor from fogging up.
UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
One or two further points for confusion, er, clarification. Just because you tried on Brand A and you took a medium, doesn't always translate to you also taking a medium in Brand B. I was always an XL in Scorpion helmets. I am size L in Nolan and some other brands.

Be careful shopping at Cycle Gear. I have one of their Sedici brand helmets and it's a Large that fits great, just like Nolan and other brands I've tried.
I recently went back to their store to but a 3/4 helmet. Myself and the salesman both laughed like we were stoned because the size tags on the helmet were all wrong and meant nothing. I did buy a good fitting helmet on that trip, but it was marked size Small!
@kimono32 avatar
UTC

Addicted
'66 Super 150

Addicted
@kimono32 avatar
'66 Super 150
UTC quote
MaryAlex-my scooter is the vintage type, so no pet carrier. I either take my helmet with me if I think theft is likely or just hang the chin strap somewhere on the scoot if it's low risk. Biltwell includes a thin black helmet bag with carrying strap that is functional and inobtrusive.
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
Some say the first things that hit the pavement are your hands, the second is your face. Just saying! Good gloves, full face helmet. Good luck. Any helmet is better than no helmet.
@vespa_auntie avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@vespa_auntie avatar
UTC quote
full face, preferably snell approved, dot approved for sure, must fit your head shape.

try on different brands at a motorcycle or scooter shop for proper fit.

then there are motorcycle sites like revzilla, and cycle gear that carry all brands
@crazycarl avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 250 GTS, 1980 P200E, 2010 ThunderFly 190 (SOLD) 2015 Yamaha SMax

Ossessionato
@crazycarl avatar
2007 250 GTS, 1980 P200E, 2010 ThunderFly 190 (SOLD) 2015 Yamaha SMax
UTC quote
Fit is the most important criteria
As others have stated, finding a brand that fits well and that you'll wear is most important. Find a local retailer that has a good supply of helmets. Full face will offer the greatest level of protection, but the modular/flip-up designs offer great chin protection (I know this 1st hand unfortunately), and can be easier to put on and take off - particularly if you wear glasses or sunglasses.

GMax makes great helmets for around $200 (but don't fit my noggin well)

Nolan is another brand (made in Italy!) that can be had for $250 to $350 and they use nicer level interior materials. I've had 2 Nolans and no complaints.

You can do a ton of research online to help you narrow down your choices. Revzilla has great online product reviews to help you decide on the features you like.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle-helmets

Web Bike World is another great site for more detailed helmet reviews and photos.

https://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmet-reviews/
My Nolan N90 saved my face!
My Nolan N90 saved my face!
@miguelatf avatar
UTC

Hooked
2009 Vespa GTV 250ie

Hooked
@miguelatf avatar
2009 Vespa GTV 250ie
UTC quote
Re: Are these good entry-level helmets?
MaryAlex622 wrote:
Hello! This is my first post here. I'm getting my first Vespa soon. I'm an absolute beginner, I've never even ridden a motorcycle. I wanted to have my helmet already when I pick it up. I don't want anything super fancy as I assume as I get more into all of it I'll probably find a really great helmet I love. For right now, I want it to be safe, legal, comfortable (I wear glasses), have some form of face shield, and preferably fit my style, and hopefully be under about $200. So far, these are what I've narrowed it down to. I'd like to know people's opinion on them and if anyone has them already, what do you think of them?

First up is this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MA4AZ17/?coliid=IQCL6NTWHVW5Y&colid=3EUIO6ZO1LIGX&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Second is this helmet with this shield, the shield seemed good for glasses. I saw someone say they could still fit their hand under to push up their glasses etc:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016P4MOVC/?coliid=I329JMJ6TH0ODW&colid=3EUIO6ZO1LIGX&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JDPPHC4/?coliid=I2OCD9BY4XYLJI&colid=3EUIO6ZO1LIGX&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1&psc=1

Last is this one. I couldn't find any good pictures of what it's like on, but if anyone owns one I'd like to hear about it:

https://www.amazon.com/HCI-Fiberglass-Motorcycle-Helmet-Shield/dp/B00GRHWWR4/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8&coliid=I2NRJYD7B95ZI1&colid=3EUIO6ZO1LIGX
I'll echo what other people have said but with a twist -

I myself have had great success buying good helmets online. The key is to buy from a legitimate seller with a good return or refund policy. One obvious choice is Revzilla - which has the additional benefit of being able to read thoughtful reviews of whatever product you want to buy, written by a bunch of folks who for the most part are real human beings and fellow motor scooter or motorcycle riders. Plus, though I've never actually bought from them myself (though I've come close on one or two occasions), they apparently have a great no-questions-asked return or refund policy. In your case, that would be a 'must' I think, if you are unable to actually try the helmet on.

And, yeah, I know all the smarter and wiser people say "Never buy a lid without trying it on first, blah, blah, blah" - and I know they are all technically right, but - for people like me who live in a small semi-rural town hours and hours and hours away from a larger metropolitan area with real motorcycle or motor scooter or helmet store, most of the time, 'trying it on' is simply not an option. Hence, once again, the importance of buying from a legitimate seller who will allow you to return it - and return the next one - and so on ... until you get it right.

Everyone has different takes on helmets. Of the ones you mentioned, my vote would be for the Biltwell gringo - because a) it looks cool, b) it apparently tests well for safety stuff, c) users tend to overwhelmingly like it, and d) it looks COOL. Incidentally I checked on the Revzilla website and their prices are lower than Amazon's --- yet another (of many) reasons to consider shopping there. (Damn, I sound like I'm doing an advertisement for them and I'm not. But their website and reviews have been helpful to me and many MV'ers speak highly of them.)

One last thought. Like you I am a glasses wearer - and sometimes it's a pain to try to slide your glasses on inside the helmet after you put it on. Putting glasses on first and then putting the helmet on simply doesn't work for quite a few helmets. This is further exacerbated by the fact that helmet fit should be relatively tight although comfortable - loose is bad - and trying to squeeze glasses on inside a tight-fitting helmet is...challenging, with some helmets. My first helmets were full-face with flip-up visors, and it was so irritating trying to shove my glasses on that finally I switched to a modular helmet - one whose entire front flips UP - for easy glasses putting on or taking off - and then flips down to convert the whole thing into the close equivalent of a full face. People like modulars for this reason. My first and only modular was an excellent Schuberth which almost cost as much as the cheap scooter I was riding at the time. It was great with glasses. Years later when I replaced it (which you are supposed to do every once in awhile) I decided not to get another because I wanted more visibility and peripheral vision (two things which full face helmets and heavy-duty modulars do not excel at, comapred to some). My replacement was a semi-modular - the Nolan N44 - which has a heavy duty chin guard that almost makes it like a full-face - but also has an enormous screen with lots of peripheral visibility, a big plus for me. Taking glasses on and off in the Nolan is pretty easy actually so it scored points in that area too. (Here's the Revzilla link to one of the Nolan N44 models they carry - to give you an idea of what this helmet does https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/nolan-n44-evo-fade-helmet )

If I were you, and I'm not - I think I might still lean towards the Biltwell Gringo - but it's good to have the option to be able to return it and exchange it for others if you're not totally happy. And helmet selection is kind of like one's taste in movies --- not everyone likes the same movies, and not everyone likes the same helmets - so the 'best' one for you...is probably the one you wind up liking the most, and figuring that out can be an interesting process.

And what other posters have said is right - investing in a helmet is really important - not just for looks and fit and convenience - but also for its ability to protect the most important part of you. It (the search) is worth putting some energy into.

Good luck - and congrats on your soon-to-be-first Vespa! Please show it - and the helmet - to your fellow MV'ers when it - and they - arrive!
⚠️ Last edited by MiguelATF on UTC; edited 3 times
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring

Ossessionato
@guzzi_gal avatar
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring
UTC quote
MaryAlex, welcome to MV and congrats on your new scoot!

Check out this recent MV helmet thread. You might find something you like.

If I Show You Mine, Will You Show Me Yours?

Now down to the question at hand. I have a tiny noggin and finding an XXS helmet that fits well in stock is difficult so off to the internet I go. Buying via the web has it's issues because you can't try it before you buy it. Start by ordering from a company with a liberal return/exchange policy (Revzilla comes to mind, their customer service dept. is fantastic. Call them even if you don't purchase there.), read the fit reviews (sometimes they run small/large) then order several helmets to try side by side.

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/motorcycle-helmet-fitment-101

If you don't want to watch the video or read the article, I would do the following:

Once you receive your order, check the fit and function of each helmet very closely. The helmets should be snug but not be uncomfortable (padding breaks in and loosens over time). When looking in a mirror, with the chinstrap sinched, grab the helmet like you're plugging your ears and try to move it. Does the skin on your face move but not the helmet? Good! If the helmet slides around (even a little) it's too large. Then try to take it off (strap still cinched) by pulling up and forward. Does it try to slip off or slide down your forehead? If not, good, if so, it's too large. Does the chinstrap rub/dig into your neck when the helmet is fitted low on your forehead (padding just above the brow)? Lastly, watch TV, vacuum, walk around the house, go for a ride (try not to remove tags), do whatever it takes to make sure it's right for your head.

Return everything that doesn't fit properly, no matter how much you like them. You can always order another size or brand but you can't order a new brain. Razz emoticon

Last but not least, if you haven't taken a training course yet, sign up for one ASAP! It could save your life and will reduce your insurance costs.

ENJOY!
⚠️ Last edited by Guzzi Gal on UTC; edited 1 time
@cdwise avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, Buddy 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@cdwise avatar
GTS 300, Buddy 125
UTC quote
Re: Fit is the most important criteria
CrazyCarl wrote:
As others have stated, finding a brand that fits well and that you'll wear is most important. Find a local retailer that has a good supply of helmets. Full face will offer the greatest level of protection, but the modular/flip-up designs offer great chin protection (I know this 1st hand unfortunately), and can be easier to put on and take off - particularly if you wear glasses or sunglasses.

GMax makes great helmets for around $200 (but don't fit my noggin well)

Nolan is another brand (made in Italy!) that can be had for $250 to $350 and they use nicer level interior materials. I've had 2 Nolans and no complaints.
You can often find Nolan helmets on sale for under $200. Maybe not the N44 but some of their other models. Nice thing about Nolan is their fit is consistent cross models so IF they fit you it is possible to buy online other models.
Over the years I've owned 5 different Nolan models N42, N43, N44, N20 and N30. The last two are 3/4 which I use in the summer for short low speed trips (think coffee, post office, grocery store) are all good for wearing with glasses. For anything I expect to go over 40mph I wear the convertible N44 (which replaced the earlier n4x I had)
@sacto_monkeyboy avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 Super

Addicted
@sacto_monkeyboy avatar
GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
As of yet, I've ONLY had Scorpion helmets. I tried my first one on at the shop where I bought my first scooter. I've ordered them online since as I know how they fit and it's been a decent helmet for me.

I am using the 3/4 helmet right now and looking for a full face. Again, I know the Scorpion and that would be an easy online purchase. BUT, the look of those Bitwell Gringo's have caught my eye and the price point is within my budget.

I can only reiterate the advice to go to a local shop, try some one and purchase there. Then down the road, like me if you need/want a replacement start purchasing online.
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150
UTC quote
zigzagguzzi wrote:
Some say the first things that hit the pavement are your hands, the second is your face. Just saying! Good gloves, full face helmet. Good luck. Any helmet is better than no helmet.
Been down on the dirt a lot, really hard twice, face first both times. Thank GOD for my old Bell Moto 4
⚠️ Last edited by WEB-Tech on UTC; edited 1 time
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
Yup!
@rrider avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)

Ossessionato
@rrider avatar
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
UTC quote
Around here it's said that a new rider should consider at least these 2 things when choosing a helmet:

1) don't buy too big helmet.

Many great tips above for finding a good match. Not too small either. A helmet should never hurt you. When I'm sure I've found a good fit, I just simply keep the helmet on for awhile - no matter how stupid this feels....especially if you're at a store. I walk around 10-15 min. If my forehead starts to feel unfomfortable, I've chosen a too small size. If not, and the helmet feels otherwise snug, I'm likely to have a good match.

2 ) don't buy an open face helmet.

Sad as it is, statistically a new rider is more likely to go down than an experienced one. Especially at low speeds. With an open face helmet, hitting road face first can make bad results even at low speeds. Whereas a full face/modular/something with a chin bar protects much better.

Sooo.....this would make me to point to your full face option & engourage to explore even more models, if possible, just to get to know how various helmets feel.
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
welcome to MV MaryAlex, first question I have for you never owning a scooter before have you taken a MSF class yet? If not I highly RECOMMENd you do so.

They will teach you good habits and educate you on gear and a bunch of stuff that takes beginners years to learn. Yu will be way ahead of the learning curve.
UTC

Hooked
BV250

Hooked
BV250
UTC quote
Just noticed your getting the Yacht Club edition?

In the words of Farley - that is AWESOME!

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
UTC quote
Three important things have come up in this thread. 1) pick a helmet which fits you comfortably and protects your face (like cdwise, I like the Nolan N43/44), 2) wear good gloves, 3) take an MSF course.
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC quote
A white helmet is best for visibility. Besides, it would look great with a Yacht Club!
@irieman avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTV 300, [GTV 250], [CB500F], SG250, MINI R59

Addicted
@irieman avatar
GTV 300, [GTV 250], [CB500F], SG250, MINI R59
UTC quote
Late to the thread- not much to add that hasn't already been said except for moral support: My first helmet- Purchased one week before my first bike BTW- Was a heavy, loud, full-face $80 HJC from a local shop. As my first helmet I did not consider it heavy nor loud. It served me well for a good 2 years before I got and even cheaper *brand*name*redacted helmet! The HJC is still my "winter helmet".

Having some time before your new baby comes it, I agree that you should use the time to try on as many helmets as you can before you actually need one.

Also, please post a pic when Lil Yatchy comes in!
OP
@maryalex622 avatar
UTC

Lurker

Lurker
@maryalex622 avatar
UTC quote
Thanks for all the great replies everybody.
old as dirt wrote:
welcome to MV MaryAlex, first question I have for you never owning a scooter before have you taken a MSF class yet? If not I highly RECOMMENd you do so.

They will teach you good habits and educate you on gear and a bunch of stuff that takes beginners years to learn. Yu will be way ahead of the learning curve.
I'm planning on doing it ASAP.
Quote:

Thank you!
Quote:
I definitely will! I've been told by the dealership that it should be in by the end of the month, but they'll call me when they know the exact day. I've already picked out a name too: Jude.
UTC

Hooked
GTS 300 Touring

Hooked
GTS 300 Touring
UTC quote
Subject to all the correct fitting, HJC make very very nice helmets at reasonable prices. They are not cheap, just great value.
@cdwise avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, Buddy 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@cdwise avatar
GTS 300, Buddy 125
UTC quote
BTW, you don't have to wait for your scooter to arrive to take the MSF course. They will provide bikes, usually small motorcycles but it never hurts to learn to shift. Some do have scooters as well. Better to use theirs if at all possible because while you are learning the odds of dropping the bike are higher than for someone with experience.

Take it while you are waiting for your new scoot to arrive, and congratulations on your upcoming arrival.
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
MaryAlex622 wrote:
Thanks for all the great replies everybody.
old as dirt wrote:

I'm planning on doing it ASAP.
Quote:

Thank you!
Quote:
I definitely will! I've been told by the dealership that it should be in by the end of the month, but they'll call me when they know the exact day. I've already picked out a name too: Jude.
just reread your first post and seeing your a true beginner , DON'T ride it till you take a class. have someone pick it up and deliver it. Beginners never riding before it not good as this usually ends up with you damaging the scoot and your self, then you get scared of it. TAKE A CLASS FIRST. Its a controlled environment and the instructors KNOW what they are talking about and can properly teach you. I am a former MSF instructor and have taught MANY brand new riders whom have never even rode a bicycle let alone a motorcycle. Those students always did very well in the class and passed. The students that always had issues were thrones who came in and KNEW how to ride and some even failed because they KNEW what they were doing.

The instructors teach you on how a helmet should fit, what to look for in a helmet, jackets, gloves, foot protection, ect.
They teach you how to control your machine not the machine control you.

Please take a class first
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC quote
^^^ +1 ! What cdwise and old as dirt said. 8)
@larrytsg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1979 P200e

Ossessionato
@larrytsg avatar
1979 P200e
UTC quote
Yeah, take the class on THEIR bike. Even if it's not a scooter (and, oh my, you'll have to shift!), it's so nice to drop THEIR bike in the class and laugh along with your classmates as you're picking it up. Look, there's the dent I put in THEIR bike, I should get out a sharpie and sign it!

Seriously, there's nothing like scratching or denting a brand new scooter to dampen your enthusiasm for riding. It's why we often see 5, 10, or 45 year old scooters with less than 200 miles on them sitting unused in the back of someone's garage, or for sale.

And there's nothing that will replace the weekend of instruction that MSF gets you.
@bob_copeland avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2022 Kymco AK 550

Ossessionato
@bob_copeland avatar
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2022 Kymco AK 550
UTC quote
Routine Exceptional Advise
MaryAlex622,

My two cents about Helmets and Rookie Riders;

1. I wear a black lite cotton helmet liner sometimes referred to as
a skull cap. It keeps your helmet clean and allows a smooth flow
over your ears when you put your helmet on. Amazon has them
$7-$15. I like the lite cotton for all weather riding. If you use one
you will get spoiled and like it. Side Bar: Each to his/her own, some
will not like it.

2. I also use a pull string tie to hold my glasses in place so I do not
have to continually be pushing up my glasses while riding. I put on
my sunglasses, pull them tight on the pull string in the back of my
head - I then put the lite cotton skull cap on - covers my ears and
allow the helmet to flow on smooth over the ears not disturbing the
glasses. Works for me.

3. Rookie Riders take curves to fast, lose control, crash their scoots,
get scared and never ride again.

So go slow young Jedi.

Bullwinkle J Moose
Frost Bite Falls Minnesota
MaryAlex - Good Luck - you will love scooteing
MaryAlex - Good Luck - you will love scooteing
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0301s ][ Queries: 5 (0.0052s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]