@qascooter avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
79 P200E (Ruby), 62 Allstate (B-62)

Ossessionato
@qascooter avatar
UTC quote
Has anybody tried one of these? I'm looking at getting a CHT and it'd be nice to know what I'm revving the engine to. I almost bought a Trailtech CHT but this one is $5 more for a tach included. Hmmm.

https://www.amazon.com/SEARON-Tachometer-Temperature-Motorcycles-Lawnmowers/dp/B01COW8NGE/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1534901695&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=searon+tach+hour+temp

Anybody using a combo unit out there? If so, what brand / kind?

Thank you!
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella, 66 Smallstate, 79 P200E, 66 Lammy S3

39 Days Since Last Explosion

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
I run both tach & temp and would not want to have to pick either/or due to only having a single display, and it's not like you're going to be swapping between them on the fly.
OP
@qascooter avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@qascooter avatar
UTC quote
chandlerman wrote:
I run both tach & temp and would not want to have to pick either/or due to only having a single display, and it's not like you're going to be swapping between them on the fly.
Good point! I didn't even think about that. I'd definitely want to see both and it'd be way too difficult to change screens while riding. What gauges are you using?
UTC

parallelogramerist

parallelogramerist
UTC quote
A tach is handy for setting up the engine, but once it's dial in, I haven't really seen a constant need for it. If I bought that gauge, I'm guessing that 98% of the time I would have it scrolled over to the temp display.
I have tuned T5 with a Trailtech tach, and I find that I rarely look at the RPMs.

So does that gauge have a backlit display for night riding?

EDIT: it does have a backlit display!
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
I run Trailtech for both Tach & Temp, but also a Koso temp gauge which has a sensor tapped into the cylinder head. Eventually, I'll drop down to one, but that day hasn't arrived yet.

Also, while the Koso has a nice large display and a backlight powered off the 12v DC, it's powered by a CR2032 battery, which likes to die at the most inconvenient times, so the Trailtech is there as a backup for when that happens, too.

The red lighting is a small LED map light that I wired to the pilot light circuit. In the winter here, it's necessary because it's dark about 99% of the time.

In this photo, I had both the trail tech ring sensor & the Koso to compare their readings. The Koso read consistently about 5-10 degrees cooler, btw.

I use the tach for a number of things on an ongoing basis. It's as a sanity check of my speedometer. I know my speed at given RPM's because the speedo gets increasingly inaccurate past about 50 MPH.

If the engine doesn't kick over right away, it tells me if I have spark or not. It makes idle adjustments and checking timing with a variable timing igntion dead easy.

I also ran a dual CHT/Tach analog gauge for ultralight's for a while and liked the analog readings, but it eventually died and it was kind've pricey (~$75 plus shipping, iirc), so I never replaced it.
Yes, it was really 12f when I took this picture before riding to work.  The Koso only reads down to 32f.  The Trailtech reads to zero.  Guess how I know.
Yes, it was really 12f when I took this picture before riding to work. The Koso only reads down to 32f. The Trailtech reads to zero. Guess how I know.
OP
@qascooter avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@qascooter avatar
UTC quote
chandlerman wrote:
I run Trailtech for both Tach & Temp, but also a Koso temp gauge which has a sensor tapped into the cylinder head. Eventually, I'll drop down to one, but that day hasn't arrived yet.
Thanks for the explanation on how you use them and the picture. I can see I'll want separate readouts so no need to wait for one or the other. I'll hook up the CHT first.

And I'm liking your night light - good one!

Thanks again!
⚠️ Last edited by qascooter on UTC; edited 1 time
UTC

parallelogramerist

parallelogramerist
UTC quote
I've been thinking about getting a couple of the Trailtech TTO gauges on my PX, but it seems like just buying their Striker or Vapor computer would be a better (simpler and cleaner) idea. They both have tripometers, so that would be kinda cool for checking fuel mileage as well as for road trip distances. The Vapor would be a backlit screen that would have RPMs, temp, and speed, all on at the same time. The Striker doesn't have a tach, but instead it has a volt meter. A volt meter it more important for me compared to a tach, because of all of the electric draw I have on my PX. I don't really need the extra speedometer because I recalibrated my PX speedo with a GPS, but it is a welcome addition.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0122s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0033s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]