OP
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up
UTC quote
So the J.Costa is in. Cold, wet and rainy day here though so not much of a chance to really test it. Still took it for a bit of a spin on Lakeshore Blvd and the acceleration seems smoother and the scoot definitely feels different. I'll post more when I get to take it out for a real run on the (dry) highway and some of the longer on ramps to really test acceleration.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@duane1 avatar
UTC

Addicted
2005 et4

Addicted
@duane1 avatar
2005 et4
UTC quote
Quote:
there's a 218cc liquid cooled top end kit out there that will bolt right on
Where can we find that piece of engineering magic?
OP
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
UTC quote
A little update.

Sunday and Monday were my first days out where I got to open things up since adding the J. Costa. Acceleration I feel is better but there can be a very slight pause before it really kicks in. Where I find this setup really shines is on the highway. Great acceleration at faster speeds and yesterday I slipped in behind a few cars in the fast lane and the next thing I know I was doing 155 kph before I decided a ticket was probably not something I wanted as this was in the afternoon in the city. The thing is I didn't even realize I was going that fast and there was lots of room left on the throttle. No wind and about zero c so I suppose ideal conditions for the engine and scoot.

At the end of the day if you want more top end and confidence for freeway/rural 2 lane highway riding the Malossi kit is a great upgrade. Plenty of acceleration for passing and keeping up is not an issue.
UTC

Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'

Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
UTC quote
This is great info Harbinger. Cool! Thanks for posting about it. Have fun...
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
UTC quote
duane1 wrote:
Quote:
there's a 218cc liquid cooled top end kit out there that will bolt right on
Where can we find that piece of engineering magic?
Malossi makes a 218cc top end kit for liquid cooled Leader engines, but I believe that is really intended for the GT or the 125 GTS scooter. To use it on an ET4, I presume you would need to do some conversion work.
OP
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
UTC quote
Finally got a GoPro with helmet mount. The Hero 7 silver which has a built in GPS. So I should be able to post some GPS speeds soon depending on weather and riding conditions of course. Looking forward to playing with the GoPro.

Anyone here have one? Thoughts?
@mike_holland avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS300 Super 2015 Blue, GTS300 Super 2023 Beige

Ossessionato
@mike_holland avatar
GTS300 Super 2015 Blue, GTS300 Super 2023 Beige
UTC quote
I recently decided to replace the 12.5 gram sliders in my variator, and went the whole hog and installed a J.Costa variator. The instructions say to keep using whatever washer is in the standard variator, so I left a 1 mm washer in. The result was that the variator scraped on the transmission housing. I then switched to a 0.5 mm washer, and that solved the problem.

But then I had an irritating roller rattle at idle, and i fixed it by installing a GT200 belt. I had had this belt lying around for some months, planning to experiment with it. The belt is slightly shorter, and sits deeper in the variator at idle, taking up any slack in the variator. It also means that I get a lower "low gear" at take-off, and less chance of the belt rubbing on the transmission housing. So it is a win-win-win solution.

Mike
@rrider avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)

Ossessionato
@rrider avatar
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
UTC quote
Harbinger wrote:
Finally got a GoPro with helmet mount. The Hero 7 silver which has a built in GPS. So I should be able to post some GPS speeds soon depending on weather and riding conditions of course. Looking forward to playing with the GoPro.

Anyone here have one? Thoughts?
I've had GoPro 5 now for sometime already. With the GPS on, it does enable speed tracking and one can dig this info out when watching/editing clips with GoPro's laptop software - probably also with the mobile software, I just don't use it much.

I'm not personally interested about the speed tracking, so I've just tested it, not really seriously used.

In general, I like GoPro video quality. I don't like the high memory consumption/short record time with the highest vid quality. I'm also no fan of GoPro's own software tools, but that's not a big issue.

The 5 is quite poor on sound recording, but I guess that's understandable with this kind of water proof action camera.
⬆️    About 3 months elapsed    ⬇️
OP
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
UTC quote
OK.

So she gets the City Grips put back on tomorrow and I have the GoPro now.

In the next few weeks I should be able to post some real word performance results. I've been on the BMW since Jan so will need to get used to the lighter Vespa again and she may need a little time to loosen up.

Soon though we should have some real world results on how much a difference a Malossi kit and the other upgrades make. VERY curious to see how it performs against an HPE. Should be fun....
⬆️    About 1 month elapsed    ⬇️
UTC

Lurker
Vespa 250 GTV

Lurker
Vespa 250 GTV
UTC quote
Vespa GEL solo seat for sale
Hello,
If anyone is looking for a nice upgrade to your 250 or 300 cc Vespa, I have a made in Italy Vespa Gel Solo seat in flawless condition. U can see the pics at Kalamazoo Craigslist or feel free to private message me. I sold my Vespa and I had it only for only 400 miles. It's super comfy and flawless!!! Thanks for reading!
OP
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
UTC quote
Re: Vespa GEL solo seat for sale
Pumpkinman wrote:
Hello,
If anyone is looking for a nice upgrade to your 250 or 300 cc Vespa, I have a made in Italy Vespa Gel Solo seat in flawless condition. U can see the pics at Kalamazoo Craigslist or feel free to private message me. I sold my Vespa and I had it only for only 400 miles. It's super comfy and flawless!!! Thanks for reading!
There is a for sale section on the site, post there please. This thread is about performance upgrades not a comfy bum.
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT
UTC quote
Harbinger wrote:
Pumpkinman wrote:
Hello,
There is a for sale section on the site, post there please. This thread is about performance upgrades not a comfy bum.

I just don't understand it how someone signs up for a forum like this, then makes a first post years later.
OP
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
UTC quote
Madison Sully wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
Pumpkinman wrote:
Hello,

I just don't understand it how someone signs up for a forum like this, then makes a first post years later.
At least they apologized for their mistake :-\

I see it in the "for sale" section now. I wouldn't buy it, the seller seems a bit off. I'd at least say sorry and then post in the correct section of the site. That would be fine and forgivable.
⬆️    About 3 years elapsed    ⬇️
UTC

Enthusiast
300GTS Supertech & 300GTS Touring

Enthusiast
UTC quote
Just reviving this old thread - hoping to hear how things worked out for Harbinger and his modded GTS. Does anyone know?
OP
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
UTC quote
twelvecylinders wrote:
Just reviving this old thread - hoping to hear how things worked out for Harbinger and his modded GTS. Does anyone know?
Oh it was awesome, loved the scoot until an Uber driver plowed in to me as who needs to check mirrors and blind spots when you might overshoot your Uber pickup?

Anyway the scoot was written off and me less written off. The Malossi kit with Forcemaster 2 performed very well as did all the other bit. I could hit about 100 MPH and the pickup was excellent. I have an HPE now and honestly it's pretty close with the big difference being the governor on the HPE. Miles of smiles for sure from my old girl. I had a K1600GT Sport which I just traded in for an R1250 GSA and while the Vespa was nowhere near as fast as the BMW the joy of twisting the throttle was all there. If you have a pre HPE Vespa and some coin the mods are worth it.

I've added a carbon Remus and Bitubos front and rear to the new scoot but that's it.
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
UTC quote
Hello Harbinger...I'm very sorry to hear about the Uber driver taking out your scooter - glad you recovered and are okay! I do have an HPE and am impressed with the power, but I do want to increase the top end...so I will likely replace the tone wheel at some point.
OP
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
UTC quote
twelvecylinders wrote:
Hello Harbinger...I'm very sorry to hear about the Uber driver taking out your scooter - glad you recovered and are okay! I do have an HPE and am impressed with the power, but I do want to increase the top end...so I will likely replace the tone wheel at some point.
Let us know how it goes please as I would also be interested as would others. I may take advantage of our having an amazing Piaggio dealer in Toronto and do a few performance upgrades before the move to Vancouver Island next year.

You really don't hear too much about upgrades on the HPEs but I imagine there should be more options as time goes on.
⬆️    About 1 month elapsed    ⬇️
UTC

Lurker
'12 GTS 300

Lurker
'12 GTS 300
UTC quote
All said and done, if you had it to do all over again would you change anything....regarding performance upgrades? Would you consider a different variator or perhaps the Polini cylinder kit with the Molossi head?
You mentioned that the GTS really shined on the hwy but was it much faster out of the gate as well?
I'm about to tune my '12 GTS. I've been researching mods for some time now and I feel fairly ready to pull the trigger and start the process.
Any further thoughts from you and/or others would be truly appreciated. I mostly whip around the city but find myself on the hwy once a week. Definitely want the passing power at 65 mph but I'm also interested in stop light power.
UTC

Lurker
'12 GTS 300

Lurker
'12 GTS 300
UTC quote
BTW-Hello to all . This is my first post.
Been reading many of your threads for a couple of years and I have certainly appreciated the extensive level of knowledge and experience at my disposal here on MV.
@touring300 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS 300ie Touring 2013 - Signora D'argento

Ossessionato
@touring300 avatar
UTC quote
Vrooom wrote:
Definitely want the passing power at 65 mph but I'm also interested in stop light power.
Welcome to MV Vrooom. You can tweek with the weight of the rollers (the cheapest upgrade), but TBH the GTS is already quick off the line and most riders can get the 300 above 70 mph under normal conditions.
OP
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
UTC quote
Vrooom wrote:
All said and done, if you had it to do all over again would you change anything....regarding performance upgrades? Would you consider a different variator or perhaps the Polini cylinder kit with the Molossi head?
You mentioned that the GTS really shined on the hwy but was it much faster out of the gate as well?
I'm about to tune my '12 GTS. I've been researching mods for some time now and I feel fairly ready to pull the trigger and start the process.
Any further thoughts from you and/or others would be truly appreciated. I mostly whip around the city but find myself on the hwy once a week. Definitely want the passing power at 65 mph but I'm also interested in stop light power.
Off the line I'd say about on par with the HPE. There would be a very slight delay after twisting the throttle and then it would kick in. So it would pull away at "normal" speed for about a second and then really kick in.

I don't think I would change anything. Lou, the owner of Vespa Toronto picked everything out of for me and knew cost was not a factor.

On the highway 140 kmh (85 mph) was it's happy place and it could cruise at that all day with room left on the throttle if you needed more speed.
@amateriat avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)

Ossessionato
@amateriat avatar
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)
UTC quote
Harbinger wrote:
Let us know how it goes please as I would also be interested as would others. I may take advantage of our having an amazing Piaggio dealer in Toronto and do a few performance upgrades before the move to Vancouver Island next year.

You really don't hear too much about upgrades on the HPEs but I imagine there should be more options as time goes on.
One thing I'm learning with the HPE is to give the thing time…with just a hair over 1300 miles on the clock I can still sense the engine opening up more and more. Off-the-line performance is pretty much all I can ask for within reason, and yes, I did switch out the stock rear tone ring for the aftermarket version; highest I've had the bike at is 80mph, but as I said, the bike's very young.
@touring300 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@touring300 avatar
UTC quote
amateriat wrote:
One thing I'm learning with the HPE is to give the thing time…with just a hair over 1300 miles on the clock I can still sense the engine opening up more and more. Off-the-line performance is pretty much all I can ask for within reason, and yes, I did switch out the stock rear tone ring for the aftermarket version; highest I've had the bike at is 80mph, but as I said, the bike's very young.
A new engine is not fully bedded-in until at least 4,000~6,000 miles, so expect to see small incremental increases in speed and performance for sometime yet to come.
UTC

Lurker
'12 GTS 300

Lurker
'12 GTS 300
UTC quote
Harbinger, did you have an aftermarket cam along with your performance mods. Did this come up in conversation with Lou? Any idea, how this would effect low end torque and long term dependability?
I've done the fuzzy washer and 13g Dr. Pulley sliders on my GTS and it really made a big difference. Quicker off the line and I get 85mph quite readily (GPS mph).
I'm still wondering if spending $2500 is really going to be worth it.
At moments I can't wait to get rolling and others I'm scratching my head and wondering if a little quicker off the line and 10mph top end is worth the money.
Perhaps I'm beating a dead horse but any other input or perspective would be greatly appreciated!
OP
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
UTC quote
Vrooom wrote:
Harbinger, did you have an aftermarket cam along with your performance mods. Did this come up in conversation with Lou? Any idea, how this would effect low end torque and long term dependability?
I've done the fuzzy washer and 13g Dr. Pulley sliders on my GTS and it really made a big difference. Quicker off the line and I get 85mph quite readily (GPS mph).
I'm still wondering if spending $2500 is really going to be worth it.
At moments I can't wait to get rolling and others I'm scratching my head and wondering if a little quicker off the line and 10mph top end is worth the money.
Perhaps I'm beating a dead horse but any other input or perspective would be greatly appreciated!
Did not do the cam BUT after losing at them online now hell yeah I would have. I went with the same pulley sliders and yes they make a noticeable difference. Yeah it's a good chunk of change but a lot of fun if you can afford it. I liked the ability to hold 85 mph with some room left over just in case I had to get out of the way. My current HPE I put Bitubos on front and rear and a Remus carbon exhaust. Upgrading the shocks is not something that should be overlooked especially if you are going to go fast. Expensive? yes but well worth it as you feel much more planted at speed. I am probably looking at upgrading a few things before I move out to Vancouver Island as I will not have access to Lou out there. Right now I have to break in the GSA 1250 while I have access to a Motorrad dealer close.
UTC

Lurker
'12 GTS 300

Lurker
'12 GTS 300
UTC quote
Thanks so much for all the input and walking us all through your Vespa journey! All the best on the Island. That's going to be quite a change of speeds!!! From Toronto to Vancouver Island, I think that's the equivalent of getting off your GSA 1250 and onto your Vespa. It's definately going to take you a while to slow the cells down to their pace. Your riding season is going to increase to year round...mostly.
BTW-Totally agree with the value of suspension mods. I've done bushings and malossi shock in front and will definitely be doing the same for the back, though not likely this year.

All the best and again, thanks.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0279s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0122s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]