OP
UTC

VBB2T '65 vespa 150

VBB2T '65 vespa 150
UTC quote
I have a VBB2T Vespa 150 that i cannot get started. Well i take that back. It ran for about 5 minutes, then sputtered and died. After that i cannot get it started again. I have good gas flow, and compression, so i am thinking my issue is spark. I have replaced the flywheel, stator, and ignition coil. All with no luck. I am no expert, and i am looking to see if anyone might be able to suggest something that might help. It is a kick start model that will not start. I am guessing i am missing something but i cannot figure it out. PLEASE HELP!!!

Thanks so much in advance,
Ryan J
@ph0ngvu avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa

Hooked
@ph0ngvu avatar
Vespa
UTC quote
It's either your timing is totally off or gas issue.

Did you check the sparkplug after tons of failed kicks? if the sparkplug is dry then there is not enough gas in the cylinder.

Did you also test for spark on test kick with sparkplug outside near any metal area?
OP
UTC

VBB2T '65 vespa 150

VBB2T '65 vespa 150
UTC quote
I have checked for that. There is fuel getting to the plug for sure. The plug is wet. And i have tried the spark test and i cannot see any spark when turning the motor over.
UTC

V50 P150 PX200

V50 P150 PX200
UTC quote
Kill wire shorting somewhere in chassis?

After that new condenser and points.
OP
UTC

VBB2T '65 vespa 150

VBB2T '65 vespa 150
UTC quote
I am unsure about the kill wire. I do know that I tried bypassing the kill switch to see it that was an issue but that didnt seem to work either. I have a brand new stator in the bike. Could the points and the condensor be bad already? I just received the part today and put it in.
UTC

V50 P150 PX200

V50 P150 PX200
UTC quote
Unlikely

Did you check the points gap?

How did you bypass kill switch?
@ph0ngvu avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa

Hooked
@ph0ngvu avatar
Vespa
UTC quote
it's not impossible to get a defected stator.
OP
UTC

VBB2T '65 vespa 150

VBB2T '65 vespa 150
UTC quote
Thats what i was thinking as well. So i bought a second one and tried that. Still no luck.

I bypassed the kill wire by unhooking it from the junction box.
@fatamy avatar
UTC

Hooked
59" Allstate

Hooked
@fatamy avatar
59" Allstate
UTC quote
ScooterPokes wrote:
I have checked for that. There is fuel getting to the plug for sure. The plug is wet. And i have tried the spark test and i cannot see any spark when turning the motor over.
IF there no spark you have something grounded out, A bad coil or a stator issue. If the timing was way off you would still see spark when checking it but it would be firing at the wrong time, so i don't think its that. I've have read where sometimes there is too much of a gap between the coils on the stator and the flywheel of aftermarket parts.

What is the point gap ? set it about .014

Is the metal end on the plug wire attached well

Is the flywheel magnetized ?

Why did you replace the stator and flywheel ?

When is the last time YOU saw the bike run ?
UTC

V50 P150 PX200

V50 P150 PX200
UTC quote
Is this the wiring diagram for your bike?

https://www.scooterhelp.com/electrics/wiring/VBB2_VLA1.pdf
OP
UTC

VBB2T '65 vespa 150

VBB2T '65 vespa 150
UTC quote
What is the point gap ? set it about .014
I am unsure what the gap is. It is default from the packaging.

Is the metal end on the plug wire attached well
I believe so. It is a twist in kind of boot.

Is the flywheel magnetized ? Why did you replace the stator and flywheel ?
It is. As was the old one. The only reason i replaced the flywheel was it iseemed like the next logical step. I am hardly an expert so i may have made a wrong decision on that part of the process. The stator was in really bad shape. One of the coils is loose and the oiler was disintegrated. So i replaced that part.

When is the last time YOU saw the bike run ?
When we bought the bike the guy we bought it from said it ran but there was a fuel leak and he didnt want to deal with it. So i was able to correct that issue with a new fuel tap because we found out the bike had not run in about a year and a half. The fuel switch was broken on it and the tap had so much sediment in it that i just bought a new one. Once that was fixed, i did get it started and actually rode the bike for about 5-10 minutes when it sputtered out and died when i was trying to see how fast i could go on it. It happened while it was shifting into third gear. It has not run since then, about 2-3 months. I have been beating my head against the wall ever since just trying different things.
OP
UTC

VBB2T '65 vespa 150

VBB2T '65 vespa 150
UTC quote
And yes that is the correct wiring diagram. At least i think so. Thats the one i keep finding.
UTC

V50 P150 PX200

V50 P150 PX200
UTC quote
What resistance reading do you get across the read and black terminals of the ignition coil? (ohms)

Slowly rotate the flywheel and you should see it change as the points open and close. What are the maximum and minimum readings? (ohms)

Relying on the points setting straight out of the packaging without actually measuring it and setting it is foolhardy.

Here is a link to setting the points and timing.

https://www.scooterhelp.com/tips/timing/points.timing.html
@fatamy avatar
UTC

Hooked
59" Allstate

Hooked
@fatamy avatar
59" Allstate
UTC quote
Are you saying the points were attached to the new stator plate & you took the assembly out of the packaging and installed it ? If so, go back and check / set the point gap to .014 . There is really no way to set the point gap without the cam on the flywheel in place to open and close the points. Also visually check that the points are opening and closing thru the little window in the flywheel, you should be able to rock the flywheel back and forth and see some movement, if you can't get them adjusted and theres no movement check to see that the plastic glide is still on the lower arm of the points, I've seen these fall off. The quality of some replacement point sets is poor.

If all this fails, remove the flywheel and send us some detailed pictures.
@ph0ngvu avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa

Hooked
@ph0ngvu avatar
Vespa
UTC quote
FatAmy wrote:
Are you saying the points were attached to the new stator plate & you took the assembly out of the packaging and installed it ? If so, go back and check / set the point gap to .014 . There is really no way to set the point gap without the cam on the flywheel in place to open and close the points. Also visually check that the points are opening and closing thru the little window in the flywheel, you should be able to rock the flywheel back and forth and see some movement, if you can't get them adjusted and theres no movement check to see that the plastic glide is still on the lower arm of the points, I've seen these fall off. The quality of some replacement point sets is poor.

If all this fails, remove the flywheel and send us some detailed pictures.
+1 on closeup picture as well.
@mickeyfan1 avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
1965 VBB/2005 Stella

Enthusiast
@mickeyfan1 avatar
1965 VBB/2005 Stella
UTC quote
I have the same model VBB. I went through just what you are describing. New coil, new flywheel, new stator, new points, new plug. I did have spark but it somehow seemed weak.
It was not uncommon to kick this thing 300 times to get it started. It would run once started but after kicking it that many times I had no desire to ride much.
I solved all starting issues. The bike now is a 3 kick maximum starting Vespa. The fix..... I converted it to a CDI 12 volt regulated system. That did the trick. Better performance, better lighting and above all it starts every time usually with 2 to 3 kick. Sometimes just the one is needed.
I wish I had done it a long time ago.
I sat all winter and in the spring it started in 3 kicks. Love it.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0122s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0018s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]