@larrymk avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa Super 300

Molto Verboso
@larrymk avatar
Vespa Super 300
UTC quote
So I just saw that John McCain died. He had just recently decided to stop hie treatments from a brain tumor, a glioblastoma, a very aggressive and malignant brain cancer. So very sad. Accept that I am a Democrat, but I had the most respect for John McCain, he was an America hero and a very classy politician(which unfortunately does not happen too often). He will be missed so much in American politics. RIP Senator McCain you will be sadly missed.

larry
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
UTC quote
John McCain was a fine man, and served his Country effectively in many ways. I do not even belong to his political party, but respect where respect is due.
@budz avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS 300 Super ABS/ASR (sold), BV 350 ABS/ASR (crashed)

Molto Verboso
@budz avatar
GTS 300 Super ABS/ASR (sold), BV 350 ABS/ASR (crashed)
UTC quote
He was a great American and an American hero, among the best in the nation.
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
'07 LX150 (Sold), '17 GTS300, '16 BV350, '15 EN650, '09 FXDF (sold). '15 FLSTN

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@jet_peddler avatar
'07 LX150 (Sold), '17 GTS300, '16 BV350, '15 EN650, '09 FXDF (sold). '15 FLSTN
UTC quote
Budz wrote:
He was a great American and an American hero, among the best in the nation.
Like or dislike his politics, he was indeed a true hero. May God bless John McCain and his family.
@doorbuster avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2007 Piaggio BV 250

Molto Verboso
@doorbuster avatar
2007 Piaggio BV 250
UTC quote
Fair Winds and Following Seas.
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
UTC quote
RIP Senator McCain.

I've admired his personal history, heroism and dedication to country. I've loved his positions enough at times to want to thank him personally, conversely sometimes been maddened by his failure to take a position when he should, but that's politics. Sadly he's one of the few remaining old-school Republicans-as I feel we need good people on both sides of the aisle, his absence will be a tremendous loss to all of us.
⚠️ Last edited by fledermaus on UTC; edited 1 time
UTC

Banned
2009 GTS 250, 2013 Buddy 125, 2014 Triumph Bonneville

Banned
UTC quote
Very well said, fledermaus. I couldn't agree more. A sad evening.
@nautiker avatar
UTC

Addicted
'14 Piaggio BV 350

Addicted
@nautiker avatar
'14 Piaggio BV 350
UTC quote
fledermaus wrote:
RIP Senator McCain.

I've admired his personal history, heroism and dedication to country. I've loved his positions enough at times to want to thank him personally, conversely sometimes been maddened by his failure to take a position when he should, but that's politics. Sadly he's one of the few remaining old-school Republicans-as I feel we need good people on both sides of the aisle, his absence will be a tremendous loss to all of us.
This is very well-said, and sums up my feeling about Sen/Capt McCain... Without doubt a true hero, occasionally maddening in his political lapses (from my perspective). A well-lived life, and one to be proud of...
UTC

Addicted
2022 Honda PCX 150A, 2018 GTS300 [sold] & 2015 GTS300 Super [sold]

Addicted
UTC quote
It's a sad day for our country. The maverick John McCain wasn't afraid to do what he believed was right. When offered early release from a Vietnamese prison camp (because his father was a Navy admiral), McCain refused the offer because it conflicted with the code of conduct requiring those captured first to be released first. As a senator, McCain was willing to reach across the aisle and work with Democrats in the interests of our country.
@sdg avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
63 GS160 MK1 / GT60 / Sean Wotherspoon

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@sdg avatar
UTC quote
Very sad day for the USA.

John McCain was a warrior, a leader with uncanny integrity and truly is and will always be American royalty.

We are safer because of him, and I'm grateful for him.

God Speed Senator.

SDG
@syd avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS300 Super (Heinz) GTS250 Super (Bulger)

Ossessionato
@syd avatar
GTS300 Super (Heinz) GTS250 Super (Bulger)
UTC quote
The Republican party in Arizona generally didn't like John McCain. Often, I didn't either. But he was willing to work with Democrats on bills, a rare thing these days.

He was a much better politician than most of the bunch from here. We could use another.
@tdrake avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2006 GT200

Ossessionato
@tdrake avatar
2006 GT200
UTC quote
Well said, all -- a hero in the deepest sense of the word.

His model should serve to remind each of us -- not just politicians -- to seek personal integrity in our public lives and to reach across the divides that increasingly separate us from one another.
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring

Ossessionato
@guzzi_gal avatar
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring
UTC quote
Well said everyone, I couldn't agree more.
UTC

Ossessionato
2018 Vespa GTS 300 ABS- Bianco

Ossessionato
2018 Vespa GTS 300 ABS- Bianco
UTC quote
One of my younger son's (a twin), he and his wife met Sen McCain at a Navy ball in San Diego, talked, got a pic with him, etc.. Just possibly what having a wife that's even better looking than Julia Roberts (but a look alike too) will do for making new friends? She's also a great human too.
When that same son was at Naval Surface Warfare School in RI he showed us McCains old mothballed carrier sitting nearby.
FWIW, that same graduation had Casper Weinberger for the commencement speaker. Enough name dropping?
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa GTS 250ie

Molto Verboso
Vespa GTS 250ie
UTC quote
The gent was the real thing, not what 45 has been saying about him.
Until he chose his running mate before the '08 election, I was okay with him being president, couldn't after the choice. No more beginner politicians in upper offices.
@skansen avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@skansen avatar
UTC quote
Couldn't agree more.
@dahoum avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 - 'George IV' (KIA) GTS Super 300 - 'George V'

Addicted
@dahoum avatar
GTS 300 - 'George IV' (KIA) GTS Super 300 - 'George V'
UTC quote
So along with the condolences to the death of a politician a lot of these comments are very political.

There have also been many people pointing out that his actions in later life were far from heroic. Just saying.
UTC

UTC
This post was not quite
What we were hoping to see
Try again, perhaps?
UTC

UTC
This post was not quite
What we were hoping to see
Try again, perhaps?
@mv-bot avatar
UTC

Zombie Process
More Human Than Human

Zombie Process
@mv-bot avatar
More Human Than Human
UTC quote
Bad humans. Keep partisan and/or personal comments out of this thread. It upsets the server's equilibrium.
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa GTS 250ie

Molto Verboso
Vespa GTS 250ie
UTC quote
Bad human here!
Sorry
@bob_copeland avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2022 Kymco AK 550

Ossessionato
@bob_copeland avatar
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2022 Kymco AK 550
UTC quote
Anchors Away John McCain
I believe both his father and grandfather were USN Admirals. I also am
an old Navy man. He was a great man who was able to compromise.
A characteristic that seems in short supply today.

I personally respect those that dedicate their lives to military and public service.
Differences of opinion, big deal, that is what this country is all about.

Bob Copeland
Minnesota
@sdg avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@sdg avatar
UTC quote
Respectfully this thread is about an American war hero and fantastic public servant. This is not and should not be political, shame on the person that gets this thread locked. Thank you to the OP for stating the obvious.

God Speed Senator.

SDG
@rosscooter avatar
UTC

Addicted
2014 GTV 300ie

Addicted
@rosscooter avatar
2014 GTV 300ie
UTC quote
God, rest your soul, John McCain!

Some politics are going to creep in. You cannot mention John McCain without acknowledging he was a politician most of his life. However, he always sought to better his constituency by working with both parties to reach a consensus on issues to get things done. And he did. There is no denying He loved this country and Arizona in particular. He was a true hero in every respect. He saw the big picture.

He will be missed.
@frcx94 avatar
UTC

Addicted
2019 MP3 500 HPE Business

Addicted
@frcx94 avatar
2019 MP3 500 HPE Business
UTC quote
More than a long speech, this man deserves to keep an image of him !!
R.I.P
R.I.P
OP
@larrymk avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa Super 300

Molto Verboso
@larrymk avatar
Vespa Super 300
UTC quote
sorry this got political, I did not mean for that, I just thought he deserved being remembered and again not my political party but this goes beyond politics he was a true American hero and while I have never met him I bet he was a super good person, just seems like it. But I guess in our current world anytime you bring up a politician....it will get political, but that was one one of the really good things about McCain he tried to go beyond politics and get both parties involved, not too many people do that.
@masala avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@masala avatar
UTC quote
Kantuckid wrote:
One of my younger son's (a twin), he and his wife met Sen McCain at a Navy ball in San Diego, talked, got a pic with him, etc.. Just possibly what having a wife that's even better looking than Julia Roberts (but a look alike too) will do for making new friends? She's also a great human too.
When that same son was at Naval Surface Warfare School in RI he showed us McCains old mothballed carrier sitting nearby.
FWIW, that same graduation had Casper Weinberger for the commencement speaker. Enough name dropping?
Which mothballed carrier - the Forrestal, or the Oriskany? My dad was on the Forrestal in '68 - 1 year after McCain's "Forrest Fire" accident.
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up
UTC quote
LarryMK wrote:
sorry this got political, I did not mean for that, I just thought he deserved being remembered and again not my political party but this goes beyond politics he was a true American hero and while I have never met him I bet he was a super good person, just seems like it. But I guess in our current world anytime you bring up a politician....it will get political, but that was one one of the really good things about McCain he tried to go beyond politics and get both parties involved, not too many people do that.
Well if you really look at McCain there are different views. I will not say anything beyond that as I am on the fence with him but like many people the legend is much bigger than the man.

Trump I can't stand at all but I think as a Canadian that's safe to say without really getting political I did really like Obama though, smart and well spoken man with a sense of humour. Trudeau.. meh :-\

I think rock stars and celebrities we are safe to say our goodbyes to here. Politics though... yeah other places for that I guess.
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC

Style Maven
'74 50s x3 '87 PK125XL '92 PK50XLS Plurimatic - & - '58 AllState '68 Sprint '66(?) Super125 and '72 DanMotor Super150

Style Maven
@v_oodoo avatar
'74 50s x3 '87 PK125XL '92 PK50XLS Plurimatic - & - '58 AllState '68 Sprint '66(?) Super125 and '72 DanMotor Super150
UTC quote
We will miss him, I think he knows that. He was our standard for truth to power so many times.

Regardless of politics, I remember how he could work with both sides and be a big part of the final American peace w/ Viet Nam. I think too few people know about this and I find it interesting to contrast with the new peace we have with NK. More here: https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/protester-pow-how-mccain-bridged-gap-help-heal-wounds-vietnam-n904006

If you have a new Vespa, well made in Viet Nam, you can thank John McCain.
@tx_lady_rider avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2009 Vespa GTS 250 SOLD

Enthusiast
@tx_lady_rider avatar
2009 Vespa GTS 250 SOLD
UTC quote
A true American hero... prayers for his family and friends... our country will miss Senator McCain. RIP and thank you for your service, sir.
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
UTC quote
V oodoo wrote:
We will miss him, I think he knows that. He was our standard for truth to power so many times.

Regardless of politics, I remember how he could work with both sides and be a big part of the final American peace w/ Viet Nam. I think too few people know about this and I find it interesting to contrast with the new peace we have with NK. More here: https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/protester-pow-how-mccain-bridged-gap-help-heal-wounds-vietnam-n904006

Interestingly just read that the marker for his capture in Vietnam has become a sort of shrine after his death. Disagreement with his captors still exist on whether he was tortured, but that aside, there's a lot of respect. Now IMHO, that's an accomplishment.

There's been a bit of backlash on his record that's surfaced since his death by some. I'll agree it hasn't been perfect, but look into the lives of any of our heros (thinking Mahatma Ghandi, Mother Teresa, Nelson Mandela). You have to look at the sum of the individual.....
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
Wow!
@rosscooter avatar
UTC

Addicted
2014 GTV 300ie

Addicted
@rosscooter avatar
2014 GTV 300ie
UTC quote
You know, the guy was just a class act. He always expressed his views with a rationale rather than degrading those with different views. He conceded defeat gracefully and moved on to his next battle-always without malice towards those that opposed his point of view.

He fought in an unpopular war in a time when the military was unpopular. He was captured and held prisoner for five years, came back to a mostly ungrateful country and proceeded to work the rest of his life, fighting for what he believed would make that country better. Not only that, but he worked diligently to better relations with the country whose government held him captive.

He personified the American character.
@tdrake avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2006 GT200

Ossessionato
@tdrake avatar
2006 GT200
UTC quote
fledermaus wrote:
V oodoo wrote:

Interestingly just read that the marker for his capture in Vietnam has become a sort of shrine after his death. Disagreement with his captors still exist on whether he was tortured, but that aside, there's a lot of respect. Now IMHO, that's an accomplishment.

There's been a bit of backlash on his record that's surfaced since his death by some. I'll agree it hasn't been perfect, but look into the lives of any of our heros (thinking Mahatma Ghandi, Mother Teresa, Nelson Mandela). You have to look at the sum of the individual.....
I'd forgotten all about that Kerry-McCain effort -- thanks for the reminder.

The ancient heroes, from which we've inherited the term and concept, were of course always deeply flawed; that's what heroism is: willing oneself to rise above one's own innately flawed human nature.

Achilles was a class A, sniveling, treacherous dickhead -- overcoming that nature is why is he was the greatest of all Greek heroes, or so Homer believed.

Gotta say my own FB feed has sorta pissed me off as some of my friends can't seem to separate differences over political beliefs from respecting the believer; I may have never have voted for a Republican, but that doesn't mean I don't respect them, have many that are friends and, in this case, see them as heroic.

...especially when their legacy was just that: reminding us to respect and work with one another despite our differences of opinion.

Also, checkit, the dude was a f-ing stud!

Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
⚠️ Last edited by tdrake on UTC; edited 2 times
UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
Agree tdrake. Without mentioning any names, nor saying if it's today's politics or yesteryear's, what always bothered me to no end with politicians of any party, is their unwillingness to put their ideals first, and the wants of the party second. Even flip-flopping if their party wanted them to vote this way or that way. Sometimes it gets to the point where you just don't know anymore what they believe in.

Agree with him or not on an issue, McCain stood by his beliefs and convictions because he felt it was the right way to go, even if it ruffled, annoyed, or even angered members of his own party.
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
Also, checkit, the dude was a f-ing stud!

[/quote]\

If only that was a Vespa in the background instead of a fighter jet, he'd be even more studly.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0209s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0070s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]