OP
UTC

2017 GTV 300

2017 GTV 300
UTC quote
Ran a couple of searches but really did not find what I was looking for. I would like to be more visible from the front. Always on the look out for vehicles pulling out in front of me. I added the LED kit to my top case from Scooter West and love it. The headlight on the GTV is so low. Really do not need anything to see at night, just looking to be seen in the day time. Please share something you have had success with. Thank you.
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
UTC quote
The swerve as you approach intersection is your best bet.
As you approach start slowly going from one side of your lane to the other, this makes you much more visible to other drives.
@roadscum avatar
UTC

Hooked
2019 GTS 300 Touring

Hooked
@roadscum avatar
2019 GTS 300 Touring
UTC quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
As you approach start slowly going from one side of your lane to the other, this makes you much more visible to other drives.
Never, this is bad advise. Swerving can create a hazard by confusing other drivers as to your intention. It can be distracting to the rider and can lead to rider error.

Wearing hi-vis gear and riding with the high beam on can help get the attention of other drivers. Making eye contact with drivers at crossing intersections also will help according to some studies.

For the record, for many years I've been a certified MSF Instructor/rider coach. Razz emoticon

Paul
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring

Ossessionato
@guzzi_gal avatar
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring
UTC quote
We use reflective rim tape on all our bikes for added visibility at night.

https://www.customtaylor33.com
(purchased via Amazon)

Taylor himself answered a few e-mail/text inquiries almost immediately, which was unexpected.
This pic was taken with a weak iPhone flash at dawn, despite this, the rims are clearly defined.  Headlights make them glow bright white!
This pic was taken with a weak iPhone flash at dawn, despite this, the rims are clearly defined. Headlights make them glow bright white!
@bob_cowley avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS250, P200E

Addicted
@bob_cowley avatar
GTS250, P200E
UTC quote
Simply release your grip as you slow down for an intersection. The dreaded wobble will make the headlight wiggle to oncoming traffic. Perhaps the wobble is there for safety reasons Razz emoticon .

Cheers,
Bob
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
roadscum wrote:
WEB-Tech wrote:
Never, this is bad advise. Swerving can create a hazard by confusing other drivers as to your intention. It can be distracting to the rider and can lead to rider error.

Wearing hi-vis gear and riding with the high beam on can help get the attention of other drivers. Making eye contact with drivers at crossing intersections also will help according to some studies.

For the record, for many years I've been a certified MSF Instructor/rider coach. Razz emoticon

Paul
"Swerve" perhaps over-states the anti-SMIDSY manouver - as now advocated by the UK safety organisations. If you're concerned someone hasn't seen you, just go from side to side in your lane - this will make you 'pop' into the other's awareness and they'll also be able to judge your speed better.

Read this highly rated UK report:
http://www.mag-uk.org/files/How%20Close%20is%20Too%20Close.pdf
UTC

Enthusiast
2012 LXV150

Enthusiast
2012 LXV150
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
roadscum wrote:
WEB-Tech wrote:

Paul
"Swerve" perhaps over-states the anti-SMIDSY manouver - as now advocated by the UK safety organisations. If you're concerned someone hasn't seen you, just go from side to side in your lane - this will make you 'pop' into the other's awareness and they'll also be able to judge your speed better.

That was an interesting (if not a bit unsettling) read. Thanks for posting!

I had just passed my course this April and we were taught to perform the weaving technique when approaching an intersection at night, as our single headlight could "disappear" if a car was behind. Much like the picture in the report.
UTC

Enthusiast
2012 LXV150

Enthusiast
2012 LXV150
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
roadscum wrote:
WEB-Tech wrote:

Paul

That was an interesting (if not a bit unsettling) read. Thanks for posting!

I had just passed my course this April and we were taught to perform the weaving technique when approaching an intersection at night, as our single headlight could "disappear" if a car was behind. Much like the picture in the report.
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up
UTC quote
Bob Cowley wrote:
Simply release your grip as you slow down for an intersection. The dreaded wobble will make the headlight wiggle to oncoming traffic. Perhaps the wobble is there for safety reasons Razz emoticon .

Cheers,
Bob
Ok that made me literally laugh out loud. Ok more of a quiet chuckle but the wobble is legendary and mine sure does it. Never thought of it as a safety feature.
UTC

Enthusiast
2018 Vespa GTS Super

Enthusiast
2018 Vespa GTS Super
UTC quote
Re: Additional front light for GTV
bitblower wrote:
Ran a couple of searches but really did not find what I was looking for. I would like to be more visible from the front. Always on the look out for vehicles pulling out in front of me. I added the LED kit to my top case from Scooter West and love it. The headlight on the GTV is so low. Really do not need anything to see at night, just looking to be seen in the day time. Please share something you have had success with. Thank you.
Just installed these (and a set of RED inside the rear taillights) on my 2018. By having a triangle formed with the headlight and the new running lights, others can see you much better and it's said that this provides a much better depth perception by the observer.

There is also a thread somewhere here that shows a really inexpensive but highly effective alternative using parts from SUPERBRIGHTLEDS.com. I did this one on my 2013 and it was commented on repeatedly!
UTC

Enthusiast
2018 Vespa GTS Super

Enthusiast
2018 Vespa GTS Super
UTC quote
Re: Additional front light for GTV
marklehnert wrote:
bitblower wrote:
Just installed these (and a set of RED inside the rear taillights) on my 2018. By having a triangle formed with the headlight and the new running lights, others can see you much better and it's said that this provides a much better depth perception by the observer.

There is also a thread somewhere here that shows a really inexpensive but highly effective alternative using parts from SUPERBRIGHTLEDS.com. I did this one on my 2013 and it was commented on repeatedly!
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
I did this back in 2010:
Fitting 'Brighteyes' to a GTS.

I believe scooterwest have a kit that'll do the same thing.
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
UTC quote
roadscum wrote:
WEB-Tech wrote:

Paul
As JimC states the UK endorses this and the link he provides is where I learned about it. Razz emoticon

Oh, and it does work. I have watched cars rolling to the inspection, then they see me slowly going from side to side of my lane and stop.
I do it when ever someone is in a position to make a left turn in front of me, and you can see them react.
⚠️ Last edited by WEB-Tech on UTC; edited 1 time
@sixpence avatar
UTC

Hooked
None at present

Hooked
@sixpence avatar
None at present
UTC quote
Is this thread any help?

GTV mudguard/lamp on a GTS
⬆️    About 3 months elapsed    ⬇️
OP
UTC

2017 GTV 300

2017 GTV 300
UTC quote
Thank you
A huge thank you to all that responded. All very helpful. I had never heard of the 'swerve' and was impressed with all of the research. Went with the pictured. The LED's are from superbrightleds with cumulative 1.17 amp draw. The 10aH lithium ion battery resides in leather bag. Toggle switch on top of bag.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@miguel avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@miguel avatar
UTC quote
Thanks for posting. They look great. Why do you have them aimed down?

If you replaced the headlight with with and LED, you could probably hardwire them to the scooter. The scooterwest GTV headlight only takes 25/30 watts (low/high beam). The OEM headlight takes takes 55/60 watts. At 1.17amps x 12 volts takes about 15 watts.

Also, if you do use the scooterwest LED, find my MV post on an installation tip.

Best
Miguel
OP
UTC

2017 GTV 300

2017 GTV 300
UTC quote
Thank you for tip
I am experimenting with them. Pointed down for now to avoid offending oncoming drivers. They seem pretty bright. Even pointed down they increase visibility. Thank you for the info on Scooterwest led upgrade. It is on sale!
@miguel avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@miguel avatar
UTC quote
Re: Thank you for tip
bitblower wrote:
Thank you for the info on Scooterwest led upgrade. It is on sale!
I've been using it for 6 months or so. Its definitely brighter than the OEM bulb.

Here's the link I referenced for the Scooterwest LED Headlight on GTV250: install notes.

Best
Miguel
UTC

Enthusiast
2015 GTS300i.e.

Enthusiast
2015 GTS300i.e.
UTC quote
2 words.....headlight modulator

I've had 1 on my Harley for 75,000 miles and NEVER had a car turn in front of me or pull out in front of me.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0199s ][ Queries: 6 (0.0056s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]