OP
UTC

Enthusiast
2018 Vespa GTS Super

Enthusiast
2018 Vespa GTS Super
UTC quote
Having been an avid rider for over 40+ years, the dreaded left-turn driver that "didn't see him, officer" that cuts across your path scares me the most.

One of the biggest faults in modern scooters and motorcycles is that most don't have self-canceling turn signals. So, I've fitted my GTS with a simply and low cost fix; an audible flasher relay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12v-Audible-LED-Flasher-Relay-12-volt-Blinker-Winker-Electronic-Beeping-Honda/111844477540?hash=item1a0a734a64:g:JZAAAOSwnipWZiGA

Right under your left kneecap, it takes less than 3 minutes to swap out your stock flasher and the beeping insures that you never invite a car to turn in front of you by leaving you turn signal on again.
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
'07 LX150 (Sold), '17 GTS300, '16 BV350, '15 EN650, '09 FXDF (sold). '15 FLSTN

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC quote
Love the reminder to turn off the turn signals, and have one on my LX-150. Problem is it's way too loud. When sitting at a long light it's way too obtrusive.

Hoping to find one that makes a repeated clicking noise instead of a loud beep. Even a soft beep would work.

Any source on one of these?
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
That will be VERY IRRITATING when you have a series of 2 minute red lights.

That's why I always fit a separate bleeper which is 'grounded' via the brake light bulbs.

OK, a bit more work to fit, but an extra few minutes against hearing that damn bleeper every time the blinkers are on when at a compulsory stop is Very well Worth It.
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
Don't I know it.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Jet Peddler wrote:
jimc wrote:
Don't I know it.
Yep, that new relay will be stripped out and replaced with OEM within weeks if it's a daily rider in urban conditions. Or - far worse - the rider will turn off the turn signals while at a stop.
@mike_holland avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS300 Super 2015 Blue, GTS300 Super 2023 Beige

Ossessionato
@mike_holland avatar
UTC quote
Get the Audicator. It counts ten flashes before it starts beeping, and then gets louder and louder. But if you apply your brakes, as when standing at the lights, then it resets ands only starts counting again when you set off. And all those parameters, including the beep sound, are programmable. Only intelligent beeper on the market.

I also tried the STS automatic cancelling device. It is extremely good, but not perfect at detecting the end of turn manoeuvres. The result was that I was continually looking down to see whether it had worked, instead of looking ahead at the road.

Mike
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
That's another option if you don't mind spending ten times the cash and still having just as much work fitting it.
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC quote
Mike Holland wrote:
Get the Audicator. It counts ten flashes before it starts beeping, and then gets louder and louder. But if you apply your brakes, as when standing at the lights, then it resets ands only starts counting again when you set off. And all those parameters, including the beep sound, are programmable. Only intelligent beeper on the market.

I also tried the STS automatic cancelling device. It is extremely good, but not perfect at detecting the end of turn manoeuvres. The result was that I was continually looking down to see whether it had worked, instead of looking ahead at the road.

Mike
Link?
@mike_holland avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@mike_holland avatar
@roaringtodd avatar
UTC

Hooked
'04 Stella 2T GB150 '15 Genuine Roughhouse 50 '17 Kawasaki Versys 650

Hooked
@roaringtodd avatar
UTC quote
Deaf people problems.

I need one that flashes in my helmet to remind me.
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
BV400, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125

Ossessionato
@jkj-fz6 avatar
BV400, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125
UTC quote
RoaringTodd wrote:
Deaf people problems.

I've added LED strips to the inside of my windshield or to the mirrors, up high enough that I can see them. Not foolproof but it helps.
OP
UTC

Enthusiast
2018 Vespa GTS Super

Enthusiast
2018 Vespa GTS Super
UTC quote
jimc wrote:

That's why I always fit a separate bleeper which is 'grounded' via the brake light bulbs.

OK, a bit more work to fit, but an extra few minutes against hearing that damn bleeper every time the blinkers are on when at a compulsory stop is Very well Worth It.
Now that's a great idea! Care to share details, part no. and schematic?
@flordian avatar
UTC

Rocket Man
GTS 300 ABS 'Drake', GTS 250 (sold), LX 150 and Delta IV rocket. ( Retired. Not my problem anymore)

Rocket Man
@flordian avatar
GTS 300 ABS 'Drake', GTS 250 (sold), LX 150 and Delta IV rocket. ( Retired. Not my problem anymore)
UTC quote
I inquired about this ST2 turn signalsystem. Has pretty good reviews and will fit a GTS. The instructions make it look simple, but plan on an all day project with some electrical knowledge.

Kind of pricey, but save a few dollars on Amazon.

Or, easier yet, just get in the habit of turning the signal off.

https://www.safer-turn.com/smart-turn-system/

UTC

Hooked
carnaby 125

Hooked
carnaby 125
UTC quote
Ive never forgot I left my signal on but I do see a lot of cars that don't use there signal that really annoys me
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
marklehnert wrote:
jimc wrote:

Now that's a great idea! Care to share details, part no. and schematic?
There's bugger all to it. A diode from each turn signal both connect to the bleeper +ve, the bleeper -ve is fed to the output of a brake light switch. I used piezo bleepers in the UK, and cheapo buzzers from Fry's in the US. You don't really need a schematic for that!
@fishfingers avatar
UTC

Hooked
Stella, GTS 300, Vespa p200e

Hooked
@fishfingers avatar
UTC quote
I purchased an "audible turn signal flasher" from Scooterwest. It has a pleasant ticking sound. I've been using it for about a year on my GTS and recommend it.

https://www.scooterwest.com/audible-turn-signal-flasher-for-2010-and-newer-vespas-mi107.html
@nightwing avatar
UTC

Contributor
2007 LX 150 (memories)

Contributor
@nightwing avatar
2007 LX 150 (memories)
UTC quote
Jet Peddler wrote:
Love the reminder to turn off the turn signals, and have one on my LX-150. Problem is it's way too loud. When sitting at a long light it's way too obtrusive.

Hoping to find one that makes a repeated clicking noise instead of a loud beep. Even a soft beep would work.

Well, in defense of the turn signal beeper I installed on Jet Peddler's LX150 which I sold to him, long lights were never a problem. This is because the town I live in doesn't have stop lights. We have stop signs, yield signs and one yellow blinker on the outskirts of town. Therefore, extended stops were never an issue. Plus, the beeper could be heard by other drivers in an intersection and they would look and see the Vespa. I felt it was a safety feature.
⚠️ Last edited by NightWing on UTC; edited 1 time
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up
UTC quote
Guess I'm the opposite of Nightwing. I live in a city that has thousands of long lights and and queuing up at stop signs with your flashers on while you wait your turn. Not to mention on a regular ride you are constantly using them to change lanes. I almost never forget as it just becomes muscle memory and I have a nervous habit of just pressing in on the button anyway.

Jet just get a Sena and blast tunes, that way you won't here the beeping. Much more peaceful that way and you get to jam to tunes

So tempted just to leave that statement up ^ there but the OMG safety posts would drive us all nuts
@mike_holland avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@mike_holland avatar
UTC quote
With my GT200 i opened up the instrument panel and fitted much brighter LEDs for the indicator flashers. That was a great help. But on the GTS they are surface mounted and much harder to replace. But one could fit additional LEDs onto the mirror stems where they would be more prominent in your field of vision. No irritating beeper with that approach.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
The GTS tally light is merely a low wattage (therefore comparatively high resistance) incandescent bulb connected to both turn signals. Not easily replaced with an LED, as that is single polarity. You'd have to add another couple of diodes...
@mike_holland avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@mike_holland avatar
UTC quote
I didn't know that, Jim. I've only looked at the instrument panel for my GTS250, which had two separate surface mount flashing LEDs. So maybe the single one on the 300 could be replaced with a brighter component.

I need to get in there anyway because I want to paint the speedo needle bright white. It is almost invisible on a sunny day.
@miguel avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@miguel avatar
UTC quote
fishFingers wrote:
I purchased an "audible turn signal flasher" from Scooterwest. It has a pleasant ticking sound. I've been using it for about a year on my GTS and recommend it.

https://www.scooterwest.com/audible-turn-signal-flasher-for-2010-and-newer-vespas-mi107.html
Can you hear it at freeway speeds?

Thanks
Miguel
@miguel avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@miguel avatar
UTC quote
Mike Holland wrote:
With my GT200 i opened up the instrument panel and fitted much brighter LEDs for the indicator flashers. That was a great help. But on the GTS they are surface mounted and much harder to replace. But one could fit additional LEDs onto the mirror stems where they would be more prominent in your field of vision. No irritating beeper with that approach.
One issue I've found with the flasher indicator on the GTV is that I can't see with my FF helmet on without looking down at it. So making it brighter won't help me or others with FF helmets. Tho it may help at night.

Best Miguel
UTC

Ossessionato
X10 350

Ossessionato
X10 350
UTC quote
Hopefully I would notice my indicators were still on quite quickly as I'd see the indicator lights when I was doing my regular peripheral vision/mirror checking scans.

The other thing have I drilled myself to do is just to give the indicator switch a quick press with my thumb as part of my routine for going through a junction/changing lane/leaving a roundabout. If it's on, that will cancel it. If I'd changed lanes without indicating (not something I aim to do in general circumstances), then it's not hurting anyone if I cancel something that's not even active.

Audible beepers would be a no-no for me, riding in London, where there are so many junctions, traffic lights and lane changes required. I wonder whether one of the reasons why some drivers either don't indicate, or else leave it until absolutely the last minute, is that they don't want to sit at a red light/drive along for any length of time having to listen to the annoying noise of their bleepers
@rrider avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)

Ossessionato
@rrider avatar
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
UTC quote
JKJ-FZ6 wrote:
RoaringTodd wrote:
Deaf people problems.

I've added LED strips to the inside of my windshield or to the mirrors, up high enough that I can see them. Not foolproof but it helps.
That's a good idea!
I've found that this problem either is or isn't with different bikes. In my Triumph, turn signal lights are nicely visible even with an FF helmet. But, it also has a bit longer movement of the switch to cancel the blinking, so I've noticed a few times that they did not csncel although I pressed the button....this is annoying, 'cause I also seem to have a reflex built here, very rare to forgot.

So now I've also started to "douple press", just in case...
@bean_counter avatar
UTC

Hooked
2016 BV350 White

Hooked
@bean_counter avatar
2016 BV350 White
UTC quote
How hard would it be to install one of the SW auditcators on a BV350? Am I looking at taking off alot of stuff. Is it plug and play?
@angrywasptamer avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GTS Super Sport 300 Yellow (2018)

Hooked
@angrywasptamer avatar
Vespa GTS Super Sport 300 Yellow (2018)
UTC quote
If I wasn't so regularly taking my Vespa through a slightly tight door I'd add bar-end indicators. It would be kinda hard to miss those flashing.
UTC

Hooked
1967 VBC 150 (Sold) 2013 SYM Wolf Classic (Write-off) 2005 PX150 2016 Primavera 150

Hooked
1967 VBC 150 (Sold) 2013 SYM Wolf Classic (Write-off) 2005 PX150 2016 Primavera 150
UTC quote
People need to use their turn signals more often in Toronto...lol not a problem over here Razz emoticon Also we have traffic light after traffic light super irritating. And the city is deciding to replace stop sign intersections with more lights...pointless! goes to show how terrible the drivers are here. We use them too often to need a buzzer, agreed with Harbinger!

One thing after riding for many years ... always be super vigilant and aware of your surroundings, then youll notice your signals if they are on or off

For you rural guys I understand how that would make sense
UTC

Hooked
piaggio hexagon

Hooked
piaggio hexagon
UTC quote
JKJ-FZ6 wrote:
RoaringTodd wrote:
Deaf people problems.

My Piaggio Hexagon (1997) has an audible indicator beeper fitted as standard, along with the usual warning lights on the dash. Problem was, when I bought a new full face helmet I couldn`t hear the beeper, or easily see the dash light. So I also bought some 12v green LED strips, wired into the indicator circuit and glued to the inside of the windscreen. I now have a nice bright reminder that the indicator is on.
@fishfingers avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@fishfingers avatar
UTC quote
Quote:
Can you hear it at freeway speeds?
I don't ride on the freeway much but I don'think so. Over 60 mph and all I hear is one loud hissing sound.

Still, it's a good option for city commuting.
UTC

Enthusiast
2017 GTS Super

Enthusiast
2017 GTS Super
UTC quote
Doodads aside, if we can learn to trail brake instinctively why can't we learn to turn off our turn signals? On a hot day you automatically drop your shield between first and second when leaving a light (still new to scooters, thinking motorcycles). What's different about canceling turn signals? One word, focus.
@rkbsound avatar
UTC

Hooked
Allstate 1965

Hooked
@rkbsound avatar
Allstate 1965
UTC quote
Can anyone help me locate the turn signals on my 65 Allstate? I've located the cruise control...
@roadster avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Kymco AK550

Molto Verboso
@roadster avatar
Kymco AK550
UTC quote
Jet Peddler wrote:

Kymco scooters ( Downtown 300i and AK550 for certain but probably others too) use the clicking type and its reasonably loud but when I checked prices for the OEM one they were quite expensive in the UK. Worth checking yourself if you can get to a nearby Kymco dealer.
@kabarash avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'08 Gunuine Buddy 150 St Tropez 'Simon' '04 Honda Metropolitian 'Archie' [Sadly had to trade it away ;-( ]

Molto Verboso
@kabarash avatar
'08 Gunuine Buddy 150 St Tropez 'Simon' '04 Honda Metropolitian 'Archie' [Sadly had to trade it away ;-( ]
UTC quote
Jet Peddler wrote:

Thought: try simply wrapping something around it to 'muffle' the sound some (?) 🤔
@raputtak avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2016 GTS 300 Super - red, of course.

Ossessionato
@raputtak avatar
2016 GTS 300 Super - red, of course.
UTC quote
I keep thinking of my high school driving instructor*: "Mirror, signal, maneuver".

I change that to "Mirror, signal, maneuver, cancel". And, yes, I forget. Sometimes. But the regular speedometer check catches it. Sometimes.

*He also said, when the light turned green: "Move off smartly".

Drove my kids mad with that one when I taught them to drive.
⬆️    About 1 month elapsed    ⬇️
@bean_counter avatar
UTC

Hooked
2016 BV350 White

Hooked
@bean_counter avatar
2016 BV350 White
UTC quote
So the ScooterWest turn signal flasher seems to be the best idea for me. However, I have seen cheaper ones advertised on Amazon and eBay that look like they would fit and work. I.e. $10 vs. $30. Does any one know what specifications are needed for one of these for a BV350? Other than 12 volt and two pin?
@bean_counter avatar
UTC

Hooked
2016 BV350 White

Hooked
@bean_counter avatar
2016 BV350 White
UTC quote
Never mind. From the first post of this thread I see that, that one worked in a GTS so it should work with my BV350, too. The MI107 from Scooter West works in both of these and pretty much anything 2010 and newer without a digital dash. I just ordered one for $7.88 with free shipping.
UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
Seemed obvious to me: seat-vibrating turn signal indicator
Content deleted by tenders. A forum where management/moderators repeatedly quash and delete well-intentioned, constructive concerns about governance issues raised by multiple users does not deserve my participation.
⚠️ Last edited by tenders on UTC; edited 2 times
@snookerinberlin avatar
UTC

Hooked
2017 GTS Super 300ie 'Sofia', 2014 Suzuki SV650

Hooked
@snookerinberlin avatar
2017 GTS Super 300ie 'Sofia', 2014 Suzuki SV650
UTC quote
Re: Seemed obvious to me: seat-vibrating turn signal indicat
tenders wrote:
I tapped into the tail turning lights' wiring and installed diodes right before a vibrating motor that came in a plastic box about half the size of a deck of cards. It's mounted under the seat using a ziptie threaded through two 1/4" holes in the plastic...(snip)
Holy Vibrator, Batman!
That is genius!
@roaringtodd avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@roaringtodd avatar
UTC quote
Re: Seemed obvious to me: seat-vibrating turn signal indicat
tenders wrote:
I tapped into the tail turning lights' wiring and installed diodes right before a vibrating motor that came in a plastic box about half the size of a deck of cards.
Now some people are never going to turn off their flashers.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0262s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0095s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]