OP
UTC

1978 125p

1978 125p
UTC quote
First post -

Cool forum - I have already learned stuff - and thank you all for letting me browse.

I obtained a 1978 125 - for free - very rusted-through foot boards - but bike is otherwise solid it seems and I am told was running when put up 10 years ago.

My thinking is to see if I can get it to run - if I can then see about other mechanicals - and then rough appearance improvements. Not looking to spend much and definitely not a restore - just get running for fun around the neighborhood for me and my teenagers. A project with that goal in mind.

My thinking is drain fuel and oil and replace, replace totally destroyed carb air hose (already ordered), clean air filter, replace battery, check wires for connectivity as best I can, and then see if I can kick start it.

Am I off on wrong foot? Totally ignorant about Vespas but am somewhat handy with tools - used to do quite a bit of work on my 60-70s VWs.

thank you all
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
BV400, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125

Ossessionato
@jkj-fz6 avatar
BV400, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125
UTC quote
Re: New (old) guy - old scooter.
Rustbucket wrote:
...used to do quite a bit of work on my 60-70s VWs.
Not surprising. If you could keep a VW running you'll have no trouble with a Vespa.

Welcome!
@fatamy avatar
UTC

Hooked
59" Allstate

Hooked
@fatamy avatar
59" Allstate
UTC quote
Re: New (old) guy - old scooter.
Rustbucket wrote:
First post -
Am I off on wrong foot? Totally ignorant about Vespas but am somewhat handy with tools - used to do quite a bit of work on my 60-70s VWs.

thank you all
Totally doable, i had mine running in a day or so after purchasing it. Rideable in 2 weeks.
@memtnbike avatar
UTC

Hooked
1979 Vespa P215E, 1965 Allstate 177

Hooked
@memtnbike avatar
UTC quote
Photos please!
OP
UTC

1978 125p

1978 125p
UTC quote
Bad photo here:
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@memtnbike avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@memtnbike avatar
UTC quote
You will likely need to pull the carb apart and clean it, especially if it had 10 year old gas in it.
@imkenmartinez avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
79' Vespa P200e

Enthusiast
@imkenmartinez avatar
79' Vespa P200e
UTC quote
I did the same recently also.

My suggestion: One step at a time.

I would start by checking to see if you have a spark.
@shoprat75 avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
1980 P200e

Enthusiast
@shoprat75 avatar
1980 P200e
UTC quote
I bought a 1980 P200 last year that was a basket case. Seized engine, rotten wiring, etc. Spent the winter restoring it and now drive it around my neighborhood. Lots of fun. I wasn't looking for a fancy restoration. Painted it with Rustoleum. Also I just turned 75 and had not ridden on a scooter or motorcycle in over 50 years. So go for it. You are never too old.
@usmusket avatar
UTC

Hooked
2020 SuperTech, GTS300, 71Rally 180, 64VBB, 79&80 P200

Hooked
@usmusket avatar
2020 SuperTech, GTS300, 71Rally 180, 64VBB, 79&80 P200
UTC quote
And when you get to it, like a VW, there are plenty of replacement body parts available too.

http://www.scootermercato.com/Scooter-Parts/Floorboards/FLOORPX
OP
UTC

1978 125p

1978 125p
UTC quote
I have been doing some reading tonight on drawing the gas tank removing it and cleaning it out with phosphoric acid as it will no doubt hold a bunch of rust. Also reading about changing the fuel line and removing and cleaning the carburetor jets. New spark plug. Thinking these are low cost steps I can take before I try to start it - increase chance that it will start - and will keep running. And then tune from there. Does that preliminary plan make sense?

Or should I first see if I get a spark like IMken suggests?
@seamus26 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1979 P200E (sold) / ZNEN Amore 150 (sold) / Genuine Buddy 170i / Genuine Stella 4T /Aprilia Sportcity One 50

Ossessionato
@seamus26 avatar
1979 P200E (sold) / ZNEN Amore 150 (sold) / Genuine Buddy 170i / Genuine Stella 4T /Aprilia Sportcity One 50
UTC quote
Welcome to the forum!

Everything I know about Vespas I learned from VWs. You have the basics already. Just ask yourself, "What would John Muir do?"

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
@velasquez avatar
UTC

Addicted
1978 P150X; 1982 P200e

Addicted
@velasquez avatar
1978 P150X; 1982 P200e
UTC quote
Rustbucket wrote:
I have been doing some reading tonight on drawing the gas tank removing it and cleaning it out with phosphoric acid as it will no doubt hold a bunch of rust. Also reading about changing the fuel line and removing and cleaning the carburetor jets. New spark plug. Thinking these are low cost steps I can take before I try to start it - increase chance that it will start - and will keep running. And then tune from there. Does that preliminary plan make sense?

Or should I first see if I get a spark like IMken suggests?
Sounds like you just want to check if it will fire up. Remove old fuel and replace with new, new fuel line, clean up the carburetor jets, new spark plug and kick it over to see if she fires up. If it fires up you can then move onto cleaning tank, carb rebuild, etc. Some of the guys that have bought scoots that have been sitting around while chime in. Listen to them.
@pdxjim avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2005 PX150 In a Part-time Relationship with a 2-Stroke Vespa Since 2007

Molto Verboso
@pdxjim avatar
2005 PX150 In a Part-time Relationship with a 2-Stroke Vespa Since 2007
UTC quote
So, I'm not the only one who's noticed a similarity between old Vespas and old VWs, even in overall design.

Maybe I'm getting philosophical here...
@highlandranchny125 avatar
UTC

Hooked
1964 Vespa VNB 125

Hooked
@highlandranchny125 avatar
1964 Vespa VNB 125
UTC quote
After I rebuilt the carb to get mine running after sitting for a long time I unhooked the fuel hose from the tank and clamped it so it was vertical and squeezed in my fuel mixture with a new cheap plastic mustard bottle to bypass the rusty tank. It was one less thing to worry about.
OP
UTC

1978 125p

1978 125p
UTC quote
Got a good look inside the tank tonight and it does not look that bad - will remove tanks clean refill nonetheless as thing has been sitting 10 plus years - throttle grip and choke appear to function - Haynes book came in today so I have a good security blanket to supplement this great forum.
OP
UTC

1978 125p

1978 125p
UTC quote
Also looks like I was wrong on the model: the frame number is VSX1T - and it is stamped manufactured 6/78 which means p200? Not p125? so bigger engine?
UTC

Hooked
1970 Sprint 150 & PX 200 / 225 and a shed full o shit

Hooked
1970 Sprint 150 & PX 200 / 225 and a shed full o shit
UTC quote
HighlandRanchNY125 wrote:
After I rebuilt the carb to get mine running after sitting for a long time I unhooked the fuel hose from the tank and clamped it so it was vertical and squeezed in my fuel mixture with a new cheap plastic mustard bottle to bypass the rusty tank. It was one less thing to worry about.
Good move. I was going to suggest cheapo inline fuel filter to grab any gunk remaining after changing the gas.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0306s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0191s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]