UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
The psi on the sidewall is the max cold tire pressure. It will and can go above that when hot, just do not exceed that on a cold tire.
@jonq avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2009 Vespa GTS 250 ie Super

Enthusiast
@jonq avatar
UTC quote
I'm really glad I found this post. I recently came in possesion of a 250 GTS and I noticed the wobble on slow exceleration during turns. I was worried something was wrong, but after reading this, it sounds expected.

Thanks!
UTC

Ossessionato
2018 Vespa GTS 300 ABS- Bianco

Ossessionato
UTC quote
Expected?
Possible or present is a much better descriptor! In turns?
The more commonly heard about wobble comes on in straight away movement ~ low 30's MPH, not particularly turn related.
@jonq avatar
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
@jonq avatar
UTC quote
Thank you Kantuckid, I will pay special attention when I notice it. Maybe I will take it in to have it checked if it's only when turning.
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
Seems most who have/get the wobble it shows up during deceleration at speeds I mentioned. Be certain your road surface isn't giving feedback not present on a better surface? Check for side to side movement in wheel assemblies or steering head slop?
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
Are we talking wobble, side to side motion of handlebars, or hop, up and down feel sometimes felt on single cylinder machines because of engine forces?
⬆️    About 5 months elapsed    ⬇️
UTC

2020 GTS Supertech 300

2020 GTS Supertech 300
UTC quote
The wobble on my GTS is more pronounced with the larger of the top boxes. I have several sizes from 29 to 46 liters. I also have the heavier bar end weights.

Don in KC.
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
UTC quote
desliderman wrote:
The wobble on my GTS is more pronounced with the larger of the top boxes. I have several sizes from 29 to 46 liters. I also have the heavier bar end weights.
Others have observed that larger loads at the back of the scooter increase the GTS wobble. Heavier bar end weights tend to decrease the wobble. That is why Vespa provides heavier bar end weights with most top boxes.
⬆️    About 4 months elapsed    ⬇️
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up
UTC quote
I found the cure! Just strap a medium sized Serta memory foam dog bed to the front of your scoot and it'll be smooth as butter. I'd like to be kidding here but I'm not. With this strapped to the front rack I didn't get even the slightest hint of a head shake. I tested pretty thoroughly once I realized that it wasn't happening on deceleration at about 40 kmh. The scoot would sway a bit when my hands left the bars at that speed but no wobble at all.

I'm now thinking maybe there is a tasteful way to add some weight to my front rack?

Bonus points to any locals that can point out where the pic was taken. Here's a hint, I was grabbing some clotted cream, a juicy steak, great cheese, morels, fresh pasta and assorted veggies. The tourists were out in full force.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
UTC

Hooked
2007 Vespa 250 GTS

Hooked
2007 Vespa 250 GTS
UTC quote
I installed a larger front tire, size 140/70, works great!!!
K. Kid hooked me up with heavier weights but somehow one disappeared. You can't tighten the throttle one as tight as you should because then you can't ride it at idle.
@berto avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2006 LX150 (carbed) | 2007 GT200

Molto Verboso
@berto avatar
2006 LX150 (carbed) | 2007 GT200
UTC quote
Harbinger wrote:
Bonus points to any locals that can point out where the pic was taken. Here's a hint, I was grabbing some clotted cream, a juicy steak, great cheese, morels, fresh pasta and assorted veggies. The tourists were out in full force.
Looks like St Lawrence market to me.

Now I've got to look up morels.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
tonymarchman wrote:
You can't tighten the throttle one as tight as you should because then you can't ride it at idle.
Please explain.
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
UTC quote
berto wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
Yup. Tour busses were busy unloading the hoards of tourists. I know they are good for the economy and all that but getting behind them at the register at some of the shops can really slow down the process. Worse things in life I guess but arghhh

Looks like St Lawrence market to me.

Now I've got to look up morels.
@soul_surfer avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
[SOLD] 2018 GTS300 Super Sport - Donatello Vespace

Molto Verboso
@soul_surfer avatar
[SOLD] 2018 GTS300 Super Sport - Donatello Vespace
UTC quote
You could always add a couple of chickens. The picture is from my work life in India, where they take two-wheeled transport to a whole n'other level.
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
tonymarchman wrote:
You can't tighten the throttle one as tight as you should because then you can't ride it at idle.
Please explain.
Perhaps the rubber grip is impinging on the bar weight? I've not had that problem on my scoots though.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Kantuckid wrote:
jimc wrote:
tonymarchman wrote:
Please explain.
Perhaps the rubber grip is impinging on the bar weight? I've not had that problem on my scoots though.
If that happens (and it can with the original end weights as well) you just add a washer or two. It never means you can't do it up tight.
UTC

Hooked
2007 Vespa 250 GTS

Hooked
2007 Vespa 250 GTS
UTC quote
The larger front tire was a big help in reducing the wobble. The larger R/h weight dropped off somewhere so I went back to the original ones. I will add the washer, thanks for the advice. I must be getting a bit slow witted in the old age. Be 72 next month.
Tony
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
They all vibrate-Blue Locktite on scooter and MC fastners!
@bean_counter avatar
UTC

Hooked
2016 BV350 White

Hooked
@bean_counter avatar
2016 BV350 White
UTC quote
I have a BV350 which is not prone to having the wobbles. However, when I changed my front tire, I went to the nationwide store that sells accessories and also mounts tires that they sell. When I went to pick up my newly mounted front tire, I saw that the guy hadn't removed the old weights but added new ones. I thought that was lame, but since I was in a hurry I took it as it was since the "tech" told me that it was balanced. ... it wasn't. The obvious test was rolling off the throttle at 70 mph and getting the shakes. I had never had the shakes before. I had to take the tire off again and go back and get it balanced correctly. Watch for this when you get your tires changed! ... especially if you hadn't had the wobbles before.
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
UTC quote
I found another way to add some weight to the front rack that maybe looks better than a rolled up dog bed.
@tim_h avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
300 GTS / Husqvarna FE250

Enthusiast
@tim_h avatar
UTC quote
Watching this eagerly. The head shake on mine has become intolerable- as i have just had a new tyre fitted (they left the original weights on, and it wasn't balanced by the shop). So i'm looking at buying a static balancer. Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Tim_h wrote:
Watching this eagerly. The head shake on mine has become intolerable- as i have just had a new tyre fitted (they left the original weights on, and it wasn't balanced by the shop). So i'm looking at buying a static balancer. Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks.
First, check the tyre pressure - often the shops under or severely overinflate them, but as well as that you should take it back to the shop and insist they balance it. Safety issue if nothing else. Take the original weights off yourself first!

In the US everyone swears by the Mark Parnes balancer - similar ones are available in the UK via Amazon or ebay. You'll have to ensure they have the right cones to fit Vespa wheels though.
UTC

Hooked
2016 GTS 300

Hooked
2016 GTS 300
UTC quote
I don't have this "head-shake" problem at all. I get the impression from this and similar threads that it only happens when you take your hands off the bars. From a safety point of view, why would you want to do this? Is it true that if you just kept your hands on the bars there would be no problem? (Perhaps that's why I haven't noticed it.) In that case, surely the solution is easy and free! Please tell me if I'm missing something here ...
@amateriat avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)

Ossessionato
@amateriat avatar
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)
UTC quote
Harbinger wrote:
I found the cure! Just strap a medium sized Serta memory foam dog bed to the front of your scoot and it'll be smooth as butter. I'd like to be kidding here but I'm not. With this strapped to the front rack I didn't get even the slightest hint of a head shake. I tested pretty thoroughly once I realized that it wasn't happening on deceleration at about 40 kmh. The scoot would sway a bit when my hands left the bars at that speed but no wobble at all.

I'm now thinking maybe there is a tasteful way to add some weight to my front rack?

Nice. But I have a cat. Good thing I have a 2015 GTS. Laughing emoticon
Jim in NZ wrote:
I don't have this "head-shake" problem at all. I get the impression from this and similar threads that it only happens when you take your hands off the bars. From a safety point of view, why would you want to do this? Is it true that if you just kept your hands on the bars there would be no problem? (Perhaps that's why I haven't noticed it.) In that case, surely the solution is easy and free! Please tell me if I'm missing something here ...
Likely for the same reason I don't experience wobble on mine: ESS front suspension (2015-17 GTS/GTV, at least in the US market).
⚠️ Last edited by amateriat on UTC; edited 1 time
@wangta avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
'10 GTS 300 Super, '79 Vespa P200E, '04 Vespa PX200, 2011 SportCity 300 Cube [Sold]

Ossessionato
@wangta avatar
'10 GTS 300 Super, '79 Vespa P200E, '04 Vespa PX200, 2011 SportCity 300 Cube [Sold]
UTC quote
Are you carrying a lot of stuff on the back of the Scoot - passenger or topcase full of stuff?

I only get the front wheel wobble when I am doing either or both of the following apply;

(1) lots of weight on back of Scoot
(2) rear tire is not inflated properly.

If both apply - it's the most wobble.

I found the rear tire inflation is more important than the front wheel. It kinda of makes sense - the Vespa is already kinda back end loaded. The more you dip the back down or put more weight on the back which causes less wait on front = front wheel isn't as stuck to ground and wobbles.
@tim_h avatar
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
@tim_h avatar
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
Tim_h wrote:
First, check the tyre pressure - often the shops under or severely overinflate them, but as well as that you should take it back to the shop and insist they balance it. Safety issue if nothing else. Take the original weights off yourself first!

In the US everyone swears by the Mark Parnes balancer - similar ones are available in the UK via Amazon or ebay. You'll have to ensure they have the right cones to fit Vespa wheels though.
The shop said they didn't have a balancer, and are an ex-Vespa dealer. After chatting with them for a while, it seems they hate modern Vespas, so I will only be using them if I really have to. I will purchase a Marc Parnes balancer. My tyre pressures are something I always pay attention to, and they are fine. The only other thing I may do, after balancing the wheel, is change the wheel bearings, - as any play whatsoever there will affect the front end wobble.
@tim_h avatar
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
@tim_h avatar
UTC quote
I've ordered a Marc Parnes balancer from the US this morning, and will also get a new set of wheel bearings.

Not a cheap solution - but i'm wanting to solve this issue once and for all.

I rode an extremely tired 11,000 KM rental Primavera around the Amalfi coast for a week earlier in the month - and the front end turn / stability was perfect.

I then returned home and got on my 6,000 KM GTS and the front end felt awful in comparison - and has been made worse by the new (unbalanced) tyre that has been fitted.
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
UTC quote
TBH most of my head shake is gone by adding the rack bag to the front. Only a little extra weight makes a big difference. For those that do not have a top case simply adding the heavier bar end weights may help. They come with the top case but I'm pretty sure can be bought without . I have a 2017 GTV so the same suspension as the GTS.
⬆️    About 7 months elapsed    ⬇️
UTC

Vespa GTS Super Sport 300

Vespa GTS Super Sport 300
UTC quote
]You dont need to do anything else but change your front shock to a proper shock and it won't wobble.

Have a look at my posting.

https://modernvespa.com/forum/post2387507#2387507

flag edit X quote
Here is the new 4.0 bazooka on Supertech.

Problem is with coil shock, most of the time the spring is not rated to individual weight and most brand when buying their shock are not given a choice off spring. There is no 1 spring for all. Almost every aftermarket shock especially designer shock (Example, zelioni etc does no testing and have no facilities to test their shock. Its all outsource to a manufacturer) including bgm that i have to tune for customer, 99% are not able to even set the Sag correctly due to wrong rated spring etc. Nothing else can be set if the basic of sag cannot be set correctly.

So if you would to ask me, i would say most people are spending money to make their suspension worst. Bazooka air shock is just like your tire,it does leak a bit. you would check it lke how you would check your tire pressure. My bazooka from my old vespa still works perfectly after more than 3 years. You can even send it in for maintenance where all your internal parts will be change, with proper care, it could last you a lifetime.

Its around 40% lighter than stock, with that saving in weight, it translate into more power for your bike and your front end will feel as lot more nimble. I am sure everyone knows about the infamous vespa front end wobble . It will wobble regardless its the current front end setup or the 14-17 macpherson strut setup, it will wobble. Just try letting go both of your hands and see what it does. I tried a few suspension setup and i can say only bazooka i can safely do let go of my hands and it will self correct itself and will not wobble. Have as look at the video, do note my left hand is holding my phone for recording and that is the furthest back i could go to take the video, i can do a longer video without hands if you want.
To me, its no brainer. Either you buy a proper shock that improve your ride the first time or you buy a cheaper shock that doesnt work and then spend more money on a shock that work. If you are only into aesthetic, then use whatever shocks you fancy but be ready for rough ride.[/quote][/quote]
UTC
yummyburger has been ejected from this topic
@fudmucker avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2021 GTS 300 HPE +2013 GTS 300ie + 294 Polini

Ossessionato
@fudmucker avatar
2021 GTS 300 HPE +2013 GTS 300ie + 294 Polini
UTC quote
Since I bought my refurbished 2013 GTS two years ago, I have noticed the steering shudder. I was not overly concerned as all my BMW R80/R100 airheads have a serious shudder at around 80km/h. Carrying a pillion and luggage tends to make it worse on those bikes.

My Vespa is going in for some paint repairs in a week and I will have them replace and / or torque the steering head bearings to spec while they are busy. It is a PITA to get to them on a Vespa so you tend to do it only when other work requires removal of the steering column.

The BMW's all tended to notch the bearing shells along the centre line of the bike. If you were on a tight budget you could try removing the bearing race and turning it 90 degrees which would eliminate the effect of the notch.
UTC

Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'

Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
UTC quote
My 2016 with ESS does not shudder or wobble, even when I take my hands off the bars!. But why anyway would that matter if the bike only shudders or wobbles when you take your hands off the bars? It really doesn't matter. You are supposed to keep your hands on the bars when riding. No reason to take your hands off. It's possible to pick ones nose with just one hand...not that I do that sort of thing...lol.
@max6200 avatar
UTC

Banned
2006 GTS 250

Banned
@max6200 avatar
2006 GTS 250
UTC quote
I have owned three different GTS s.

I've never had a wobble. Guess I'm just lucky huh?
@sdscooterista avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@sdscooterista avatar
UTC quote
Stromrider wrote:
My 2016 with ESS does not shudder or wobble, even when I take my hands off the bars!. But why anyway would that matter if the bike only shudders or wobbles when you take your hands off the bars? It really doesn't matter. You are supposed to keep your hands on the bars when riding. No reason to take your hands off. It's possible to pick ones nose with just one hand...not that I do that sort of thing...lol.
My husband's wobbles even with both hands on the bars. Which sucks with him being a newbie, since he doesn't really have the skill yet to just go with it. Going to take it in to see if it can be fixed
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
sdscooterista wrote:
Stromrider wrote:
My husband's wobbles even with both hands on the bars. Which sucks with him being a newbie, since he doesn't really have the skill yet to just go with it. Going to take it in to see if it can be fixed
What's the condition of the front tyre? Any feathering or cupping will help start the oscillation.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0265s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0188s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]