OP
UTC

MP3 500

MP3 500
UTC quote
Hi all im looking for some advice im thinking of buying an MP3 500 about 2 to 3 years old is there anything that i should be looking for when i goto view them?

Thanks in advance
@brasseye avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@brasseye avatar
UTC quote
The steering bearings can notch in the straight ahead position this can be an expensive fix £500+
Check for even tire wear on the front.
OP
UTC

MP3 500

MP3 500
UTC quote
Thanks will keep a look out for this
@71brent avatar
UTC

Hooked
2016 MP3 500 Sport ABS

Hooked
@71brent avatar
2016 MP3 500 Sport ABS
UTC quote
I thought they'd fixed the bearing issue on the newer models so I don't think that's a concern. I have a 2016 MP3 500 and so far it's been flawless.
@klaborde avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2009 MP3/250, 2012 GTS Super 300ie

Ossessionato
@klaborde avatar
UTC quote
Re: Thinking of buying an MP3
Sumo74 wrote:
Hi all im looking for some advice im thinking of buying an MP3 500 about 2 to 3 years old is there anything that i should be looking for when i goto view them?
Thanks in advance
Check the AirBox where there is a Clear Tubing in the Front, and Bubble in the Rear. See if it is full of Oil...

If True... (Not Necessarily a Problem, but Suspected Problem?)

Ask the Seller if they change their own oil, and how much they put in it?
Ask the Seller if they top it off Often?
(They may or may not answer truthfully?)

Its a tough call when buying used...
Walk away from the Deal??????

Keith,
Marietta, GA
UTC

Banned
2009 GTS 250, 2013 Buddy 125, 2014 Triumph Bonneville

Banned
UTC quote
IMO, the big problem with MP3s is the lack of dealerships and if there are dealers nearby, the lack of mechanics that were trained on and understand the MP3. You're also not going to be able to bring it in to just any scooter or M/C shop to be worked on. This may vary by country and area. It's a big issue in the USA.

These are a different animal. Study this forum before you buy to see the issues people have had and how they've dealt with them.
UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
71Brent wrote:
I thought they'd fixed the bearing issue on the newer models so I don't think that's a concern. I have a 2016 MP3 500 and so far it's been flawless.
I thought they lessened it as an issue but never eliminated the possibility?
@klaborde avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@klaborde avatar
UTC quote
Vintage1 wrote:
IMO, the big problem with MP3s is the lack of dealerships and if there are dealers nearby, the lack of mechanics that were trained on and understand the MP3. You're also not going to be able to bring it in to just any scooter or M/C shop to be worked on. This may vary by country and area. It's a big issue in the USA.

These are a different animal. Study this forum before you buy to see the issues people have had and how they've dealt with them.
Very True...
If you don't plan on cranking the Wrench, best make sure you have a Dealer (With Skills) within proximity for Repairs.
@buddyspudface avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@buddyspudface avatar
UTC quote
where in the uk are you? what type of license do you have? if car license and it was me id be looking at the 300 LT mp3 it has a great engine with no known issues cheaper to insure and tax. saying 500cc sounds more like a mans bike if it matters to you but id have the 300 all day long.

if you have a bike license the 250cc is a great choice again no known issues. but if your going 2 up and doing journeys over 5 miles then the 400cc is a better option. again I personally don't rate the 500cc engine at all can be troublesome and just aint worth the hassle/worry. again my personal opinion and not the law
if you are anywhere near Rochdale I would be more then happy to help if I am able with anything you might need or want.
OP
UTC

MP3 500

MP3 500
UTC quote
Im in Kent just outside London & travel to dagenham everyday about 30 miles each way on mainly ,otorway which is why i was looking at getting the 500cc version
UTC

Hooked
Gilera Fuoco

Hooked
Gilera Fuoco
UTC quote
Do you need the LT version?

If so, don't be tempted to get the standard version with the promise that they can easily be converted - these days, it's almost impossible to find a dealer that still does it and gets the paperwork sorted. Doing it yourself is a nightmare!
@buddyspudface avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@buddyspudface avatar
UTC quote
agree getting a conversion done legally is almost impossible. again really depends on the license you hold. even on motorways the 300 is more than capable of breaking the speed limit. but either the 400 or 500 would work well given you are traveling so far and not doing stop start journeys. iv just moved up to Rochdale from Dartford so know very well how bad the a2 Dartford tunnel can be.
all said and done if I were doing your commute id buy the 250 or 400 version. but again you need a motorbike license to have the 250. the 400 is in my opinion less trouble some than the 500 and almost just as fast as standard. but put some time into it and it will keep up with the 500 .
or sod all the trouble and buy a burgman 400 way more comfortable on motorways ( ie feet forward riding position )
OP
UTC

MP3 500

MP3 500
UTC quote
Just checked my licence & i cant ride a piaggio on my licence
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150
UTC quote
If you have a Car licence in the UK you can drive the MP3 500 LT. No motorcycle license needed. But it has to be the LT.
OP
UTC

MP3 500

MP3 500
UTC quote
I do have a full uk licence, but i spokw to the DVLA today & they siad that i dont have the right code on my licence for a tric i asked her to speak with a supervisor & he confirmed that i would be unable to ride.

What codes need to be on the licence????
@buddyspudface avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@buddyspudface avatar
UTC quote
taken from gov.uk
You can drive a motor tricycle of any power rating if both of the following are true:
you're over 21
you have a full car driving licence
You'll need a full category A1 motorbike licence to ride motor tricycles up to power output 15 Kilowatts (kW), and a full category A motorbike licence to ride trikes with a power output more than 15 kW.

go have a gander at gov.uk all you need should be in there somewhere

just found this on a site ,its a bit long winded but keep reading.

These changes only affect people who did not hold a full car or bike licence prior to January 19th 2013. If you passed a full category B (car) licence test prior to January 19th 2013, you can still ride any trike you like (under what is commonly called 'Grandfather rights') because your legal licenced status pre-dates the change of category for trikes.
Also, if you hold a full Category A motorcycle licence, irrespective of when you passed the test you can now, by default, ride any trike you like.
The DVLA policy people have also confirmed that people who hold a current (issued prior to 2013) provisional licence which states B, or B1 do in fact have 'grandfather rights' on their provisional status but only for the duration of that license. Entitlements given on the old paper licenses last until the age of 70 but photo licenses last just 10 years before requiring renewal and we are informed by the DVLA that upon renewal this 'grandfather rights' entitlement may be lost.
So to put it in a nutshell: People with a pre 19/01/2013 provisional licence which states B, or B1 are not required to complete a CBT course to ride a trike on L-Plates.
Additional UK Legislation regarding trikes that has only recently come to our attention in 2017:
All of this information above relates to the 3rd European Licensing Directive, which came into force on January 19th 2013.
However, in late November 2017 we were informed that a piece of UK legislation had been implemented on 10/04/2014, which allows any person over the age of 21 who holds a full Category B (car) licence (irrespective of disabilities or what year they passed the full Category B test)) can ride any size of trike within UK territory.
NB. It should be stressed that this legislation is only valid within UK territories. Elsewhere in Europe the 3rd Directive rules apply as implemented on 19/01/ 2013.

in a nut shell my ....
OP
UTC

MP3 500

MP3 500
UTC quote
Hi

I spoke to the DVLA again yesterday & your correct i can ride with grandfather rights

Thanks for your help
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0158s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0053s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]