OP
UTC

Addicted
2017 BV 350 Matte Black (donated)

Addicted
2017 BV 350 Matte Black (donated)
UTC quote
Went for ride today on my Jamis Commuter 4 urban bike. It's fitted with a NuVinci CVT hub instead of a standard gear shift. You can "change" gears when stopped and can slowly roll on more or less pedal effort by twisting a grip on the handlebars. I realized all of my "transportation" has a CVT -- the Subaru, the BV 350 and the Jamis.

The downside is the weight. The NuVinci is not designed for high speed touring, but works well in an urban/suburban setting. The bikeshop owner said the hubs are great, no maintenance required until it breaks, then it's a replacement because no shop can rebuild them. We'll see how durable it is.

Anyone else own a bicycle with a CVT? Do you like it?
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
'07 LX150 (Sold), '17 GTS300, '16 BV350, '15 EN650, '09 FXDF (sold). '15 FLSTN

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@jet_peddler avatar
'07 LX150 (Sold), '17 GTS300, '16 BV350, '15 EN650, '09 FXDF (sold). '15 FLSTN
UTC quote
I motorized a Schwinn strand cruiser with a Chinese 50cc two stroke about ten years ago, but I have a feeling that's not what you're aiming at. Anyhow, it was a lot of fun when it ran well. Required frequent tinkering.

Pics of yours?
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, Primavera, S50, too many pushbikes

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
LX190 Friday afternoon special, Primavera, S50, too many pushbikes
UTC quote
I had a 3 speed Jamis Commuter. Nice bike but too upright for my back. I have an 8 speed nexus on a Scott Sub now. That's probably 3 too many gears for a flat commute, though 1 and 2 are useful for weekend rides with a tired 7 year old.
Are you constantly adjusting the gearing?
@ducatiterminator avatar
UTC

Hooked
ET4

Hooked
@ducatiterminator avatar
ET4
UTC quote
I'm more of a cyclist than an "electricyclist." Though I must admit I've been contemplating an e-bicycle from Moto Parilla.

http://www.motoparilla.it/product/ultra-carbon/
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0079s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0018s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]