OP
UTC

Lurker
piaggio typhoon 50

Lurker
piaggio typhoon 50
UTC quote
Just got given a Piapgio Typhoon 50 and she needs some loving.

Sitting at 12 500km. It fires up and idles but when you go to rev it up there is no response except erratic revving... not enough power to spin the wheel. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I'm considering tearing it apart an replacing the piston rings...Also I guess if I head down that route can anyone offer some advice on anything else I should do while I'm at it?

Thanks in advance everyone!
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
UTC quote
Sounds to me like the carb needs to be cleaned - at least that is where I'd start. At that many miles, valve clearance could be an issue. Why did you focus in on piston rings? Did you check the compression?
@mjrally avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
73 & 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 06 PX150, 59 Ser 2, 65 Silver Special, 90 V5N 50, 2015 HD Road Glide Special

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@mjrally avatar
73 & 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 06 PX150, 59 Ser 2, 65 Silver Special, 90 V5N 50, 2015 HD Road Glide Special
UTC quote
If it's revving some but not spinning the rear wheel give the belt a check. It doesn't take much throttle to get the back tire to do something.
@northernerbill avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
lx 50

Molto Verboso
@northernerbill avatar
lx 50
UTC quote
I would start with a full full service.

Belts, rollers, check the clutch, strip and clean the carb maybe even simply replacing the jets, air filter, spark plug, check/charge battery.

That's a good opportunity to derestrict if it hasn't already been done too.

I would say the above list is by far your first stop then report back.
@lord_ickenham avatar
UTC

Addicted
et 2 50cc

Addicted
@lord_ickenham avatar
et 2 50cc
UTC quote
northernerbill wrote:
I would start with a full full service.

Belts, rollers, check the clutch, strip and clean the carb maybe even simply replacing the jets, air filter, spark plug, check/charge battery.

That's a good opportunity to derestrict if it hasn't already been done too.

I would say the above list is by far your first stop then report back.
Don't forget the tyres and the brake fluid! If it doesn't run this isn't as dangerous as it can't stop.
OP
UTC

Lurker
piaggio typhoon 50

Lurker
piaggio typhoon 50
UTC quote
Thanks so much for all the info everyone....I've asked around and the consensus seems like the carb is where I'll start. I'm still currently working 3 jobs for another 2-3 weeks so I'm not sure how much will get done right away here but I will keep updates coming.

I had considered the piston rings because I have the last 3 invoices from the shop it was brought to by its previous owner and they claimed to have checked the pressure and it was sitting at 90 psi. They also charged him $1000 for 3 drop offs and Litterally did nothing but change the spark plug and mention the obvious damage like missing mirrors and burnt out lights. I live in a pretty secluded part of Canada so the shops out here are crooked beyond belief.

Any other canadian Vespa and piaggio owners out there that can offer some insight to tracking down some parts?

As always thanks again everyone
@franknbrew avatar
UTC

Addicted
2006 LX 50

Addicted
@franknbrew avatar
2006 LX 50
UTC quote
If you do decide to replace the rings. I highly suggest putting in a Malossi or Polini big bore kit. If you're going to have it that much apart, you might as well get some more power out of it.

scooterpartsco.com has great pricing.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0119s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0035s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]