Ok. Ok. I know what you're thinking.
Charlie man - where have you been?!
We missed you!
Well- perhaps I am half right...
And, I hear you:
What have you been doing?
Did you buy a 2002 or a 510?
Did you stop loving vespas?
Have you fallen in love?
To this, I want to say, man, you ask a lot of questions.
But in fairness, I have been somewhat absent.
So allow me to fill in the blanks.
A month ago, I sent the Allstate to be cremated - I mean sand blasted.
I heard mixed reviews on blasting - but I just couldn't face the rust.
While it was out - I received my fancy new exhaust system from Germany for the Orange Unicorn.
A stainless steel expanse of cake slice pieces assembled together like a snake with colorful welds.
Now at this point - you would think - Bob's your uncle!
New exhaust - new curvy Allstate project - awesome!
But then Swiss went and posted that damn show off your garage thread - and the bottom fell out.
The Orange unicorn has been suffering a clutch side oil leak.
Is there anything more miserable then working on a cooked gear dope soaked set of cases?
And I looked around at my garage - with boxes stacked on boxes, bikes stacked on bikes, racks stacked on bikes stacked on boxes - and I had to call a time out.
Instead of working on the scoot(s), I took everything out of my garage - and threw it in the driveway. I mean - everything.
I listed stuff on craigslist, I got new shelves, I threw stuff away - and sent stuff away. And I sorted through every box and reorganized the whole damn mess.
Neighbors - walked by tisking and tusking at the rats nest of stuff strewn about - though their eyes betrayed the longing desire hidden under their masks to do the same (I told myself).
And to keep myself entertained - I set up a welding station where I could practice my tig welding - as I worked.
Sort some boxes - take a break and weld some stuff together....
And then today - with garage at 90% finished - for the first time in about 8 weeks - I worked in my mostly clean garage - on fixing that oil leak. I had space, I knew where my tools were, and even though it was a thankless job - I pulled the scoot apart and cleaned off 3mm of dirt and gear dope.
It was kinda a joy.
I also started fabricating a new intake manifold. Don't ask why - you have already asked enough questions - just look at the pictures and enjoy.
It starts here - two pieces of thin walled stainless tubing (ugly practice in background)
Tacked and ready to weld
welded up - gives it a 40° incline and moves carb super close to inlet. As close to a downdraft as I can make it.
Base plate scribed and ready
rough cut and fit. Need to weld intake to base. Will tack and dry fit with carb to ensure I clear cylinder. Seems promising. Note the 10° bend in toward the chassis - so the carb points slightly inward when mounted.