Vintage vespa with sidecar
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern Previous123...626364
Jet Eye Master
PX221 MHR, O tuned PX200, PX125 and some motorbikes
Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:48 am quote
Definitely more interesting if you keep digging when in a hole. Not only will there be way more inlet width, there will be much increased crankcase volume, with the extra fly side diameter, web recess and the 5mm 110 rod packer. Is all win win win in terms of torque. All you have to do is make it work.
Ossessionato
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella
Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:53 am quote
Jack221 wrote:
All you have to do is make it work.
And how hard can *that* be?!?
Ossessionato
62 VBB1T Round Tail W/ leaner sidecar
Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:26 am quote
Quote:
Definitely more interesting if you keep digging when in a hole
Well - that's gonna make the signature line...
Quote:
Not only will there be way more inlet width, there will be much increased crankcase volume, with the extra fly side diameter, web recess and the 5mm 110 rod packer. Is all win win win in terms of torque. All you have to do is make it work.
Uh huh. Could find myself with the motor on the bench/MHR cylinder bolted in place - sooner than later. Plan to start with some relatively tame timings out of the gate - but probably not as low as stock BGM. Assume MHR's ex port is more plug and play than the BGM was.

Bridsnest - haha - thanks.

Welding is gettin better by the day.
Cast aluminum is a bear - but it is teaching me some tricks.
Welding up an inlet pad is gonna be triple tough - but it feels inevitable.
Little more practice on these test cases - and then on to the real deal.
bodgemaster
63 GL, 76 Super (x 2), 74 Primavera (x 2), 06 Fly 150
Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:31 am quote
“So much has been done, exclaimed the soul of Frankenstein—more, far more, will I achieve; treading in the steps already marked, I will pioneer a new way, explore unknown powers, and unfold to the world the deepest mysteries of creation.”

- M. Shelly, Frankenstein

Ossessionato
Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:17 pm quote
Quote:
“So much has been done, exclaimed the soul of Frankenstein—more, far more, will I achieve; treading in the steps already marked, I will pioneer a new way, explore unknown powers, and unfold to the world the deepest mysteries of creation.”

- M. Shelly, Frankenstein
That is actually the abridged version.
The full one ends:

...after I stop at Harbor Freight for some stuff.
Ossessionato
Sat May 01, 2021 12:53 pm quote
So I said to myself - self, what else should you be thinking about now that you have this welder thingy in your hand.

I mean - the welding hasn't been pretty - but it's felt at the edge of a break through - by which I mean - at any moment - I might burn a hole straight through the cases if I continue. So I continued.

I've been thinking about optimizing flow from inlet to cylinder. On my cases, there is a stud right in the way - though the landing for P200 and later model 150's is in the casting - so I could just tap that and move the stud.

The modern placement is better than the old - because the stud is out of the way from the inlet. However, the new placement is still not really optimized for flow. So My thinking is to create a new landing for the stud - by extending the cases. I used the practice cases to test the concept. Welding is also coming along. Think this has promise.

This would allow me to shape my inlet how I would like

Flow path and inlet volume could be optimized. That's fancy talk for "made bigger". (red is current shape)

So I took the practice cases - and cleaned up the area for adding material

And then built out about a 15mm shelf - this will get machined and dremeled to a nice shape.

DoubleGood Vespa T-Shirts  
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern Previous123...626364
[ Time: 0.8295s ][ Queries: 27 (0.8096s) ][ Debug on ][ Thing Two ]