First Scooter, not my first project. (Now going electric!)
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern Previous123...101112
Hooked
P125x (4KW Hub Motor)
Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:14 pm quote
Nothing picture worthy. I replaced the front brake shoe set, stiffened the seat prop rod and added some protection to the battery to prevent chafing.
Hooked
P125x (4KW Hub Motor)
Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:07 pm quote
Several rides, nothing bad to report. My friend rode it and loved it, so that is good. Well over 100 miles now.

So, EmVeeTee made me some 3D printed badges and I painted them up. Fortunately he gave me his test badges so I could play with sanding and painting them.

Black spray paint first, then silver brush on.

Test fitted one of the test pieces. I used 3M trim tape with a heat gun conform it to fit the legshield.

Once dry I will put on the final good badge.
2003 Stella 2T (4kW electric conversion underway)
Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:56 pm quote
Nice!
Those look great! Nice painting.
Molto Verboso
2007 Stella 225
Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:57 am quote
Like it, you can try a ink roller also for the silver.

https://www.indianmotorcycles.net/threads/frame-indian-embossed-emblem-painted.16409/
Hooked
P125x (4KW Hub Motor)
Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:56 pm quote
Christopher_55934 wrote:
I tried a variety of soft to firm rollers, but even sanded it was not a good finish. A brush came out best.

Still, it looks good to me, and the bike is a decent 5-10 footer.
Lurker
vespa p200e
Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:34 pm quote
Jim, could you talk a bit about how you registered your bike? I'm in Canada and we have different rules for bikes and motorcycles. I was following your thread on endless sphere.

I have a p200e I recently bought without motor that I plan to convert to electric. I'm wondering what your top speed is and once you figured out the swing arm, how hard would it be to get an experienced welder to put one together. I'd be looking at your drawings for sure.
Hooked
P125x (4KW Hub Motor)
Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:38 pm quote
Pitou67 wrote:
Jim, could you talk a bit about how you registered your bike? I'm in Canada and we have different rules for bikes and motorcycles. I was following your thread on endless sphere.

I have a p200e I recently bought without motor that I plan to convert to electric. I'm wondering what your top speed is and once you figured out the swing arm, how hard would it be to get an experienced welder to put one together. I'd be looking at your drawings for sure.
I am fortunate that I registered the bike before I converted it. That said, in VA, the 1981 is considered an antique, so no inspection needed, therefore no need to declare it an electric motorcycle. Even if I did declare it, VA law says it is a scooter, considered under 50cc, so no need to license it as a Motorcycle.

The swingarm is not overly complicated, once you figure out the needed dimensions.

Not to scale, but accurate:

My top speed so far was 62mph, but I can only prove 60mph
Lurker
vespa p200e
Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:27 am quote
I'm reading up on our laws, and I'm not sure it can be done so easily. The fact it has no motor as is may make it difficult. Conversions need to be signed off by an engineer. We also need inspections every two years.

Would you say the cost to convert is much more than finding and restoring a working motor? I feel like the wiring is ok on this, as it looks like the only thing done to the bike was removal of the motor.

It was a great price at 350$ cad so I couldnt refuse it.

My main experience is bicycles, ebikes and ebike scooters.
Hooked
P125x (4KW Hub Motor)
Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:39 pm quote
Pitou67 wrote:
I'm reading up on our laws, and I'm not sure it can be done so easily. The fact it has no motor as is may make it difficult. Conversions need to be signed off by an engineer. We also need inspections every two years.

Would you say the cost to convert is much more than finding and restoring a working motor? I feel like the wiring is ok on this, as it looks like the only thing done to the bike was removal of the motor.

It was a great price at 350$ cad so I couldnt refuse it.

My main experience is bicycles, ebikes and ebike scooters.
Different country, or even state, different rules. In most US states a 1981, or any bike over 25 years old is considered an antique and does not require inspections.

As for cost, I am confident that buying a 2 stroke motor, rebuilding it completely, and adding any missing parts, would be less than an electric conversion.

That said, it would just be another Vespa. It really depends on what you are looking to get from it. If I were you I would talk to your inspectors and engineers and see what they would require to make it legal.
Hooked
P125x (4KW Hub Motor)
Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:42 pm quote
Added one more badge:

Hooked
P125x (4KW Hub Motor)
Sun May 02, 2021 2:36 pm quote
Made some changes that _Gonzo_ suggested, and I went through the Kelly manual and made a ton of adjustments, including his suggestions.

All I can say is holy shit. It is a rocket off the line now, even with my fat ass on it, and no odd noises. No time today for an extended ride, but I am betting it will go even faster than 62mph, and get better miles. It is 100% improved, and way more fun to ride. It nearly pulled itself out of my hands the first time I nailed the throttle. NOT exaggerating!

Thanks so much for your help -Gonzo_!

I recorded the new settings, and will display them for all soon.
Hooked
P125x (4KW Hub Motor)
Sun May 02, 2021 3:25 pm quote

Molto Verboso
2006 LX150 (carbed) | 2007 GT200
Sun May 02, 2021 4:04 pm quote
Nice to hear this update. Very cool of you to share knowledge and configuration details.
Enthusiast
'66 Sears Cruisaire Smallframe
Thu May 06, 2021 7:38 am quote
Wow, very cool! I used to work for a company that makes swimming pool vacuums and they had a fleet of 3D printers for making prototypes. To make them waterproof, we would mist the 3D printed parts in methyl ethyl ketone, which slightly melts the top surface of the plastic and turns that grainy layered print pattern into a smooth shiny surface. You can achieve the same effect by putting some fingernail polish remover in the bottom of a jar, putting the jar on a hot plate, and suspending the part in the jar for a minute of two.
Hooked
P125x (4KW Hub Motor)
Thu May 06, 2021 4:44 pm quote
r_fostoria wrote:
Wow, very cool! I used to work for a company that makes swimming pool vacuums and they had a fleet of 3D printers for making prototypes. To make them waterproof, we would mist the 3D printed parts in methyl ethyl ketone, which slightly melts the top surface of the plastic and turns that grainy layered print pattern into a smooth shiny surface. You can achieve the same effect by putting some fingernail polish remover in the bottom of a jar, putting the jar on a hot plate, and suspending the part in the jar for a minute of two.
Interesting concept!

Thanks!
Hooked
P125x (4KW Hub Motor)
Sun May 09, 2021 1:48 pm quote
Finally had a chance to get in another ride. It was a beautiful day around the city, so I puttered around, trying not to go WFO on every take off from start.

Start Stats:

Stop for fun:

End stats:

42% battery use at 21 miles. No reason I can't do 40 miles on a charge. I wasn't overly gentile, and you can see that I did a nice average, and though I wasn't going for top speed, I still did 56mph, just puttering around town.

Overall I am quite happy with the results. Smooth and quiet, and plenty of power.
  DoubleGood Vespa T-Shirts  
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern Previous123...101112
[ Time: 0.1411s ][ Queries: 25 (0.1211s) ][ Debug on ][ Thing Two ]