OP
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
UTC quote
So I wont candy coat this, the scoot was abused. Never really taken care of properly and has been tossed on the back burner a few times as income and responsibilities change. Now I'm finally at a spot where I can try and wrench on the bike myself, before I had no garage and wasn't allowed to work in the parking lot, but I have no idea where to start.

A handful of months ago she ran, not well, but she ran. Now she's got no spark and I'm not 100% one where to even begin looking. I went to go over any kind of loose wire and what not just now and didn't find any except for the neutral indicator wire, however almost all of the rubber grommets and plugs have dry rotted or melted away so that could be a cause.

So Modern Vespa, I come to you humbly, what do I do?
@qascooter avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
79 P200E (Ruby), 62 Allstate (B-62)

Ossessionato
@qascooter avatar
79 P200E (Ruby), 62 Allstate (B-62)
UTC quote
Hey Xian,

First thing - pictures!!! Razz emoticon Seriously though, Fuel, spark, and mechanicals to be safe.

Check fuel - if old, replace, check for debris in the tank, if debris, clean it out. Replace fuel line and autolube line.

Clean carb - not difficult and one less thing to worry about.

Spark - check spark by pulling plug and grounding while trying to start. You should see spark, if not, it's electrical.

Also, check the basics over and make sure it's safe to ride - tight axle nut, shock nuts, wheel nuts, etc.

If it was me I would check the spark first. Is the plug wet, if so, you're getting fuel, so move to electrical.

Good luck and pictures actually do help.
OP
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
UTC quote
You're absolutely right about pictures.
pardon the grime and dirt, it's leaked oil for awhile.

Fuel is new, no debris in tank. Switched to premix years ago.
Carb could absolutely be cleaned, but I'll get to that later.
There is no spark, changed the plug and tested it by holding it up to the frame while kicking and saw nothing.
I'll be sure to go over all of the basic safety stuff once it runs
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0104s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0042s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]