OP
UTC

Enthusiast
GTS 300 Super Sport ('18)

Enthusiast
UTC quote
I searched this (I swear) and couldn't find anything pertinent, so I'm just wondering if anyone is using AirPods with their newer iPhones for music, etc., when riding.

Finally had to ditch my iPhone6, and the Xr can handle AirPods (about which I'm pretty ignorant, admittedly).

Good idea or no? Better alternatives for the $160-ish that AirPods will set you back? Too bulky for full-face helmets?

Thanks in advance for any input!
@troutbum avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2012 Kymco Like 200i (Sold), 2018 FLSL

Ossessionato
@troutbum avatar
2012 Kymco Like 200i (Sold), 2018 FLSL
UTC quote
I have tried the AirPods, but they do get hung up and pulled out of my ears at times. I wear a ff helmet. I have a Sena 10S Bluetooth communicator which is more expensive, but made for streaming gps directions, phone calls, music and connecting with other riders. I prefer over ear buds.
@usmusket avatar
UTC

Hooked
2020 SuperTech, GTS300, 71Rally 180, 64VBB, 79&80 P200

Hooked
@usmusket avatar
UTC quote
If you ride much get a Sena or Cardo system. They offer models within that price range and work as entertainment or communication systems as needed.
I have worn my airpods under my helmet a coulpe of times. They sounded okay but hard to keep in while putting on the helmet and keep in while riding too.
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
UTC quote
Sena pairs beautifully to an iPhone.
And sounds great at highway speed, through earplugs. Nerd emoticon
@usmusket avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@usmusket avatar
UTC quote
If you are just interested in listening; Uclear offers wired, in-helmet speakers for
If $40
@cubanroast avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
GTS 300 SS, LX150, Stella 150

Enthusiast
@cubanroast avatar
UTC quote
I've been using the GeeKee wireless earbuds in a 3/4 helmet and really liking the sound plus canceling wind noise. I'm paired with a iPhone 7+.

Here's a link - https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Headphones-Sweatproof-Cancelling-Earphones/dp/B07GWWQK76/ref=sr_1_3?crid=16ZOGMTVU1LZM&keywords=geekee+wireless+earbuds&qid=1569980340&s=gateway&sprefix=geekee%2Caps%2C483&sr=8-3

Highly recommend.
@25bikez avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2022 Liberty 150S-"Meg"-SOLD

Molto Verboso
@25bikez avatar
2022 Liberty 150S-"Meg"-SOLD
UTC quote
I'll add my favorable review to the Sena brand.

Along with silicone earplugs to kill the wind rush in my helmet, the speakers that came with the Sena put out a respectable amount of sound, be it from the internal FM radio or bluetooth from my iPhone.

If I don't wear my earplugs, though, the Sena gets drowned out by wind noise unless it's painfully loud.
@larrymk avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa Super 300

Molto Verboso
@larrymk avatar
Vespa Super 300
UTC quote
I have the Uclear system and I think it is excellent. But I have used my AirPods in my helmet a few times when I let my Uclear battery run out. I have a Shark Evoline modular helmet usually worn as a 3/4 not full face and while it was a bit difficult getting the helmet on with the AirPods, once on it worked great and I felt they were very stable, but I do think that getting a system such as uclear or one of the other helmet systems is probably easier if you ride a lot.

larry
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
UTC quote
Can Siri hear you in the helmet?
@larrymk avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa Super 300

Molto Verboso
@larrymk avatar
Vespa Super 300
UTC quote
never tried SIRI in helmet, so have no idea, I just listened to music
@jmd avatar
UTC

Addicted
2019 BV 350

Addicted
@jmd avatar
2019 BV 350
UTC quote
I have ordered the Amazon Echo Buds. They purport to do everything that the Apple buds do, and they fit inside the ear. I tried the Apple buds, but they do not fit inside my helmet, because of the piece that hangs down from your ear. I am hoping that the Amazon buds will fit better. I will report back after I get them.
@northernerbill avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
lx 50

Molto Verboso
@northernerbill avatar
lx 50
UTC quote
I tried ear buds but they get hung up, plus I don't want that total isolation.

I've fitted the Cardo sho-1 which streams great, has a great app.

My issue with speakers is though, example if you get a normal pair of headphones that sound great in position but sound thin and tinny when you hold them just a few mm's from your ear........that's where your at in my experience with a proper helmet speaker.
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip
BMW R1100RT The Problem Child Kymco Downtown 300 - I'm not the Uber Honda Cub - Scorched Earth Policy

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
BMW R1100RT The Problem Child Kymco Downtown 300 - I'm not the Uber Honda Cub - Scorched Earth Policy
UTC quote
Dead
So you're listening to music when you should be listening to the sound of engines, horns and tyres plus people cursing at you.

As if riding wasn't dangerous enough.

All that sensory information which could save your life and you choose to block it out.

Jesus.

Bill x
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
UTC quote
Re: Dead
Bill Dog wrote:
So you're listening to music when you should be listening to the sound of engines, horns and tyres plus people cursing at you.

All that sensory information which could save your life and you choose to block it out.

Jesus.

Bill x
Yeah, and I also wear sunglasses underneath the retractable shade in my Shoei Neotec. And nice thick elkskin palm gloves, so I can't feel the handlebars as well. Numb to the world I am.
@northernerbill avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
lx 50

Molto Verboso
@northernerbill avatar
lx 50
UTC quote
Madison Sully wrote:
Bill Dog wrote:

Jesus.

Bill x
Yeah, and I also wear sunglasses underneath the retractable shade in my Shoei Neotec. And nice thick elkskin palm gloves, so I can't feel the handlebars as well. Numb to the world I am.
You forgot to drop the mic!

Bill I was surprised with my helmet system. Even on full volume it's not that loud, and I can hear everything from my exhaust to cars. Ear pods I wouldn't wear for the reasons you state. You can't drive 100 yards in the UK without someone doing something you have to react to.
OP
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
UTC quote
Thanks for all the guidance and suggestions. All I want to do is listen to tunes, so no need for Siri, passenger comms, etc. I'll check out some of what's been noted above.

Having had a full comms set-up on my Goldwing, I'm familiar with the dynamics of what occurs, and it's all a matter of compromise, isn't it? Nothing gets totally blocked out and earbuds seem to be a good substitute for the foam earplugs I'm currently using. Win/win if I can find the right set-up.

Thanks again for your input!
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
UTC quote
northernerbill wrote:
Madison Sully wrote:
Bill Dog wrote:

Jesus.

Bill x
You forgot to drop the mic!

Bill I was surprised with my helmet system. Even on full volume it's not that loud, and I can hear everything from my exhaust to cars. Ear pods I wouldn't wear for the reasons you state. You can't drive 100 yards in the UK without someone doing something you have to react to.
I ride by sense of smell.
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
UTC quote
usmusket wrote:
If you are just interested in listening; Uclear offers wired, in-helmet speakers for
If $40
Don't do wired, save the money till you can afford wireless. You will be much happier.
@pmatulew avatar
UTC

Hooked
2009 MP3 400, 2004 Honda ST1300

Hooked
@pmatulew avatar
2009 MP3 400, 2004 Honda ST1300
UTC quote
Was having this discussion over the weekend with a group of sport-touring riders.

Many use Sena or Cardo headsets and speakers with earplugs of some sort to block out background wind noise. (I'm in that camp) "New guy" prefers wired foamy earbuds with speakers built in. His Sena has an aux speaker-out port. With that configuration he gets significant volume reduction of outside noise and can turn down the volume of his headset as well. Able to hear spoken word audio books and such clearly. Overall less volume pointed at his eardrums. He's very happy with it but he also travels significant distances so it's less of an inconvenience dealing with the wires because the helmet stays on for hours at a time.
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
UTC quote
Gift
Yeah you're seriously setting yourself up for an accident if you're going to block all that information with music.

I think it's pretty dumb to isolate yourself or even drown out that kind of feed back with Huey Lewis.

You see once a car is in your blind spot your'e sensing it's position with your ears.

You're listening for the sound of its engine, tyres and wind noise so why drown it out ?

Bill x
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
UTC quote
Re: Gift
Bill Dog wrote:
Yeah you're seriously setting yourself up for an accident if you're going to block all that information with music.

I think it's pretty dumb to isolate yourself or even drown out that kind of feed back with Huey Lewis.

You see once a car is in your blind spot your'e sensing it's position with your ears.

You're listening for the sound of its engine, tyres and wind noise so why drown it out ?

Bill x
Are you going to try to lecture me on helmets, gloves, shoes, and pants next?
My safety is my own priority, and I'll ask you to please butt out of it.
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
UTC quote
Biffa
Oh no I wouldn't waste my time because all of the above are personal choices but to shut off your senses to the position of other vehicles just doesn't make sense.

How about I come and put my hand over one eye in the name of entertainment as it's pretty much the same thing.

No wonder so many of you end up sliding down the road, you're probably not paying attention.

Let the rider decide eh ?

Bill x

NB I love the irony of you saying my safety is my priority when it's the complete opposite.
⚠️ Last edited by Bill Dog on UTC; edited 1 time
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
UTC quote
Pile
As for answering my phone, talking to my imaginary girlfriend or listening Hits of the 80's, bugger that.

I want to ride with a clear head as I disconnect from all the other bullshit that other people seem to need.

I'll respect anyone's right to do, wear or listen to what they want but please think about the really important things like other traffic for instance and where it is.

Bill x
@northernerbill avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
lx 50

Molto Verboso
@northernerbill avatar
lx 50
UTC quote
Think the main point of this thread is ear pods, and which one.

Personal opinion on safety has no relevance......(yes it does you say)......no it doesn't as the OP wants opinions so is happy to ride like this.

Why do motorcycle shops sell ear plugs?

Back to the original question guys
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
UTC quote
Think
Because ear plugs still allow you to hear the important stuff.

Entertainment just washes it out as it's actually closer to the ear drums.

Surely that doesn't need explaining ?

If I saw someone drunk at a party putting their cock in a food blender and I didn't take the plug out of the wall you'd blame me for not him helping out or would you just let him get on with it because it's his choice ?

Inaction breeds consent so if I think that riding with entertainment that's loud enough to either distract you or block out vital feedback is going to increase the chances of you having an accident I'll say it.

I don't know you or care about you but if I can suggest something that will help you avoiding being injured, once again I'll say it.

Now, if you chose to ignore it because you think you know better or years of experience count for nothing I wish you the best of luck.

Once you've felt the gentle caress of tarmac chips ploughing through your flesh you soon look for ways to avoid it happening again but if you know better then you know more than me.

Bill x
UTC

Banned
2009 GTS 250, 2013 Buddy 125, 2014 Triumph Bonneville

Banned
2009 GTS 250, 2013 Buddy 125, 2014 Triumph Bonneville
UTC quote
You're speaking to deaf ears Bill Dog. (Pun intended)
Just let Darwinism run it's course.
@northernerbill avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
lx 50

Molto Verboso
@northernerbill avatar
lx 50
UTC quote
Bill Dog wrote:

Surely that doesn't need explaining ?

If I saw someone drunk at a party putting their cock in a food blender and I didn't take the plug out of the wall you'd blame me for not him helping out or would you just let him get on with it because it's his choice ?

Inaction breeds consent so if I think that riding with entertainment that's loud enough to either distract you or block out vital feedback is going to increase the chances of you having an accident I'll say it.

I don't know you or care about you but if I can suggest something that will help you avoiding being injured, once again I'll say it.

Once you've felt the gentle caress of tarmac chips ploughing through your flesh you soon look for ways to avoid it happening again.

Bill x
Bill one thing I've learned on any post or thread on here..... I say white.....you say black.....and vice versa.....it's a given.

So yes I agree it's dangerous and agree it removes a sense you need BUT potentially.

I have the Cardo system but don't use it much even though I can still hear absolutely everything on the road. I imagine it's better than the ear plugs we both commented on.

I'm well aware of pain from traffic accidents as I was off work for 1 full year recovering from one, and still live with it's life changing effects.

My point from my last response was let the guy get some answers about products, who knows perhaps there's products that do allow both?
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
UTC quote
Sift
Bill, it's nothing personal about you or your opinion.

I'm also not suggesting that I've ridden far more miles and in more challenging conditions than you have and therefore my experience carries more weight than yours but one of the main reasons that I'm still alive is because I've always been aware of what was around me.

It defies logic to shut off that information in the name of relieving boredom.

Vintage is right.

Picked off by stupid.

Bill x

NB Actually before I walk away whistling with my hands in my pockets no one wants to admit that someone knows better because it suggests that you knew less and that's going to hurt your pride which is why the ignorant often resort to claiming they are being lectured.

That's not the case. I think that you may benefit from my experience even if it is unwelcome.
OP
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
UTC quote
I've ordered a set of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07W6P9C7G/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Very highly rated, look to be small enough to not be an issue with a FF helmet.

Thanks for all your input and advice!
@tonyc avatar
UTC

Hooked
bv350, Brutale 910

Hooked
@tonyc avatar
bv350, Brutale 910
UTC quote
Re: Dead
Bill Dog wrote:

lol was waiting for this in a music/earbud thread. I tried a cheapo system not too long ago, and was so distracted (mainly cause I was trying to listen to podcasts) that I removed it ASAP cause I mostly commute on the scooter. Didn't want to die on the way to pickup the kids or anything...
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
UTC quote
Re: Gift
Bill Dog wrote:

Bill x
Have you used a Cardo unit? I can stop and have a conversation with someone without turning the volume down from riding speed. Did it the other day at the entrance to Shenandoah Nat'l park, good song was playing so I didn't turn it down and got my Annual Nat'l Park pass purchased and no problem with communicating with the ranger. Now it is a little hard to hear but I can do it. Hear all the road noise around me.

The Cardo slim is hands free as in voice controlled. Want it louder, "Hey Cardo Volume Up", next track for audio, "Hey Cardo Next Track"
Need to navigate but are stuck in traffic and can't pull over, "OK Google Navigate to where ever"
Need to call someone, "Ok Google Call Wife"
I never thought I would love this thing so much.
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
UTC quote
Re: Think
Bill Dog wrote:

Bill x
With this statement I know you haven't tried one then. I can hear the road noise from the tires of the car next to me. Is that enough hearing for you?
⚠️ Last edited by WEB-Tech on UTC; edited 1 time
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
UTC quote
Give
Ear Plugs. That's all.

I spent a bit of time on the I 405 and the I 5 in LA recently and I needed all of my concentration as I still got merged into 3 times in an hour.

Now, if I hadn't had heard as well as seen those cars I may well not be here.

That is reason enough not to have music playing so it's pointless me even considering it.

Bill x
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
UTC quote
Road with ear buds for years, the cardo with helmet speakers really allows you to hear the road noise and the music.

Wayne B
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
UTC quote
Gift
Ridden for 1000s of miles with ear plugs and I've never felt the need to listen to music.

I want to be focused on what I'm doing not distracted by Addicted to Love.

I'm riding, not tapping my feet.

Bill x
@cubanroast avatar
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
@cubanroast avatar
UTC quote
ESquared wrote:
I've ordered a set of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07W6P9C7G/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Very highly rated, look to be small enough to not be an issue with a FF helmet.

Thanks for all your input and advice!
Nice choice! Once my GeeKee's die out I'll definitely consider these.

I've used Cardo and Senna for years. The only real advantage of those systems is talking rider to rider. If you're looking for a good helmet speaker that allows you to hear as much road noise or music you can't beat the ear bud route. Just make sure to pry your helmet wide to avoid hitting the buds while pulling your helmet on or off.
@larrymk avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa Super 300

Molto Verboso
@larrymk avatar
Vespa Super 300
UTC quote
wow this thread has gotten a bit much.

I have a wireless Uclear system installed in both of my helmets, just transfer the receiver to the helmet I am using. I use it to listen to music at a very low level. I just enjoy listening, but have it set low so I can hear everything around me. Sometimes hard to hear the music but it is ok. While I can answer the phone using the system, I don't unless it is an important call and if that happens I ask the caller to hold and I pull off the road to take the call. Safety first. I have not used the system to talk with fellow riders yet but it could be a nice thing to do. I have used the AirPods on one or two occasions when my Uclear battery ran out and again if set low I can still hear the sounds around me. I agree it is important we are aware of what is happening around us, but listening to music at a low level in my opinion is ok, but if you are not comfortable with it.....then don't do it. Just my opinion. Be safe.

larry
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
UTC quote
Touch
Riding a motorcycle or scooter takes so much more concentration than driving a car so I'd suggest that singing a long or answering a call, maybe even talking to a passenger is a level of distraction that I'm really uncomfortable with.

Na, you can keep it.

Bill x
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
UTC quote
But music is less distracting than the voices in my head.
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
UTC quote
Listen
Just ignore the ones that say Kill Kill Kill.

That's best.

Bill x
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0144s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0073s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]