@wleuthold avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@wleuthold avatar
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)
UTC quote
One of the reasons that I love to ride is that it gets me away from the hectic parts of life.

So the last thing I want while riding is to be talking on the phone, or communicating with others on the ride, or listening to the GPS woman telling me what to do, or music in any form.

I don't think you will die if you do these things, but for me the solace riding brings is a needed break from my work days.

Bill
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip
BMW R1100RT The Problem Child Kymco Downtown 300 - I'm not the Uber Honda Cub - Scorched Earth Policy

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
BMW R1100RT The Problem Child Kymco Downtown 300 - I'm not the Uber Honda Cub - Scorched Earth Policy
UTC quote
Fact
You will die if you do these things.

Fact.

Bill x
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
UTC quote
Bill Dog wrote:
You will die if you do these things.

Fact.

Bill x
Also fact: You will die if you don't.
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
UTC quote
Bing
Pokey Pokey Pokey.

You are so easy to wind up.

Bill x
⬆️    About 3 months elapsed    ⬇️
@dsupencheck1 avatar
UTC

Mp3 500

@dsupencheck1 avatar
Mp3 500
UTC quote
ESquared
I would be interested to know if these, (
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07W6P9C7G/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1), would work with a half helmet, and whether the wind noise is too much to drown out the music, etc played on them.

I am currently debating on a wireless Bluetooth earbuds for use with a half helmet. Am also waiting on delivery of a taller windscreen to hopefully eliminate some of the wind buffeting. Maybe this will make the use of wireless Bluetooth earbuds a little more doable.

These Cepekeyy earbuds look a lot like the type I have been considering, although much cheaper.

Have you tried them with a half helmet, and if so, how are they when dealing with wind noise.

Haven't had a chance to try any out yet, due to the temps, so far. Hoping for an above normal temp day so I can try earbuds out.
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up
UTC quote
I understand those that want complete solitude when riding. I'm not one of those and have either a Sena or Cardo in all my helmets. Usually just a podcast playing that I sort of half listen to. I don't find it distracting and you can hear traffic and other ambient noise just fine. On very long rides I will sometimes put tunes on. I also ride as a means of travel and do not do it just for leisure which means that I probably have my ass in the saddle more than most. Now that I can ride in snow I'd put my days on the road at pretty near 365. To each their own but they can be handy and as long as you aren't an idiot won't kill you.
@captain_jim avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS 300 HPE

Molto Verboso
@captain_jim avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
Years ago, we had bike communicators on full dress Harleys and Goldwings. With the in-helmet speakers, we could talk or listen to music. When we switched to scooters 6 years ago, our riding styles had changed and we found we could relatively easily talk back and forth between the scoots (Honda 150 PCXes at the time). In the past year, we have both gotten scoots that are more highway capable, and I have switched helmets to a Nolan N70 with a removable chin-bar. With my other helmets (3/4 and modular), she could hear me... not so much with the Nolan. So, I suggested helmet communicators. We bought the Lexin B4FM units - they work great and I feel our riding is actually safer being able to talk back and forth.

When I riding alone, I generally listen to music, but it isn't loud enough to be a distraction. I also turn on satellite radio when in the car, and don't have the volume at window bending levels. I don't consider it a distraction.

I have tried ear buds, both wired and bluetooth. For me, they weren't comfortable under the helmet, and the Airpods didn't want to stay in place (where they certainly do with my other uses of them). The speakers with the Lexin unit are much better: I can hear ambient noises, they are comfortable, and the talk between our scoots is clear. I don't see a downside.
@irieman avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTV 300, [GTV 250], [CB500F], SG250, MINI R59

Addicted
@irieman avatar
GTV 300, [GTV 250], [CB500F], SG250, MINI R59
UTC quote
2 cents...
To OP and fellow headphone wearers- I have wasted all kinds of money and time on good and not-so-good wired and wireless headphones/earbuds for helmet use. The short version of my findings:

I challenge anyone to keep a pair of Apple Airpods in their ears while moving a helmet on or off their noggin...

The Apple Powerbeats Pro win hands down on the wireless, not cheap option...

On the cheap, wired side of the spectrum are the Philips over-the-ear headphones (pictured)...

The over-the-ear format of these headphones work great with stability while riding as well as pulling the helmet on and off, and neither protrude outward enough to mess with the comfort of your favorite helmets.

As OP was not asking about safety, audio quality, pricing, GPS, voice-assistants, etc. I will not speak to those aspects. If I was really smart I would have spent the last few years on this "hunt" documenting my search. Alas, if you'd like more info or insight, I've basically tried every headphone under $200. HMU.

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
@david_masse avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS 300 i.e. ABS sold, 2010 Vespa GTS 300 ie Super (sold) & 2003 Honda Shadow VT750 ACE (sold) & 2006 Vespa LX150 (sold)

Ossessionato
@david_masse avatar
2016 Vespa GTS 300 i.e. ABS sold, 2010 Vespa GTS 300 ie Super (sold) & 2003 Honda Shadow VT750 ACE (sold) & 2006 Vespa LX150 (sold)
UTC quote
I have been using AirPods series 2 for about a month and I love them.

As for riding I might be able to wear them in my Nolan N -104, but wind noise dictates earplugs and AirPods, even the Pros, wouldn't cut it.

For riding Sena plus earplugs is heaven. Scala Cardo comes a close second. I have one of those too.
@larrymk avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa Super 300

Molto Verboso
@larrymk avatar
Vespa Super 300
UTC quote
so in reading this thread and many other threads I hear people talking about wind noise. Now shortly after I bought my Vespa I put an OEM full screen on it and have been riding with it since. In the colder weather it keeps me warmer, especially as it blocks the wind to my hands, and in the warmer weather keeps the bugs from slapping into my face. i also assume it blocks the wind as I do not find the wind noise an issue, but it is possible that I am not bothered by the wind noise as my older ears are not as sharp as they used to be, or I happen to be very good at not paying attention to extraneous noise(something that drives my wife crazy at times). but I am surprised that many people find it so annoying that they wear ear plugs. Now most of my riding is 45 MPH or less and perhaps that is it. Curious what people think

larry
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
UTC quote
LarryMK wrote:
so in reading this thread and many other threads I hear people talking about wind noise. Now shortly after I bought my Vespa I put an OEM full screen on it and have been ridinhg with it since. In the colder weather it keeps me warmer, especially as it blocks the wind to my hands, and in the warmer weather keeps the bugs from slapping into my face. i also assume it blocks the wind as I do not find the wind noise an issue, but it is possible that I am not bothered by the wind noise as my older ears are not as sharp as they used to be, or I happen to be very good at not paying attention to extraneous noise(something that drives my wife crazy at times). but I am surprised that many people find it so annoying that they wear ear plugs. Now most of my riding is 45 MPH or less and perhaps that is it. Curious what people think

larry
Wind noise really becomes a problem at freeway speeds. At about 60 mph and up you can really hear and feel it with helmet buffeting. The BMW is the only bike I have with a big enough screen it's not a problem. With me other bikes a good FF helmet makes a huge difference as do ear plugs. I have a mid size on the Vespa and it does a good job. The Vespa full size screen is great for keeping the elements and bugs at bay but acts as bit of a wind sail at high speed.
@cheshire avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS (sold)

Molto Verboso
@cheshire avatar
GTS (sold)
UTC quote
I tried putting my helmet on with AirPods, but I never could get them to stay in my ears long enough to get past the lining. I went with the base model Sena (S3) for $100. Been using them for several years now and I love them. My primary use is music and navigation. I usually ride solo or commuting, so I don't need group chat in my helmet.
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
UTC quote
Pass
Here comes a truck that you didn't hear.

You're dead now.

Bill x
@cheshire avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS (sold)

Molto Verboso
@cheshire avatar
GTS (sold)
UTC quote
Re: Pass
Bill Dog wrote:

You're dead now.

Bill x
Here comes the morning dose of someone eager to piss in everyone's cornflakes. Seriously. Sod off. As a survivor of a hit-and-run (what led to me getting into PTWs), the kindest way I can put this is that you're very far out of line. Back the hell off and find something you have a proper right to control.

I can hear everything around me perfectly fine, with or without the music playing. How loud do you think people crank the volume? All modern cars, with the exception of convertibles and open-top jeeps, are noise insulated far beyond what a simple set of in-helmet speakers obscure. I don't drive or ride with my ears. I use my eyes, my mirrors, and my freaking brain.
IN FACT, having a voice prompt for my turns allows me to watch the road and traffic MORE because I don't have to keep glancing down for the directions. The music keeps the voice prompt from being so sudden. My playlists keep me calmer and make it much easier to let the idiots in traffic from getting to me. It works for me and others.

No one's trying to make helmet speakers mandatory, so stuff your whining.
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
UTC quote
Opal
I think that's a bit much.

When I ride I want to hear everything and music blocks much of that out.

Now I do ride with my ears. I can hear engines, wind, tyres, sirens, horns and people shouting at me which is why I'm still alive.

That's all I'm saying.

Ride safe

Bill x
@cheshire avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS (sold)

Molto Verboso
@cheshire avatar
GTS (sold)
UTC quote
Re: Bing
Bill Dog wrote:
Pokey Pokey Pokey.

You are so easy to wind up.

Bill x
This makes it extremely difficult to believe your intentions.
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
UTC quote
Re: Opal
Bill Dog wrote:

That's all I'm saying.

Ride safe

Bill x
The point is it doesn't . Have you tried using a Sena or Cardo system? As pointed out they block out less sound than the sound dampening does in modern cars. You CAN hear everything just fine including that truck that is about to plow in to you... It's no different than playing music or the radio etc in a car. Should cars not have sound systems? By your logic I guess they shouldn't and every morning drive radio show jock on the planet just cried a little.

Bill everything to you is black and white. It's fine to have an opinion and say you don't like them and prefer to not use them, just like the other Bill said. Many of us however do like them and I'm sure many of us that like them are pretty intelligent human beings with lots of miles under our butts.

I agree with Cheshire. Having a podcast or something playing helps keep me calm and less aggravated from being stuck in traffic or that idiot that just cut me off. They, really, really do not make it so you can't hear what is going on.
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
UTC quote
Binka
My intentions are true.

All this stuff has kept me alive.

Now I don't want to call rank but I'm guessing that I've ridden a lot further and in worst conditions than you and the reason I'm still alive is because all I focus on is riding and not listening to music.

I was taught this when I was learning to ride and I apply it each time I do which is how I can share this with you.

Driving a car is easy but riding takes such more more application and having a conversation or listening to music is going to distract me and I don't want to be distracted.

Bill x
@david_masse avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@david_masse avatar
UTC quote
Re: Opal
Harbinger wrote:
Bill Dog wrote:

That's all I'm saying.

Ride safe

Bill x
The point is it doesn't . Have you tried using a Sena or Cardo system? As pointed out they block out less sound than the sound dampening does in modern cars. You CAN hear everything just fine including that truck that is about to plow in to you... It's no different than playing music or the radio etc in a car. Should cars not have sound systems? By your logic I guess they shouldn't and every morning drive radio show jock on the planet just cried a little.

Bill everything to you is black and white. It's fine to have an opinion and say you don't like them and prefer to not use them, just like the other Bill said. Many of us however do like them and I'm sure many of us that like them are pretty intelligent human beings with lots of miles under our butts.

I agree with Cheshire. Having a podcast or something playing helps keep me calm and less aggravated from being stuck in traffic or that idiot that just cut me off. They, really, really do not make it so you can't hear what is going on.
I agree totally. I hear traffic just fine wearing silicone earplugs with music playing on my Sena. No different from driving our SUV. Better in fact than with three passengers having a chat with the radio on.
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
UTC quote
Re: Binka
Bill Dog wrote:
Now I don't want to call rank....

Bill x
Yes you do. In fact, you just did.
Now knock it off of it if you please.
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes
UTC quote
Re: Binka
Bill Dog wrote:
Now I don't want to call rank but I'm guessing that I've ridden a lot further and in worst conditions than you and blah blah blah
How's that loud pipe working out for you Bill? Does the diminished sensory awareness make up for the extra performance you needed because the bike you bought isn't quite good enough stock?
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
UTC quote
Echo
The bonus with that loud pipe is that it blocks out the voices in my head.

The other bonus is that all the car alarms are behind you.

The 3rd stroke is that it's the best £100 I ever spent and so much cheaper than a Malossi.

I've got 11.5 hp and I'm going to use it.

Bill x
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
UTC quote
Spar
It seems not.

Wouldn't it be ironic if a truck took me out tomorrow and you were the guy to think it into being.

Be careful what you wish for.

Oh someone deleted their post didn't they ?

Bill x
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
UTC quote
Re: Spar
Bill Dog wrote:
It seems not.

Wouldn't it be ironic if a truck took me out tomorrow and you were the guy to think it into being.

Be careful what you wish for.

Oh someone deleted their post didn't they ?

Bill x
Yup, though it was bit much. It was meant to be humorous based on what you posted about ALL of us that use speaker systems. The thing is you have become a little unpredictable and it was up for maybe 2 minutes. I thought it best to avoid the pokey pokey.

SO test rest know what he is referring to - I had this post up for about 2 minutes, Bill is THAT fast though

Loud Pipes

You're dead now.

The thing is Bill you are pissing off a lot of people in the last few months, including those of us that do care about you. Please stop or you will get banned and there are still some of us that do not want that. We ALL have opinions on things and that is fine, discussion is good. You've gone past having discussions though and everything is very blunt and we can't tell if your'e joking or not. You also keep driving your points home, not to discuss points brought up by others but seemingly just to provoke.
@cheshire avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS (sold)

Molto Verboso
@cheshire avatar
GTS (sold)
UTC quote
It's not much at all, seeing as it's exactly what he said to a hit and run survivor. He's a hypocrite for whining about music when he's running loud pipes and doubly so for whining about his own words coming back around.

I don't have time for him anymore.
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
UTC quote
Cheshire wrote:
It's not much at all, seeing as it's exactly what he said to a hit and run survivor. He's a hypocrite for whining about music when he's running loud pipes and doubly so for whining about his own words coming back around.

I don't have time for him anymore.
Yeah it is EXACTLY what he said . The thing is... I thought it best to take that post down or have him warp it in to something else and have to get a mod in here to clean up that mess. What IS creepy is I had it up for no time at all and he felt the need to bring it up. I obviously took it down for a reason but no... you know pokey pokey.

I've never seen a human set to self destruct on a message board quit like thins and I've been on a number. I don't get it....

Bill you told ALL of us that we would get hit by a truck... But turn it around on you and it's a huge deal? Man... please get a grip or take some time off from MV.
@mikey007 avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2006 Fly 150

Enthusiast
@mikey007 avatar
2006 Fly 150
UTC quote
Bill, what about Deaf people?
I have two excellent riders that are Deaf.

I Have even done track days on my Aprila RSV4 factory with Ted Nugent & Motley Crew Cranked up at Willow Springs and set my Best lap times ever
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@willie_b avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
'20 300GTS Super Tec '09 250 GTSie '75 Rally 200 '79 P200 '09 Stella 221

Ossessionato
@willie_b avatar
UTC quote
I completely agree with Bill on this. We have Cardio systems for the bigger bikes on long rides. They allow communication for numerous riders and are easy to link, you can tele, listen to the nav, summon Siri and so on. I only use mine to communicate. Recently, we embarked on a 10 day ride. Everyone purchased the latest greatest Cardio. At some point early in the ride, mine somehow linked to the music on my phone and I couldn't get it to stop. It was maddening. Trying to ride at a fast clip while punching buttons and turning dials on the side of my helmet and screwing with the phone started to piss me off. I finally had to stop and eventually figured it was linked to my I Watch. Listening to loud music while riding is like sensory deprivation. You can't hear anything but the music. The guy in front of me was constantly on the phone, and I don't know how many times I about ran up his ass. My buddy behind me was either on the phone and listening to music. We would run off from him and kept having to slow down because he wasn't focusing. Say what you may, but multitasking while riding is a deadly distraction. The communicators are good in case someone needs to stop for a potty break, gas or they're having a hard time staying awake. They're also nice when the group is trying to get around slow moving traffic or you see something some asshat in a vehicle is doing that everyone else may not. I unpaired mine with everything but the others in the group. Then you get the guy who wants to talk non stop. They're useful but can be annoying.
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
UTC quote
Sure, I get that is how you feel and can respect that. Some people are however better at Muti-taking than others. What may of us are saying is you are not Muti-taking. I can stop "listening" to Shout at the Devil if I know I should perk up . It's no different in using it with a car and if they are really that deadly then why bother with forcing full face helmet laws but allowing trucks you don't hear run you over? The guy in your group obviously had no clue what he was doing, some of us do.

However as usual we have gone WAY off topic here. The OP simply wanted to know if Air Pods are viable to wear under a helmet. The answer to that I think is probably not, Cardo and Sena systems are far superior.
@cheshire avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS (sold)

Molto Verboso
@cheshire avatar
GTS (sold)
UTC quote
Why did you not take a moment to figure out new and unfamiliar additions to your gear before your ride? Why didn't your group pull over to troubleshoot instead of trying to multitask while riding?

I don't have to touch my phone once I'm moving. For music, I put together playlists beforehand. I have several for different types of riding: commuting, city exploring, rural exploring, late night, and "psycho traffic." (That last one's titled "evasive maneuvers" for a reason. Laughing emoticon )
I still haven't sat down and figured out Siri seamlessly, so if it doesn't work on the first try, I wait until I can pull off the road to do what I was wanting to do.
There are only three buttons I ever use while in motion, 2 of which are by feel: skip song on my phone and volume up & down on my helmet control. If it goes haywire, vol + & - together turn it off until I can pull over.
Honestly, the only reason my phone gets put in my RAM mount is when I need to use GPS.

It's your responsibility to use tech, accessories, gadgets, and farkles responsibly...but don't try to control my use of what works for me and brings joy to my riding.
@cheshire avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS (sold)

Molto Verboso
@cheshire avatar
GTS (sold)
UTC quote
Back on topic....
If I used a half helmet, the new AirPods Pro (with intelligent noise canceling) might be tempting to try out, especially since my 3 year old AirPods (1st gen) just flatlined. I got to where I preferred them to connecting my phone to the car stereo. You can program the earbuds individually: I had one set to "play/pause" & the other to "ask Siri." With two taps, I was completely hands-free.
With Sena, I'm mostly hands-free, but it's enough that I would easily recommend the $100 purchase to those asking.
@willie_b avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@willie_b avatar
UTC quote
Cheshire wrote:
Why did you not take a moment to figure out new and unfamiliar additions to your gear before your ride? Why didn't your group pull over to troubleshoot instead of trying to multitask while riding?

I don't have to touch my phone once I'm moving. For music, I put together playlists beforehand. I have several for different types of riding: commuting, city exploring, rural exploring, late night, and "psycho traffic." (That last one's titled "evasive maneuvers" for a reason. Laughing emoticon )
I still haven't sat down and figured out Siri seamlessly, so if it doesn't work on the first try, I wait until I can pull off the road to do what I was wanting to do.
There are only three buttons I ever use while in motion, 2 of which are by feel: skip song on my phone and volume up & down on my helmet control. If it goes haywire, vol + & - together turn it off until I can pull over.
Honestly, the only reason my phone gets put in my RAM mount is when I need to use GPS.

It's your responsibility to use tech, accessories, gadgets, and farkles responsibly...but don't try to control my use of what works for me and brings joy to my riding.
Either my glove or jacket cuff activated my watch, at the time my phone was paired to the watch but I obviously didn't make the correlation considering iTunes was up on the phone, and considering my iTunes is also on my home computer, which I use to stream music at home, it didn't dawn on me it was my watch which was under my gloves, and they were under the sleeve of my jacket. I'm probably as tech savvy or more than you. I may be from Kentucky, but contrary to popular belief, we do wear shoes down here and my ex wife and I weren't related before we married, I swear. I've ridden my entire life not listening to music or screwing with my phone. Getting on a bike for 10 days is a vacation for me. I'm on my phone talking, texting and e-mailing all my waking hours. When I take a few days off, I tell everyone I'm gone. Fire off a text or an e-mail and I'll get back with you as soon as humanly possible, and not before. We tend to ride pretty hard, and when you're in a group, especially around someone you may not have experience with, I'm up on the bars. If you want to listen to music, screw with your phone, check on an auction item or buy something on craigslist while you're riding, have at it. I wasn't attempting to belittle or scold you on the forum. I have my own children, and considering they're adults, they do as they please, I would expect you to do the same. You might try reading my post again and realize it wasn't directed at you as there have been many folks contributing. Anyone one else who may have been incensed, I'm sorry if I upset anyone. Not really, but it sounded like the right thing to say. We find ourselves residing in times where people don't understand the written word, and come to conclusions based on assumptions. The next time I'll try to post a few pictures.
@cheshire avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS (sold)

Molto Verboso
@cheshire avatar
GTS (sold)
UTC quote
Umm...huh? I don't know where Kentucky or shoes came into it, but...DUDE. I grew up in the mountains of WNC. Moonshiner and hillbilly country. I wasn't attacking you.
@belkwinith avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Honda CTX 700 DN Automatic Motorcycle

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@belkwinith avatar
Honda CTX 700 DN Automatic Motorcycle
UTC quote
I ride in Chicago traffic on and off the tollways with my ancient 2005 iPod and normal wired ear buds.

The way I loose earrings when I put my helmet on and take it off, I think I will stick to wired.

Mind you, I don't really care about the debate... trucks and cars are pretty loud here and aggressive. I make allowances for it. Keep my eyes open, keep my distance.

But I rarely use them when I am riding with others. Unless it's a super long country ride.

I still have not used a GPS. I usually draw up a map and tape it to my bikes gas tank. We call it "The Polish GPS", and since I am polish, it does not offend me in the least. lol.
@larrymk avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa Super 300

Molto Verboso
@larrymk avatar
Vespa Super 300
UTC quote
wow some vitriol in this thread. I use a uclear wireless system just one of the many systems that are out there, I like the uclear but do not think it is any better than the others. I have used my AirPods a few times when I have let my uclear loose its charge and while they are a bit hard to get on with a helmet, once they are on they do seem to be secure. I like to listen to music but keep it low enough so I can hear the world around me. I actually find the music helps me focus as without it my mind seems to wander and I think that is less safe, at least for me. While I can answer my phone with the uclear if I get a call and need to answer it, I pull over for the call. I think everyone handles their ride in a different manner and I do not think we can tell everyone how they should ride. Just my opinion

ride safe

Larry
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150
UTC quote
Re: 2 cents...
irieman wrote:
To OP and fellow headphone wearers- I have wasted all kinds of money and time on good and not-so-good wired and wireless headphones/earbuds for helmet use. The short version of my findings:

I challenge anyone to keep a pair of Apple Airpods in their ears while moving a helmet on or off their noggin...

The Apple Powerbeats Pro win hands down on the wireless, not cheap option...

On the cheap, wired side of the spectrum are the Philips over-the-ear headphones (pictured)...

The over-the-ear format of these headphones work great with stability while riding as well as pulling the helmet on and off, and neither protrude outward enough to mess with the comfort of your favorite helmets.

As OP was not asking about safety, audio quality, pricing, GPS, voice-assistants, etc. I will not speak to those aspects. If I was really smart I would have spent the last few years on this "hunt" documenting my search. Alas, if you'd like more info or insight, I've basically tried every headphone under $200. HMU.

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
If you can get a helmet on with those head phones on, your helmet is WAY too big.
@point37 avatar
UTC

Hooked
'13 Buddy 125 Seafoam

Hooked
@point37 avatar
'13 Buddy 125 Seafoam
UTC quote
wow one question about earbuds and here comes the scooter osha safety police...last i checked everyone is different and while some can't focus with music right in their ears some have absolutely no problem...hearing isn't tested to have a drivers/motorcycle license...on top of that who knows where OP is riding...for all we know he has a 3 mile commute on country roads at a time when there is no one is on the road...not everyone's situation is the same...offer an opinion/some information and move along

now back on topic...i usually don't like earbuds in my ears cause i haven't found any that fit comfortably cause i have small ears and i guess they don't take earbuds well...some create pressure which causes me to have a headache...the best earbuds i've used for comfort are taotronics which are bluetooth but have a wire between the 2 earbuds...they are relatively inexpensive and have a little rubber "arm" which fits inside my ear well and holds them in place...not sure if they would stay in place when i pull a helmet on my head though...i liked them so much i bought a pair of over the ear noise cancelling headphones and a bluetooth transmitter/receiver to use with my tv or around the house...also inexpensive and worked well...personally i use oontz angle 3 ultra bluetooth speaker plus my ipod in my buddy 125 front pocket and just blast the music loud enough to hear cause i'm only riding around town...good sound at speed for $40...if i need directions i will probably just use earbuds and my cell phone and play music through that...not a huge fan of earbuds that aren't connected to one another cause i'd be afraid to lose them...one of the motorcycle communicator systems is probably the best if you want to spend that much

https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/DD96C4D0-AAE9-46B1-B701-C64F066D4B7C?ingress=2&visitId=75f4b3bb-4b7e-401f-9e2a-fd15516dc02d&ref_=bl_dp_s_web_5608252011
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
UTC quote
Table Top
An interesting thing happened a couple of days back.

I was out riding the Benelli on a very cold crisp morning and I was wearing an full face helmet with Christmas Tree earplugs. You know the ones that don't breathe like the foam type do.

Ahead of me is a really stylish large capacity touring bike with all the gear on it but he's not riding it very fast so I'm about 30ft behind him.

Now the Benelli is a little loud, louder than it should be but even though the noise is bouncing off the road behind me and reflecting off the buildings either side I can still hear the sound of the riders chain turning around the sprocket ahead.

I don't understand how that works as it was well lubricated and not clattering around like a dry one.

Bill x
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
UTC quote
Re: Table Top
Bill Dog wrote:
An interesting thing happened a couple of days back.

I was out riding the Benelli on a very cold crisp morning and I was wearing an full face helmet with Christmas Tree earplugs. You know the ones that don't breathe like the foam type do.

Ahead of me is a really stylish large capacity touring bike with all the gear on it but he's not riding it very fast so I'm about 30ft behind him.

Now the Benelli is a little loud, louder than it should be but even though the noise is bouncing off the road behind me and reflecting off the buildings either side I can still hear the sound of the riders chain turning around the sprocket ahead.

I don't understand how that works as it was well lubricated and not clattering around like a dry one.

Bill x
So you are saying that you can parse out a relatively quiet noise over significant ambient noise?

Interesting.... Nerd emoticon

@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
UTC quote
Bing
Yes but was it because the noise is ahead of me travelling back toward me and the majority of my sound is in my wake or is it something else ?

Bill x
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0355s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0137s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]