@ashbrook avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Vespa GTS Kymco AK550

Ossessionato
@ashbrook avatar
Vespa GTS Kymco AK550
UTC quote
If one is a bit deaf one will not be able to appreciate music etc whilst still hearing traffic noise and so cannot really have a valid opinion on riding with earphones.

Kymco scooters produces audible instructions which I don't believe every Kymco owner has properly experienced.

For the record I use an in-helmet Cardo unit, mainly for the navigation and occasionally music on longer journeys. I also wear earplugs which strangely make the Cardo sound better at motorway speeds.

Happy New Year to all.
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip
BMW R1100RT The Problem Child Kymco Downtown 300 - I'm not the Uber Honda Cub - Scorched Earth Policy

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
BMW R1100RT The Problem Child Kymco Downtown 300 - I'm not the Uber Honda Cub - Scorched Earth Policy
UTC quote
Wave
That's me then.

Bill x
@ashbrook avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Vespa GTS Kymco AK550

Ossessionato
@ashbrook avatar
Vespa GTS Kymco AK550
UTC quote
ashbrook wrote:
If one is a bit deaf one will not be able to appreciate music etc whilst still hearing traffic noise and so cannot really have a valid opinion on riding with earphones.

Happy New Year to all.
Is my point valid?
I wouldn't ask a blind person for opinions on colour............
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
UTC quote
Piece
Wow. I just used the walk away button.

That's a first.

Bill x
@fudmucker avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2021 GTS 300 HPE +2013 GTS 300ie + 294 Polini

Ossessionato
@fudmucker avatar
2021 GTS 300 HPE +2013 GTS 300ie + 294 Polini
UTC quote
Re: Opal
Bill Dog wrote:
...When I ride I want to hear everything and music blocks much of that out.

Now I do ride with my ears. I can hear engines, wind, tyres, sirens, horns and people shouting at me which is why I'm still alive.

That's all I'm saying.

Ride safe

I am with Bill on this one... 100%
The only thing I don't want to hear is wind roar.
So I wear ear plugs to limit it.
Yes it does reduce the other sounds as well, but doesn't distract my attention.

When I ride I am with myself - my thoughts, my dreams, my life.
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
UTC quote
Reasons
I think that in the US there are more stretches of road with less traffic on which will give you less vehicles to pay attention to.

In the UK there's a lot less space with a lot more traffic per square mile so there are so many more vehicles to be aware of and so there are more things to listen and look our for, so much so I can only focus on that rather be distracted by talk or music.

I may well just be very simple.

Bill x
@ashbrook avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Vespa GTS Kymco AK550

Ossessionato
@ashbrook avatar
Vespa GTS Kymco AK550
UTC quote
Re: Reasons
Each to their own.
We all have choices to make. I choose to respect anyone else's choice for their own situation.
YMMV
@point37 avatar
UTC

Hooked
'13 Buddy 125 Seafoam

Hooked
@point37 avatar
'13 Buddy 125 Seafoam
UTC quote
Re: Reasons
Bill Dog wrote:
I think that in the US there are more stretches of road with less traffic on which will give you less vehicles to pay attention to.

In the UK there's a lot less space with a lot more traffic per square mile so there are so many more vehicles to be aware of and so there are more things to listen and look our for, so much so I can only focus on that rather be distracted by talk or music.

I may well just be very simple.

Bill x
exactly what i was saying...different locations/situations/people...it's like going for a run in the woods around here with headphones you would more than likely have no issues...but go for a run in the woods in bear/big cat country with headphones may not be a great idea (although you'd be lucky to hear a big cat before it mauls you and these incidents are somewhat uncommon)...running highway speeds or in congested traffic areas maybe no in ear music...riding around town slow or in non-congested traffic areas may be fine for in ear music...it all depends on the individual
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
UTC quote
When in the Data Center with ear buds in, I can hears lots of noises I can't without them on. Now that is odd.
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
UTC quote
Splat
Here's a scenario.

If you're in the pub with a mate and he's drinking too much to drive safely, would you let him carry on drinking because he's done it before and it's all gone smoothly or would you suggest that he stops because it's not what you would do as you wouldn't be prepared to take that risk ?
If later he crashes into a ditch and dies are you responsible because you didn't try and stop him ?

In the same way that a guy who chooses to ride without a helmet isn't going to take the same kind of advice, mainly because he's never had a serious accident so his argument that riding without one is perfectly safe is a good one as he's still alive.

You and I might feel that he's taking an enormous risk but for him he's good to go as he's never had an accident.

So if I'm suggesting that playing music could block out the kind of sounds I feel are important it's only because I don't want you to encounter any kind of injury.

If you know that the girl that your mate is planning to take home has as a bit of a reputation would you let him know or just laugh in his face when he catches something ?

I don't know you or care about you but I care enough to mention something that works for me.

Now I respect the individuals right to take whatever safety precautions they want ( or not ) but for me I want as much information as possible because if I got taken out by someone I didn't hear because I was listening to The Best of Huey Lewis I'd be a bit upset as I would feel I that I'd put myself at risk.

So at the risk of being accused of telling you what to do I'm going to walk away and wish you well with whatever you feel is good for you.

Love and Kisses.

Bill x
@point37 avatar
UTC

Hooked
'13 Buddy 125 Seafoam

Hooked
@point37 avatar
'13 Buddy 125 Seafoam
UTC quote
Re: Splat
Bill Dog wrote:
Here's a scenario.

If you're in the pub with a mate and he's drinking too much to drive safely so would you suggest that he carries on drinking because he's done it before and it's all gone smoothly or would you suggest that he stops because it's not what you would do as you're not prepared to take that risk ?
If later he crashes into a ditch and dies are you responsible because you didn't try and stop him ?

In the same way that a guy who chooses to ride without a helmet isn't going to take the same kind of advice, mainly because he's never had a serious accident so his argument that riding without one is perfectly safe is a good one as he's still alive.

You and I might feel that he's taking an enormous risk but for him he's good to go.

So if I'm suggesting that playing music could block out the kind of sounds I feel are important it's only because I don't want you to encounter any kind of injury.

Now I respect the individuals right to take whatever safety precautions they want but for me I want as much information as possible because if I got taken out by someone I didn't hear because I was listening to The Best of Huey Lewis I'd be a bit upset as I would feel I that I'd put myself at risk.

So at the risk of being accused of telling you what to do I'm going to walk away and wish you well with whatever you feel is good for you.

Love and Kisses.

Bill x
^^bolded for significance...what you feel is important doesn't mean it universally is important for everyone...like i said different people and situations...riding on a highway, yes you may want to be more aware but for the most part at speed you can only hear stuff in front of you or directly on the sides of you...you can't hear much, if anything behind you or in your blind spots...you can see most of the stuff in front of you and on the side of you pretty easily...behind you or in blind spots you need your mirrors or head checks...some people use ear plugs on the highway so they don't go wind deaf, some cause it helps them focus...around a slower speed congested area yes you also may also want to be more aware cause due to the lower speeds you can hear more behind you...but i don't see a problem on country roads or on slow non-congested rides...but Bill if you want as much information as possible why don't you own a Reevue helmet and rely less on trying to hear things?...you know, for safety and the children

as for drinking, i say keep drinking...uber is cheap...but drinking and driving is a lot more dangerous than riding with earbuds...impairs more senses vs a possible slight hearing impairment...not that comparable

riding without a helmet is pretty dumb in my opinion but there are plenty of people in RI/NH/VT/ME/NH that don't wear them...it's their life and their choice...when i started mountain biking when i was 13 i didn't have a helmet and the trails around here are very rocky...got older and started wearing one and def needed it a few times...glad i started wearing it...wrecked a motorcycle on a highway on-ramp with a helmet, gloves, leather jacket, jeans, boots on and walked away with some minor bumps and bruises luckily...motorcycle helmets are required here but i would have worn one even if they weren't...but now during the summer when it's hot i sometimes ride around town on my scooter with a helmet, shorts, sandals and a tshirt...may be dumb in some people's eyes but i'm not them and they're not me

we partially agree and partially disagree...as long as people have the info they need to make a decision themselves, to each their own...smooches
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
UTC quote
Taps
The scenarios are there to suggest to the receiver that you can suggest what you would do and if they feel that they know better because what they do works for them you have done your best.

Horse, water, lead kind of scenario.

Ear plugs work for me because I can still hear all the important stuff while still protecting my ears.

Bill x
@point37 avatar
UTC

Hooked
'13 Buddy 125 Seafoam

Hooked
@point37 avatar
'13 Buddy 125 Seafoam
UTC quote
Re: Taps
Bill Dog wrote:
The scenarios are there to suggest to the receiver that you can suggest what you would do and if they feel that they know better because what they do works for them you have done your best.

Horse, water, lead kind of scenario.

Ear plugs work for me because I can still hear all the important stuff while still protecting my ears.

Bill x
and while i may partially disagree with you, i'm not discounting your opinion or experience in any way...but the multiple my way or the highway beating a dead horse responses did get a little excessive
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
UTC quote
Agreed
Yes and that's why on the previous posting I said I was walking away but I felt obliged to answer you.

Bill x
@amateriat avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)

Ossessionato
@amateriat avatar
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)
UTC quote
No Absolutes
A few weeks ago, I was riding shotgun with Le Wife into Gotham. Right after crossing the Outerbridge from New jersey into Staten Island, she heard a loud roar, but couldn't place the location. I said "big Harley, at 4 o'clock." Sure enough, someone on what looked like a Road King came roaring past on our right. Le Wife said nothing, but I quipped, "You heard it, but couldn't place location. That's why I think 'loud pipes save lives' is BS."

This is a bit of a non-sequitur, yes, but here's my point: what you hear, or think you can hear, with or without electronics, can vary wildly. What's a bit more important to to me is visual confirmation: can you tell me you'll hear someone in a Tesla Model X tearing along to your left (when, perhaps, they shouldn't be making such a maneuver)? Between wind noise around your helmet, and changing motoring tech, some of the old rules don't apply as firmly as they once did. Doesn't mean you totally ignore what's come before, but need to add a few things to your defensive arsenal. I regard my current in-helmet communications system (Cardo Packtalk Slim), far more as an aid than a hindrance: since I make my way through my share of the bills and household upkeep as a freelance tech, its actually important for me to have the ability to field calls on the road, and, as Bill helpfully pointed out (yes, really), there are times on the old super slab where the route is so boring - in the name of making time, of course - that the ability to play a few tunes makes things a bit nicer, the better the sound quality, the better overall. Besides, even though I now have a rather nice phone-mount on the bike, I still prefer taking my GPS turn-by-turn cues via voice.

The coolest thing about the whole setup is that I can do pretty much anything except turn the system on and off using just the sound of my voice. I've ranted about this before, and I guess i'll do it here, on more time: the ability to map a route, take or place a call, dictate a text, or play music, among other things, without taking my hands off the bars or eyes off the road, is a huge feature for me, something cagers have enjoyed for a good deal longer (and stupidly don't take proper advantage of for the most part). This does not, of course, mean you must or should avail yourself of this tech if you regard it as a hindrance or non-necessity to your riding experience and/or your situational awareness, which is always paramount.
⚠️ Last edited by amateriat on UTC; edited 3 times
@point37 avatar
UTC

Hooked
'13 Buddy 125 Seafoam

Hooked
@point37 avatar
'13 Buddy 125 Seafoam
UTC quote
Re: No Absolutes
amateriat wrote:
A few weeks ago, I was riding shotgun with Le Wife into Gotham. Right after crossing the Outerbridge from New jersey into Staten Island, she heard a loud roar, but couldn't place the location. I said "big Harley, at 4 o'clock." Sure enough, someone on what looked like a Road King came roaring past on our left. Le Wife said nothing, but I quipped, "You heard it, but couldn't place location. That's why I think 'loud pipes save lives" is BS."

This is a bit of a non-sequitur, yes, but here's my point: what you hear, or think you can hear, with or without electronics, can vary wildly. What's a bit more important to to me is visual confirmation: can you tell me you'll hear someone in a Tesla Model X tearing along to your left (when, perhaps, they shouldn't be making such a maneuver)? Between wind noise around your helmet, and changing motoring tech, some of the old rules don't apply as firmly as they once did. Doesn't mean you totally ignore what's come before, but need to add a few things to your defensive arsenal. I regard my current in-helmet communications system (Cardo Packtalk Slim), far more as an aid than a hindrance: since I make my way through my share of the bills and household upkeep as a freelance tech, its actually important for me to have the ability to field calls on the road, and, as Bill helpfully pointed out (yes, really), there are times on the old super slab where the route is so boring - in the name of making time, of course - that the ability to play a few tunes makes things a bit nicer, the better the sound quality, the better. Besides, even though I now have a rather nice phone-mount on the bike, I still prefer taking my GPS turn-by-turn cues via voice.

The coolest thing about the whole setup is that I can do pretty much anything except turn the system on and off using just the sound of my voice. I've ranted about this before, and I guess i'll do it here, on more time: the ability to map a route, take or place a call, dictate a text, or play music, among other things, without taking my hands off the bars or eyes off the road, is a huge feature for me, something cagers have enjoyed for a good deal longer (and stupidly don't take proper advantage of for the most part). This does not, of course, mean you must or should avail yourself of this tech if you regard it as a hindrance or non-necessity to your riding experience and/or your situational awareness, which is always paramount.
i agree...the in helmet systems are the best option...if you, can justify the cost, you always wear a full face helmet and you have the need to communicate on the phone while riding...i'm not sure i would spend that much if i just wanted to strictly listen to music though...

the uclear wired option previously mentioned seems like an easy solution if you don't mind wires, you don't want to have to worry about charging a device battery plus a listening device battery and you don't want/like true in ear speakers...

wired earbuds are also a good option for similar reasons...

bluetooth earbuds are nice for less restriction but if your battery dies before the ride ends they are useless but unless you're riding for a really long time you shouldn't have an issue...i also find the added size due to the batteries would cause an issue inside a helmet so try to find the shortest ones you can...i would suggest having a backup pair of wired earbuds if you use them for directions though...if just for music well then i wouldn't worry about a backup pair...

if you lose things get a bluetooth set with a wire between them and grab and id badge clip so you can wrap the vinyl piece around the wire and clip it to your shirt...the wired sets also usually have a remote on the wire that allows you to adjust the volume and pause/play which is a drawback on non-wired versions when you have a helmet on (you'd have to take the helmet off or adjust volume on the music device)...

it all depends on the individuals requirements

side note: i own a pair of 3m worktunes that i use for cutting/trimming the lawn, running my chainsaw, snowblowing, yardwork...they are great to help you focus and block out exterior noise...i have the cheap pair that are am/fm with a 3.5mm male to male plug for a phone or ipod...just don't forget to shut them off and don't leave the 3.5mm plug in when you're not using them (causes it to stay on) and the batteries last quite a while...my next pair i think will be bluetooth with an aux input if these ever die
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
UTC quote
Re: Splat
Bill Dog wrote:
Here's a scenario.

If you're in the pub with a mate and he's drinking too much to drive safely, would you let him carry on drinking because he's done it before and it's all gone smoothly or would you suggest that he stops because it's not what you would do as you wouldn't be prepared to take that risk ?

You and I might feel that he's taking an enormous risk but for him he's good to go as he's never had an accident.

Bill x
If music affected my listening ability that would be true, but at correct volume it doesn't. I can have a conversation with you with my eye buds at the level I ride.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0254s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0103s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]