OP
UTC

Member
Gt 200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 46
Location: Manchester UK
 
Member
Gt 200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 46
Location: Manchester UK
UTC quote
Hi all
So merrily on way to work on 2005 GT200 when under load (uphill or on motorway nearing full throttle) when it starts to "hold back" or "bog down" albeit briefly then fine again then repeated this intermittently.

So various things tried over the course of the last week

Carb off and clean (quick visual check and a blow out with air)
Inlet manifold ok
Pipe put back on underneath of carb that had come loose
Fixed little plunger type jet (one that is actuated by a lever attached to main throttle on rear)
Coil new
Plug new
Ht lead new
Air filter cleaned

More responsive and generally better but problem is still persisting
(Under load i.e. uphill or full throttle on motorway scoot is "bogging down" intermittently?
Any help appreciated
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Joined: UTC
Posts: 7035
Location: Tega Cay, SC
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Joined: UTC
Posts: 7035
Location: Tega Cay, SC
UTC quote
Check the vacuum lines, fuel lines and fuel pump.
@berto avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2006 LX150 (carbed) | 2007 GT200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1928
Location: Toronto
 
Molto Verboso
@berto avatar
2006 LX150 (carbed) | 2007 GT200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1928
Location: Toronto
UTC quote
How's the belt? When was it last changed, and how many miles on it?
OP
UTC

Member
Gt 200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 46
Location: Manchester UK
 
Member
Gt 200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 46
Location: Manchester UK
UTC quote
Tierney wrote:
Check the vacuum lines, fuel lines and fuel pump.
I've ordered a fuel pump yesterday as it does feel like fuel starvation?
OP
UTC

Member
Gt 200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 46
Location: Manchester UK
 
Member
Gt 200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 46
Location: Manchester UK
UTC quote
berto wrote:
How's the belt? When was it last changed, and how many miles on it?
Last year around July and done about 7000 miles!
@wleuthold avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5228
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@wleuthold avatar
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5228
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
UTC quote
Have you disconnected the evap system yet?

Mine all showed those signs, and more, after years of riding.

They all ran much better after bypassing the canister.

Bill
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Joined: UTC
Posts: 7035
Location: Tega Cay, SC
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Joined: UTC
Posts: 7035
Location: Tega Cay, SC
UTC quote
WLeuthold wrote:
Have you disconnected the evap system yet?

Mine all showed those signs, and more, after years of riding.

They all ran much better after bypassing the canister.

Bill
^^^ This. Listen to this guy, he has put more miles on his GT200s than anyone on this forum.
@caschnd1 avatar
UTC

Grumpy Biker
1980 Vespa P200e (sold), 2002 Vespa ET4 (sold), 1949 Harley-Davidson FL
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5443
Location: Sparks, Nevada, USA
 
Grumpy Biker
@caschnd1 avatar
1980 Vespa P200e (sold), 2002 Vespa ET4 (sold), 1949 Harley-Davidson FL
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5443
Location: Sparks, Nevada, USA
UTC quote
A few years back I helped another MV member with a very similar problem on his GT200. Turned out to be a tear in the diaphragm of the fuel tap. It's easy to check. Pull the vacuum line off the fuel tap (the line on the bottom) and see if fuel runs out. If it does, replace the fuel tap.

-Craig
@caschnd1 avatar
UTC

Grumpy Biker
1980 Vespa P200e (sold), 2002 Vespa ET4 (sold), 1949 Harley-Davidson FL
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5443
Location: Sparks, Nevada, USA
 
Grumpy Biker
@caschnd1 avatar
1980 Vespa P200e (sold), 2002 Vespa ET4 (sold), 1949 Harley-Davidson FL
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5443
Location: Sparks, Nevada, USA
UTC quote
Here is the old thread with some discussion about the symptoms. See if these still sound like your issue: UPDATE!!!! Arizona mechanic help needed.

-Craig
@vespergeezer avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS300, Cosa LX200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 584
Location: Sunny South West UK
 
Addicted
@vespergeezer avatar
GTS300, Cosa LX200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 584
Location: Sunny South West UK
UTC quote
Evaporation system?
On a UK scoot?
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: UTC
Posts: 43882
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
 
Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: UTC
Posts: 43882
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
UTC quote
Re: Evaporation system?
VesperGeezer wrote:
On a UK scoot?
Certainly not on a UK GT200!
OP
UTC

Member
Gt 200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 46
Location: Manchester UK
 
Member
Gt 200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 46
Location: Manchester UK
UTC quote
caschnd1 wrote:
A few years back I helped another MV member with a very similar problem on his GT200. Turned out to be a tear in the diaphragm of the fuel tap. It's easy to check. Pull the vacuum line off the fuel tap (the line on the bottom) and see if fuel runs out. If it does, replace the fuel tap.

-Craig
Thanks I'll look at thet when I get home!
OP
UTC

Member
Gt 200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 46
Location: Manchester UK
 
Member
Gt 200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 46
Location: Manchester UK
UTC quote
VesperGeezer wrote:
On a UK scoot?
Yes mate a U.K. scoot
@vespergeezer avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS300, Cosa LX200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 584
Location: Sunny South West UK
 
Addicted
@vespergeezer avatar
GTS300, Cosa LX200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 584
Location: Sunny South West UK
UTC quote
No evap, then as per JimC.

My money would be on a tear in diaphragm (I had this once on a car carb).
You said you'd cleaned the carb- did you do the jets too?

Good luck!
@wleuthold avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5228
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@wleuthold avatar
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5228
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
UTC quote
Re: Evaporation system?
jimc wrote:
VesperGeezer wrote:
On a UK scoot?
Certainly not on a UK GT200!
I replied from my phone, that doesn't show the location of posters.
Should I have seen that it was a UK scooter, I wouldn't have offered my advice.
Bill
OP
UTC

Member
Gt 200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 46
Location: Manchester UK
 
Member
Gt 200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 46
Location: Manchester UK
UTC quote
[quote="WLeuthold"]Have you disconnected the evap system yet?

Mine all showed those signs, and more, after years of riding.

They all ran much better after bypassing the canister.

I would if I knew what that was pal!!! Pray, tell me more?
OP
UTC

Member
Gt 200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 46
Location: Manchester UK
 
Member
Gt 200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 46
Location: Manchester UK
UTC quote
[quote="WLeuthold"]
jimc wrote:
VesperGeezer wrote:
On a UK scoot?
Certainly not on a UK GT200!
I replied from my phone, that doesn't show the location of posters.
Should I have seen that it was a UK scooter, I wouldn't have offered my advice.


How so?
OP
UTC

Member
Gt 200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 46
Location: Manchester UK
 
Member
Gt 200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 46
Location: Manchester UK
UTC quote
Ok guys I'm a bit lost, I'm assuming That a U.K. scoot doesn't have a evap system or is it you don't want to offer advice to a Brit?
@caschnd1 avatar
UTC

Grumpy Biker
1980 Vespa P200e (sold), 2002 Vespa ET4 (sold), 1949 Harley-Davidson FL
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5443
Location: Sparks, Nevada, USA
 
Grumpy Biker
@caschnd1 avatar
1980 Vespa P200e (sold), 2002 Vespa ET4 (sold), 1949 Harley-Davidson FL
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5443
Location: Sparks, Nevada, USA
UTC quote
EVAP systems are North America only.
OP
UTC

Member
Gt 200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 46
Location: Manchester UK
 
Member
Gt 200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 46
Location: Manchester UK
UTC quote
caschnd1 wrote:
EVAP systems are North America only.
Ah I see, thanks for that. I thought I was being lambasted!
OP
UTC

Member
Gt 200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 46
Location: Manchester UK
 
Member
Gt 200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 46
Location: Manchester UK
UTC quote
VesperGeezer wrote:
No evap, then as per JimC.

My money would be on a tear in diaphragm (I had this once on a car carb).
You said you'd cleaned the carb- did you do the jets too?

Good luck!
Yep
OP
UTC

Member
Gt 200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 46
Location: Manchester UK
 
Member
Gt 200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 46
Location: Manchester UK
UTC quote
[quote="Brettyboo"]
VesperGeezer wrote:
No evap, then as per JimC.

My money would be on a tear in diaphragm (I had this once on a car carb).
You said you'd cleaned the carb- did you do the jets too?

Good luck!




I blew out he jets wit a can of compressed air (keyboard cleaner)

Checked for tear in fuel tap diaphragm but seems ok so changed the fuel pump, will see tomorrow what that brings?




Yep
OP
UTC

Member
Gt 200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 46
Location: Manchester UK
 
Member
Gt 200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 46
Location: Manchester UK
UTC quote
Brettyboo wrote:
caschnd1 wrote:
A few years back I helped another MV member with a very similar problem on his GT200. Turned out to be a tear in the diaphragm of the fuel tap. It's easy to check. Pull the vacuum line off the fuel tap (the line on the bottom) and see if fuel runs out. If it does, replace the fuel tap.

-Craig
Thanks I'll look at thet when I get home!
Checked this, but just wondered, does engine need to be running or not for his check?
@caschnd1 avatar
UTC

Grumpy Biker
1980 Vespa P200e (sold), 2002 Vespa ET4 (sold), 1949 Harley-Davidson FL
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5443
Location: Sparks, Nevada, USA
 
Grumpy Biker
@caschnd1 avatar
1980 Vespa P200e (sold), 2002 Vespa ET4 (sold), 1949 Harley-Davidson FL
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5443
Location: Sparks, Nevada, USA
UTC quote
You don't want the engine running.
Just pull the bottom hose on the fuel tap and see if gas drips out.

-Craig
OP
UTC

Member
Gt 200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 46
Location: Manchester UK
 
Member
Gt 200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 46
Location: Manchester UK
UTC quote
caschnd1 wrote:
You don't want the engine running.
Just pull the bottom hose on the fuel tap and see if gas drips out.

-Craig
Ok, I tried that and no gas dripping out, hopefully fuel pump will sort the issue!!!
OP
UTC

Member
Gt 200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 46
Location: Manchester UK
 
Member
Gt 200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 46
Location: Manchester UK
UTC quote
Brettyboo wrote:
caschnd1 wrote:
You don't want the engine running.
Just pull the bottom hose on the fuel tap and see if gas drips out.

-Craig
Ok, I tried that and no gas dripping out, hopefully fuel pump will sort the issue!!!
Went back and looked at the thread where you helped the guy out with similar problems on his scoot, made me think about how unimportant some of my problems are..............
@wleuthold avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5228
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@wleuthold avatar
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5228
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
UTC quote
Brettyboo wrote:
Ok guys I'm a bit lost, I'm assuming That a U.K. scoot doesn't have a evap system or is it you don't want to offer advice to a Brit?
I know that the evap canister is unique to US scooters.

I like many of you Brits.

Bill
OP
UTC

Member
Gt 200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 46
Location: Manchester UK
 
Member
Gt 200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 46
Location: Manchester UK
UTC quote
WLeuthold wrote:
Brettyboo wrote:
Ok guys I'm a bit lost, I'm assuming That a U.K. scoot doesn't have a evap system or is it you don't want to offer advice to a Brit?
I know that the evap canister is unique to US scooters.

I like many of you Brits.

Bill
Lol, ok buddy 😁
@everytimeidom avatar
UTC

Hooked
2003 ET2 (SOLD); 2004 GT200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 396
Location: Atlanta, GA
 
Hooked
@everytimeidom avatar
2003 ET2 (SOLD); 2004 GT200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 396
Location: Atlanta, GA
UTC quote
Hopefully replacing the fuel pump sorts it for you. I also saw a good suggestion that you check/replace your fuel/vacuum lines. If those are the culprit, replacing the fuel pump won't do you any good.

If it's not fuel delivery, it could be transmission-related. Depending on what belt you put in there, 7,000 miles may be pushing it. Since you're at the replacement interval, I'd suggest putting a new OEM belt in. Best case scenario it fixes your problem, worst case scenario it's insurance against a belt breakage that can be quite a mess to clean up (don't ask me how I know.. ) While you do the belt, check your rollers for wear/flat spots. That can also cause issues with the transmission's operation.
@tdrake avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2006 GT200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2981
Location: Moscow, Idaho
 
Ossessionato
@tdrake avatar
2006 GT200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2981
Location: Moscow, Idaho
UTC quote
Brettyboo wrote:
caschnd1 wrote:
EVAP systems are North America only.
Ah I see, thanks for that. I thought I was being lambasted!
Also, we're still pissed about 1812.
OP
UTC

Member
Gt 200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 46
Location: Manchester UK
 
Member
Gt 200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 46
Location: Manchester UK
UTC quote
everytimeidom wrote:
Hopefully replacing the fuel pump sorts it for you. I also saw a good suggestion that you check/replace your fuel/vacuum lines. If those are the culprit, replacing the fuel pump won't do you any good.

If it's not fuel delivery, it could be transmission-related. Depending on what belt you put in there, 7,000 miles may be pushing it. Since you're at the replacement interval, I'd suggest putting a new OEM belt in. Best case scenario it fixes your problem, worst case scenario it's insurance against a belt breakage that can be quite a mess to clean up (don't ask me how I know.. ) While you do the belt, check your rollers for wear/flat spots. That can also cause issues with the transmission's operation.
Hi, the belt was oem and I put Dr pulley rollers in at the same time, just out of interest how could the belt make it "hold back/splutter" intermittently?

The fuel pump didn't sort it so I've ordered a fuel tap (for the sake of $15 it's worth a try)!
I'm at the end of my rope with it, as it's fine one day then no good the next?!?
OP
UTC

Member
Gt 200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 46
Location: Manchester UK
 
Member
Gt 200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 46
Location: Manchester UK
UTC quote
tdrake wrote:
Brettyboo wrote:
caschnd1 wrote:
EVAP systems are North America only.
Ah I see, thanks for that. I thought I was being lambasted!
Also, we're still pissed about 1812.
Still? 🙄
@everytimeidom avatar
UTC

Hooked
2003 ET2 (SOLD); 2004 GT200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 396
Location: Atlanta, GA
 
Hooked
@everytimeidom avatar
2003 ET2 (SOLD); 2004 GT200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 396
Location: Atlanta, GA
UTC quote
Brettyboo wrote:
Hi, the belt was oem and I put Dr pulley rollers in at the same time, just out of interest how could the belt make it "hold back/splutter" intermittently?
If the belt is worn it becomes prone to slippage, especially under high load. The hesitation you are describing could possibly be your belt slipping. At 7,000 miles it's time to change out the belt anyway, so even if it's not the problem it's something that should be done soon regardless.
OP
UTC

Member
Gt 200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 46
Location: Manchester UK
 
Member
Gt 200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 46
Location: Manchester UK
UTC quote
everytimeidom wrote:
Brettyboo wrote:
Hi, the belt was oem and I put Dr pulley rollers in at the same time, just out of interest how could the belt make it "hold back/splutter" intermittently?
If the belt is worn it becomes prone to slippage, especially under high load. The hesitation you are describing could possibly be your belt slipping. At 7,000 miles it's time to change out the belt anyway, so even if it's not the problem it's something that should be done soon regardless.
Oh ok, makes sense! I will do that ASAP then!
@abner_bjorn avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2007 GT200, 2008 Yamaha C3, 2009 BV250
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1145
Location: Denver
 
Molto Verboso
@abner_bjorn avatar
2007 GT200, 2008 Yamaha C3, 2009 BV250
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1145
Location: Denver
UTC quote
Have you replaced the fuel and vacuum lines? These have completely outlived their useful life if they are original. The lines will crap out before the fuel pump or petcock.
OP
UTC

Member
Gt 200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 46
Location: Manchester UK
 
Member
Gt 200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 46
Location: Manchester UK
UTC quote
Abner_Bjorn wrote:
Have you replaced the fuel and vacuum lines? These have completely outlived their useful life if they are original. The lines will crap out before the fuel pump or petcock.
I haven't even thought about changing them!

Another job on the list!
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee
 

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com


All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.


[ Time: 0.0233s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0064s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]