@mayorofnow avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS 300 HPE

Molto Verboso
@mayorofnow avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
I understand "dress for the slide; not for the ride;" in most cases, the risk profile of riding a Vespa is similar to riding a motorcycle (at similar speeds). The place where that seems less true is footwear: Vespas don't have foot pegs, shift levers, or 500lbs of metal sandwiching your foot to the pavement. (In fact, the leg shield could protect your legs in a lowside.) Thus, the features of motorcycle shoes might not be as useful on a Vespa.

Which makes me wonder, what should I be wearing on my Vespa?
⚠️ Last edited by mayorofnow on UTC; edited 1 time
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up
UTC quote
At the least something leather that covers your ankles. If you go down there is still a good chance you will slide along the pavement and ankles have very thin skin.... Not to mention even if you low side there is no way of knowing the leg shields will offer any protection if you come off the scoot.

That being said there are occasions I will wear Chuck Taylors on my Vespa though I do know better. I gear up less on it usually than my other bikes even though the fall is for the most part the same.

BTW if you are surprised the subject line includes something that is more related to bull fighting than riding you are far from the first. A few phrases and acronyms do that around here. I could go in to he reasons but little point... it just is.
⚠️ Last edited by Harbinger on UTC; edited 1 time
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT
UTC quote
"Should" is a word I'd tend to avoid when suggesting safety gear.

It would be like me saying that listening to music while riding is not wise.
I could say something like "You would be stupid to do so", which would elicit a certain response.
Or I could say, "I don't believe it a safe practice, here's what I do" which is a different way of saying basically the same thing but without that 'tone'.
(I listen to music while I ride, pretty much all the time.)

Anyway, to start, I'll say you should wear whatever satisfies your risk tolerance.

Personally I wear steel toe boots that cover my ankles.

As to the leg shield protecting your feet, what if, purely by reflex, you put a foot down, and your scooter proceeds to fall right on top of it?

@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
BV400, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125

Ossessionato
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC quote
Leather boots that cover your ankles. Such as work boots or motorcycle boots.

There's not a lot of difference between 500 lb and 250 lb when it's on your foot, and a leg shield on a scooter doesn't protect your leg when you fall off. I know from first-hand experience.

What you wear is up to you, but you did ask for recommendations!

(I wear my Red Wings usually.)
@caschnd1 avatar
UTC

Grumpy Biker
1980 Vespa P200e (sold), 2002 Vespa ET4 (sold), 1949 Harley-Davidson FL

Grumpy Biker
@caschnd1 avatar
1980 Vespa P200e (sold), 2002 Vespa ET4 (sold), 1949 Harley-Davidson FL
UTC quote
^^^^^^^ THIS!
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
UTC quote
JKJ-FZ6 wrote:
Leather boots that cover your ankles. Such as work boots or motorcycle boots.

There's not a lot of difference between 500 lb and 250 lb when it's on your foot, and a leg shield on a scooter doesn't protect your leg when you fall off. I know from first-hand experience.

What you wear is up to you, but you did ask for recommendations!

(I wear my Red Wings usually.)
+1 on the Red Wings. I literally just got home and took mine off
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@larrytsg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1979 P200e

Ossessionato
@larrytsg avatar
1979 P200e
UTC quote
I've seen plenty of bent and mangled leg shields, so it doesn't speak too highly of their ability to do more than keep the wind and bugs off of you.

Find something that is comfortable to wear and walk in. I have an old pair of Alpinestars boots from my motorcycle days. They kinda resemble cowboy boots .
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC quote
You don't NEED the pads on motorcycle boots that keep the toes from getting scuffed by the shift lever when you're riding a scooter -- but they do no harm either.
@miguel avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@miguel avatar
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT
UTC quote
You can't predict what your feed are going to do in a slide. If you have M/C boots for your other bikes, I'd recommend just wearing them. They may not be needed if you go down but they won't hurt either.

Best
Miguel
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956
UTC quote
Helmet (jet in summer, modular in winter), reinforced gloves, jeans, T-shirt in summer and high-necked sweater in winter, shoes strictly Adidas Stan Smith.
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350
UTC quote
Madison Sully wrote:
As to the leg shield protecting your feet, what if, purely by reflex, you put a foot down, and your scooter proceeds to fall right on top of it?

Yeah, I'll never forget that feeling....or the weeks it took to grow skin back.

I'm an antique Fabiano hiking boot fan myself. Butt-ugly according to my wife, but I've had them forever (resoled twice). Got my Red Wings waiting their turn, as well as a pair of Alpinestars that I wear when in the mood.....

High tops not only protect the skin on the ankle, but also keep your footwear from popping off in a crash. Nerd emoticon
@pmatulew avatar
UTC

Hooked
2009 MP3 400, 2004 Honda ST1300

Hooked
@pmatulew avatar
UTC quote
The pavement doesn't care what machine you fall off of.

Our local group got a reality check a couple years back when an inexperienced member of a weekend riding party tangled with a guardrail. Low speed 20mph corner (taken at an honest 20mph). As she flipped over the guardrail her foot snagged on a signpost. Her "fashion" boot tore off and stayed with the sign while the rest of her tumbled down the bank. Luckily they were able to repair her foot to mostly normal function.
@rrider avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)

Ossessionato
@rrider avatar
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
UTC quote
Do like I say, not like I do..

What many others have said: unfortunately foot protection or the lack of it is the same for Vespa as it is for motorcycles.

But yeah... my personal bad habbit is the "around the block" ride, either to a store nearby or just for fun... done with my garden shoes, the "classic"... hmmm...

Just the last summer I noticed my trusty left chrocodile shoe has a mark where it touches the gear level

And I do know, it's all fun and games until...
UTC

Hooked
2008 S150, 2012 GTS 300, 2002 R1150R

Hooked
UTC quote
Regular shoes come off in a slide

I know...
@mjrally avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
73 & 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 06 PX150, 59 Ser 2, 65 Silver Special, 90 V5N 50, 2015 HD Road Glide Special

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@mjrally avatar
73 & 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 06 PX150, 59 Ser 2, 65 Silver Special, 90 V5N 50, 2015 HD Road Glide Special
UTC quote
Something with over the ankle protection. If you're fashionable find something that better for warm weather so you can wear it out and about.

Search every crash thread on here and 95% of them will have some ankle/lower leg injury from the scooter laying on the low side leg.
@breaknwind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Red Devil SH150i (10,000)

Ossessionato
@breaknwind avatar
Red Devil SH150i (10,000)
UTC quote
If I'm going to put my helmet on, I'm going to put my boots on.
Nuff said.
@alejandro_waspa avatar
UTC

Excalibur Gray Granturismo 200L

@alejandro_waspa avatar
UTC quote
First Post, and this is actually good.
So they're really, really, really hard to find: TCX Street Ace.

Reasons to love them: Comfort, stylishly Italian in origin, CE EN 1364:2015 Certified. They look kinda worn out of the box for style reasons, too.

Basically, if you want to look like you have Chuck Taylors on, but want to be CE-1 legal for the track. Here's your new boot (if you can find them)

I paid about $150 brand new for my set, and the distributor said I got the last size 44 in the USA until the next model run/line.

So yeah, humble brag, but also super 10 out of 10 would recommend.
@tonyc avatar
UTC

Hooked
bv350, Brutale 910

Hooked
@tonyc avatar
bv350, Brutale 910
UTC quote
pmatulew wrote:
The pavement doesn't care what machine you fall off of.

Our local group got a reality check a couple years back when an inexperienced member of a weekend riding party tangled with a guardrail. Low speed 20mph corner (taken at an honest 20mph). As she flipped over the guardrail her foot snagged on a signpost. Her "fashion" boot tore off and stayed with the sign while the rest of her tumbled down the bank. Luckily they were able to repair her foot to mostly normal function.
that just made my sphincter tighten (as I decided not to wear riding boots to lunch just now).

mostly lI wear ridiculous looking oxstar track boots even on the scooter ride. They're so overbuilt I think there's a steel plate on the bottom or something...
@rrider avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@rrider avatar
UTC quote
Re: First Post, and this is actually good.
Alejandro_Waspa wrote:

Reasons to love them: Comfort, stylishly Italian in origin, CE EN 1364:2015 Certified. They look kinda worn out of the box for style reasons, too.

Basically, if you want to look like you have Chuck Taylors on, but want to be CE-1 legal for the track. Here's your new boot (if you can find them)

I paid about $150 brand new for my set, and the distributor said I got the last size 44 in the USA until the next model run/line.

Nice! I have the X-Groove model myself - quite similar style, but mine has a zipper at the side, I'm lazy with laces. Yours look like they would breath better, mine are water proof and breathing is not their best feature...but they do seem to hold back water quite nicely.
@alejandro_waspa avatar
UTC

@alejandro_waspa avatar
UTC quote
RRider wrote:
Nice! I have the X-Groove model myself - quite similar style, but mine has a zipper at the side, I'm lazy with laces. Yours look like they would breath better, mine are water proof and breathing is not their best feature...but they do seem to hold back water quite nicely.
Glad someone else is on the same band-wagon! That's two votes for TCX!

I'm planning on using a nice can of scotch guard when I remember to stop by the local hardware store for another 17mm spanner. (Don't you hate it when you forget a single tool in a car when it gets totalled?)
UTC

Hooked
GTS 300

Hooked
GTS 300
UTC quote
I have a pair of Magnum side zip boots for warm weather. They have a very substantial lug type sole and breath fairly well in the heat. Police wear them and swear by them.

For colder /wet weather I have an old pair of motorcycle boots, I forget the manufacturer but they were not inexpensive.

Best boots I have ever had for riding were made by a BMW supplier , were sold as BMW Air , or something like that. Leather in all the right places and a ventilated side panel . Would love to find another pair, they were light and comfortable for walking.

On occasion I have been known to wear sneakers for a short putt about, but I do not recommend it.
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Echoing DandyDoug, BMW has made a mid calf boot which is protective and is comfortable for walking. I've used the BMW Allround boots for several years on both the larger BMW R1150R abd also on the Vespa. Pants fit over it so it looks almost like a shoe when walking, or you can fit the boot over the pants leg, which I prefer for shifting on the motorcycle

I've had the big bike down on my left leg when I couldn't hold it up on an incline, and no injury at all to my ankle or foot
UTC

Vespa GTS 250ie

Vespa GTS 250ie
UTC quote
I've come off on a BV250, Scarabeo 500ie, but not the Vespa - each time I was wearing leather boots, not motorcycle boots - just Wolverine 1000 mile boots and the like. Each time I kept my feet "inside" the scooter while sliding. Each time my ankles and feet have been fine. My jeans needed replacing and I was grateful to be wearing a Cordura mesh jacket or a winter equivalent. It had body armour so my elbows and shoulders were protected from impact and abrasion.

I got no problem with people wearing whatever they want - I've found the gear that works for me and I stick with it.
Jacket with D30 armour
Modular helmet
Gloves - for the love of all things dextrous - wear some gloves!!
Leather boots
Jeans

Now, in summer I will sometimes wear different shoes and I have been known to wear some shorts sometimes - but that's cause it gets over 110 here sometimes, which just feels like you're riding in a hairdryer. Mind you - riding here in Perth in winter is vastly more dangerous because it doesn't rain much here and so when it does, it seems like the drivers all lose the plot and panic lol - hence every time I've been hit by a car it's been winter!
@larrymk avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa Super 300

Molto Verboso
@larrymk avatar
Vespa Super 300
UTC quote
i argue with my self what to wear on my Vespa. I do feel that if you fall it does not matter whether on a Vespa or motorcycle or even a bicycle the ground is hard and will do damage.

So I always wear a helmet usually 3/4 but it is modular and when colder goes to full helmet. Always wear over the ankle boots I got at RevZIlla and they have ventilation so ok when hot, in cold weather I have Frye boots which go halfway up my leg. I always wear an armored mesh jacket, has several layers depending on the weather so can wear over many weather conditions. Armored gloves, mesh in summer, leather in colder weather. Pants are variable but never shorts. What we wear is a very personal choice, it depends on your level of concern. I try not to ride in rain although I have been caught in rain many times as they do not predict weather very well in the Chicago area. If it is super hot I also usually don't ride as I feel naked not wearing protective equipment. Just my opinion safe riding

larry
UTC

Hooked
GTS 300 HPE

Hooked
GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
What does a.t.g.a.t.t. stand for?
@pmatulew avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@pmatulew avatar
UTC quote
"All The Gear, All The Time" hotly debated topic that boils down to deciding what level of risk you're willing to accept and dressing appropriately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lh1_-foBHp0
UTC

Hooked
P200e

Hooked
P200e
UTC quote
Madison Sully wrote:

My son went lowside on his vino50 at 10 mph and smashed his ankle. Only injury he had
@pigletpilot avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Gina, 1965 Vespa 180SS, Bella,1968 Vespa 150 Super, Mia, 2017 Vespa Primavera 70th Anniversary 150ie, Gabriella, 2017 GTS300 ABS

Molto Verboso
@pigletpilot avatar
Gina, 1965 Vespa 180SS, Bella,1968 Vespa 150 Super, Mia, 2017 Vespa Primavera 70th Anniversary 150ie, Gabriella, 2017 GTS300 ABS
UTC quote
I am a fan of looking after my feet/ankles in particular. I briefly rode in Chuck Taylors but felt exposed so have been wearing locally sourced 1Tonne boots. They are mid calf height with a side zip and velcro to keep the boot tight around the leg. I have just started wearing Dririder Classics which are lace up and are similar to a Dr Martens boot. Brand new and very comfortable.
As an aside I am one for helmet, gloves, jacket and pants, all protective style. I chose to replace a one year old helmet earlier this year after I lost control of it immediately after taking it off my head and chasing it all the way to the ground and damaging the gel coat. Can't be too careful in my mind.
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
UTC quote
Re: A.T.G.A.T.T. footwear
mayorofnow wrote:
I understand "dress for the slide; not for the ride;" in most cases, the risk profile of riding a Vespa is similar to riding a motorcycle (at similar speeds). The place where that seems less true is footwear: Vespas don't have foot pegs, shift levers, or 500lbs of metal sandwiching your foot to the pavement. (In fact, the leg shield could protect your legs in a lowside.) Thus, the features of motorcycle shoes might not be as useful on a Vespa.

Which makes me wonder, what should I be wearing on my Vespa?
Nope doesn't protect once you hit the ground and start sliding.
Example below, was going only 35 MPH
UTC

Hooked
GTS 300

Hooked
GTS 300
UTC quote
Something I have been wondering ?

I watch a lot of the SIP and GSF forum posts and rides.
T shirts, shorts , sneakers seem to be the regular attire .

The GSF riders seem to be about the same.

I know for a fact that German law requires a helmet , but am surprised at their cavalier attitude towards body protection.

The folks at SLUK are a bit more" ride attired ", but that may have as much to do with the wonderful British weather as need for protection.

Maybe the pavement in Germany is softer than in the UK
@jixaw avatar
UTC

Hooked
2003 Vespa ET2

Hooked
@jixaw avatar
2003 Vespa ET2
UTC quote
I have been getting into motorcycle boots that look like sneakers...I can wear these all day if I had to

No slip soles...armor around the heel and ankle...

Dainese Street Air boots

I swap them for my dress shoes when I get to work but now at least I don't look like I just walked off the set of Easy Rider when I am off the scoot
@rrider avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@rrider avatar
UTC quote
DandyDoug wrote:

I know for a fact that German law requires a helmet , but am surprised at their cavalier attitude towards body protection.

The folks at SLUK are a bit more" ride attired ", but that may have as much to do with the wonderful British weather as need for protection.

Probably has something to do with these being " only scooters" - the German motorcycle riders I've met do wear proper gear.

In Finland almost all scooters are 50cc, ridden by kids under 18 years. Helmet is mandatory, but nobody wears anything else with armour. This kind of reinforces the thinking that scoot = no armour required... may be the same in Germany.

That said, around here it seem to be typical that if you have an old scooter you don't wear armour. If you have a GTS300 I would say 90%, mayby more of the owners ride in motorcycle gear. Me riding a 125cc Sprint in full gear was perfectly normal.
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
UTC quote
RRider wrote:
DandyDoug wrote:

Probably has something to do with these being " only scooters" - the German motorcycle riders I've met do wear proper gear.

In Finland almost all scooters are 50cc, ridden by kids under 18 years. Helmet is mandatory, but nobody wears anything else with armour. This kind of reinforces the thinking that scoot = no armour required... may be the same in Germany.

That said, around here it seem to be typical that if you have an old scooter you don't wear armour. If you have a GTS300 I would say 90%, mayby more of the owners ride in motorcycle gear. Me riding a 125cc Sprint in full gear was perfectly normal.
I can see that and respect it but TBH I don't know if I would wear gear on a smallie. Helmet of course and probably gloves but that would be it. I'd just feel silly all geared up on a bike I can't shoot down an on ramp to the freeway and get up to freeway speeds by the end of said ramp. That's my problem though and you are the smarter one of the 2 of us. Mind you I'm also the same idiot that's been over 100 mph on a Vespa.
@ravenlore avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2009 GTS 250ie "Jigokuchou" 2001 ET2 "Luna"

Molto Verboso
@ravenlore avatar
2009 GTS 250ie "Jigokuchou" 2001 ET2 "Luna"
UTC quote
Alejandro_Waspa wrote:

Second TCX Streets. I have a pair of first-gen WP and second-gen Air. They are comfortable enough to wear all day if need be!
@rrider avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@rrider avatar
UTC quote
Harbinger wrote:
RRider wrote:
DandyDoug wrote:

I can see that and respect it but TBH I don't know if I would wear gear on a smallie. Helmet of course and probably gloves but that would be it. I'd just feel silly all geared up on a bike I can't shoot down an on ramp to the freeway and get up to freeway speeds by the end of said ramp. That's my problem though and you are the smarter one of the 2 of us. Mind you I'm also the same idiot that's been over 100 mph on a Vespa.
Cant' brag too much about being smart - most of the time I do wear full gear. Still, I have the bad habbit of using Crocs for around corner rides. Even worse, I really should know better as I have once hurt my big toe, just because I did not wear proper riding shoes and happened to go down. My toe did not broke, only strained (or something, can't actually remember other than that no bones were broken), but it did hurt like heck for a long time. Not to mention the practical part of not being able to wear a shoe.... but apparently, for me, it's now too long ago to feel real anymore
@captain_jim avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS 300 HPE

Molto Verboso
@captain_jim avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
jixaw wrote:
I have been getting into motorcycle boots that look like sneakers...I can wear these all day if I had to

Dainese Street Air boots

I swap them for my dress shoes when I get to work but now at least I don't look like I just walked off the set of Easy Rider when I am off the scoot
It would be great to find something like these in an EE width. Over the years, I have had Bates, Redwing, Corbin (yeah, Corbin offered riding boots back in the day), and various hiking boots. Sure would be nice to have a casual boot that would be worn off the scoot...in a wide width.

Anyone here know of something like these that comes in Neanderthal sizes?
UTC

Enthusiast
2012 LXV150

Enthusiast
2012 LXV150
UTC quote
Harbinger wrote:
RRider wrote:
DandyDoug wrote:

For really short errands, I admit to wearing trainers or leather desert boots. For longer rides I love my Doc Martens.
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
UTC quote
Captain Jim wrote:
jixaw wrote:

Dainese Street Air boots

It would be great to find something like these in an EE width. Over the years, I have had Bates, Redwing, Corbin (yeah, Corbin offered riding boots back in the day), and various hiking boots. Sure would be nice to have a casual boot that would be worn off the scoot...in a wide width.

Anyone here know of something like these that comes in Neanderthal sizes?
I have the same problem need wide shoes..
@tonyc avatar
UTC

Hooked
bv350, Brutale 910

Hooked
@tonyc avatar
bv350, Brutale 910
UTC quote
am i the only person constantly scooting around in full length "track" boots looking like I just stepped out of a 250GP race at Laguna Seca?
@captain_jim avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS 300 HPE

Molto Verboso
@captain_jim avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
i like to wear racing leathers/boots... with a tux underneath. The chicks are impressed when I step out of those leathers.

Yes, I am kidding. I wear "all the gear" depending on all the weather. In the heat and humidity of our home area, even a mesh jacket would give you heat-stroke. I would wear comfortable boots if I could find any to fit my fat feet. I sometimes wear shorts when scooting off to lunch. I have been riding for 52 years, so, yes, I do understand the risks.

And, for full disclosure, I have never heard any swooning from those of the female persuasion when I confidently step off my Vespa. While wearing SAS double wide shoes that close with Velcro.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0438s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0205s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]