@vespasfw3 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2006 Vespa GTS250ie, 2004 Vespa ET4, 2022 Royal Enfield Himalayan, 2001 Kawasaki W650, 2023 Honda Trail 125.

Ossessionato
@vespasfw3 avatar
2006 Vespa GTS250ie, 2004 Vespa ET4, 2022 Royal Enfield Himalayan, 2001 Kawasaki W650, 2023 Honda Trail 125.
UTC quote
I always wear leather boots that cover my ankle bone. And I've had them resoled with heavy duty soles that don't wear out as fast. I've looked at the higher and more protective moto-boots but they seem overkill for my riding -- on the Vespa or the BMW K bike.

Here's a look at my boots that I've been wearing for the past 13 years. Lots of repairs to them...
My Wolverine Riding Boots.  They belonged to my father before he died.  As much as he would have hated me riding a part of him is coming along on every adventure.
My Wolverine Riding Boots. They belonged to my father before he died. As much as he would have hated me riding a part of him is coming along on every adventure.
UTC

Ossessionato
2018 Vespa GTS 300 ABS- Bianco

Ossessionato
2018 Vespa GTS 300 ABS- Bianco
UTC quote
After I'd ridden my Vespa for awhile, like many other riders the temptation to go more casual followed the switch from a MC to the scooter. I tried a few riding jeans and the BMW more casual riding pants and none fit my bod and were sold off. As for boots I have a pair of SIDI DOHA's bought just to go casual on my GTS. While they're definitely cooler than my SIDI MC boots given their lower height. They might look like athletic shoes but are much stiffer-soles and uppers both, given their purpose is protection. They are lightweight and cooler though. There are several other similar low boots in that market to compare with.
If I had it to do over, I'd just wear a pair of my hiking boots I already own. maybe not so protective but not like going unprotected either. Once in awhail i do ride in workboots. My workboots nowdays are actually military boots which have changed like most footwear to a far more comfortable design.
never again would I have any desire for boot like the Fabiano! By the time those are broke in many miles have gone by them. new shoes lack that break-in period of not so comfy feet.
@boomiemct avatar
UTC

Addicted
2006 Vespa LX150

Addicted
@boomiemct avatar
2006 Vespa LX150
UTC quote
TCX (and others) make fashionable CE rated moto boots and shoes that are also comfortable to wear. No reason not to wear them really.

I had a low speed spill on my dirt bike, which weighs about as much as a Vespa. I was wearing MX boots. I just got done with the PT to fix my ankle now 2 months later. So, yeah, proper footwear makes sense.
@tonyc avatar
UTC

Hooked
bv350, Brutale 910

Hooked
@tonyc avatar
bv350, Brutale 910
UTC quote
jixaw wrote:
No slip soles...armor around the heel and ankle...

Dainese Street Air boots
just realized these are still available on closet at new enough for $160. Pretty expensive for non "boots", but pretty cheap for Dainese gear...
@wleuthold avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@wleuthold avatar
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)
UTC quote
I usually don't post such information, but this one may fit the thread.

I bought a Hobie Cat sailboat 40 years ago.

The seller was selling because he had been in a motorcycle accident.

He lost a foot and could no longer use the boat comfortably.

Might have been for the money too.

Don't know what kind of boot he was wearing, but accidents are terrible things.

Bill
@mpfrank avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2020 MP3 500 HPE Sport ABS/ASR
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula

Ossessionato
@mpfrank avatar
2020 MP3 500 HPE Sport ABS/ASR
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula
UTC quote
Captain Jim wrote:
And, for full disclosure, I have never heard any swooning from those of the female persuasion when I confidently step off my Vespa. While wearing SAS double wide shoes that close with Velcro.
Maybe you're stepping off at the wrong assisted living facilities.

@captain_jim avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS 300 HPE

Molto Verboso
@captain_jim avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
mpfrank wrote:
Captain Jim wrote:
And, for full disclosure, I have never heard any swooning from those of the female persuasion when I confidently step off my Vespa. While wearing SAS double wide shoes that close with Velcro.
Maybe you're stepping off at the wrong assisted living facilities.

I used to think SAS shoes were for old people. My wife suggested I try a pair years ago... well built and comfortable. Describing the shoes, not the wife. Not cheap, but they have a lot of men's styles in double wide widths. Keeping with the humor, I found these shoes are for those who are... well heeled. (rimshot)

I have some leather chukka boots from SAS, but no real ankle protection. I'll keep looking. For boots in a wide width, not snooping around the assisted living places.
@pigletpilot avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Gina, 1965 Vespa 180SS, Bella,1968 Vespa 150 Super, Mia, 2017 Vespa Primavera 70th Anniversary 150ie, Gabriella, 2017 GTS300 ABS

Molto Verboso
@pigletpilot avatar
Gina, 1965 Vespa 180SS, Bella,1968 Vespa 150 Super, Mia, 2017 Vespa Primavera 70th Anniversary 150ie, Gabriella, 2017 GTS300 ABS
UTC quote
I recently won these, made by Dririder, called the Classic, and since I have been using them (this month) have found them to be very comfortable. I normally wear a size 10.5, (11US, 45EU), these are 11.5, (12US, 46EU) as are my other protective boots. Can't remember the last time I rode without decent boots.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@jixaw avatar
UTC

Hooked
2003 Vespa ET2

Hooked
@jixaw avatar
2003 Vespa ET2
UTC quote
tonyc wrote:
just realized these are still available on closet at new enough for $160. Pretty expensive for non "boots", but pretty cheap for Dainese gear...
direct from dainese was about 125 including shipping...super fast shipping from eu ...get one size larger than you typically would or you will be sad
@tonyc avatar
UTC

Hooked
bv350, Brutale 910

Hooked
@tonyc avatar
bv350, Brutale 910
UTC quote
jixaw wrote:
tonyc wrote:
direct from dainese was about 125 including shipping...super fast shipping from eu ...get one size larger than you typically would or you will be sad
GAH!! Wish I'd seen it on dainese earlier. most of the sizes are sold out.. Crying or Very sad emoticon
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150
UTC quote
Way too few wide riding boots/shoes.
@25bikez avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2022 Liberty 150S-"Meg"-SOLD

Molto Verboso
@25bikez avatar
2022 Liberty 150S-"Meg"-SOLD
UTC quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
Man, you are sooo right. Red Wing seems to it around here.
@flanderswasp avatar
UTC

Addicted
2014 GTS 300ie

Addicted
@flanderswasp avatar
2014 GTS 300ie
UTC quote
I always wear boots that protect ankle. In Belgium, it's required by law anyway. Best option is low boots or shoes with special spotection (pad etc.) for the ankle.

Especially on a Vespa, this is important. When you go down, you instinctively try to avoid falling and put your foot on the ground, and that's the moment where the road and the floorboard (bottom or how you call it) act as a plier that crushed your ankle, which is an often seen injurie when falling on a side with a vespa. Serious injury, even at low speed or even simply falling on the side while standing still.
@captain_jim avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS 300 HPE

Molto Verboso
@captain_jim avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
25BIKEZ wrote:
WEB-Tech wrote:
Has anyone tried the Redwing Zero-G chukka?

http://www.redwingshoes.com/red-wing-shoe/6719-red-wing-shoes/6719-red-wing-mens-chukka-brown

It has an aluminum toe protector and looks like it will cover the ankle bone area.
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up
UTC quote
Captain Jim wrote:
25BIKEZ wrote:
WEB-Tech wrote:
Has anyone tried the Redwing Zero-G chukka?

http://www.redwingshoes.com/red-wing-shoe/6719-red-wing-shoes/6719-red-wing-mens-chukka-brown

It has an aluminum toe protector and looks like it will cover the ankle bone area.
Those look nice, perfect for a Vespa.

I lucked out on Sunday and picked up some Fry's for 50% off at Hudson's Bay. Not too often you see the premium brands get that kind of promo. I love Bay Day's, we also got half off 700 count Egyptian cotton sheets.
@captain_jim avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS 300 HPE

Molto Verboso
@captain_jim avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
I made it to a Redwing store today - and picked up a pair of the Zero-G Chukka Boots. Once in the store, I found they are available with a safety toe, and without. Same size/width boot without the safety toe (aluminum) has a visibly wider toe box - not just the difference of removing the safety toe, the shape is wider through the toe. My fat feet are comfortable in these. $160.

The Redwing selection has changed a lot since I was last in one of their stores.
@amateriat avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)

Ossessionato
@amateriat avatar
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)
UTC quote
Re: First Post, and this is actually good.
Alejandro_Waspa wrote:
So they're really, really, really hard to find: TCX Street Ace.

Reasons to love them: Comfort, stylishly Italian in origin, CE EN 1364:2015 Certified. They look kinda worn out of the box for style reasons, too.

Basically, if you want to look like you have Chuck Taylors on, but want to be CE-1 legal for the track. Here's your new boot (if you can find them)

I paid about $150 brand new for my set, and the distributor said I got the last size 44 in the USA until the next model run/line.

So yeah, humble brag, but also super 10 out of 10 would recommend.
This, in fact, is what I'm gravitating toward.

In the meantime, for long-ish/inclement-weather rides I have a pair of water-resistant Wolverines which should do the job in all but the most-horrific crashes (where I'll have more to worry about than just my feet), and a pair of ankle-covering Clarks for almost everything else. TCX's and/or Red Wings are in my future, although I do have a pair of vented Indian-branded high-tops which purportedly have slightly extra ankle/toe-box protection for warm-weather riding.

But, yes, on the one-mile, straight-shot run to the beach from the house, I've been caught in toe-capped sandals on a really nice day. So sue me.
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
UTC quote
Captain Jim wrote:
I made it to a Redwing store today - and picked up a pair of the Zero-G Chukka Boots. Once in the store, I found they are available with a safety toe, and without. Same size/width boot without the safety toe (aluminum) has a visibly wider toe box - not just the difference of removing the safety toe, the shape is wider through the toe. My fat feet are comfortable in these. $160.

The Redwing selection has changed a lot since I was last in one of their stores.
Great! I love Redwings and am actually wearing a pair right now. My problem with steel toe boots is in the winter the metal freezes and well metal is a good conductor...
OP
@mayorofnow avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS 300 HPE

Molto Verboso
@mayorofnow avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
This just popped up in my YouTube feed:

"Highway 21's Axle shoe is about a 2/10 on the rigidity scale."

Sounds perfect for a scooter. I worry that those soles would wear out in about 3 months though.

Seems the same company also makes a boot that's 4/10 rigidity. Both have very good customer reviews.
UTC

Enthusiast
BV 350, Suzuki VanVan, Triumph Street Twin

Enthusiast
BV 350, Suzuki VanVan, Triumph Street Twin
UTC quote
Most of the time I gear up and wear my Daytonas which I bought for motorcycle touring and I find comfortable enough to wear all day even walking around. Unfortunately, when its hot out and I am just heading to the other side of the neighborhood to go to the pool, I "might" go in just flip flops; and yes, I know it's stupid to do so.
JEB
@max6201 avatar
UTC

Banned
GTS 250, LX 50, and Falcon 200

Banned
@max6201 avatar
GTS 250, LX 50, and Falcon 200
UTC quote
Boots! Boats are a must![/i]
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0222s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0089s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]