OP
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
'07 LX150 (Sold), '17 GTS300, '16 BV350, '15 EN650, '09 FXDF (sold). '15 FLSTN
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5664
Location: Home of the Alamo
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@jet_peddler avatar
'07 LX150 (Sold), '17 GTS300, '16 BV350, '15 EN650, '09 FXDF (sold). '15 FLSTN
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5664
Location: Home of the Alamo
UTC quote
GTS300 on left. BV350 on the right. Harley Fat Bob in the middle. Granted, the Fat Bob is about 8" forward of the other two, but the size comparison gives me a chuckle.

Side by side, both scoots are bigger than the Harley. The Fat Bob is longer and weighs as much as the other two combined, but is still a smaller bike.

Who'd have thunk? Not me.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip
BMW R1100RT The Problem Child Kymco Downtown 300 - I'm not the Uber Honda Cub - Scorched Earth Policy
Joined: UTC
Posts: 20662
Location: South East Great England of Britishland
 
eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
BMW R1100RT The Problem Child Kymco Downtown 300 - I'm not the Uber Honda Cub - Scorched Earth Policy
Joined: UTC
Posts: 20662
Location: South East Great England of Britishland
UTC quote
Gift
Yeah, If you hadn't had pointed that fact out I never would have given it any thought.

Ever.

Bill x
@huntbchsocal avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GTV250:: Et4 150
Joined: UTC
Posts: 237
Location: Huntington Beach, Ca.
 
Hooked
@huntbchsocal avatar
Vespa GTV250:: Et4 150
Joined: UTC
Posts: 237
Location: Huntington Beach, Ca.
UTC quote
Re: This is not an optical illusion...
Jet Peddler wrote:
GTS300 on left. BV350 on the right. Harley Fat Bob in the middle. Granted, the Fat Bob is about 8" forward of the other two, but the size comparison gives me a chuckle.

Side by side, both scoots are bigger than the Harley. The Fat Bob is longer and weighs as much as the other two combined, but is still a smaller bike.

Who'd have thunk? Not me.
Which storage facility is that at and also provide the combo for the lock
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8508
Location: Toronto
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8508
Location: Toronto
UTC quote
Re: This is not an optical illusion...
huntbchsocal wrote:
Jet Peddler wrote:
GTS300 on left. BV350 on the right. Harley Fat Bob in the middle. Granted, the Fat Bob is about 8" forward of the other two, but the size comparison gives me a chuckle.

Side by side, both scoots are bigger than the Harley. The Fat Bob is longer and weighs as much as the other two combined, but is still a smaller bike.

Who'd have thunk? Not me.
Which storage facility is that at and also provide the combo for the lock
It's not like you can take them anywhere, none of them have license plates! I believe them do come with a tin foil helmet though

Mind you no saddlebags . That can make a big difference. Still a great bike! Congrats on getting it.

Mind you it could be he is afraid of you.. and if so bravo!

I dunno, maybe it is a problem in Texas.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@rrider avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3152
Location: Finland
 
Ossessionato
@rrider avatar
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3152
Location: Finland
UTC quote
Before buying and trying out modern Vespas, I had ridden only with old 2-stroke PXs.

I tested first a 300 GTS and that thing felt huge!
The Sprint felt slimmer, but I still could not flat foot

So yeah, I've faced this optical illusion before...
@breaknwind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Red Devil SH150i (10,000)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3255
Location: Orange Park Florida
 
Ossessionato
@breaknwind avatar
Red Devil SH150i (10,000)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3255
Location: Orange Park Florida
UTC quote
I admit, I'm an ass.

Lately I've been toying with a T-shirt idea.

"If you can ride a Harley, you're probably too short to ride my scooter."
OP
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
'07 LX150 (Sold), '17 GTS300, '16 BV350, '15 EN650, '09 FXDF (sold). '15 FLSTN
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5664
Location: Home of the Alamo
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@jet_peddler avatar
'07 LX150 (Sold), '17 GTS300, '16 BV350, '15 EN650, '09 FXDF (sold). '15 FLSTN
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5664
Location: Home of the Alamo
UTC quote
breaknwind wrote:
I admit, I'm an ass.

Lately I've been toying with a T-shirt idea.

"If you can ride a Harley, you're probably too short to ride my scooter."
I love it!
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip
BMW R1100RT The Problem Child Kymco Downtown 300 - I'm not the Uber Honda Cub - Scorched Earth Policy
Joined: UTC
Posts: 20662
Location: South East Great England of Britishland
 
eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
BMW R1100RT The Problem Child Kymco Downtown 300 - I'm not the Uber Honda Cub - Scorched Earth Policy
Joined: UTC
Posts: 20662
Location: South East Great England of Britishland
UTC quote
Snag
A Harley Davidson T shirt should read - If I can't afford this T shirt I sure as hell can't afford the bike.

Bill x
@pmatulew avatar
UTC

Hooked
2009 MP3 400, 2004 Honda ST1300
Joined: UTC
Posts: 411
Location: Sayre, PA
 
Hooked
@pmatulew avatar
2009 MP3 400, 2004 Honda ST1300
Joined: UTC
Posts: 411
Location: Sayre, PA
UTC quote
Not as small as you might think. Liter class touring bike vs. "cute little scooter".
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Joined: UTC
Posts: 7095
Location: Tega Cay, SC
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Joined: UTC
Posts: 7095
Location: Tega Cay, SC
UTC quote
The scooters have bodies, the bike has a frame. I like the lean and mean, but Harleys still handle like barges.
OP
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
'07 LX150 (Sold), '17 GTS300, '16 BV350, '15 EN650, '09 FXDF (sold). '15 FLSTN
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5664
Location: Home of the Alamo
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@jet_peddler avatar
'07 LX150 (Sold), '17 GTS300, '16 BV350, '15 EN650, '09 FXDF (sold). '15 FLSTN
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5664
Location: Home of the Alamo
UTC quote
pmatulew wrote:
Not as small as you might think. Liter class touring bike vs. "cute little scooter".
Don't you mean moped?
@miguel avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5707
Location: Santa Cruz California
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@miguel avatar
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5707
Location: Santa Cruz California
UTC quote
Measuring from the end of the top case to the tip of the front fender, my GTV was just a bit longer than my BMW R1100RT (1100cc) and just as tall. The big difference was in the storage. The GTV has oodles of storage between the top case, pet carrier and the floor.

I always wondered why Vespa didn't make the body/seat lower to the ground. I know it would take up the pet carrier space but, personally, I'd have sacrificed pet carrier space to be able to flat-foot the GTV.

Best
Miguel
UTC

Member
Vespa GTS 250ie
Joined: UTC
Posts: 21
Location: Perth
 
Member
Vespa GTS 250ie
Joined: UTC
Posts: 21
Location: Perth
UTC quote
Miguel wrote:
Measuring from the end of the top case to the tip of the front fender, my GTV was just a bit longer than my BMW R1100RT (1100cc) and just as tall. The big difference was in the storage. The GTV has oodles of storage between the top case, pet carrier and the floor.

I always wondered why Vespa didn't make the body/seat lower to the ground. I know it would take up the pet carrier space but, personally, I'd have sacrificed pet carrier space to be able to flat-foot the GTV.

Best
Miguel
Just be 6'5" it fixes the flat footing problem. That's what I did anyways Razz emoticon
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350
Joined: UTC
Posts: 12110
Location: Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350
Joined: UTC
Posts: 12110
Location: Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
UTC quote
jiminytrickit wrote:
Miguel wrote:
Measuring from the end of the top case to the tip of the front fender, my GTV was just a bit longer than my BMW R1100RT (1100cc) and just as tall. The big difference was in the storage. The GTV has oodles of storage between the top case, pet carrier and the floor.

I always wondered why Vespa didn't make the body/seat lower to the ground. I know it would take up the pet carrier space but, personally, I'd have sacrificed pet carrier space to be able to flat-foot the GTV.

Best
Miguel
Just be 6'5" it fixes the flat footing problem. That's what I did anyways Razz emoticon
Hell, 6'7" does even a better job. Clown emoticon
@waspmike avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold) Now Honda Zoomer X
Joined: UTC
Posts: 4129
Location: Kingdom of Lanna
 
Ossessionato
@waspmike avatar
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold) Now Honda Zoomer X
Joined: UTC
Posts: 4129
Location: Kingdom of Lanna
UTC quote
Jet Peddler wrote:
pmatulew wrote:
Not as small as you might think. Liter class touring bike vs. "cute little scooter".
Don't you mean moped?
Sorry no pedals.
@waspmike avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold) Now Honda Zoomer X
Joined: UTC
Posts: 4129
Location: Kingdom of Lanna
 
Ossessionato
@waspmike avatar
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold) Now Honda Zoomer X
Joined: UTC
Posts: 4129
Location: Kingdom of Lanna
UTC quote
Jet Peddler wrote:
pmatulew wrote:
Not as small as you might think. Liter class touring bike vs. "cute little scooter".
Don't you mean moped?
Sorry no pedals.

As for Hardleys. I thought they were called Fat Boys because of the people that ride them?
@mjrally avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
73 & 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 06 PX150, 59 Ser 2, 65 Silver Special, 90 V5N 50, 2015 HD Road Glide Special
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5150
Location: Oceanside, CA
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@mjrally avatar
73 & 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 06 PX150, 59 Ser 2, 65 Silver Special, 90 V5N 50, 2015 HD Road Glide Special
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5150
Location: Oceanside, CA
UTC quote
You pointed out part of the reason why I own a touring Harley and nothing smaller. Everything smaller was too similar to a Vespa in terms of size and range. Since 55 on a vintage Vespa is a lot more fun than 55 on a softtail, I went to something so different that there would be some challenges/variety.
@fudmucker avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2021 GTS 300 HPE +2013 GTS 300ie + 294 Polini
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2077
Location: Pretoria, South Africa
 
Ossessionato
@fudmucker avatar
2021 GTS 300 HPE +2013 GTS 300ie + 294 Polini
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2077
Location: Pretoria, South Africa
UTC quote
MJRally wrote:
You pointed out part of the reason why I own a touring Harley and nothing smaller. Everything smaller was too similar to a Vespa in terms of size and range. Since 55 on a vintage Vespa is a lot more fun than 55 on a softtail, I went to something so different that there would be some challenges/variety.
It is much more exciting to ride a slow bike really fast,
than it is to ride a really fast bike slowly...

...not that a HD would be a 'really fast bike'.
@waspmike avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold) Now Honda Zoomer X
Joined: UTC
Posts: 4129
Location: Kingdom of Lanna
 
Ossessionato
@waspmike avatar
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold) Now Honda Zoomer X
Joined: UTC
Posts: 4129
Location: Kingdom of Lanna
UTC quote
Fudmucker wrote:
It is much more exciting to ride a slow bike really fast,
than it is to ride a really fast bike slowly...
Why I don't mind riding my NSR250 at the back of the group when riding.
@rrider avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3152
Location: Finland
 
Ossessionato
@rrider avatar
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3152
Location: Finland
UTC quote
Fudmucker wrote:
MJRally wrote:
You pointed out part of the reason why I own a touring Harley and nothing smaller. Everything smaller was too similar to a Vespa in terms of size and range. Since 55 on a vintage Vespa is a lot more fun than 55 on a softtail, I went to something so different that there would be some challenges/variety.
It is much more exciting to ride a slow bike really fast,
than it is to ride a really fast bike slowly...

...not that a HD would be a 'really fast bike'.
To be honest, this is an often heard quotation I've never yet "got"

If one would say "it's much more exciting to ride a light bike rather than a heavy bike in twisties", or among those lines, this I would get.

Slow bike... is just slow. Light bike, bike with agile steering, slim bike (to get a good grip with your feet), low and well placed center of weight etc... all fun to me compared to bulky or too slow steering geometry, awkward weight distribution or bad ergonomics.

Then again, if you'll have a straight road, a good seat, nice ergonomics... a large, heavy bike can be great fun too
UTC

Addicted
BV 350
Joined: UTC
Posts: 943
Location: Nebraska
 
Addicted
BV 350
Joined: UTC
Posts: 943
Location: Nebraska
UTC quote
I think
I tend to be more concerned with weight than bulk when it comes to bikes. So the volume it occupies is a minor concern.

I suspect, by the time you faired up the Harley to provide the same weather protection, and extra bags to provide the cargo capacity, it'd be about the same volume. And it will always be heavy, shaky, and slow. Presumably noisy as well.

Riding a slow bike fast is fun because a normal (non-racer) can usually push the limits of what the bike can do without 'go to jail' speeds. Plan ahead, carry momentum, brake late, corner hard, full throttle out. Challenging, and more a meaure of rider prowess than bike performance.

Fast bikes are more a measure of judgement. My FJR will go 0-60 in almost no time, 120 MPH is barely loafing. It'll tolerate slow riding, but you wonder why you'd want something that big, heavy, and powerful if you are just going to go slow. And you know that it will bite you, hard, if you push it when you shouldn't.
@pmatulew avatar
UTC

Hooked
2009 MP3 400, 2004 Honda ST1300
Joined: UTC
Posts: 411
Location: Sayre, PA
 
Hooked
@pmatulew avatar
2009 MP3 400, 2004 Honda ST1300
Joined: UTC
Posts: 411
Location: Sayre, PA
UTC quote
That in a nutshell is why I adopted the scooter. Found myself dipping in to the afterburners of the big bike way too often. With half the horsepower and no warp drive I can entertain myself and the challenge the machine without being way out in "go directly to jail" territory.

Save the big bike for long trips and heavy two-up adventures.
@lynnb avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2543
 
Ossessionato
@lynnb avatar
1963 VBB2T
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2543
UTC quote
Our Victory bikes make the Harley's look miniature.
OP
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
'07 LX150 (Sold), '17 GTS300, '16 BV350, '15 EN650, '09 FXDF (sold). '15 FLSTN
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5664
Location: Home of the Alamo
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@jet_peddler avatar
'07 LX150 (Sold), '17 GTS300, '16 BV350, '15 EN650, '09 FXDF (sold). '15 FLSTN
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5664
Location: Home of the Alamo
UTC quote
Re: I think
Jimding wrote:
I tend to be more concerned with weight than bulk when it comes to bikes. So the volume it occupies is a minor concern.

I suspect, by the time you faired up the Harley to provide the same weather protection, and extra bags to provide the cargo capacity, it'd be about the same volume. And it will always be heavy, shaky, and slow. Presumably noisy as well.

Riding a slow bike fast is fun because a normal (non-racer) can usually push the limits of what the bike can do without 'go to jail' speeds. Plan ahead, carry momentum, brake late, corner hard, full throttle out. Challenging, and more a meaure of rider prowess than bike performance.

Fast bikes are more a measure of judgement. My FJR will go 0-60 in almost no time, 120 MPH is barely loafing. It'll tolerate slow riding, but you wonder why you'd want something that big, heavy, and powerful if you are just going to go slow. And you know that it will bite you, hard, if you push it when you shouldn't.
All on target except the shaky and slow. This bike is neither.
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8508
Location: Toronto
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8508
Location: Toronto
UTC quote
Some of the reasons here are why I love my stable. Malossi kitted 300 Vespa, BMW C650GT and Ural GU. All of them are very different and serve different purposes. Vespa is a blast to ride as is the BMW however it is much better suited to the highway and 2 up riding. The Ural is a workhorse and best suited for off road and large packages as well as taking passengers including one of our dogs. While I can understand the wanting of a HD for a variety of reasons it's not me. Now mind you it takes up a LOT more room than that fat boy.
OP
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
'07 LX150 (Sold), '17 GTS300, '16 BV350, '15 EN650, '09 FXDF (sold). '15 FLSTN
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5664
Location: Home of the Alamo
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@jet_peddler avatar
'07 LX150 (Sold), '17 GTS300, '16 BV350, '15 EN650, '09 FXDF (sold). '15 FLSTN
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5664
Location: Home of the Alamo
UTC quote
Harbinger wrote:
Some of the reasons here are why I love my stable. Malossi kitted 300 Vespa, BMW C650GT and Ural GU. All of them are very different and serve different purposes. Vespa is a blast to ride as is the BMW however it is much better suited to the highway and 2 up riding. The Ural is a workhorse and best suited for off road and large packages as well as taking passengers including one of our dogs. While I can understand the wanting of a HD for a variety of reasons it's not me. Now mind you it takes up a LOT more room than that fat boy.
For me, the Fat Bob was simply a business move.
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8291
Location: Latina (Italy)
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8291
Location: Latina (Italy)
UTC quote
You are missing a quad ...
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee
 

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com


All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.


[ Time: 0.0293s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0087s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]